Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intergenerational Digital Gameplay between Old Adults and Young Family Members

2»

Comments

• emily26emily26 Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Grunty said:
    Vardahoth said:
    Kyleran said:
    I've decided to take offense to the phrase "old adults"

No survey for you..... 
    There's nothing wrong with being old, but there is something wrong when a guy says to another guy "look at em Dan, he's 90 years young". It's okay to be old because you won't have to die. You'll pass away. RIP George Carlin...

For me it's more a matter of personal perception.  My body may be over 60 years old and my experiences cover that time period.  My perception is I'm still in my 40s.
    In this study we use "old" and "young" to differ two different demographics: people who play digital games with their children/grandchildren and people who play digital games with their parents/grandparents.
  • AoriAori Member EpicPosts: 4,167
    Kyleran said:

No survey for you..... 
    Calm down grandpa you forgot your meds again, come sit down.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,149
    edited April 2017
    Aori said:
    Kyleran said:

No survey for you..... 
    Calm down grandpa you forgot your meds again, come sit down.
    He'll get back to you tomorrow. Right now he's on his lounger "resting his eyes."
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,567
    emily26 said:
    Pynda said:
    I admit I was a little irked by the "old" thing, too. But I think my main issue here is with the age bracket used. I'd say the beginning age of the truly computer/electronic gaming challenged generation begins at around 65-70. But certainly not 55. This owing to the fact that 65-70 year olds were never exposed to modern electronics during their formative years (but people younger than this probably were).
    Thank you very much for your comment. Today, "55" is still young. However, some people at this age already become grandparents, and play digital games with their grandparents. "55" is also a cut point that has been used in social studies.
    55+ is the age some become great grandparents.

The youngest grandparent I ever met was 31. (yes her daughter was born when she was 13) and Ive known several in their mid 30s.

But you really want "old" gamers, those technical illiterates who need their children to set up their computers.  ;)

Stereotyping at its worst.

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    I'm a cantankerous 48 year old semi retired Law enforcement/claims adjuster pervert who's now an actor that was ecstatic when the Atari 2600 came out and was playing the poop out of asteroids, Yar's revenge, adventure, and haunted house.

*** Raving Rabbid heard rumors of She-Hulk being in a future Marvel Movie.....there isn't enough appendages on the Raving Rabbid for plunger salutes!!!!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    emily26 said:
    Pynda said:
    I admit I was a little irked by the "old" thing, too. But I think my main issue here is with the age bracket used. I'd say the beginning age of the truly computer/electronic gaming challenged generation begins at around 65-70. But certainly not 55. This owing to the fact that 65-70 year olds were never exposed to modern electronics during their formative years (but people younger than this probably were).
    Thank you very much for your comment. Today, "55" is still young. However, some people at this age already become grandparents, and play digital games with their grandparents. "55" is also a cut point that has been used in social studies.

Grandpa twice over. Now My son and his supermodel girlfriend have one on the way! I play online games like Smite and Destiny, and battlefront with my kids :)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes