Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Warden From the Ground Up - Elder Scrolls Online - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Warden From the Ground Up - Elder Scrolls Online - MMORPG.com

Elder Scrolls Online News - The Elder Scrolls Online site has been updated with a brand new blog post to introduce fans to the new Warden class that will be arriving with the Morrowind update later this year. The post includes a look at the design philosophy and how the Warden fits into the overall game world and into groups.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I'd love to play the Warden but i'm not sure why Zeni limited the class to a bear pet. I personally dislike bears and i never use/tame bears with any hunter/ranger class. In GW2 i have 7 or 8 Norns and i've never used the bear spirit elite skill either.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'm getting a Revelation Summoner vibe with all these temporary pets which are essentially just DD or DOTs with pet-like GFX. It's weird that the alleged "pet class" only has one permanent bear pet, and that only at the cost of the ultimate slot on both of your weapon bars.

But I guess a new class is more marketable than the much better idea they once had about giving everyone the ability to discover and add new skills through spellcrafting. But that was Nick Konkle's baby and it died when he left ZOS. 

Just look at what they once had in mind (starting at 53:10 of this video) and tell me that's not more exciting than just a new class:

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    So they take away your ultimate slot for this class?  What an absurd idea.  Not enough slots as it is and they remove one, not even worth the bother to play this class just for that one reason.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited April 2017
    the guy talking about spellcrafting in that video above makes the same gestures (even facial gestures) as Phil Spencer when talking in public.

edited April 2017
    Ozmodan said:
    So they take away your ultimate slot for this class?  What an absurd idea.  Not enough slots as it is and they remove one, not even worth the bother to play this class just for that one reason.

It's part of their design choice in that any summoned creature needs to be on both bars or they are unsummoned when you switch to your other bar if the skill is not also on that one.

It has been a source of annoyance for sorcerers for a very long time and there have been many requests over the years to let the summoned creature persist until unsummoned or killed without this requirement.

Some of us thought when the Warden class was announced with its permanent ultimate bear pet that this was a great opportunity for them to revisit this annoying both-bars requirement... surely they didn't want to tie up both ultimate slots with one pet summon... unfortunately they did indeed opt for the worst possible way to do it.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Same problem with the Wizard and summoned creatures, I don't even bother to switch weapon bars with him, just not worth it.  Just bad UI design.
    Ozmodan said:
    Same problem with the Wizard and summoned creatures, I don't even bother to switch weapon bars with him, just not worth it.  Just bad UI design.
    You mean the sorcerer not the wizard :) ...and yes that's the one. And it isn't just summoned creatures. They also have an ability, Bound Armor, that works exactly the same way.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Every little drip of info makes me wanna cancel my pre-order a little more...
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2017
    Still looks like the FFXI beastmaster is easily the best pet class i have ever seen with almost NO limitations a because you can charm mobs in the wild or use MANY jug pets.As well without knowing how they limit the dps output,the BST  again was no diluted just because you had a pet,all they did was lower your xp output which imo was fair.

On a whim having seen every pet class from many games,i bet the combo will be so limited it will come off as one single dps output,which imo makes for a FAKE pet class but we will see.
    On a side note,i never think of the term Warden as a pet class,go figure someone is copying the idea outright from Everquest.I think of Warden,i think more of a Crowd Control class.

This is why the term Beastmaster makes way more sense,you are not limited because you are one who tames beasts.The fact you would LIMIT a skilled tamer to ONE pet does not  make any sense at all.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Luckily I should be able to create a vampire or werewolf hybrid warden and use their ultimates instead of the bear, if I want.  The quests are so watered down now it should be easy to create them at level 11 or 12 now.  As a werewolf he should make a nice druid.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Dropped the pre-order for the BOXED deluxe edition at my local game store. I want that dorf statue AND play a warden - win-win for me :D
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Ikeda said:

Yeah i don't see this as a very fun class to play at all. And its because of their limited hot bar that turns me off from this game every time.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    This will probably be the first class I take to max level.
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Doesn't look that bad personally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Ikeda said:
    Why pre-order when you don't have this kind of info in the first place? Pre orders are for those who really don't care what they get.. they just want t. If it's simply for the bonuses at least wait until the final days pre-orders are available. At least that way you have a good bit of information about such things. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507
    edited April 2017
    I watched the video introducing the warden with bear - and I found it very boring and uninspiring. Was wanting to come back for it - but not now.
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285

Iselin said:

I'm getting a Revelation Summoner vibe with all these temporary pets which are essentially just DD or DOTs with pet-like GFX. It's weird that the alleged "pet class" only has one permanent bear pet, and that only at the cost of the ultimate slot on both of your weapon bars.

But I guess a new class is more marketable than the much better idea they once had about giving everyone the ability to discover and add new skills through spellcrafting. But that was Nick Konkle's baby and it died when he left ZOS. 

Just look at what they once had in mind (starting at 53:10 of this video) and tell me that's not more exciting than just a new class:

This is where the focus needs to be. Maybe it will be coming at some point soon...
  • WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    ESO needs more skills and more skills on the skill bar. The game feels quite bland skill wise.
  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

Wedlen said:

ESO needs more skills and more skills on the skill bar. The game feels quite bland skill wise.

yes, forced weapon switching is a strange concept. GW2 is the same problem for me. Those few skills and weapon switching...

butif you want to make a console game you have to limit the UI. TESO would be a better PC game without this limitations
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Iselin said:
    Ozmodan said:

It's part of their design choice in that any summoned creature needs to be on both bars or they are unsummoned when you switch to your other bar if the skill is not also on that one.

It has been a source of annoyance for sorcerers for a very long time and there have been many requests over the years to let the summoned creature persist until unsummoned or killed without this requirement.

Some of us thought when the Warden class was announced with its permanent ultimate bear pet that this was a great opportunity for them to revisit this annoying both-bars requirement... surely they didn't want to tie up both ultimate slots with one pet summon... unfortunately they did indeed opt for the worst possible way to do it.
    I can understand the frustration but the reasoning seems rather apparent. Wouldn't that allow a class to essentially use two ultimates at the same time if they dropped that restriction? I haven't played a sorc, so I don't know the overall benefit of their pets, yet if pets are effective in combat situations it would make sense to limit the use of another ultimate while they're called.  

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

I'd love to play the Warden but i'm not sure why Zeni limited the class to a bear pet. I personally dislike bears and i never use/tame bears with any hunter/ranger class. In GW2 i have 7 or 8 Norns and i've never used the bear spirit elite skill either.

There will be a new section in collections for different combat pet skins - so far only colors but i think different animals will be highly likely
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

Wizardry said:

Still looks like the FFXI beastmaster is easily the best pet class i have ever seen with almost NO limitations a because you can charm mobs in the wild or use MANY jug pets.As well without knowing how they limit the dps output,the BST  again was no diluted just because you had a pet,all they did was lower your xp output which imo was fair.

On a whim having seen every pet class from many games,i bet the combo will be so limited it will come off as one single dps output,which imo makes for a FAKE pet class but we will see.
    On a side note,i never think of the term Warden as a pet class,go figure someone is copying the idea outright from Everquest.I think of Warden,i think more of a Crowd Control class.

This is why the term Beastmaster makes way more sense,you are not limited because you are one who tames beasts.The fact you would LIMIT a skilled tamer to ONE pet does not  make any sense at all.

I personally really liked the guild wars 2 ranger - not only for the interactivity between paasive effects / active skills from u and your pet but also the pet hunting and variation... i wish eso has moved in this direction....
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:
    Ozmodan said:

I can understand the frustration but the reasoning seems rather apparent. Wouldn't that allow a class to essentially use two ultimates at the same time if they dropped that restriction? I haven't played a sorc, so I don't know the overall benefit of their pets, yet if pets are effective in combat situations it would make sense to limit the use of another ultimate while they're called.  
    It's hard to explain how the sorcerer summoning abilities that need to be on both bars work to someone who hasn't played a sorc. Suffice it to say that neither the two pets nor the armor buff that work that way for sorcs are so powerful relative to a multitude of other abilities from other class and non-class lines, that would warrant this on the basis of being OPd otherwise.

As to an ultimate that persists instead of being fire and forget, there already is one of those in the game... once again, it's the sorcerer that has it: Overload.

The way Overload works when you activate it it replaces basic weapon light attacks and heavy attacks with a lightning ball or Sith-like AOE lightnig stream respectively that you can use as quickly or slowly as you want until you run out of ultimate resource. While you have it active you do not accumulate ultimate resource nor can you use another ultimate but you can continue using any other non-weapon skills together with Overload attacks.

There is no reason the Warden's bear ultimate could not work in a similar way while taking up just one of the two ultimate slots instead of both.

Having 2 ultimates at your disposal in a build isn't about being more powerful: it's a tactical choice about being able to adapt to different situations by choosing the one of the two most appropriate at the moment. It's often just as simple as using a massive DD ultimate like Ice Comet or a group buff ultimate like War Horn, for example, at the right time.

What this requirement does for Wardens is that it takes away from those tactical decisions whenever you want to use that war bear. It's much more about cramping build flexibility than about power.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    Im waiting for the spell morphs.

Seems like an alright class with a lot of flexibility but if they want to get me anticipated for the expansion I need to know how I can build and progress the character.