Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BioWare’s new IP has elements from Destiny, The Division, to be revealed at E3 2017

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    edited April 2017
    This sounds more like EA "tailoring a product for a specific market segment" than a game built with love and passion.

Perhaps they'll surprise us, but I expect the real surprise will come from Blizzard's new "secret project"...
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    This sounds more like EA "tailoring a product for a specific market segment" than a game built with love and passion.

Perhaps they'll surprise us, but I expect the real surprise will come from Blizzard's new "secret project"...
    Atleast we know that whatever Blizzard is cooking up, theyve put their hearts in it.

Not to say Im not interested in Bioware's new IP.
  • urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I'm expecting a boring re-hash or "me too" online shooter to join the rest. Once EA is involved, its over.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

With the exception of lone/very small teams (maybe!) all developments are aimed at specific segments with the aim of making money. Why Blizzard cancelled Titan we have to assume.

That said this doesn't mean that the designers / developers involved cannot work passionately on the project. If that was the case we would have very few "good" releases indeed. And yes sometimes concepts simply don't work out.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Still waiting for a fantasy version of the Division.  Seems like the themepark market would eat it up a smaller more tactical fantasy game.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    gervaise1 said:

With the exception of lone/very small teams (maybe!) all developments are aimed at specific segments with the aim of making money. Why Blizzard cancelled Titan we have to assume.

That said this doesn't mean that the designers / developers involved cannot work passionately on the project. If that was the case we would have very few "good" releases indeed. And yes sometimes concepts simply don't work out.
    There's a subtle but significant difference between:

"We have a great idea for a new game ! Just wait until the players see this one, they're gonna love it !"

and...

" We don't have a product in genre X. Let's design something that fits that market segment..."
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    gervaise1 said:

"We have a great idea for a new game ! Just wait until the players see this one, they're gonna love it !"

and...

" We don't have a product in genre X. Let's design something that fits that market segment..."
    There's a big difference between suits green lighting projects and those who work on those projects. Don't confuse the two on their intentions, passions as well as desires. It's like saying there is no passion in commissioned art. Which is far from the truth. Besides who's to say the team itself didn't first plug such a design, among others, which is usually the case in creative endeavors, teams come up with concepts the suits decide which to greenlight. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    So it's mmo-like, and it has elements from Destiny and The Division. Somehow i feel they will get all the wrong elements from those games such as the mediocre grind based and bullet sponge based gameplay, and completely ignore the good features. Of course that's gotta be it, it's EA.

Time to prove me wrong EAWARE.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    No one should trust that new IPs by EA owned/partnered studios will be any good. EA is really one of the least innovative companies in the industry.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    gervaise1 said:

and...

I don't want to poo poo on your parade, but the reality is that the industry isn't interested in great new game ideas. Ideas are a dime a dozen. I was literally told that by an executive at a large publisher once. The reality is that some of these companies have thousands of employees. So the reality is that they likely have more "great ideas" than what they could ever develop in a lifetime. So it's likely that there is no shortage of great ideas which would be a compromise between "..wait until they see this!" and "...we need a game in genre X"

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Distopia said:
    gervaise1 said:

and...

There's a big difference between suits green lighting projects and those who work on those projects. Don't confuse the two on their intentions, passions as well as desires. It's like saying there is no passion in commissioned art. Which is far from the truth. Besides who's to say the team itself didn't first plug such a design, among others, which is usually the case in creative endeavors, teams come up with concepts the suits decide which to greenlight. 
    For some reason, I don't like that I find myself in agreement with you lately. With this specific comment (which is honestly common sense and shouldn't need to be said), I find myself in extreme agreement.

I think what is worse though, is that someone, before experiencing the product at all, just says it's going to be horrible based on a publisher. That assumption is childish. See the product before you decide. Common sense 101.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    DMKano said:
    Just remember that Bioware is just a name now that EA uses to sell games. Bioware devs that made awesome games are long gone.

So this title is really EA's new game
    Yes, it is EA's Bioware subdivision that EA put an incredible amount of money into to try and make a solid game. The same people from 10-20 years ago are not there (some even might be dead by now).
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited April 2017
    DMKano said:
    Just remember that Bioware is just a name now that EA uses to sell games. Bioware devs that made awesome games are long gone.

So this title is really EA's new game
    Be that as it may it still seems with this team, they are a bit more worried about putting working titles out that both sell and are fun ( more so than they are with their B squads). Hence why they scrapped the last project that was seemingly pretty far along. They also have Drew K writing for them again, which he confirmed recently, I'd bet this is the project he's working on. Since the KOTOR story went down the drain anyway. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson