Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4k gaming monitor vs what i have

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    cichy1012 said:
    is this a 2k monitor? I was looking at this one from dell.  
    what do you all think about this instead of 4k 

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2716dg/apd/210-agjr/monitors-monitor-accessories
    It is, but is it preferable to what you already have?  It's a higher refresh rate, but at the expense of lower image quality.  If you want the higher refresh rate, I'd sooner get the monitor that I have to get the higher refresh rate and not give up the image quality.  It's cheaper than what you linked, too.
  • cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Quizzical said:
    cichy1012 said:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2716dg/apd/210-agjr/monitors-monitor-accessories
    It is, but is it preferable to what you already have?  It's a higher refresh rate, but at the expense of lower image quality.  If you want the higher refresh rate, I'd sooner get the monitor that I have to get the higher refresh rate and not give up the image quality.  It's cheaper than what you linked, too.

any dell monitors out there you think quizz that may be around what you suggested?
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Quizzical said:
    Personally, I use three of these in portrait mode, for a combined resolution of 4320x2560:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236466

You pretty much need IPS if you want to use portrait mode, as TN will look all wrong there.

I really like it, but there are a couple of caveats.  For one, Windows 7 doesn't always load the monitor settings properly to scale an image across there monitors, so sometimes I have to immediately reboot.  Windows 10 didn't have any problems with this.

Another issue is the monitor bezels in the middle of a game window.  It doesn't bother me, but it might really bother some people.  The monitors are large enough that the bezels are further into your peripheral vision than if you were to take just your current monitor and draw two bezels on it.

Due to how I have the monitors arranged with the side monitors slanted slightly toward the center, if you walk around while looking at the monitors, a game looks all wrong.  While sitting in the normal spot, it looks good, though.

So why go this route rather than a 4k monitor?  For starters, 144 Hz is a lot more than 60 Hz.  This is also a lot of inches, so the pixel size is the same as it would be on a 27", 2560x1440 monitor--because that's exactly what the monitors are.  You don't get the tiny icons problem of a 27", 4K monitor.

For the first time in my life, the real question is how much monitor space I want a program to take, and I'm not meaningfully limited by wanting to extend things off of the edge of the monitor.  I don't maximize most programs, though I do for some (not all!) games.

For web browsing, having a taller browser is really nice.  The most annoying thing about a short monitor is that you constantly have to read a little, scroll down, read a little, scroll down, etc.  That's why I was thoroughly unimpressed by the "widescreen" trend and never bought a 1080p monitor because I didn't see 1920x1080 as much of an upgrade over 1280x1024.  If the problem is running out of vertical space, adding more horizontal space adds more load on the video card but doesn't actually help much.

Now I have 2560 pixels of vertical space.  I don't use all of that for a web browser; I generally set it to about 1800 pixels or so of height, as looking all the way up to the top to read is awkward.  Constantly looking all the way into the corner is awkward for games; playing Champions Online was hurting my neck until I rearranged the UI to put some things on the center monitor rather than the far corner.

But then there is the issue of breaking the bank.  Three monitors at $540 each is over $1600 just for the monitors.  I'm planning on keeping them for a long time.  I upgraded from two 1280x1024 monitors, and I got a lot of years out of those.
    It is not a bad screen but the Dell screen i linked (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502) has better colors and faster response time for less cash so I think it is a better choice. 

Going for 3 screens is certainly something the OP can consider, and he can start with one and get more later if he feels he needs that.cichy1012 said:

It is a similar model to the one I linked (my have an R after it whatever that means, otherwise they seems to have the same specs).

But you can find it cheaper, that is $60 more then my link and I didn't spend that much time browsing for it, you might get it a few bucks cheaper if you look around a bit more. Dell makes nice screens but they are expensive if you buy it directly from them.

Anyways, it would be my choice.
    Loke666 said:
    Quizzical said:
    Personally, I use three of these in portrait mode, for a combined resolution of 4320x2560:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236466

It is not a bad screen but the Dell screen i linked (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502) has better colors and faster response time for less cash so I think it is a better choice. 
    I am extremely skeptical that any TN monitor is going to have better colors than a good IPS monitor.  Faster response time, yes, but that's a difference of a few milliseconds and basically one of the inherent differences between TN and IPS.  The monitor you link is $40 cheaper, at least.
    cichy1012 said:
    Quizzical said:
    cichy1012 said:

any dell monitors out there you think quizz that may be around what you suggested?
    Is there some reason why you're set on getting a Dell monitor?  While Dell does make some nice monitors, so do a number of other vendors.
    Quizzical said:
    cichy1012 said:
    Quizzical said:
    cichy1012 said:

Is there some reason why you're set on getting a Dell monitor?  While Dell does make some nice monitors, so do a number of other vendors.
    was going to use my dell card which they give back 6 percent plus wherever i can match them.  
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Buying a monitor is something you can't fully research. Unless you can view it in person, there is a leap of faith you have to make.

I had a terrible Asus 1080p monitor. My father had a slightly different model, also a 1080p from Asus. It looked extremely similar on paper, but ended up being a night and day difference. I also saw two identical laptop models next to each other, one with a great screen, the other with a subpar one. In that case, the laptop manufacturer had two different screen factories in different locations, where one was notoriously poor at manufacturing screen panels, leading to the luck of the draw for the buyer.

It might be worth considering the return policy as a factor. Many shops offer lenient returns these days, where you can give them back the monitor without any reason.
    edited April 2017
    cichy1012 said:
    Quizzical said:
    cichy1012 said:
    Quizzical said:
    cichy1012 said:

was going to use my dell card which they give back 6 percent plus wherever i can match them.  
    I sure hope you're not planning on financing a purchase through Dell and paying 30% interest for years.  If that was the plan, then keep your current monitor and start saving some money.

If it's just an up-front discount and then you're going to pay it off immediately, that's a different matter entirely.  But even then, the key is to compare after-discount prices, not go chasing some fake discount.  Notice that you linked to a monitor for $600 from Dell, while Loke666 linked to exactly the same monitor for $500 from Best Buy.  A 6% discount on the former means it costs $564 to get it from Dell or $500 to get it from Best Buy.  You can also buy the same monitor from Amazon or Microsoft for less than $564.

And that's assuming you're dead set on buying a Dell monitor, whether from Dell directly or otherwise.  Look at other vendors and there may well be better deals on other monitors.

Don't get caught up in pursuing some fake discount.  Dell's business model is that nearly everything is always on some special fake sale.  Dell will do things like take something that you can get for $500 elsewhere, claim it's nominally worth $700, but if you buy it from them today, you can have it for only $600.  But hurry, as the sale ends soon.  Back in the real world, that's not a $100 discount.  That's paying $100 extra.
    edited April 2017
    The DGR model supports HDCP via display port, the DG does not. not sure if that constitutes the price change  or there isnt as many ports? -- the one loki linked..

also they
    price match and would pay monitor off in 3-6 months. ---sigh

i appreciate all your help and suggestions. 

cichy1012 said:
    The DGR model supports HDCP via display port, the DG does not. not sure if that constitutes the price change  or there isnt as many ports? -- the one loki linked..

also they

If you're planning on taking several months to pay it off, I'd recommend waiting until you have the money on hand before buying the monitor.  You could easily pay an extra 10% in interest even if everything goes as planned, or a lot more in case of some unexpected financial problem, which can easily turn even a pretty good deal into a terrible one.  You've already got a nice monitor, and it's not at all clear that what you're looking at is even on net an upgrade.
    Quizzical said:
    cichy1012 said:

also they

If you're planning on taking several months to pay it off, I'd recommend waiting until you have the money on hand before buying the monitor.  You could easily pay an extra 10% in interest even if everything goes as planned, or a lot more in case of some unexpected financial problem, which can easily turn even a pretty good deal into a terrible one.  You've already got a nice monitor, and it's not at all clear that what you're looking at is even on net an upgrade.
    i dont fps really; maybe on occasion. I mostly play MMO's or single rpgs.. so i probably just stick with this monitor. 
    Quizzical said:
    I am extremely skeptical that any TN monitor is going to have better colors than a good IPS monitor.  Faster response time, yes, but that's a difference of a few milliseconds and basically one of the inherent differences between TN and IPS.  The monitor you link is $40 cheaper, at least.
    It is because the background lightning is better on the Dell, it makes a huge difference (not kidding you).Quizzical said:
    I sure hope you're not planning on financing a purchase through Dell and paying 30% interest for years.  If that was the plan, then keep your current monitor and start saving some money.

If it's just an up-front discount and then you're going to pay it off immediately, that's a different matter entirely.  But even then, the key is to compare after-discount prices, not go chasing some fake discount.  Notice that you linked to a monitor for $600 from Dell, while Loke666 linked to exactly the same monitor for $500 from Best Buy.  A 6% discount on the former means it costs $564 to get it from Dell or $500 to get it from Best Buy.  You can also buy the same monitor from Amazon or Microsoft for less than $564.

And that's assuming you're dead set on buying a Dell monitor, whether from Dell directly or otherwise.  Look at other vendors and there may well be better deals on other monitors.

Don't get caught up in pursuing some fake discount.  Dell's business model is that nearly everything is always on some special fake sale.  Dell will do things like take something that you can get for $500 elsewhere, claim it's nominally worth $700, but if you buy it from them today, you can have it for only $600.  But hurry, as the sale ends soon.  Back in the real world, that's not a $100 discount.  That's paying $100 extra.
    Agreed, it is way better to wait a few months and save up the cash . A new monitor is rarely something you need to rush unless the old dies and "buy now pay later" is the oldest scam in the world. There are things you more or less will be forced to buy this way like houses and such but a $500 screen is not one of them, if you can't save that much money in 6 months you probably should keep the old until it breaks.
    Loke666 said:
    Quizzical said:
    It is because the background lightning is better on the Dell, it makes a huge difference (not kidding you).Quizzical said:

Agreed, it is way better to wait a few months and save up the cash . A new monitor is rarely something you need to rush unless the old dies and "buy now pay later" is the oldest scam in the world. There are things you more or less will be forced to buy this way like houses and such but a $500 screen is not one of them, if you can't save that much money in 6 months you probably should keep the old until it breaks.
    Ok bottom line, going from my monitor to what you suggested; is the change going to be shock and awe? Is it going to make a massive difference? BeCause i don't want to sacrifice graphics color and quality for fps. 
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited April 2017
    No it won't. Higher refresh rate is for more twitchy type games. The games you outlined are not twitchy, thus there is little discernable difference at over 60hz. The only ways you will make a noticeable impact is with OLED, 4K, or VR. At below 30", 4K difference is not much.
    Cleffy said:
    No it won't. Higher refresh rate is for more twitchy type games. The games you outlined are not twitchy, thus there is little discernable difference at over 60hz. The only ways you will make a noticeable impact is with OLED, 4K, or VR. At below 30", 4K difference is not much.
    Cleffy I pm'd you.  Thanks
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I just sold my 4k monitor, got a 2k at a higher frequency and like it much better.  The games play much better and the difference in resolution is minimal.   There really are not any good 4k monitors out there unless you want to spend a fortune on one.
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    edited April 2017
    cichy1012 said:
    so i just bought the 1080 gtx TI 11gb founder edtiton and I am in the market for a 4k monitor. Thing of it is I dont know what 4k monitor out there will be compared and as nice as my dell monitor https://www.amazon.com/Dell-U2713HM-27-Inch-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B009H0XQQY

what is a good 4k monitor to go with my new card without breaking the bank when I bought my dell one?

as always thanks!

There all junk, there is only one 4k worth buying, I have owned almost all of them from samsungs 1700 dollar tv, down to aoc 4ks. Also there is no point in getting a 4k 28 inch monitor unless you are gonna sit like 6 inch in front of it. Any ways the only 4k worth anything is the lg oled. The rest have terrible black light bleed, and none of them can get the back light right. So if you dont have enough to go up to oled, just go with the cheapest 4k you can find, because even spending 1700 on samsungs newest one isnt gonna give you a better  picture.  The best picture quality I have seen was sharps 4k from walmart for 380 bucks. It still had back light bleed, but not as bad as samsung. Samsung has horrid black light bleed and you pay 10 times as much. 
    cichy1012 said:
    Ok bottom line, going from my monitor to what you suggested; is the change going to be shock and awe? Is it going to make a massive difference? BeCause i don't want to sacrifice graphics color and quality for fps. 
    The colors look nicer and so does very bright things. You will notice the difference but shock and awe might be a bit overstating things. 

When I changed from my old screen I thought "wow, nice colors" but you really should have a look yourself to see what you think personally. There are certainly screens with better colors but they tend to be insanely expensive.

Here is a review, it talks a bit about the colors in some games including BF4: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-s2716dg/
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    2k high refresh rate > 4k 60hz

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin