Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO, is it playable by a new player without the expansion?

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
I see ESO is on sale on steam for under 10 bucks. I was thinking about picking it up to try it out. Is not having the Morrowind expansion going to impact what I can do as a new player?

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    edited April 2017
    in my experience, expansions and updates in ESO have never removed your ability to do something that you could do, before.  Matter of fact, free expansions have come that maximize your ability to access the main areas that come with the original game.  You can now run the main quest and finish it before you hit 20th level, if you want to, subscriber or not, whereas before you had to hit level markers. 

I paid full price about a year after it launched, and while it's not my main game, I don't regret a penny.  At 10 bucks, it's a steal.

Your biggest possibility for disappointment would probably be getting halfway through some DLC quests or content as a subscriber, then unsubbing, and no longer be able to access those areas or advance(in those areas I mean; you can still return to the main areas, do stuff, and level up).  But you won't end up with locked characters or any kind of garbage like that.

Hope that answers your question...
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Robsolf said:
    in my experience, expansions and updates in ESO have never removed your ability to do something that you could do, before.  Matter of fact, free expansions have come that maximize your ability to access the main areas that come with the original game.  You can now run the main quest and finish it before you hit 20th level, if you want to, subscriber or not, whereas before you had to hit level markers. 

I paid full price about a year after it launched, and while it's not my main game, I don't regret a penny.  At 10 bucks, it's a steal.

Your biggest possibility for disappointment would probably be getting halfway through some DLC quests or content as a subscriber, then unsubbing, and no longer be able to access those areas or advance(in those areas I mean; you can still return to the main areas, do stuff, and level up).  But you won't end up with locked characters or any kind of garbage like that.

A bit confused. Are you saying that if I buy the game and don't subscribe after the free 30 days I may have quests I can't complete. I thought the game was buy to play? How restrictive is the non-subscriber version of the game>

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    No, you don't need the expansions to play the game.  The base game will let you level up just fine.  The expansions just add more locations and skills that you can do without if you want.  

They are also having a sale that includes all the expansions I believe, so for a little more you can get that or just play the base game and wait later for another sale if you decide you like the game or sub and get all the expansions for as long as your subed.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Hell yeah. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited April 2017
    MMOman101 said:
    I see ESO is on sale on steam for under 10 bucks. I was thinking about picking it up to try it out. Is not having the Morrowind expansion going to impact what I can do as a new player?
    Short answer: yes worth picking up. 

The basic game probably represents 85% of the total content. There is months of content! You also have PvP campaigns as well - if interested of course. Most people probably get "bored" long before they have played through everything - same goes for any game. In ESO there is months and months of content though so more to do initially and different stuff to do if you opt to take a break.. 

And no you don't need to sub.

You will be missing 5 DLC which add some additional storylines and a few skills - you won't be "gimped" in any way by not having them. You can also add the DLCs later if you decide to - the 4 major ones are available at a discounted price as a 4 pack ......... 

..... although if you buy through Steam you will be locked into offers that Steam run. So maybe a quick check on Zenimax's ESO site may be worthwhile but hard to go wrong at the price. The "main" story is particularly well done imo.

Edit: there is currently a trial.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    gervaise1 said:
    MMOman101 said:

The basic game probably represents 85% of the total content. There is months of content! You also have PvP campaigns as well - if interested of course. Most people probably get "bored" long before they have played through everything - same goes for any game. In ESO there is months and months of content though so more to do initially and different stuff to do if you opt to take a break.. 

You will be missing 5 DLC which add some additional storylines and a few skills - you won't be "gimped" in any way by not having them. You can also add the DLCs later if you decide to - the 4 major ones are available at a discounted price as a 4 pack ......... 

..... although if you buy through Steam you will be locked into offers that Steam run. So maybe a quick check on Zenimax's ESO site may be worthwhile but hard to go wrong at the price. The "main" story is particularly well done imo.

This.  Get the stand-alone client, it's on sale on the ESO website too.  Way less hassle.

Seconded on DLC.  They add to the experience but nothing is locked behind them that you can't wait to get later.

HOWEVER, with the expansion coming out there will be the Warden which is part of it.  Nothing else is locked behind a DLC paywall that matters.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    gervaise1 said:
    MMOman101 said:

This.  Get the stand-alone client, it's on sale on the ESO website too.  Way less hassle.

Seconded on DLC.  They add to the experience but nothing is locked behind them that you can't wait to get later.

HOWEVER, with the expansion coming out there will be the Warden which is part of it.  Nothing else is locked behind a DLC paywall that matters.
    Even the Warden part is a matter of opinion since a lot of the best builds for the current 4 classes have very few class-specific skills out of the 12.

I know people get excited about new classes because other MMOs have conditioned them to think that way, but ESO has never been about classes but much more about grabbing useful skills form a variety of skill lines that are not class locked and using those to build around.

Yes, if you don't have the expansion come June you won't be able to be one of the million new Wardens that will be stumbling about but will that really "matter"?

Anyway... there is no need for a new player to have it all. The base game works 100% fine and all by itself has several months worth of content. Plenty of time to figure out if and when you want to add DLC to the mix.

And BTW OP, there is no 30-day sub included with the purchase of any version. What you get is 500 crowns for the cash shop. It's been that way since it went B2P 2 years ago.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    gervaise1 said:
    MMOman101 said:

Even the Warden part is a matter of opinion since a lot of the best builds for the current 4 classes have very few class-specific skills out of the 12.

I know people get excited about new classes because other MMOs have conditioned them to think that way, but ESO has never been about classes but much more about grabbing useful skills form a variety of skill lines that are not class locked and using those to build around.

Yes, if you don't have the expansion come June you won't be able to be one of the million new Wardens that will be stumbling about but will that really "matter"?

Anyway... there is no need for a new player to have it all. The base game works 100% fine and all by itself has several months worth of content. Plenty of time to figure out if and when you want to add DLC to the mix.

And BTW OP, there is no 30-day sub included with the purchase of any version. What you get is 500 crowns for the cash shop. It's been that way since it went B2P 2 years ago.
    I wanted to make sure expectations were clear.  Likely within a few weeks of playing it would come up so I wanted to make sure OP knew that warden was indeed tied to the expansion. 

I will be one of the millions but only because it looks like I might finally be able to build an archer build I like! 

Not looking forward to fighting people for mobs, etc though hahaha.
    Kajidourden said:  

Not looking forward to fighting people for mobs, etc though hahaha.
    We will all be Wardens come June :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited April 2017
    Personally no but that is just me obviously it is but when I play a game I would rather have the full game and everything it has to offer than half a game.

Also for $10 on steam go ahead and get it $10 is nothing for the full original game.

And by the time the expansion comes out you know if you like it or not.
    Renoaku said:
    Personally no but that is just me obviously it is but when I play a game I would rather have the full game and everything it has to offer than half a game.

Also for $10 on steam go ahead and get it $10 is nothing for the full original game.

And by the time the expansion comes out you know if you like it or not.

I would like to take an opportunity to piggyback off of this.  You will have plenty of stuff to do with no DLC, which means you will know by then whether or not they are worth it for you. 
    I know seeing DLC makes people think that there must be a very short/shallow base game like Destiny or something but there is literally hundreds of hours of stuff in just the base game.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    MMOman101 said:
    Robsolf said:

A bit confused. Are you saying that if I buy the game and don't subscribe after the free 30 days I may have quests I can't complete. I thought the game was buy to play? How restrictive is the non-subscriber version of the game>
    The gold edition is 50% off (30 bucks) that gives all the DLCs but the Hist one. Spend another 48 bucks on some crowns (theyre half off, maybe more, as well) that will get you another 11000. So for 78 dollars youll have the game with a free mount most of the DLCs and 11500 crowns, and you can buy Hist with that if you really want to. But if youre new you can wait as I am sure it will eventually go on sale.

Dont sub in the beginning if you want to sub wait unitl you have all (or most) of your bank spaces open and can hoard all the craft mats, then sub for a month and all that crap gets shoved into the craft bag. Which after your sub runs out is still accessible to withdraw you just cant add to it. Thats why its better to wait until you have a bunch of stuff saved that way you wont need to collect anymore of the less useful stuff.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    No, you don't need the expansions to play the game.  The base game will let you level up just fine.  The expansions just add more locations and skills that you can do without if you want.  

They are also having a sale that includes all the expansions I believe, so for a little more you can get that or just play the base game and wait later for another sale if you decide you like the game or sub and get all the expansions for as long as your subed.
    Initially no. But I can't think of a single MMO where you don't want to get the expansions after a while.

So I would go for that sale after trying a bit of free trial to see if OP enjoy the game, a few hours is usually good to see that OP doesn't hate it at least and if not then it is certainly worth the extra money. Some games just doesn't work for you from the first second.

There is of course no guarantee OP will play it long term but generally if you like it for a few hours you will like it at least a month and then it is worth the money.

People always say that you don't need the expansions but it is a trap. After about 3 weeks to a month I either own all expansions or don't play the game anymore no matter what MMO we are talking about so at least I need the expansions. Maybe some people don't...
  • LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    $10 is a great deal for the base game IMO. I initially paid over $100 for the CE when the game first launched. The Crown Store in ESO has a great "a la carte" system for purchasing the DLC's etc. if you decide you want them later. As others have said, the base game comes with TONS of content. You can easily play the base game for months without missing out on anything.

ESO is a beautiful game and I enjoy playing it. I've been playing since launch and I feel like I still haven't done everything. The game is huge. My recommendation would be to try it out if you like. As others have said, there is a free trial going on this week too.

Best of luck.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    rodarin said:
    MMOman101 said:
    Robsolf said:

The gold edition is 50% off (30 bucks) that gives all the DLCs but the Hist one. Spend another 48 bucks on some crowns (theyre half off, maybe more, as well) that will get you another 11000. So for 78 dollars youll have the game with a free mount most of the DLCs and 11500 crowns, and you can buy Hist with that if you really want to. But if youre new you can wait as I am sure it will eventually go on sale.

Dont sub in the beginning if you want to sub wait unitl you have all (or most) of your bank spaces open and can hoard all the craft mats, then sub for a month and all that crap gets shoved into the craft bag. Which after your sub runs out is still accessible to withdraw you just cant add to it. Thats why its better to wait until you have a bunch of stuff saved that way you wont need to collect anymore of the less useful stuff.
    On the flip side. You can get the base game at the sale price. Sub and get 1500 crowns per month. After a few months you'll have enough crowns to have purchased the packs you wanted and can unsub.

Personally, the wife and I got the gold edition (comes with all but the Hist DLC), and are currently subbed to hoard crafting materials in our crafting bags. If the $15 per month isn't any type of a burden the crowns you get every month basically pay for the sub, if you're one to spend money on cash shop items.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Kaneth said:
    rodarin said:
    MMOman101 said:
    Robsolf said:

On the flip side. You can get the base game at the sale price. Sub and get 1500 crowns per month. After a few months you'll have enough crowns to have purchased the packs you wanted and can unsub.

Personally, the wife and I got the gold edition (comes with all but the Hist DLC), and are currently subbed to hoard crafting materials in our crafting bags. If the $15 per month isn't any type of a burden the crowns you get every month basically pay for the sub, if you're one to spend money on cash shop items.
    But it still MUCH cheaper to buy crowns rather than subbing.

Right now you can get 5500 crowns for 24 dollars. so 4X 5500 is 22K (plus 500 for purchase, at least thats what Gold edition gave not sure if base does) So if youre really interested in crowns its much better to buy them right now rather than subbing.

I bought the gold even though I had the regular edition because I wasnt too far along on my 'main' account anyway so getting the gold edition gave me all the DLCs. then I just bought 22K crowns and am basically where I was which took about 18 months to get to in around 10 weeks. I didnt play an awful lot on the other account.

Basically if you sub to the game for a year and use the 6 month option a year is going to cost you around 156 dollars, and would get 18K crowns, if you spend 156 dollars on crowns right now you could get six 5500 packs (33K crowns) and one 1500 crown pack (11.25) of course it would be much better to spend 168 and buy seven 5500 packs, but was showing the more equal price based on math with the other example. But for 168 bucks (12 more than a yearly sub) you would get  38500 crowns which is 20K more crowns than the sub would get you.
    rodarin said:
    Kaneth said:
    rodarin said:
    MMOman101 said:
    Robsolf said:

But it still MUCH cheaper to buy crowns rather than subbing.

Right now you can get 5500 crowns for 24 dollars. so 4X 5500 is 22K (plus 500 for purchase, at least thats what Gold edition gave not sure if base does) So if youre really interested in crowns its much better to buy them right now rather than subbing.

I bought the gold even though I had the regular edition because I wasnt too far along on my 'main' account anyway so getting the gold edition gave me all the DLCs. then I just bought 22K crowns and am basically where I was which took about 18 months to get to in around 10 weeks. I didnt play an awful lot on the other account.

Basically if you sub to the game for a year and use the 6 month option a year is going to cost you around 156 dollars, and would get 18K crowns, if you spend 156 dollars on crowns right now you could get six 5500 packs (33K crowns) and one 1500 crown pack (11.25) of course it would be much better to spend 168 and buy seven 5500 packs, but was showing the more equal price based on math with the other example. But for 168 bucks (12 more than a yearly sub) you would get  38500 crowns which is 20K more crowns than the sub would get you.
    Of course, none of that makes any sense if there's nothing in the cash shop you want to use those crowns for :) If you're a frequent flyer who gets mounts and costumes and other shit stuff, sure, there are better ways to acquire crowns than subbing.

Subbing gives you less crowns but you do get one QOL improvement with the bottomless crafting bag and in June, a second one with double bank space.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I think people are spending too much time discussing DLC and Coins rather than hammering the point home that ESO has tons of content especially post One Tam, that for 10 bucks it's a steal. Between the three realms, there are hours upon hours of quests, dungeons, delves etc, to keep one occupied. Keep in mind between all dlc they're completely insignificant to the amount of content you get in the main game, that's not even considering PVP as well as Cyrodil PVE for many more hours of adventuring. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

I am almost done downloading the free trial now. If I like it I will pick it up for the 10 bucks. I don't have much time to decide so I hope the first 4 hours of game play are somewhat indicative of the game.

--John Ruskin

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well IF the game is considered good by a gamer who spent the 10 bucks,they will want to play the entire game which will cost them a ton.So the 10 buck offer is a weak one,just free trial and if you like it then decide if the REAL cost to play the game is worth it.
    Basically the 10 bucks is a free trial because no way would i ever buy the game piece by piece,i would want an entire package deal.I am however and why i am not playing the game,VERY skeptical of Zeni and their DLC's/expansions,i have been duped into sub par over priced dlc/expansions before and has made me very leery on doing it again.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Wizardry said:
    Well IF the game is considered good by a gamer who spent the 10 bucks,they will want to play the entire game which will cost them a ton.So the 10 buck offer is a weak one,just free trial and if you like it then decide if the REAL cost to play the game is worth it.
    Basically the 10 bucks is a free trial because no way would i ever buy the game piece by piece,i would want an entire package deal.I am however and why i am not playing the game,VERY skeptical of Zeni and their DLC's/expansions,i have been duped into sub par over priced dlc/expansions before and has made me very leery on doing it again.
    I don't ever recall being duped by a gaming company. I do my due diligence and only spend money when I feel like it is a good idea. I also don't have an irrational need to buy everything at once. I can take it slow and see where the game leads me. I am not in a hurry and my guess is some of the other expansions will go on sale at some point. Even if they don't I will have a good idea if I feel they have the value by the time I buy them.

--John Ruskin

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    I have just the normal game i never bought any expansion you can play a long time to finish the normal game.
    i made a big mistake never finishing ESO we were all pissed cause it did not feel like skyrim but it is like skyrim the mmo;)
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Wizardry said:
    when i play ESO, i spend $15 per month and get all the DLC's and perks. that is the real cost of the game and it beats buying countless games on steam or on a console that i play for a few days and get bored of just to buy more games.

don't buy the expansion if you are afraid you wont like it. honestly, judging by most of your posts, i would suggest you never buy any game/expansion unless you have tried it and know for sure you like it.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited April 2017
    It's on sale on the official site as well.. and you should buy it there instead of the steam version. The crown sales on the official site can't be used with the steam version and vice versa. The sales on the official site are usually better.

But, yes, you can play the game just fine without the upcoming expansion. Absolutely no problem.

302 hrs.. that's how many hours it took me to complete the main storyline and all the content for '1' alliance on my first character. No dungeons, no DLC, no PvP. That's less than 1/3 of the game's content. Normal gameplay, not really rushing or anything. For your 10 bucks you'll have over 1000 hours worth of content. Then, if you want more.. you can get the DLC and morrowind.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.