Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Scorpio supports FreeSync and next-gen HDMI

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
Last week, Digital Foundry published the hardware spec for Microsoft's next Xbox - Project Scorpio. However, there was one little detail we held back, an aspect of the new console we didn't want to get lost in the noise. In the here and now its applications will be limited, but in the fullness of time, it may help to bring about a profound shift in how displays interface with games hardware.

Comments

• epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    So does this mean HDMI 2.1 will automatically support FreeSync, or are they going to start making "FreeSync" branded TV?  I only ask because for PC monitors, they are branded FreeSync or G-Sync, and not all monitors obviously support this tech.  
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    epoq said:
    So does this mean HDMI 2.1 will automatically support FreeSync, or are they going to start making "FreeSync" branded TV?  I only ask because for PC monitors, they are branded FreeSync or G-Sync, and not all monitors obviously support this tech.  
    I read another article that said it is built into the console and the TV will just need HDMI 2.1. AFAIK there are no 2.1 TVs yet? 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    SlyLoK said:
    epoq said:
    I read another article that said it is built into the console and the TV will just need HDMI 2.1. AFAIK there are no 2.1 TVs yet? 
    shhhh dont tell consumers that.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    One of the benefits of having a console, was that they just worked, on televisions, ordinary televisions.
    As soon as it becomes necessary for people to buy new and probably, expensive televisions in order for their game console of choice to work properly, then imo, thats going to put people off of buying it. O.o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    god I am old.

The way it typically works in hardware is that if something like a console is coming out with a new TV standard (of which I doubt will be the ONLY TV port on the damn thing) its usually because the hardware cycle to produce said TV is about to explode in mass production.

Just like how when VR PC requirements where declared before you had you VR headset shipped the same PC requirements where the Recommended Requirements for AAA games that came out at the same time.

facepalm

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    And with that ends nVidia's gSync technology.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    edited April 2017
    Recore said:
    You are so gullible... The article you linked tells that AMD predicts that... Because THEIR cards push freesync over HDMI. Oh yes, sure, like if AMD has anything to tell what's going to happen to mainstream TVs.
    I don't thikn TVs will come with freesync, and if they will, it's only a small number that will support it (namely the brands that AMD pays to add it). Aside from consoles, there's no reason for TV manufacturers to add yet an other 'standard' (quoted on purpose because when one manufacturer makes something it's NOT a standard) to their TVs. There's not a single broadcasting station that's using (and prolly never heard of) freesync technology. Same for DVDs/BluRays. Freesync is just a PC gimmic, like G-sync. Both to push the best out of the GRAPHICAL card. A card that's not in your cable/satellite receiver. Heck, there's only one announced item that CAN BE connected to the TV that's using this feature (namely the Scorpio) and I don't see that thing launch anywhere before the end of this year, or even take a huge flight in sales.

[EDIT]
    Let me stand corrected -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_2.1 tells "Game Mode VRR which allows for variable refresh rates (VRR) for more fluid motion in games", but not a single word about freesync in HDMI 2.1. And with both nVidia and AMD being in the HDMI forum, I doubt either standard will exclusively come to HDMI - either both or neither I'd say.
    Post edited by Reizla on
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Reizla said:
    Recore said:
    You are so gullible... The article you linked tells that AMD predicts that... Because THEIR cards push freesync over HDMI. Oh yes, sure, like if AMD has anything to tell what's going to happen to mainstream TVs.
    I don't thikn TVs will come with freesync, and if they will, it's only a small number that will support it (namely the brands that AMD pays to add it). Aside from consoles, there's no reason for TV manufacturers to add yet an other 'standard' (quoted on purpose because when one manufacturer makes something it's NOT a standard) to their TVs. There's not a single broadcasting station that's using (and prolly never heard of) freesync technology. Same for DVDs/BluRays. Freesync is just a PC gimmic, like G-sync. Both to push the best out of the GRAPHICAL card. A card that's not in your cable/satellite receiver. Heck, there's only one announced item that CAN BE connected to the TV that's using this feature (namely the Scorpio) and I don't see that thing launch anywhere before the end of this year, or even take a huge flight in sales.

[EDIT]
    Let me stand corrected -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_2.1 tells "Game Mode VRR which allows for variable refresh rates (VRR) for more fluid motion in games", but not a single word about freesync in HDMI 2.1. And with both nVidia and AMD being in the HDMI forum, I doubt either standard will exclusively come to HDMI - either both or neither I'd say.

Common sense has to kick in at some point. 
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Recore said:
    Reizla said:
    Recore said:

[EDIT]

Common sense has to kick in at some point. 
    Still no word on freesync (or Gsync for that matter) being included in the HDMI 2.1 standard. Only thing on gaming in the 2.1 standard is VRR, which is not freesync/Gsync, so both AMD and nVidia need to go back to the drawing table to get their GPUs compatible with that. That means adding Freesync to the Scorpio is only a advertising thing, unless you're gonna play on your monitor instead of your TV...