Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - How Did Zelda Out-MMORPG our MMORPGs? - MMORPG.com

Comments

• vectrexevovectrexevo Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Zelda breath of the wild is a really nice single player game. MMORPG it can never be.. MSORPG it is (well, with out the O, but you do need the O to get updates and DLC's)
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    You can play this game on the pc , I have it , you will need fast gpu, use the fitgirl re-pack version. Just install and play

Runs great, and im using Xbox afterglow controller

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

DMKano said:

Dragnelus said:

It was just a piece of how he likes Zelda Breath of the wild a lot.

Where the article goes aideways are the points how some of these single player game features could be taken out and plopped into a MMO design and that it would make a MMO feel as awesome as Zelda Breath of the Wild.

Sadly MMO design doesnt work like that at all. Features in single player games work well because they are all supported well with all other features to make a cohesive whole gameplay awesome.

Animal AI in a MMO wouldnt have nearly the same impact as it does in Zelda for example, it would be cool but nowhere as impacrful.

Saga of Ryzom would like to have a word with you about animal AI in an mmo. They did it in the ninteties and its still impressive till this day.

Too bad devs won't do it.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Love this article and agree. It outdid every single MMO Trait it implemented . The MMO Genre began dying years ago when innovation was summed up to (WOW and lets change this one thing). Innovation was put aside for cloning, every company chasing the golden ticket.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193

dontadow said:

... It outdid every single MMO Trait it implemented...

Except the one thing that is actually MMO about an MMO.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Well i have to applaud MMORPG on this one. If they are going to babble about a non MMORPG then better it be this masterpiece than the garbage that is mass effect 3 . I mean christ that one writer for this site wrote like 12 articles on ME3 and zelda got 2 maybe 3??? Talk about a agenda lol
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited April 2017
    Guys, you don't have to state the obvious to try and refute the article. Obviously the article is not talking about the online(mmo) part. Zelda is a single player game. It "out-mmorpg" an mmorpg in terms of other gameplay features, not the online aspect of it. /facepalm.

Saying you only play mmorpgs because of your guild and social interactions just to bash this article, and then go to other articles to bash actual mmorpgs for the lack of other features/content is funny, don't you think? That's what this article is about, pointing out stuff mmorpgs SHOULD do(take notes), that a game like zelda is doing better even in a different genre/type of game.

And no, i don't like when single player games get compared to mmorpgs. However, unless you have been living under a rock for years, you are aware that (unfortunately) mmorpgs are becoming more and more single player oriented while (unfortunately again) single player games are adopting more and more repetitive tasks found in mmos.

My thoughts.

• BestinnaBestinna Member UncommonPosts: 190
    this zelda game beats every mmo there is or ever has been
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545

Guys, you don't have to state the obvious to try and refute the article. Obviously the article is not talking about the online(mmo) part. Zelda is a single player game. It "out-mmorpg" an mmorpg in terms of other gameplay features, not the online aspect of it. /facepalm.

Saying you only play mmorpgs because of your guild and social interactions just to bash this article, and then go to other articles to bash actual mmorpgs for the lack of other features/content is funny, don't you think? That's what this article is about, pointing out stuff mmorpgs SHOULD do(take notes), that a game like zelda is doing better even in a different genre/type of game.

And no, i don't like when single player games get compared to mmorpgs. However, unless you have been living under a rock for years, you are aware that (unfortunately) mmorpgs are becoming more and more single player oriented while (unfortunately again) single player games are adopting more and more repetitive tasks found in mmos.

My thoughts.

The point is that pointing out all of Zelda's single player features doesn't change that they are either unfeasible or simply wouldn't work in an MMO environment.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

DMKano said:

TimEisen said:

DMKano said:

Distopia said:

DMKano said:

Distopia said:

DMKano said:

It out-mmorpgd what?

Funny I didnt see a single one of my guildies in game when I played Zelda......

I play mmos because of my guild, and interacrion with other players - zelda has none of this.

Seriously - can we stop comparing what is possible in a single player game running locally vs a client-server game with 100s of thousands connected globally to game servers?

Really?

It's funny that if you had read the article you'd know what he was saying, he even used your SP vs MP comment as one of the obvious rebuttals to come, you'd also have noticed he did a good job of explaining what he meant there, and why such rebuttals are needless to the discussion he was trying to create...

That goes for most comments in this thread lmao. Read before commenting peeps....

I read it - still don't agree with his points, hence my comments.

It is still OK to disagree with points that articles make, right?

If you read it you'd know that.."but what about other players or MP designs etc"... was all taken into account in the article... so why even bring that up?

Because the basic idea of the article is flawed IMO - that's why I disagree with it.

You cannot "recreate" the awesomeness and immersion of a single player game like Zelda The Breath of the Wild and pull that off in a MMO with 1000s of players running around.

Single player features do not simply translate to MMO game design.

Even if you copy all the features 100% - Zelda "the MMO" would not feel the same with other players running around in the same world with you - the game would feel completely different.

This is why things that work great in single player games - they STAY in single player games, because MMO game design is VASTLY different.

Apples and Oranges.

But the features I poinited to were taken from MMORPG's and done smarter in Zelda meaning MMOs could take them back and do similar. Modified, but similar. I'm not sure the jump from GW2 to Zelda and back is that impossible.

But the features are not what makes the game, its how all the features are put together to compliment eachother and support the overall game design - that is a lot more important.

Again look at Revelation Online - crapton of features, but they dont mesh well together thus making the overall game crappy.

What makes Zelda so awesome is HOW all the features are put together to make for a cohesive single player game.

It would make a horrible MMO, youd have to alter almost everyt feature to make Zelda Breath of the wild into a compelling MMO game.

Thats the problem, we often focus on individual features but dont consider why they are so good - because the rest of the game is designed to support those features.

First my apologies earlier, my meaning was that you sounded like Axehilt, not that you were him. And I don't want that taken wrong. Very intelligent guy, grown out of an imagination IMHO. 

How could I ever be so silly to think that a weather system  like Zelda's could ever be implemented in a Virtual World MMORPG.

"Been there, done that" IMHO that sums up the MMORPG today.

The developers had the sense to reimagine the Zelda franchise and the skill to do it Masterfully. That's just another thing MMORPG's can learn.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

DMKano said:

No but the constraints of a MMORPG are tremendous in comparison to a single player game.

It's orders of magnitude different - so style an imagination are not getting lost - just the reality of client-server code with 1000s of players in a single world, you are talking about MAJOR constraints in terms of what can be done  and what can't.

Single player games don't have to worry about anything like that at all.

So since the constraints are so much higher in MMORPG - you have a LOT LESS room for doing something really drastic and "out of the box"

I think players don't give a shit about this anymore.   Whether there are valid constraints that hold back MMORPGs,  technology, budget or any other types.

Players are simply leaving this genre for greener pastures.

MMORPG genre will either overcome their long-standing obstacles or continue currrent downward spiral into land of low budgets and increasingly niche audiences.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited April 2017

Tiamat64 said:

My thoughts.

The point is that pointing out all of Zelda's single player features doesn't change that they are either unfeasible or simply wouldn't work in an MMO environment.

It's not the single player features. It's features that we know work well in mmorpgs but they(mmo devs/publishers) rather omit them to take the easy way out, yet a game like zelda is doing their job for them in a game that is not even an mmorpg.

EDIT: I think mmo publishers just don't want to take the  risk with mmos. So they shouldn't expect to make money either if they aren't doing their jobs. As long as they keep doing this, the vicious cycle will continue. Make shitty games, don't make money, game dies, rinse and repeat (but this applies to all genres/types)

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

TimEisen said:

IMHO writer needs to check himself and see what site he is writing for. That said, as much as I hate to I have to agree.

I'm guessing Skyrim also Out-MMORPGed our MMORPGs including its actual MMORPG version, Elder Scrolls Online?

Yes actually. I've said that as well.

Yeah because who gives a shit about massively multiplayer literally being the defining factor of a MMO.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Also couldn't read all of it because of an ad in the way.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Best part of an MMO... Playing with my friends. Great read nonetheless, will be buying a Nintendo someday to play this.
  • trostoltrostol Member UncommonPosts: 6
    seems like a lot of Single Player games are going to an MMO style of qust giving
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515

Dragnelus said:

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC33bFcdpvg

Please watch this. Ryzom seriously needs to be remade. Want to see animal AI in an mmo? Here it is.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    BANISH TIMMY!!!! He brought a Poverty Box into our midst.....He is unpure....He is sullen...LOL!!!
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Sovrath said:

Hey Tim, nice article (though I don't really think it's Zelda "out-mmorpging" an mmorpg as that implies multiplayer.

I do think you might want to read it over again as there are spelling mistakes and and at least one sentence that might need changing:

The Korok Seed’s relating to explore and inventory space and cooking relating to explore and survival are perfect examples of this

probably should read:

The Korok Seeds' relation to exploration and inventory space or how cooking relates to exploration and survival are perfect examples of this

someone has too much time on their hands
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

DMKano said:

Sovrath said:

Sovrath said:

Hey Tim, nice article (though I don't really think it's Zelda "out-mmorpging" an mmorpg as that implies multiplayer.

I do think you might want to read it over again as there are spelling mistakes and and at least one sentence that might need changing:

The Korok Seed’s relating to explore and inventory space and cooking relating to explore and survival are perfect examples of this

probably should read:

The Korok Seeds' relation to exploration and inventory space or how cooking relates to exploration and survival are perfect examples of this

That's my fault. :) Fixing!

Though I have to say if the Korok Seed is a singular then it should be seed's. If there are more then one then obviously. ...

I can't get my hand on a switch as of yet so I don't know ... : (

You can play it on WiiU - same game, plays the same too.

except the WiiU sucks ass. if you can hold off i strongly suggest waiting till you get a switch
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    We gotta stop comparing single-player games to MMOs. While I understand its inevitable, its pointless. Would I like if MMOs were like Zelda or Skyrim? Sure, but realistically I doubt that will happen. At least not for a VERY long time.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Sulaa said:

DMKano said:

No but the constraints of a MMORPG are tremendous in comparison to a single player game.

It's orders of magnitude different - so style an imagination are not getting lost - just the reality of client-server code with 1000s of players in a single world, you are talking about MAJOR constraints in terms of what can be done  and what can't.

Single player games don't have to worry about anything like that at all.

So since the constraints are so much higher in MMORPG - you have a LOT LESS room for doing something really drastic and "out of the box"

I think players don't give a shit about this anymore.   Whether there are valid constraints that hold back MMORPGs,  technology, budget or any other types.

Players are simply leaving this genre for greener pastures.

MMORPG genre will either overcome their long-standing obstacles or continue currrent downward spiral into land of low budgets and increasingly niche audiences.

@Sulaa

I'm fine with this.   The games that I've put my most time into have been  Runescape, WurmOnline, Haven and Hearth, and EvE.    Right now I'm working on Screeps to get there.

Sure I've had fun in FFXIV and a few others from that mold.   But I can't seriously consider games from that mold to be something that (I think) should get as much attention as it does.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Moxom914 said:

DMKano said:

Sovrath said:

Sovrath said:

probably should read:

That's my fault. :) Fixing!

Though I have to say if the Korok Seed is a singular then it should be seed's. If there are more then one then obviously. ...

I can't get my hand on a switch as of yet so I don't know ... : (

You can play it on WiiU - same game, plays the same too.

except the WiiU sucks ass. if you can hold off i strongly suggest waiting till you get a switch

The Switch is extremely overpriced for what you get and has issues.  Better to find a used Wii-U if you want to play Zelda, there is virtually no difference in the look and feel of the game.