Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is one of the best RPGs to come out in the past 5 years (imo)

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
I know Witcher 3 was good, and that is one of the best. But, since release I've been non-stop playing Andromeda, and it has been amazing. By far the best mass effect game, and I haven't seen that bad animations or voice acting or story. And the exploration is by far the best of any mass effect game. And the graphics to me are very beautiful.

Anyone else really enjoying Mass Effect: Andromeda?

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    DMKano said:
    The animations are killing it for me - just having a hard time taking any of the dialog seriously when all characters are 100% uncanny valley

While I agree the above example is pretty terrible, I will say that she is one to the top offenders of poor quality.  Most of what I've seen before and after this part in the game has been better for me so far.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Glad you found a game to enjoy but so far seeing 5-6 streams ,not one did anything to entice me to play,if anything i am pretty much sold on idea the game is 100% not something i could enjoy.
    Watched Dan's gaming,notable streamer,he did not seem impressed and just like me he found the acting in the CS's to be real bad.

IMO it looks to be presented very similar to SWTOR which i did not find very good either.

I have been spoiled by many a Square Enix cutscenes and movies to enjoy these real cheap looking ones however having said that SE really disappointed me recently as well with the worst story CS's i have seen inside of Mobius.

So it really appears games are been slapped together like assembly line cars,very little heart felt effort put into them.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Since I thought the combat in Witcher 3 was about the worst experience Ive had in a supposedly amazing game, I just gave up on it, what are the chances I would like combat in this game?  All the videos I've  watched just look like terrible console style "cover" combat.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    The animations are killing it for me - just having a hard time taking any of the dialog seriously when all characters are 100% uncanny valley

While I agree the above example is pretty terrible, I will say that she is one to the top offenders of poor quality.  Most of what I've seen before and after this part in the game has been better for me so far.
    Yeah. She's definitely the worst. My nickname for her is "Botox face." She's also one of the Initiative admin staff who is easy to dislike. It actually works for me that she's hard to look at.

I also think that she's a closet android :)

This whole "faces are ruining my immersion" thing not only is way overblown, in the grand scheme of this great game it's mostly irrelevant. It's starting to remind me of the people 3 years ago who wouldn't play ESO because you couldn't sit on chairs... alrighty then.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited March 2017
    It would be better if the NPC companions were interesting like they were in ME2, in ME:A they are pretty dull and not interesting at all to find out more about their history, not a single funny remark or funny NPC in game so far and I'm on the 4th planet. ( yes I've done plenty of side missions, and many were very boring and uninspiring)
    It's not a bad game but it just average not bad not good, It's ok.
    I do enjoy the game I really do, but something is missing from it, can't put my finger on it.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The writing in ME:A is substandard, i really don't know how it can be considered a good RPG, so much of the game needs to be fixed, or re-written, its not just the problems with animations, the game just does not compare favourably with Witcher 3, which had far more emotive storylines. Honestly at the moment i am thinking that ME:A could have used at least another 6 months development time, and definitely better scripting. :o
    The combat in the game looks pretty good though, even if the menu system is seriously sub par :o
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    goboygo said:
    Since I thought the combat in Witcher 3 was about the worst experience Ive had in a supposedly amazing game, I just gave up on it, what are the chances I would like combat in this game?  All the videos I've  watched just look like terrible console style "cover" combat.
    The combat in the game is really its only real good feature, a saving grace so to speak, unfortunately so much of the rest of the game is atrociously bad that you really have to weigh up whether its enough of a game breaker or not, for many, it would appear to be, certainly for me that was the case. :o
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I know Witcher 3 was good, and that is one of the best. But, since release I've been non-stop playing Andromeda, and it has been amazing. By far the best mass effect game, and I haven't seen that bad animations or voice acting or story. And the exploration is by far the best of any mass effect game. And the graphics to me are very beautiful.

like the other said, if you like ME 1-3 I don't know if you will like andromeda, but if you liked inquisition then you will like andromeda

that said, is almost the same game, even the fucking map is the same, so best game in last 5 years? sorry kid nope, unless you live in a cave for the last 5 years
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

like the other said, if you like ME 1-3 I don't know if you will like andromeda, but if you liked inquisition then you will like andromeda

that said, is almost the same game, even the fucking map is the same, so best game in last 5 years? sorry kid nope, unless you live in a cave for the last 5 years
    It's by far my favorite since Skyrim as far as single player RPGs go, I wasn't a fan of DA:I but I really do like ME:A. So i wouldn't say it's the same game at all. The combat, the worlds, the entire premise feels a lot more engrossing IMO, even the story which so many (who haven't played; funny how that works) bemoan. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• emperorhades1emperorhades1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    mass cutscene effect
    Distopia said:

It's by far my favorite since Skyrim as far as single player RPGs go, I wasn't a fan of DA:I but I really do like ME:A. So i wouldn't say it's the same game at all. The combat, the worlds, the entire premise feels a lot more engrossing IMO, even the story which so many (who haven't played; funny how that works) bemoan. 

It's also big enough that now that I'm going through it a 2nd time, I'm finding quests and things to do I missed the first time around. Just finished one of those in Voeld where an Angara special forces guy set-up 3 challenges for me... good fights!
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    After seeing the character models and animations of HZD, UC4, and even Witcher 3 (which the OP cited), this entry from Bioware just feels totally phoned in....they know crazed ME fans (like my wife) will buy it sight unseen.

kind of like,when Disney makes Cinderella 12mstraight to DVD or some crap. You know it's crap, they know it's crap...but it's Disney and the loons with kids (and some without) will buy...

Bethesda and Bioware both feel like they are resting on their old laurels too much from way back. Both their most recent games just feel like they are trying to wring every ounce out of their old-gen tech before they just HAVE to evolve to compete visually.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

edited April 2017
    spankybus said:
    After seeing the character models and animations of HZD, UC4, and even Witcher 3 (which the OP cited), this entry from Bioware just feels totally phoned in....they know crazed ME fans (like my wife) will buy it sight unseen.

kind of like,when Disney makes Cinderella 12mstraight to DVD or some crap. You know it's crap, they know it's crap...but it's Disney and the loons with kids (and some without) will buy...

Bethesda and Bioware both feel like they are resting on their old laurels too much from way back. Both their most recent games just feel like they are trying to wring every ounce out of their old-gen tech before they just HAVE to evolve to compete visually.
    Character looks and animations are at the bottom of my list in matters of importance. I'm not a crazed ME fan, I'm actually not a big fan of the series at all TBH, yet I find this game deeply engrossing. Certainly didn't but it sight unseen, 10 hours of gameplay during the trial convinced me this game was worth the price of admission. Doesn't feel phoned it at all to me... 

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited April 2017
    --rip
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    edited April 2017
    It's not the best ME game so far, far from it. ME2 is still the undisputed champ in my opinion. Andromeda isn't a bad game. It's just not a great game. I'm mildly disappointed with it.

Now just to put this into context I've played ME for 108 hours, ME2 for 313 hours, and ME3 for 273 hours so, obviously, I'm a huge fan of the franchise. My first play through of Andromeda took me 37 hours and I'm currently doing run number 2 but doing all the side missions I missed the first time around.

What they got right:
    The Nomad. Exploration is fun and they even incorporated mining into it instead of scanning from space and using probes.

The Environments. No doubt about it, the views are incredible. The worlds are well varied and awesome to look at.

The Movement and Combat. They've done a good job of smoothing the action out, allowing you to easily move into and out of cover and also to allow a much more mobile approach to combat.

What they got wrong:
    Character Models. Crazy eyes, awkward animations, comical facial expressions. They should have just motion captured this stuff and been done with it.

The Writing: Edited because of spoilers: Let's just say that one of the big plot points is a copy and paste of a previous ME game. Lazy writing.

The Writing, again. Some of the dialogue leaves a lot to be desired.

The Delivery: The voice acting isn't great with a few exceptions. A couple of characters are good but it's mostly a bit forced or contrived.

The Profiles: I'm not sure who thought this would be a good idea but  allowing me to instantly respec, on the fly and access abilities from all the old classes and mix them up just destroys any replayability the game could have had. Playing ME/2/3 as a Soldier was quite different from playing as an Adept but you got to enjoy the game a different way. That's gone.

The Asari: All look the same, I don't mean alike, I mean EXACTLY the same. They all have the same face. Except for Peebee, who's been beaten with the ugly stick. Not surprising considering how annoying she is.

Not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination but far from the best ME ever. It's fun, yeah but it also has some faults. They're not game breaking faults but they are faults none the less. They detract from the overall experience.

Realistic Score:
    6/10

Post edited by jmcdermottuk on
  • HunctucavetoHunctucaveto Member UncommonPosts: 20
    spankybus said:

This sums it up for me as well. Very disappointed.
    It's just an average game to me but I am pleased that you found a game you are loving! =)
    But have to completely agree with blueturtle13,  "am pleased that you found a game you are loving!"  It a big world and to each his own.  Glad you are enjoying it.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited April 2017
    DMKano said:

They shouldn't have wasted the money on "Denuvo" which got cracked in 10 days but instead used those funds to make the game animations, and Mo-cap better in the first place lol. 

And even the Older Mass Effect Games look better.
    Renoaku said:
    DMKano said:

They shouldn't have wasted the money on "Denuvo" which got cracked in 10 days but instead used those funds to make the game animations, and Mo-cap better in the first place lol. 

And even the Older Mass Effect Games look better.
    You really should just put a "Denuvo is evil!" blurb on your sig. Every other post from you is about it.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited April 2017
    spankybus said:

This sums it up for me as well. Very disappointed.
    It's just an average game to me but I am pleased that you found a game you are loving! =)
    But have to completely agree with blueturtle13,  "am pleased that you found a game you are loving!"  It a big world and to each his own.  Glad you are enjoying it.
    The weird thing is that there are a lot of us really enjoying the shit out of this game. To us, the complaints seem like petty nitpicks. Just like I'm sure our enjoyment seems weird to you.

Believe it or not there are people out there who never liked the Rocky Horror Picture show :) 

And on that note... enjoy!

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Thoth_MosheThoth_Moshe Member UncommonPosts: 240
    In my experience the animations are only funky (sometimes) when inside the safe hub Nexus (Citadel).  They look fine when out and in armor.  I almost saw the glitch where the head spins all the way around but it stopped in a cutscene.  I dont know why they didnt use motion capture, you would think they would spare no expenses for Mass Effect title.

I do love combat and all the cool powers and AI is good when put on hardcore.
    Aori said:

Care to actually go in to detail in why it is the best? To say you haven't seen any bad animations is blind bias. At the very least others who venomously support the game admit there was animation issues, they just did the whole point fingers at another game thing as if it would make it ok. Similar to how people deal with politics these days.. sigh. 

I personally haven't seen anything ME:A offers that would make it the best or even a game worth checking out. I was originally keeping an eye on it as my first entry into the franchise but.. no thanks.
    Pointing fingers at other games is just simply to make a point there is far more to a game than one issue such as animations. Like say Skyrim or many great RPGs, which the genre is ripe with games that are more or less bad in such departments yet great at others, like most agree the gameplay in ME:A is well done. what is okay or not greatly depends on what value you put in such things. That's what makes points like that silly, as what is okay is always a subjective thing in this regard. So there's no reason to debate what is "okay".... 

On another note, the best RPG in years is another subjective assertion, I find it the best since Skyrim because I feel the same sense of getting lost in time when playing, nothing since has drawn me in so much as ME:A. There are a number of reasons for that. The options available in what to focus on, narrative quests, side tasks, exploration, furthering crafting ability, finding easter eggs and throw backs to the ME universe, there has yet to be a moment where I've felt any of this feels like a grind, or dull experience. 

The story premise is another aspect i enjoy as it's not the typical we're at war set up most RPGs bring to the table. It feels much more Star trek, and less Star wars IMO. There's a sense of morality in the mission that isn't there in many RPGs, a lot of the decisions that come up are based on do we do this to make settling this galaxy faster or do we not to do that so we have a better image in that galaxy going forward. 

I could write a book on how that differs from many RPGS. 

I'm not sure why people who like the game have to explain that to such an extent TBH.