Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO, is it playable by a new player without the expansion?

2»

Comments

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Green Man has a good deal on the Gold Edition right now as well.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Wizardry said:
    Well IF the game is considered good by a gamer who spent the 10 bucks,they will want to play the entire game which will cost them a ton.So the 10 buck offer is a weak one,just free trial and if you like it then decide if the REAL cost to play the game is worth it.
    Basically the 10 bucks is a free trial because no way would i ever buy the game piece by piece,i would want an entire package deal.I am however and why i am not playing the game,VERY skeptical of Zeni and their DLC's/expansions,i have been duped into sub par over priced dlc/expansions before and has made me very leery on doing it again.
    Yes its a multi-month, 1,000+ hours of content $10 trial .....

As I said above you do not need to sub - ever, at all. Some do but there is no need whatsoever - imo they are simply signing up for cash shop fluff.

The basic version does excludes the 5 paid DLCs.

You can get the 4 biggies for 5,500 crowns. In a crown sale 10-20 bucks. If you really, really want the 5th DLC that would be another 1,500 crowns. (You get 500 crowns with the basic game as well).

Or you can get the Gold Edition that includes the 4 DLC pack for - just under $21 currently on GMG it seems.

As I said no sub needed. At all.

And yes going forward you will have to buy the Morrowind add-on. 

Say it doesn't appeal to you by all means but buying the base - or Gold version of the game - is not a free trial.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    edited April 2017

Wizardry said:

Well IF the game is considered good by a gamer who spent the 10 bucks,they will want to play the entire game which will cost them a ton.So the 10 buck offer is a weak one,just free trial and if you like it then decide if the REAL cost to play the game is worth it.
    Basically the 10 bucks is a free trial because no way would i ever buy the game piece by piece,i would want an entire package deal.I am however and why i am not playing the game,VERY skeptical of Zeni and their DLC's/expansions,i have been duped into sub par over priced dlc/expansions before and has made me very leery on doing it again.

Do you even read what you type sometimes?

I doubt it since he (I just assumed gender, if anyone is triggered fight me) seems to hate all MMO's, esp. ones he's not playing O.o .  You can get the base game and most of the DLC for $20 (it's been on sale quite a few times at this price), which is a great deal considering how much content the game has to offer.  If someone doesn't think 100's of hours of game play isn't worth $20 then the problem lies with them.
    Post edited by Ginaz on

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

baphamet said:
    Wizardry said:
    when i play ESO, i spend $15 per month and get all the DLC's and perks. that is the real cost of the game and it beats buying countless games on steam or on a console that i play for a few days and get bored of just to buy more games.

don't buy the expansion if you are afraid you wont like it. honestly, judging by most of your posts, i would suggest you never buy any game/expansion unless you have tried it and know for sure you like it.

The sub is optional. It isn't needed. (And you don't need the crafting bag either!) Subscribers do get access to any DLC they have not purchased but - as mentioned above - you can buy 4 of the 5 DLCs for about the cost of a month's subscription. 

For anyone who does sub also be aware that subscribers will not get access to Morrowind. Z have gone down the same road as LotR - content packs accessible to optional subscribers, expansions excluded.

And to be clear if people want to subscribe that's fine with me ...... but it is not needed. 
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Wizardry said:
    Just read his post history.

Any company with more than 3 employees, a 401K plan, and wants to make a profit is EVIL.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    MMOman101 said:
    I see ESO is on sale on steam for under 10 bucks. I was thinking about picking it up to try it out. Is not having the Morrowind expansion going to impact what I can do as a new player?
    Why would it?  None of us have Morrowind right now and we are getting along just fine...  But really, sure, the new areas will be packed at launch.. but eventually Morrowind will go on sale.  If you like it, is $10 not worth it?

I just guess I have a different point of view towards games.  For one, I won't play something if I don't like it, no matter the cost.  And while there is a limit to what I would pay, $60 is not a deterrent if I am actually enjoying myself.  I also understand that developers need to make money in order to continue to develop a game.  Imagine that.  Unfortunately, so many people don't understand the concept.

Buy it.  It's $10.  If you don't like it, oh well.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    It's on sale on the official site as well.. and you should buy it there instead of the steam version. The crown sales on the official site can't be used with the steam version and vice versa. The sales on the official site are usually better.

But, yes, you can play the game just fine without the upcoming expansion. Absolutely no problem.

302 hrs.. that's how many hours it took me to complete the main storyline and all the content for '1' alliance on my first character. No dungeons, no DLC, no PvP. That's less than 1/3 of the game's content. Normal gameplay, not really rushing or anything. For your 10 bucks you'll have over 1000 hours worth of content. Then, if you want more.. you can get the DLC and morrowind.
    Well, there is also the convenience  of having all your games on steam and OP doesn't sound like someone that would buy a lot of DLC content so I could understand if OP prefer to use steam instead of the official site. OP probably already have a VISA card put in on steam or buy steam cards after all so it is certainly simpler to use steam.

But it doesn't really matter that much, either way is fine. 
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    It's on sale on the official site as well.. and you should buy it there instead of the steam version. The crown sales on the official site can't be used with the steam version and vice versa. The sales on the official site are usually better.

But, yes, you can play the game just fine without the upcoming expansion. Absolutely no problem.

302 hrs.. that's how many hours it took me to complete the main storyline and all the content for '1' alliance on my first character. No dungeons, no DLC, no PvP. That's less than 1/3 of the game's content. Normal gameplay, not really rushing or anything. For your 10 bucks you'll have over 1000 hours worth of content. Then, if you want more.. you can get the DLC and morrowind.
    I should have looked at the website first.. I got it from Steam and I hate having to go through Steam. 
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    So I started the free trial and I think this is the first fantasy MMO that I have ever played where I like first person.

Does anyone know of any sites that have good info on charterer building or tools. I made it to 6 tonight and have spent no points. Probably not a big deal, but I think I should spend some before the free trial ends.

Also can you respec in the game or once points are spent they are spent.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392

MMOman101 said:

So I started the free trial and I think this is the first fantasy MMO that I have ever played where I like first person.

Does anyone know of any sites that have good info on charterer building or tools. I made it to 6 tonight and have spent no points. Probably not a big deal, but I think I should spend some before the free trial ends.

There are a ton of ESO sites on the web. Just Google what you're looking for.
    Yes , you can respect both skill points and stat points; it costs gold to do so.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

MMOman101 said:

Best site for character builds is Deltia's: Just look under builds and then leveling: http://deltiasgaming.com/

Best tool for making builds is the ESO Skill Factory: https://www.eso-skillfactory.com/en/build-planer/

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Game is kind of fun, but the combat just seems like circle strafe over and over. Probably gets a bit better later with more complex fights. Not sure the game is for me though.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited April 2017

gervaise1 said:

Wizardry said:

Yes its a multi-month, 1,000+ hours of content $10 trial .....

I guess in the world of Wizardry the DLC is the main game and the 100+hr adventure was just a trial.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

MMOman101 said:

Game is kind of fun, but the combat just seems like circle strafe over and over. Probably gets a bit better later with more complex fights. Not sure the game is for me though.

I don't think I've ever circle strafed once in this game lol... maybe in PVP but I can't even remember doing it there. Block, interrupt and roll-dodge? Yeah, those I do.

What class are you playing and what weapons are you using?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited April 2017

Iselin said:

MMOman101 said:

Best site for character builds is Deltia's: Just look under builds and then leveling: http://deltiasgaming.com/

Best tool for making builds is the ESO Skill Factory: https://www.eso-skillfactory.com/en/build-planer/

@MMOman101

Yes you can respec. It costs gold and in the beginning you will want to spend it on other stuff but you do have the option.

That said I wouldn't worry about it to much. Deltia's is an excellent site but you will look at what skills are suggested and then find you don't have them. "Be aware" of what you might want to get but don't "obsess" on "end builds". ESO really does have a lot of content and "end build" is a long, long way down the road.

Circle strafing - as in using a bow? For simple stuff "OK" but going forward ... other skills will be "essential". 
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    just noticed ESO is on steam for $9.90

baphamet said:

just noticed ESO is on steam for $9.90

That is what the OP stated.

--John Ruskin

Don't think I am going to get the game. It was ok, just not really what I want from an MMO. I did not like the look of the healing nor did I like the constant movement in combat.

--John Ruskin

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Well you need the dlc, oops expansion to have the p2w class

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

JemAs666 said:

Green Man has a good deal on the Gold Edition right now as well.

Without going into details after Morrowind is released old content will remain current. You just won't have access to features provided in Morrowind (such as Vvardenfell island, warden class or battlegrounds). Morrowind owners doubtfully will have any real advantage over those who stayed without 

Iselin said:

MMOman101 said:

I don't think I've ever circle strafed once in this game lol... maybe in PVP but I can't even remember doing it there. Block, interrupt and roll-dodge? Yeah, those I do.

What class are you playing and what weapons are you using?

There is one more thing which is positioning ourself against enemy which is more important here than in most other games just to be as effective as possible. But true, someone relying just on strafing must have really "fun" fights...-)

Also more complex fights? Enough to enter any public dungeon (can be done even at low level) and check own skills against some trash group. Should not require CP and may show a thing or two (unless ofc suddenly someone decides to help with it)
  • VDSA_HuckVDSA_Huck Member CommonPosts: 1

Ginaz said:

Wizardry said:

I doubt it since he (I just assumed gender, if anyone is triggered fight me) seems to hate all MMO's, esp. ones he's not playing O.o .  You can get the base game and most of the DLC for $20 (it's been on sale quite a few times at this price), which is a great deal considering how much content the game has to offer.  If someone doesn't think 100's of hours of game play isn't worth $20 then the problem lies with them.

:awesome: @blueturtle13