Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2018 Overall Production Roadmap (updated 19th January)

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited April 2017
    kikoodutroa8 said:
    Wasn't 3.0 supposed to go live last year? 'Cos well, if all they have now is the schedule for it, what was done about 3.0 all this time?
    No, it wasn't.

There was no schedule for 3.x release - this is the first time release date announcement or otherwise proposed.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Did they hope to have "3.0" last year? Sure.

Did they release "3.0" last year? Well .......yes and no. 

Last year "3.0" was a "bunch of stuff". With whatever "key features" they wanted nailed before they moved to version 3.0. And looking at the schedule it was "networking stuff" - the long purple bars on teh schedule - that was deemed to be not up to what they wanted for 3.0.

They could have called 2.6 version 3.0; its just a version number after all. And 2.6 did deliver significant advancements and was well received. Looking at the schedule however network performance didn't clear whatever bar they had set for version 3.0. So they opted instead to call it 2.6.

Which is how it goes. As @rpmcmurphy ;says - the version of 3.0 they are planning to release in summer won't(?) include mining.

You have different teams doing different stuff and its about integrating them together. If 3.0 had released last year all the other stuff in the schedule that started in 2017 wouldn't have been included. Yet 3.0 would have been released! 

The bottom line is you have to look at the whole. And remember that outside of key elements the scope isn't fixed for these interim version numbers.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited April 2017
    rpmcmurphy said:
     strangely there's no mention of mining in either schedule.

btw this was clarified, mining is not there because it doesn't have a schedule yet so they don't know on what update it will be, so either that will be 3.0 or not is something we will known on the next schedule updates.

@gervaise1 ^^
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

MaxBacon said:

rpmcmurphy said:
     strangely there's no mention of mining in either schedule.

btw this was clarified, mining is not there because it doesn't have a schedule yet so they don't know on what update it will be, so either that will be 3.0 or not is something we will known on the next schedule updates.

@gervaise1 ^^

Obviously something they feel they can just "drop in" when its ready.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Erillion said:

sayuu said:

Like every time this project has released a timeline:

"I'll believe it when I see it"

Like 2.6 ? And 2.6.1 ? And 2.6.2 ?

That is the reason why they now show the production schedule.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Have fun

No, but really, do you think they will make the target... June? I mean... June for 3.0? Do you trust they will make the cuttoff...? They missed their promise of December. Why would you believe June? What I love about this is that they will probably will make this arbitrary, extended date and people like you will say, triumphantly, "I told you so!"

Yeah, 6 months later and without the features they promised. The only thing that is certain is that they will extremely under-deliver. 

I guess I hope they do deliver a proper 3.0. But what about 3.1? I would just recommend they lie and say tiny updates are full updates at this point. They already lie a lot, so why not?

It's honestly disturbing how little they have through 2017. . June is the day they will finally come through with a update that matters at all... and the game will still be subpar?!?! It's embarrassing how long it takes them to make simple advances.

I remember ~2 years ago when I was somewhat excited for this game. I was a huge EVE fanatic and was generally a space sim fan (maybe not a pure fanatic of space sim). But this has been an embarrassment. That they actually have a release date of June should be embarrassing, even for the fans. How much money did they collect based on the pretense that 3.0 was coming in December? And what kind of an asshole thinks that is ok?
    edited April 2017
    BeansnBread said:
    They missed their promise of December.

They never promised to release 3.0 in 12/2016...

Gdemami said:

BeansnBread said:

They promised SQ42 in 2016. Allow me to find the other info.
    edited April 2017

gervaise1 said:

Obviously something they feel they can just "drop in" when its ready.

I think it's more they haven't tackled mining on the actual production timeline.

As mining was hinted as a possibility for 3.0 they seem to be waiting before either confirm that or keep it on 3.1.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    @BeansnBread

>>>> No, but really, do you think they will make the target... June? <<<<      

My answer to that is : it does not matter to me.  I want the game when its ready. Whenever that is.          

In a tested, almost bug free, polished, performance-optimized, complete and fun-to-play state.             

Have fun

It was on the SQ42 intro page
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42

2016 was mentioned there. Now they have removed that number. Maybe you still have an old screenshot.

CIG already told us backers in October 2016 that SQ42 wont be out in 2016. Old news.

Have fun

Erillion said:

@BeansnBread

>>>> No, but really, do you think they will make the target... June? <<<<      

My answer to that is : it does not matter to me.  I want the game when its ready. Whenever that is.          

In a tested, almost bug free, polished, performance-optimized, complete and fun-to-play state.             

Have fun

And that is why this is so interesting. People allow them  to have zero accountability. I am honestly interested to see the outcome of this project. And I hope people continue to donate aggressively like they have been. 2018... 2019... 2025... whatever. As long as this keeps going on, I'll be intrigued by the followers.

Erillion said:

It was on the SQ42 intro page
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42

2016 was mentioned there. Now they have removed that number. Maybe you still have an old screenshot.

CIG already told us backers in October 2016 that SQ42 wont be out in 2016. Old news.

Have fun

2016 was literally on their page until like November 2016. Maybe December 2016, I just didn't check that month.

Oh, hey... here it is. So, when IS it coming out? 2019?
    edited April 2017
    >>> In a tested, almost bug free, polished, performance-optimized, complete and fun-to-play state. >>

If i want an untested, bug-ridden, unpolished, performance-castrated-console-compatible, incomplete-but-day-zero-DLC-available-for-money, no-fun-because-we-had-no-time-for-balancing state ..... then i can buy one of the typical Call of Battlefield Warfare Nummero 14 clones that are so prevalent these days.

That is why i am one of the backers that say: "I can wait. Its done when its done. "

Have fun

PS:
    >>> So, when IS it coming out? 2019?  >>>

When it is ready.

BeansnBread said:

There a was molecular hydrogen found on Saturn’s moon Enceladus which seems to indicate suitable conditions for microbial life!
    Sad!
    edited April 2017

Erillion said:

>>> In a tested, almost bug free, polished, performance-optimized, complete and fun-to-play state. >>

If i want an untested, bug-ridden, unpolished, performance-castrated-console-compatible, incomplete-but-day-zero-DLC-available-for-money, no-fun-because-we-had-no-time-for-balancing state ..... then i can buy one of the typical Call of Battlefield Warfare Nummero 14 clones that are so prevalent these days.

That is why i am one of the backers that say: "I can wait. Its done when its done. "

Have fun

PS:
    >>> So, when IS it coming out? 2019?  >>>

When it is ready.

Right... when it's ready. So their claims were complete bullshit and might be passed up by years. What an embarrassment. But not just that... what a terrible thing to happen to the people that donated and care about their development. Just wait, and someday we might say something that is honest!

Gdemami said:

BeansnBread said:

There a was molecular hydrogen found on Saturn’s moon Enceladus which seems to indicate suitable conditions for microbial life!

The "other" info:

Gravitational waves have been found by LIGO. From the last second of the life of two superheavy black holes that lived billions of years ... and we listened in on the last second of their existence just before they merged.

CERN has discovered a new class of particles (pentaquarks).

The first MOAB dropped onto an enemy target was painted orange - for obvious reasons.

Have fun
    >>> So their claims were complete bullshit and might be passed up by years. >>>

Welcome to the computer gaming industry in general.

Have fun
    edited April 2017

Erillion said:

>>> So their claims were complete bullshit and might be passed up by years. >>>

Welcome to the computer gaming industry in general.

Have fun

Oh.. .well then. You get it. Everyone lies. Like CIG.
    edited April 2017
    Gdemami said:

BeansnBread said:

You do understand how ridiculous it is that SQ42 was promised in 2016... in 2015. During 2016, they even had their 2016 release page asked for donations through November, which is, at least in my opinion, terrible. Even the minor update (relatively) was not released by 2016 (now the "expected date" is June 2017). If your point is that I am ignorant because they have failed to deliver 3.0 by December, and they never promised December, you got me buddy.
    edited April 2017
    BeansnBread said:
    If your point is that I am ignorant because they have failed to deliver 3.0 by December, and they never promised December, you got me buddy.

They didn't fail to deliver 3.0 by December because they were never to release it by December 2016....

Do you understand that 3.0 and SQ42 are not one and the same thing? You seem to be using those two interchangeably and hoping from one to another.

edited April 2017
    On the released video on the schedule, someone gathered what was readable from some boards and organized it bellow:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IweXXyJOjraFF70n6GcMKh5GLCtl6Uzu5dLCxfD4Fs0/edit#gid=0

Seems to be related of what's the LA studio up to and mostly post-3.0 stuff.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited April 2017

Erillion said:
    From recent monthly reports:

What was one of the first things they did in 2017 ? You guessed it .. A.I. :
    "For AI, 2017 started with a one-week summit in the Los Angeles studio: we went through several topics that will be important for the improvements we want to do during the new year."

"The team has also been developing the core foundation of our AI movement."

And speaking about performance improvements:
    "....Since the tech content team supports and implements every pipeline within Star Citizen and Squadron 42, one of their main focuses have been performance improvements. "

Have fun

Recent reports are not really useful for something that was meant to come out 4 months ago.

I don't see how either of those quotes indicate their reasoning for delaying 3.0

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Gdemami said:

BeansnBread said:

Maybe not in those exact words but it was stated that 3.0 would be coming before the 19th of December as end-of-year content and that they didn't want a repeat of 2015 where they were working to the last mnute to push the patch out.
    So it wasn't literally promised but the wording and context implied it was as good as promised.