Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Backtracks on Flying Achievement Requirements - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Wish they would make it retro for previous xpac's too. I'm an expansion skipper, I still can't fly in panda or draenor. Or maybe I can and don't even know how, other than to know that I can't get the skill at my flight trainer.
  • TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    edited March 2017
    Once you have a zone with cliffs/Mountains/Canyons... I already grumble at not being able to fly. It's hard not to when you are used of being able to fly.

I do have to admit that I like going through the content without it, once. I see where they are coming from, but after I done my quests in every zone it be nice to just give me and my army of alts flying without too much effort (read effort as mind numbing repeating tasks).
    Personally I'd rather see an epic quest line for the main that doesn't involve grinding but instead has a good story or interesting places/persons to see.
  • IphiIphi Member CommonPosts: 1
    Frankly even the "Part 1" requirements are ridiculous. I remember back in BC when you just bought flying, at 900g, and 100g for a mount, and another 5k for "epic" flying. That was a lot of gold in the day, but manageable for people who wanted it, and at least you could say, Blizzard didn't gate you through their content to get it.

I'm a casual player now, with at most an hour or two to play every day. I don't really give a damn about the nightfallen, and I want to leave them to their miserable fate. And yet here I am, feeding them mana, helping them, and training them. I just want to putter around leveling my fishing pole and doing professions with a few quests and maybe a dungeon or two thrown in. The requirement to get revered with every faction, complete the storylines (especially good sumaritan) is utterly depressing. And that's just part 1.

As if they are thumbing their noses at the massive errors they made in WoD, they are now gating flying behind even more ridiculous requirements. You need to basically finish the game before they hand it to you.

And let's not even go into how they're doing the same thing with professions. They utterly abandoned professions in WoD, and now they've suddenly realized they can make us keep forking over monthly subscription fees to continue painfully leveling.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I think the most fair way to get flying should be hitting level cap.  That way you still have to go through it all on your alts.  Seemed to work just fine in TBC and Wraith imo.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited March 2017
    Most "news" that comes from Blizzard for all their games is about changes being made like nerfs/buffs or adjustments and very rarely about new unique features. They make the smallest changes or e-comics sound like top story 2017. Flying Achievement is a WoD feature that most people suffered through and now you gotta do it again and the next xpac you'll have to do it again. They switch something around or move one thing to another place so it seems like they are doing stuff but really they are doing the least amount possible for all their games. How about some real features in HotS or Overwatch that improve the gameplay experience so DOTA 2 & CS:GO don't seem like the most complex games ever created.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

I'm still holding out for legacy servers.  No need to fix flying in vanilla!  ;)

Yeah, just the complete and utter lack of quest content, insane amounts of grinding for everything, shouting in major cities for an hour just to find one dungeon group, getting dismounted by a mouse fart, insanely unbalanced (solo or group) PvP, extremely limited viable endgame specs, raids which took forever & had trash pulls more challenging than the bosses themselves (which in turn were only difficult due to the logistics of getting 40 people to work together), slow and incredibly expensive mounts, obtuse quest directions, useless professions (though those still exist, sadly), overpowered racial skills, lack of overall narrative, bosses which dropped THREE items for 40 people, rampant ninja looting, poor itemization, expensive spell ranks, horrible PvP honor system, useless hybrid classes, no auto-connect for flight paths, boss debuff limits, no target markers, no mass summons, tiered raiding, racially locked mounts, no raid-wide buffs, constant refreshing of buffs, no individual quest item drops in groups, weapon skill training and grinding, hard raid / boss time limits (as in, you don't finish in time you're locked out until the next week)...

But hey, there's no need to fix flying! Hooray!

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    IceAge said:

How about they just ALLOW it for all people who have one 110? Is that so hard?

You are "old" enough to know that .. handing free stuff in MMO's , without spending some time "grinding" it , you will end up with .. "oh uhm .. ok! I quit" , sooner then later.

Free is bad. Just like F2P's out there.

Well, we're going to see how it works out for Revelation Online.  By level 29, about an hour or so into the game, you've got your fast movement Dash, your ground Mount and your flying Wings.  All free.  Let me say that again.  All free.  The grind to get them?  Walk up to a guy and say hello. 
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Aori said:
    I think the most fair way to get flying should be hitting level cap.  That way you still have to go through it all on your alts.  Seemed to work just fine in TBC and Wraith imo.
    Well to be fair, flying had a significant barrier in TBC, gold. Even more so with Epic flying, just like epic mounts did in vanilla. Almost no one had an epic ground mount in vanilla, same goes for TBC, very few people had epic flying. Either way, most people didn't have the gold for regular flying mounts upon hitting level 70. One of the big selling points to druid was free flying.

I would have never gotten epic ground if it weren't for R11. I spent way to much gold respeccing. I never got epic flying in TBC, I probably spent over 20k+ on respecs during TBC. Pretty sure it took me awhile to get it in wrath as well, none of my alts had epic flying as the cost of regular flying+unlocking northrend flying was costly at the time.
    I agree with you about vanilla epic mounts.  That was really hard.  But I have to disagree with you about the regular flying in TBC.  It really wasn't that expensive (about 1000g if I recall).  I got it as soon as I could and had no issues.  Majority of my guildmates and in game friends also had no issues getting regular flying.  Epic flying took some time, but wasn't as difficult as you claim it was.  But then again our mileage might of varied.  I have always excelled at working in my favor any auction house in any mmo i've played.
  • ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
    Considering WoW's endgame is all pretty much instanced-based and at this point World Quests don't do a thing for me anymore... I don't care whether to wait for que to pop while in air or on the ground ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Their last expansion was for me the worst ever.  I only played it for a month before halting play.  This is the first expansion where constant dungeon running is mandatory.   I have no intention of going back either, their class redesign was the worst ever and they keep fiddling with the classes and it is not good fiddling either.

I could go on and on about how bad some of the class designs are, but is not worth the time.  
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

azurrei said:

SBFord said:

It would be nice if we could just fly without these lame requirements at all.

Honestly, in Legion with the whistle, how close the flymasters are packed together and how small the area is, I've hardly noticed.

If you regularly do WQ's on 9 characters each day...the added wasted time on FP's and annoyances on the ground really start to amplify themselves.  Yes, the whistle is nice...flying is an order of magnitude better, however.

9 toons each day? someone needs to take a RL break
  • feztoniofeztonio Member UncommonPosts: 60
    It's not bad without flight other than suramar. There's too much vertical in that zone and the paths are a pain in the ass to navigate as well as the transporter beacons and such - even somewhat knowing my way around the zone it can be emotionally scarring trying to find your way to a specific world quest sometimes and getting lost for hours and still not finding the right mountain path or beacon to warp you there.

But that said, the game made flight a big deal and some of the coolest and hardest to get mounts in-game (not to mention blizzard sells on its shop) are flying mounts. To not allow you to fully use them - dragons running along the ground as if it were a horse is just dumb - seems stupid. I want to fly!
  • GenolongoGenolongo Member CommonPosts: 3
    For the first time in World of Warcraft history the new game developer has added gating/barriers to most all gameplay. I have been a subscriber and a Player vs Environment player since the game launched in 2004. With WOW Legion in order to progress in gameplay I have to run dungeons and raids, some mythic. Blizzard seems not to know or care that subscribers like me do not WANT to play dungeons or Raids. Looking for another MMORPG to play.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2017
    Genolongo said:
    For the first time in World of Warcraft history the new game developer has added gating/barriers to most all gameplay. I have been a subscriber and a Player vs Environment player since the game launched in 2004. With WOW Legion in order to progress in gameplay I have to run dungeons and raids, some mythic. Blizzard seems not to know or care that subscribers like me do not WANT to play dungeons or Raids. Looking for another MMORPG to play.
    I'll say this was a pretty stupid idea in terms of progressing crafts for sure. I dont mind if there's some super rare recipe that drops in them but needing to do them in order to get other recipes is just stupid and you pretty much can't level your craft up without getting the higher tiers well. I guess in this regard its good that they dont really care about crafting anyway since progress with it keeps getting reset with every expansion now. Only useful thing will be bags or mounts if you consider having a variety useful. I personally prefer the needing of going from expansion to expansion to level a craft up since it added value in multiple ways, making every ingredient important and making crafted stuff more valuable since it was tedious to level. Not sure if FFXIV will do this in Stormblood like they did in HW, but it was a nice touch. Only real problem is that they did a system like that and didn't increase inventory space (aside from renting it for real money). Then again gil doesn't have any real value in that game so I suppose it doesn't matter.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Well just doing daily WQ's and killing daily rare mobs I have gotten flying as of today.  So it is doable in a reasonable amount of time with 2 hours a day of work.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    metareal said:
    "I'm not sure what I find the more depressing, seeing companies add more and more of this "content", or the players who actually find plodding endlessly in a circle entertaining game play."

Blizzard and many other developers use behavioral psychology to maximize profit, yes, depressing,
    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/KeithBurgun/20150806/250584/Psychological_Exploitation_Games.php

Ssshhhhhh..  This is Blizzard, they made WoW!  They have no need for these things, and you'll be crucified if you try to lump Blizzard in with the rest of the industry, because obviously they're unlike all other companies and the OW loot boxes are proo- I mean the new WoW loot system is proo- I mean, at least with Heroes of the Storm they aren't using the Skinner box tech- oh shit, that latest update added loot boxes to HOTS?

I'll be damned.  It's almost like Blizzard ISN'T a beautiful gamer benefactor dedicating all their time to pleasing us, rather than hooking us for our dollars using the same slimy Skinner box techniques as the now infamous mobile gaming apps.