Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you pay cash shops

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited April 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Do you pay cash shops in mmo's ?

For not seeming biased, I'll not comment is the opening post.

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited April 2017
    Damm, it posted before I was finished !!!@!

No edit on polls.......To make matters worst, I have to vote a positive on something I feel strongly against just to see the results...... Anyway have fun with this :)
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Hmm...  I see what you did there!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Yeh, I'd see if you can get this thread locked as its pointless without at least one "no" answer. 

For example, I've never spent money in an MMO cash shop and likely never will. If I need an item in a cash shop (e.g. permanent stat boosts), chances are it is pay 2 win and so I'll quit. And if I don't need the item (e.g. cosmetics), then the items have no value so why would I spend money?
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Do you pay cash shops in mmo's ?

For not seeming biased, I'll not comment is the opening post.
    ...not seeming biased... There is no NO option at all - you're kidding me?

If I can help it I'm not using cash shops at all, certainly when a game pushes you there (TRION is a good one at it) and then I mostly leave the game before the 'need' for a cash shop arises. Today though I've bought 5.5K crowns for ESO only because I want to upgrade my game to the Imperial Edition (and keep some extra crowns for later on, if I ever will use them).
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Used a faction change on wow years ago.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited April 2017
    Well, if it is a cash shop game and I am enjoying the game then "yes" of course I do. These companies aren't making games because they love us. They want to have jobs, keep the company going.

If I'm playing a game then it's worth my money. If I'm not willing to support the businesses/products/services in my life then I don't use them.

To that end, if a game is not worth my money then it's certainly not worth my time which is far more valuable to me.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Bad poll choices. Selected yes, but I don't love them. If I see something I like, I'll probably buy it. Simple as that.

Bad poll choices. Selected yes, but I don't love them. If I see something I like, I'll probably buy it. Simple as that.
    I agree, which is why I didn't answer the poll. I'd rather have a sub but if they make their money through cash shops then that is how I give my money.

Still, it posted before he was finished so in truth it's not really much of a poll.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Cash Shop games are a cancer in my opinion. Not gona vote because the poll is incomplete.

But when I play them I use them, very reluctantly. You literally have to if you want to be anything other then extremely casual in the game. Since all the hardcores and top guilds will be taking 2nd mortgages on their homes and getting side jobs to epeen around. And to counter the typical argument no it does not balance people with alot of playtime and those with little... because the people with alot of playtime typically also drop huge $$$ into the game to get even more advantage.

That being said I will say it is complete BS that anyone has to pay more then $15/month to stay competitive. Most the F2P/Cashshop model games you are required to spend nearly $100/month/week to stay in the upper tier. Skill and Playtime have little to no bearing on how well you progress in todays cash shop games.

You can literally work for 8 months 5hrs a day in the game... and some new player who has been playing a week can drop $1000-$2000 into the cash shop and instantly pass you.

Cashshops need to die in a fire.... and devs need to realize if you actually make a good game for once people will gladly sub for it. Cashshops are just a scam to get people to pay more to enjoy the game to its fullest.
    Xatsh said:
    And to counter the typical argument no it does not balance people with alot of playtime and those with little... because the people with alot of playtime typically also drop huge $$$ into the game to get even more advantage.

devs need to realize if you actually make a good game for once people will gladly sub for it. Cashshops are just a scam to get people to pay more to enjoy the game to its fullest.
    I agree, that argument doesn't pan out as those who are willing or can play many hours per day are also going to want to be as competitive as possible so they will drop as much money as they can in order to win.

I also agree that people will pay a sub if the game is good.

Part of it being good is having events or enough updates so that people feel they are getting their money's worth.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    I don't mind cash shops for extras that you don't really need. I hate when games put vital things behind a paywall like inventory space. These same games tend to have a thousand different drops you need for quests/faction turn-ins as well......knowing you will eventually just buy the inventory space.

If a sub exists to alleviate such things, as in ESO, cool. If not, the cash shop sucks. Cash shops for cosmetics and some convenience is okay.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Never.

I'm fine paying for a game, but I'm not OK paying for bits and pieces of a game. It's as simple as that.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I will only buy content from a cash shop. Expand your game and I will be happy to pay for it.

I don't want to play for free.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I would prefer that there only be cash shops for cosmetic/fun items that convey no advantage.

That said, I evaluate each game and decide how I feel about it. Sometimes I do use the cash shop.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Sovrath said:
    Xatsh said:
    And to counter the typical argument no it does not balance people with alot of playtime and those with little... because the people with alot of playtime typically also drop huge $$$ into the game to get even more advantage.

devs need to realize if you actually make a good game for once people will gladly sub for it. Cashshops are just a scam to get people to pay more to enjoy the game to its fullest.
    I agree, that argument doesn't pan out as those who are willing or can play many hours per day are also going to want to be as competitive as possible so they will drop as much money as they can in order to win.

Part of it being good is having events or enough updates so that people feel they are getting their money's worth.

Again, though, this always seems to come up in the context of this conversation, but people talk as though P2W is rampant, when it really isn't. In the scenario of "end game", there are few games where spending any money, let alone $15 a month, would get you any significant advantage over other players. It's probably a handful of games where this idea of paying for an advantage is actually a "real thing". 

To answer the poll, if I'm actively playing a game, I will pay for it. If it offers a sub, I'll do that, if it doesn't, then I'll buy something through the cash shop. However, the later almost never turns out to be as regular as monthly. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I have no problem supporting games I like, if that's a cash shop that's fine.

That being said, most games that lean on cash shops aren't games that I enjoy enough to support.
    CrazKanuk said:
    Sovrath said:
    Xatsh said:

Again, though, this always seems to come up in the context of this conversation, but people talk as though P2W is rampant, when it really isn't. In the scenario of "end game", there are few games where spending any money, let alone $15 a month, would get you any significant advantage over other players. It's probably a handful of games where this idea of paying for an advantage is actually a "real thing". 

To answer the poll, if I'm actively playing a game, I will pay for it. If it offers a sub, I'll do that, if it doesn't, then I'll buy something through the cash shop. However, the later almost never turns out to be as regular as monthly. 
    Part of the problem is what people consider "advantage".

some people think that someone buying a little more bag space is "advantage".

I always think of "pay to win" as buying power. Better weapons, armor, skills, etc. within a competitive situation.

I believe there are games that allow this but none that really appear on this site (or at least often).

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited April 2017
    Yeh, I'd see if you can get this thread locked as its pointless without at least one "no" answer. 

Well in fairness to the OP his poll is constructed much in the same fashion as MMORPG.com's end of the year polls.

Recall rather than provide a "none of the above" option you are instructed to not cast a vote and just post a comment in the thread expressing your displeasure.

Same thing here...

Keeps things from being "messy." ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Sovrath said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Sovrath said:
    Xatsh said:

I always think of "pay to win" as buying power. Better weapons, armor, skills, etc. within a competitive situation.

I believe there are games that allow this but none that really appear on this site (or at least often).

The only game I ever played where P2W was a thing was ROM (Runes of Magic). That being said, "winning" was so cost-prohibitive that I never "won" anyway. I did buy a house, though, and some furniture :)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sovrath said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Sovrath said:
    Xatsh said:

I'm in agreement and even in items that appear to give strong advantage, such as selling PLEX for ISK or skill injectors in EVE as long as in practice there is no discernable impact to my gameplay I don't really care.

Someone may have "beaten" me somewhere in game using both of these however their behavior and outcome are indistinguishable from those who didnt so no matter.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    If I enjoy the game and my budget for gaming is ok, then I have few problems with it.  Sometimes the items are priced a little too high for my taste but it's the same with games that have great features and terrible features.  I suffer through the few bad parts for the enjoyment of the many good parts.  If more bad than good, then I won't play.

The title seems a little off also.  It's like asking the question, do you pay your grocery store.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Depends on the cash shop in question, and the game systems involved with it.
    If it's something where you have to pay for everything to get anywhere, then no, it'll be a hard pass.

Cosmetics and some inventory upgrades on a F2P or B2P game? Absolutely.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Jackson_LeeJackson_Lee Member CommonPosts: 14
    I'm always a f2p player in MMO, will only spend on cash shop if I feel really enjoy the game and gonna stay with the game a longer period. 
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Much prefer to subscribe if that option is available and then get the free game currency that comes with it. I have not spent money on cash shop items directly and don't plan to.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    I only spend money if I think the prices are fair and I absolutely never give money to P2W games. If you try to gouge me (BDO costumes) or sell basic functions (SWTOR) you can go to hell. You can go to hell and you can die /MrGarrison.