Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online - EVE FanFest 2017 In Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageEVE Online - EVE FanFest 2017 In Review - MMORPG.com

After a week of camaraderie and high spirits, the 13th FanFest of all things EVE Online has finally concluded. By all accounts, it was a week of new songs, new discoveries, and heralded new adventures in the universe of New Eden.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CogohiCogohi Member UncommonPosts: 85
    > Aurum (previously for cosmetic skins and skill injectors) is being converted to PLEX

Perhaps you meant skill *extractors* ? Unless something changed recently you can't buy the injectors directly.
  • GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225

Cogohi said:

> Aurum (previously for cosmetic skins and skill injectors) is being converted to PLEX

Perhaps you meant skill *extractors* ? Unless something changed recently you can't buy the injectors directly.

Yep, you got me - Extractors it is.
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225

Nyctelios said:

"It also introduces a special inventory location known as the PLEX Vault, which may bring an end to carting it around in ships (and the entertaining PLEX piracy that resulted)."

Please, tell me again how they are not constantly removing the risk factor from the game?

I'll be honest, I'm a little disappointed by this - I've had a few corpmates that have benefited from the stupidity of others, and I'm definitely going to miss the plex-tanked fits on zkillboard etc.

But the again, with moon mining becoming a more active way of earning isk, I feel that there's also an element of risk being added in. Plus, it's less of a stupid tax and more of an organise and counter activity, which makes me think it's encouraging people to take risks for the right reasons.

Pros and cons.
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Gazimoff said:

Nyctelios said:

"It also introduces a special inventory location known as the PLEX Vault, which may bring an end to carting it around in ships (and the entertaining PLEX piracy that resulted)."

Please, tell me again how they are not constantly removing the risk factor from the game?

I'll be honest, I'm a little disappointed by this - I've had a few corpmates that have benefited from the stupidity of others, and I'm definitely going to miss the plex-tanked fits on zkillboard etc.

But the again, with moon mining becoming a more active way of earning isk, I feel that there's also an element of risk being added in. Plus, it's less of a stupid tax and more of an organise and counter activity, which makes me think it's encouraging people to take risks for the right reasons.

Pros and cons.

As they are turning it into a currency rather than a commodity it makes sense to treat it as ISK currently and Aurum formerly were, non lootable.

Sounds like there still might be opportunities to loot PLEX if someone foregoes the use of the vault. (there might be good reason to)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Nyctelios said:

So you are whining that they are removing the silly high sec ganking for Plex?  Sorry, but I got a good laugh over that.  The only people that high sec gank are people with no skills and want no risk whatsoever.  That is the pathetic side of Eve.  The more they reduce that the better.

What I don't understand is why CCP continues to ignore the click fest that PE is.  

Lastly, instead of calling it limited free to play, they should call it what it is, a free trial instead of confusing with what people expect from a f2p game.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Sorry bad choice of words, The intent was not to belittle just one of my pet peeves with Eve, high sec ganking is basically no risk with great reward.  That is just allowing bad gameplay on CCP's part.  In a game like Eve there should always be decent risk for such.      
  • EnikEnik Member UncommonPosts: 99
    edited April 2017
    Well, unfortunately for CCP that "explosion in player numbers" was very short lived. As eve-offline shows recent numbers to be back to pre-Ascension numbers, which were pretty much on par with 2008 concurrent user numbers.

And that "1% of Iceland’s GDP" would be pretty impressive if Iceland's GDP wasn't half of the state of Vermont's GDP.

Sorry to be so negative because I love(d) EVE. But frankly I don't think there's been much to be excited about since 2009/2010ish.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Enik said:
    Well, unfortunately for CCP that "explosion in player numbers" was very short lived. As eve-offline shows recent numbers to be back to pre-Ascension numbers, which were pretty much on par with 2008 concurrent user numbers.
    ...and on top of it, pre-Ascension numbers were 100% subs, now they have the same numbers but how many of them are alphas?

Seems like CCP only lost from this move.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Gdemami said:
    Enik said:
    ...and on top of it, pre-Ascension numbers were 100% subs, now they have the same numbers but how many of them are alphas?

Seems like CCP only lost from this move.
    Well I know of 6 concurrent users / subs they can no longer count on.

I know my reasons but any theories about the general decline? Mostly just player burn out?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited April 2017
    Kyleran said:
    I know my reasons but any theories about the general decline? Mostly just player burn out?
    Like with any MMO, EVE is depending on constantly adding new content and CCP isn't adding any 'new content' for years, thus the decline.

The decline started right after Incarna when the focus shifted on reworks instead of expansion of the game.

Besides the factual evidence of development shift and concurrent numbers, I would say it is a lack of leadership and vision for the game - cause or effect, difficult to say. The development/management of the game is a lackluster.
    Post edited by Gdemami on
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    As it stands i have left eve , not permanently that i can say, but first time in almost 9 years ive not had at least one account on sub, 
    my reasons are simple, i dont like the way CCP are changing the game, It has cease to be the game i loved, probably about 3 years ago, and has become a game i care about.
    It will always be my fav MMO, nothing can touch it for the social aspect, i have made 100s of friends in eve, those i have flown with, and against, and those whom ive only ever known via trade/public chat channels.
    No other mmo has or will have the uniqueness of eve, which is sad, the same could be said of the MMO market. There are very few games in the pipeline that truly offer chance to break mould. Eve has and always will be the standard bearer for any space MMO, arguably for any sandbox as well. 

My eve future will be the odd week or so here and there, i have no heart to completly wipe all my assetts and toons out. They became me, its my persona in MMO, and here i am on a forum writing with that persona.

So for now EvE fly well, hopefully some day you will find that 'thing' that made you the best, instead of trying to be something that your not...

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy