Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2018 Overall Production Roadmap (updated 19th January)

MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
edited January 2018 in Star Citizen
After quite a while, 3.0 has finally been released, With that milestone reached, the development continues and there is a new overhaul roadmap to be posted later this month.

As some might know, the feature-driven updates approach of SC has been dropped for a date-driven one. This means X or Y feature will not be imposing if it can't be done by X date, giving preference to release what they have implemented instead.

The next update, Alpha 3.1, is scheduled for late March.

Until the full schedule comes up, the 2018 note can be seen here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/Schedule-report-05012018
Post edited by MaxBacon on
WalkinGlennGruug

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited April 2017
    Good to see they've finally got the schedule up.  If they manage to hit
    this target we might see 3.1 before the year is out as well.

Edit: Read a post saying 3.0 has been slimmed down quite a bit. Apparently planets are now being released in later
    patches ie ArcCorp/Area 18 in 3.1 Hurston, Crusader and MicroTech in 3.2, so for the time being we'll be able to land on moons rather than planets like originally planned, strangely there's no mention of mining in either schedule.
    Post edited by rpmcmurphy on
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Good to see they've finally got the schedule up.  If they manage to hit this target we might see 3.1 before the year is out as well.

Yeah, even if that target gets dragged by 2 or 3 months, they would still have 3 or 4 months to work on a 3.1 build. 

I just hope the network efforts will finally show fruits on 3.0 so we can finally move past the FPS madness.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    And now ... a Squadron 42 schedule please !

Have fun
    TybostDarkpigeon

Erillion said:

Have fun

That would be very nice.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Getting there guess!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Erillion said:

Have fun

What? According to just released schedule for 3.x,  SQ 42 is unlikely to be out before the end of 2018...

Gdemami said:

Erillion said:

Have fun

What? According to just released schedule for 3.x,  SQ 42 is unlikely to be out before the end of 2018...

OR ... you could read what they write ...

"....Also note, this schedule does not represent everything CIG
    is working on, but more the functionality and content we feel
    comfortable committing to at this time. Outside of the work on Squadron
    42, we have a few research projects that, once validated, we would move
    into production and add to this schedule....."

Have fun
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Wasn't 3.0 supposed to go live last year? 'Cos well, if all they have now is the schedule for it, what was done about 3.0 all this time?
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited April 2017
    Here's an update on the CIG forums.... now a twitter like clusterfuck....the only thing good about it is the middle finger emoji.
    bcbully

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Wasn't 3.0 supposed to go live last year? 'Cos well, if all they have now is the schedule for it, what was done about 3.0 all this time?

Yes, they planned it to go live in 2016.

They've been trying to reach live status all the time. The problem is that either they really suck at estimating the work needed, or they really suck at completing that work. I hope it's the former and not the latter.

Vrika said:

They've been trying to reach live status all the time. The problem is that either they really suck at estimating the work needed, or they really suck at completing that work. I hope it's the former and not the latter.

Or they ran into some problems ... which incidently they DID communicate to everyone that wanted to listen. That caused the delay.

Their biggest bones to chew at the moment are the NSC AI  and network performance.

More detailed information can be found in the monthly studio reports.

Have fun

Erillion said:

Vrika said:

Or they ran into some problems ... which incidently they DID communicate to everyone that wanted to listen. That caused the delay.

Their biggest bones to chew at the moment are the NSC AI  and network performance.

Have fun

I disagree and I would like to see an example of this, unless there is some form of hidden Mafia speak then I have never seen them point to blockers for 3.0 and say this is what is causing our delay.

They've talked plenty about tech and features that are going to be in 3.0 and shown how some of that is progressing but that is as far as it has gone.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited April 2017
    Wait, am I retarded? (Not that rhetorical) When will they release 3.0 (the thing that would dramatically change the game in December?)

I think donators at least deserve a timeline... perhaps even a release date.
    edited April 2017
    'Cos well, if all they have now is the schedule for it, what was done about 3.0 all this time?
    You can check on the schedule the list of what was been completed for 3.0, side of what was not.

Wait, am I retarded? (Not that rhetorical) When will they release 3.0 (the thing that would dramatically change the game in December?)

Ya click the link on the first post and you get both the timeline and current estimate for its release.

MaxBacon said:

Ya click the link on the first post and you get both the timeline and current estimate for its release.

So, I mean, I am too stupid to understand the clickies. When does 3.0 come out?
    bcbully

Erillion said:

Have fun

I disagree and I would like to see an example of this, unless there is some form of hidden Mafia speak then I have never seen them point to blockers for 3.0 and say this is what is causing our delay.

They've talked plenty about tech and features that are going to be in 3.0 and shown how some of that is progressing but that is as far as it has gone.

From recent monthly reports:

What was one of the first things they did in 2017 ? You guessed it .. A.I. :

"For AI, 2017 started with a one-week summit
    in the Los Angeles studio: we went through several topics that will be
    important for the improvements we want to do during the new year."

"The team has also been developing the core foundation of our AI
    movement."

And speaking about performance improvements:

"....Since the tech content team supports and implements every pipeline
    within Star Citizen and Squadron 42, one of their main focuses have been
    performance improvements. "

Have fun

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    edited April 2017
    Like every time this project has released a timeline:

"I'll believe it when I see it"

This project has had only one consistent when it has come to scheduling, that is the inability to keep announced schedules.  

MaxBacon said:

Its already written in the OPs first post ... and i quote:

"The date that was given for the release of 3.0, currently stands at June 29th."

You can also see it in the lower right of the production schedule pictures.

Have fun

Erillion said:

MaxBacon said:

Its already written in the OPs first post ... and i quote:

"The date that was given for the release of 3.0, currently stands at June 29th."

You can also see it in the lower right of the production schedule pictures.

Have fun

Thanks... So 6 months later.

So... do you think they will extend that timeline?

sayuu said:

Like 2.6 ? And 2.6.1 ? And 2.6.2 ?

That is the reason why they now show the production schedule.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Have fun

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

Erillion said:

sayuu said:

Have fun

and how many dates have they missed?

is it more than 3?

(you don't have to answer that, because we both know the answer is yes.)

So... do you think they will extend that timeline?

Likely so, but depends very much how they will want to do it.

If something might drags the update for too long they might exclude it to a future update instead, that's why it depends on what they want to do.

Asm0deus said:

Here's an update on the CIG forums.... now a twitter like clusterfuck....the only thing good about it is the middle finger emoji.

Here is an update on @Asm0deus post -

he is presenting his own personal opinion as "the universal one and only truth".

Everyone - feel free to check it out yourself
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/

Have fun
    edited April 2017

sayuu said:
    ---

This is the 2nd major update (the biggest one to date yet btw) that is put on the Production Schedule, this is not a "shiny" release date estimate thrown at a game conference and comes from the actual review of the entire production and the status/deadlines of every task. But it still is one estimate, not solid or promised dates.

That's why you would be better why watching how the production of 3.0 progresses every week as that is updated to have the better idea of how close it is.

sayuu said:

Erillion said:

sayuu said:

Have fun

and how many dates have they missed?

is it more than 3?

(you don't have to answer that, because we both know the answer is yes.)

Of the examples i gave above ?  1 out of 3 missed. By a few  days.

If you mean the overall project ... several dates have been missed. Especially the 3.0 we are talking about here.  Which is not unusual for the video game industry. The only difference is ... in this crowdfunding open development project you DO hear about the delays. In most other game projects you never hear about the delays - which happen the same way as in SC - because you only hear about the game once its ready for launch in approx. 6 months. That is when the marketing machine starts to roll. Delays happen in other projects too - but no one is there to ask for reasons for the delay as no one knows about the game at that point.

Have fun