Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Rise of Agon - How Agon Is Rising to the Challenge - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageDarkfall: Rise of Agon - How Agon Is Rising to the Challenge - MMORPG.com

As the official launch of Big Picture Games' Darkfall: Rise of Agon nears, we wanted to touch base with the team to find out how things are going and what they believe will make players want to return to the Darkfall universe. See what they had to say in our exclusive interview.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• grumbagzgrumbagz Member UncommonPosts: 35
    As a DFO vet they really have fixed a lot of the core issues that lingered towards the end. Looking forward to see what they can do post launch.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    So are people who already purchased Darkfall in the past going to purchase it again?
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

Asheram said:

So are people who already purchased Darkfall in the past going to purchase it again?

There is not a purchase price, only the $9.99 subscription fee.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Kilrain said:

Asheram said:

Really? Ok I'm in then at least for a month anyhow. Is New Dawn doing the same thing too with just the sub fee needed to gain access?
  • cort1cort1 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    From the development changes and transparency that i've seen from Big picture games, I am super excited for the future of Darkfall. The players are making the mmo they used to play, that's crazy! Love where the game is at right now and im even more excited for their future patches.

May 5th launch can't come soon enough :D
  • mirimkomirimko Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Its time to back home  =)
  • lrmxlrmx Member UncommonPosts: 1
    @Asheram, New Dawn is currently in beta for at least three months, they have similar package costing 20$ that include the game, the beta accesss and two months of play time at the release.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Kilrain said:

Asheram said:

Well that wins my sub for at least 1 month. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited April 2017
    ... UO , AC , Shadowbane .. all 3 had skill caps and depreciating returns ... Agon without any skill caps will fail just as the other 2 versions did ... You just dont get it do you ....

Keeping an eye on Darkfall (Dawn) they are addressing this glaring problem with Darkfalls core features ..
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Scorchien said:
    ... UO , AC , Shadowbane .. all 3 had skill caps and depreciting returns ... Agon without any skill caps will fail just as the other 2 versions did ... You just dont get it do you ....

Keeping an eye on Darkfall (Dawn) they are addressing this glaring problem with Darkfalls core features ..
    What happens with no skill cap?
    edited April 2017

Scorchien said:

... UO , AC , Shadowbane .. all 3 had skill caps and depreciating returns ... Agon without any skill caps will fail just as the other 2 versions did ... You just dont get it do you ....

I disagree. Darkfall Online failed for one reason, the mismanagement of the game by AV. Nothing else comes close to hurting the game as much as AV did. This is highlighted by the fact that DFUW the second iteration of Darkfall HAD a skill cap initially and it failed even harder than DFO.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    grumbagz said:

Scorchien said:

I disagree. Darkfall Online failed for one reason, the mismanagement of the game by AV. Nothing else comes close to hurting the game as much as AV did. This is highlighted by the fact that DFUW the second iteration of Darkfall HAD a skill cap initially and it failed even harder than DFO.
    Beg to disagree, the original Darkfall failed because of the absence  of skill caps.  Yes, AV mismanaged the game, but that was minor to the abuse of people macroing skills to the nth level.

If this game has no skill caps it too will die, just a braindead design decision.  
    edited April 2017

Ozmodan said:

grumbagz said:

Scorchien said:

Beg to disagree, the original Darkfall failed because of the absence  of skill caps.  Yes, AV mismanaged the game, but that was minor to the abuse of people macroing skills to the nth level.

If this game has no skill caps it too will die, just a braindead design decision.  

Again, AV had two iterations of darkfall, DFO and DFUW. One with no skill caps and one with a skill cap. Both failed but the one with the skill cap failed much faster than it's counter part. The common factor here is the company that failed to manage and properly patch both games. To say the damage AV did was minor is just foolish.
  • RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507
    lol to whoever thinks a game fails with or without skill caps.

I would consider myself a pretty normal mmoprg player.

And skill caps has absolutely no reason whatsoever on why I did not play Darkfall.

It was a piece of dog doo for many many reasons; far too many for me to list.

grumbagz said:

Ozmodan said:

grumbagz said:

Scorchien said:

Again, AV had two iterations of darkfall, DFO and DFUW. One with no skill caps and one with a skill cap. Both failed but the one with the skill cap failed much faster than it's counter part. The common factor here is the company that failed to manage and properly patch both games. To say the damage AV did was minor is just foolish.
    well you are right on one thing , Two Different iterations , and yes 2 different failures UW was DOA , But needs to be seperated in this discussion.. If they want to compare Agon to UO,AC and Shadowbane , 3 games with Skillcaps we can only discuss the original DF and Agnon , with these parameters , not apples and oranges as UW was a class based game not open ended character progression ....

The reason the original DF failed was everyone ended up the same exact build  Melee/Archery/Magic
    .. you could not be effective and , you could not  compete on par without learning all these spells, utilities, selfbuff, ccs, blinds, knock-ups, rays, etc...
      When DF launched everyone expected a 3D UO with a skill cap and skill decay, but when they realize that they have to raise everything to compete they leave and only a niche playerbase remain till the end.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Looking forward to this. It'll likely always be a relatively low population game, but if they can just consistently improve the game and add sandbox content, it should be able to build up a loyal fanbase.

lol to whoever thinks a game fails with or without skill caps.

I would consider myself a pretty normal mmoprg player.

And skill caps has absolutely no reason whatsoever on why I did not play Darkfall.

It was a piece of dog doo for many many reasons; far too many for me to list.

TBH it sounds like it's just not your type of the game then, if there was really THAT much you didn't like about it.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    sounds intriguing, I played new dawn for a bit, will give it a shot at launch
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Scorchien said:
    grumbagz said:

Ozmodan said:

grumbagz said:

Scorchien said:

well you are right on one thing , Two Different iterations , and yes 2 different failures UW was DOA , But needs to be seperated in this discussion.. If they want to compare Agon to UO,AC and Shadowbane , 3 games with Skillcaps we can only discuss the original DF and Agnon , with these parameters , not apples and oranges as UW was a class based game not open ended character progression ....

The reason the original DF failed was everyone ended up the same exact build  Melee/Archery/Magic
    .. you could not be effective and , you could not  compete on par without learning all these spells, utilities, selfbuff, ccs, blinds, knock-ups, rays, etc...

Listen up people, this guy knows what he's talking about!

• SlashedOutCutlassSlashedOutCutlass Member CommonPosts: 8
    I got back into Darkfall in the beginning, 2009 I believe. It was a wild ride full of ups and downs but the actual games was awesome, the company that owned it was not. Fast forward to 2017 with BPG in charge, things have been just awesome! Beta was a blast and the nostalgia was at an all time high, so many memories rushed back and I felt like a dream had come true, I couldn't believe my favorite game had returned, and not just returned, it was better than ever before.

One by one BPG removed everything I hated from the old game and replaced it with something modern, fresh, and fun. The game evolved into what it always should have been. Each patch fine-tuned the game more and more and I can say emphatically that I am PUMPED for launch. I am sure this will be my ultimate moment in my 20 years of online gaming.

For those of you that haven't played Darkfall you might look at the graphics and misjudge the game. Sure, the graphics aren't amazing, but they're nice imo and the game looks great as you ride around, fight, and loot. And hey, it's not all about graphics, far from it, what matters most is gameplay, right? I've had my heart skip beats during pvp, my arms tense up, my hands shake, and I even panicked and got destroyed. The brutal defeats and thrilling victories really get into your system and keep you wanting more. That's why us oldschool fans are so excited, because *nothing* can replace Darkfall, and once you experience it you'll see that my statement is very true.

You really haven't pvped until you've played Darkfall, you just haven't. Whether you've played Wow arena, CS:GO at the highest level, or made Diamond in LoL, none of that can compare to Darkfall. Why? Because Darkfall is brutal on an extreme that you can't get from any of those games. Egos run high, defeats can crush a gamer, and victories can make you a god. You probably think I'm exaggerating because you likely just don't know how good pvp can actually feel.

Why is pvp so fun in Darkfall? Well, first of all the skill cap is VERY high. Second, there is no tab-targeting crap like in other mmos, this is pvp closer to a shooter but with advanced melee combat, healing, blinds, magic nukes, and lots more mixed in. It hurts to lose, man it hurts like nothing else. Sometimes you just get stomped and most people scramble for excuses, blaming their ping, their computer, someone's cheap weapon or race, or whatever, they can't handle it. When you win, man, it can be epic. I've won a 2v8 fight before and this is not a shooter where you just headshot people, 2v8 is very serious stuff. I've won 1v3 in a sub-optimal but explosive build, and I've gotten rocked more times than I can count. Many years later I can still remember those losses, but my pentas in LoL I can't recall, it all kinds of blends in because it just doesn't compare to Darkfall, nothing does.

And that's just the pvp, I love the pve too, I love gathering resources, opening chests, digging up treasure maps, crafting items with my name of them, there is just so much to do. I could go on forever but I'll leave it at this, as gamers we pass up on games all the time, just one screenshot we don't like, one race, one weapon, one whatever, it's easy to miss a gem and wind up playing some garbage game because you can't find something better. Don't let that be you, don't pass up on Darkfall, you will never find something like this again. See you at launch!

I got back into Darkfall in the beginning, 2009 I believe. It was a wild ride full of ups and downs but the actual games was awesome, the company that owned it was not. Fast forward to 2017 with BPG in charge, things have been just awesome! Beta was a blast and the nostalgia was at an all time high, so many memories rushed back and I felt like a dream had come true, I couldn't believe my favorite game had returned, and not just returned, it was better than ever before.

One by one BPG removed everything I hated from the old game and replaced it with something modern, fresh, and fun. The game evolved into what it always should have been. Each patch fine-tuned the game more and more and I can say emphatically that I am PUMPED for launch. I am sure this will be my ultimate moment in my 20 years of online gaming.

For those of you that haven't played Darkfall you might look at the graphics and misjudge the game. Sure, the graphics aren't amazing, but they're nice imo and the game looks great as you ride around, fight, and loot. And hey, it's not all about graphics, far from it, what matters most is gameplay, right? I've had my heart skip beats during pvp, my arms tense up, my hands shake, and I even panicked and got destroyed. The brutal defeats and thrilling victories really get into your system and keep you wanting more. That's why us oldschool fans are so excited, because *nothing* can replace Darkfall, and once you experience it you'll see that my statement is very true.

You really haven't pvped until you've played Darkfall, you just haven't. Whether you've played Wow arena, CS:GO at the highest level, or made Diamond in LoL, none of that can compare to Darkfall. Why? Because Darkfall is brutal on an extreme that you can't get from any of those games. Egos run high, defeats can crush a gamer, and victories can make you a god. You probably think I'm exaggerating because you likely just don't know how good pvp can actually feel.

Why is pvp so fun in Darkfall? Well, first of all the skill cap is VERY high. Second, there is no tab-targeting crap like in other mmos, this is pvp closer to a shooter but with advanced melee combat, healing, blinds, magic nukes, and lots more mixed in. It hurts to lose, man it hurts like nothing else. Sometimes you just get stomped and most people scramble for excuses, blaming their ping, their computer, someone's cheap weapon or race, or whatever, they can't handle it. When you win, man, it can be epic. I've won a 2v8 fight before and this is not a shooter where you just headshot people, 2v8 is very serious stuff. I've won 1v3 in a sub-optimal but explosive build, and I've gotten rocked more times than I can count. Many years later I can still remember those losses, but my pentas in LoL I can't recall, it all kinds of blends in because it just doesn't compare to Darkfall, nothing does.

And that's just the pvp, I love the pve too, I love gathering resources, opening chests, digging up treasure maps, crafting items with my name of them, there is just so much to do. I could go on forever but I'll leave it at this, as gamers we pass up on games all the time, just one screenshot we don't like, one race, one weapon, one whatever, it's easy to miss a gem and wind up playing some garbage game because you can't find something better. Don't let that be you, don't pass up on Darkfall, you will never find something like this again. See you at launch!

Wow , man almost sounds like a commercial , a PR dream , ... im almost convinced .. wait ... acct created 10 minutes ago .. with 1 post ........... seems suspicious ..
    edited April 2017

Scorchien said:

Wow , man almost sounds like a commercial , a PR dream , ... im almost convinced .. wait ... acct created 10 minutes ago .. with 1 post ........... seems suspicious ..

This is a new account, yes. I care enough about this game to create an account to post about it, other than that I won't be using this website because in all honesty, once I played Darkfall back in 2009 I've never been able to enjoy any other mmo. If you want to discredit my post based on the fact that this is a new account, that's your prerogative. Hopefully though you will consider what I've said, either way, hope you have fun with whatever you choose to play!

Edit: Speaking of post counts, what would you prefer, hearing from someone that played a slew of mmos and made thousands of posts about them, or a specialist from this specific game that is here to deliver the real news? Again, there is a reason I am not a regular on this website, I have no use, I already found Darkfall long ago and any other mmo I tried (after Darkfall was gone) only paled in comparison.

Scorchien said:

This is a new account, yes. I care enough about this game to create an account to post about it, other than that I won't be using this website because in all honesty, once I played Darkfall back in 2009 I've never been able to enjoy any other mmo. If you want to discredit my post based on the fact that this is a new account, that's your prerogative. Hopefully though you will consider what I've said, either way, hope you have fun with whatever you choose to play!

....    ...  ...  .    This has been a Public Service Announcement .... .... .. .

..... .... ... .. .We will now return to your regularly scheduled broadcast .... .... .. .
    @Scorchien Fair enough. I read over your primary concern with the game, are you aware that BPG has stated they are going to be increasing build diversity? You *could* do everything (no skill cap per se) but it wouldn't work very well. Not a lot of information is available but it seems like players will be designing their own builds based on which "tools" they prefer. I am pretty excited about that because I too always dislike the "one man can do everything" aspect of Darkfall Online.

@Scorchien Fair enough. I read over your primary concern with the game, are you aware that BPG has stated they are going to be increasing build diversity? You *could* do everything (no skill cap per se) but it wouldn't work very well. Not a lot of information is available but it seems like players will be designing their own builds based on which "tools" they prefer. I am pretty excited about that because I too always dislike the "one man can do everything" aspect of Darkfall Online.

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Edit: Speaking of post counts, what would you prefer, hearing from someone that played a slew of mmos and made thousands of posts about them, or a specialist from this specific game that is here to deliver the real news? Again, there is a reason I am not a regular on this website, I have no use, I already found Darkfall long ago and any other mmo I tried (after Darkfall was gone) only paled in comparison.

I'd have to say the former. And seeing as most popular reviewers play and enjoy a lot of different games not just one, I'm betting that a popular opinion.  From the comments in this thread the game you love had one build option, so I can't see how that it can have better PvP than a game with no level process, just build options. And the game did fail, there usually is a reason for that beyond bad management. I very well might give it a try, only because there isn't much else out there holding my attention!