Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting rumor.... KOTOR revival?

DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
https://www.yahoo.com/news/star-wars-knights-old-republic-151318540.html

Apparently EABioware may be remaking/reviving the KOTOR brand. If true they may be moving it into the current Star Wars time frame. 

Thoughts?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I dont play many single player games any more. This would be one I would make my wife feel like a widow for a week or more lol. My hope is they move well past the time like SWToR is in and jump to some other time. There are so many places they could go. I think KToR and SWToR has given us all we need to see of this time line. I want something new. 
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    Nanfoodle said:
    I dont play many single player games any more. This would be one I would make my wife feel like a widow for a week or more lol. My hope is they move well past the time like SWToR is in and jump to some other time. There are so many places they could go. I think KToR and SWToR has given us all we need to see of this time line. I want something new. 
    i agree but i think we are asking a bit too much.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Nanfoodle said:
    Agreed as well. There was a part that hinted it may be moving into the current (future) Star Wars era, 7-9 is set in. Could be a great era to set an RPG in. Lots to discover there. I sent in a tip to @SBFord  hopefully they use those connects to get some details. 

• beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    My God, I hope this is true!  KOTOR 2 is still one of my all-time favorite games.  I used to know every single line of dialogue in that one, and could probably still cough up some of it even after all these years.  I have a personal rule about not pre-ordering games, but if KOTOR 3 was officially announced I might have to break that one, lol.
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    They already used it in SWTOR which is why i lost interest in SWTOR because it was a VERY lazy design for a mmo.
    I really don't like much of Bioware period,their  designs are all cheap/lazy.I still remember the day i bought KOTOR ,i was really excited,it was my first SW's game and i somewhat enjoyed it for a few days until i realized how simple and repetitive the design was.It is one of the few big name games in my portfolio of hundreds that i have never wanted to go back and play/finish.
    Seeing the poster above me,maybe that's that problem,just like SWTOR i heard so many people praise the  story/dialogue,i thought it wasn't even average but more so below average and VERY predictable.So all 3 aspects,the story/combat/interaction were just not good enough.I realize MOST games fail in interaction but i don't use that as an excuse for every other game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    I love the KotOR games but I hope they don't move it into the current era. That comes with so much baggage. Too many of the hardcore Star Wars fans shit all over anything to do with the original. There would also be the issue of story constraints. It's not like they could introduce Luke Skywalker and have him to turn evil then die at the end. I don't see anything positive coming from using the already established timelines.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    beebop500 said:
    My God, I hope this is true!  KOTOR 2 is still one of my all-time favorite games.  I used to know every single line of dialogue in that one, and could probably still cough up some of it even after all these years.  I have a personal rule about not pre-ordering games, but if KOTOR 3 was officially announced I might have to break that one, lol.
    Agreed, but that includes that they don't mess the whole thing up as well, then they might as well just save us the pain. That might be a bit cynical but Bioware havn't done much good since EA bought them.

And "Knights of the old republic" needs a namechange if they moved it away from the old republic. But sure, a good SW single player game is always nice.
    Avarix said:
    I love the KotOR games but I hope they don't move it into the current era. That comes with so much baggage. Too many of the hardcore Star Wars fans shit all over anything to do with the original. There would also be the issue of story constraints. It's not like they could introduce Luke Skywalker and have him to turn evil then die at the end. I don't see anything positive coming from using the already established timelines.
    I can see the concern there, that said, I'd prefer it to be post ROTJ. As it has so much familiarity and there have been few if any good games set there. There is a lot space between that period and the current franchise to do something interesting. They wouldn't even need to include main characters at all really. Considering Luke did go on to train more Jedi, the possibilities for force sensitivity is there, not to mention other professions, which I'd really like to see other options in that regard than just being a Jedi. 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    If it is true /dancing

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Distopia said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Agreed as well. There was a part that hinted it may be moving into the current (future) Star Wars era, 7-9 is set in. Could be a great era to set an RPG in. Lots to discover there. I sent in a tip to @SBFord  hopefully they use those connects to get some details. 
    I would love to see the birth of the Jedi, the rise of the Sith, or the story around the Star Forge. So much untouched history. 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Gah, I wish a better developer would pick up the star wars franchise and give us a good RPG. 

I'm really just not a fan of bioware, but especially since EA took over. They have always had a strong focus on story, but I've always found their stories to be pretty predictable and poorly written. Their combat has always been pretty shit too. My personal least favourite aspect of Biowares games is companions. I fucking hate companions! You're pretty much forced to use one at all times, they repeat the same shitty few lines of dialogue over and over and the AI on them has always sucked. Even in SW:TOR, I tried to always play without a companion by my side if at all possible because they were so irritating. 

That said, the KOTOR games were alright. The character building, whilst a bit limited, was quite fun. The combat was always shit, as was the stories, but as a star wars fan I could mostly overlook it because I got to kill people with lightsabers. 

The absolute worst thing they could do would be to set it in any time period remotely close to the films. I'm a massive fan of the films and would hate for a new computer game to "corrupt" the story and lore of the films. 
    edited April 2017

The absolute worst thing they could do would be to set it in any time period remotely close to the films. I'm a massive fan of the films and would hate for a new computer game to "corrupt" the story and lore of the films. 
    I can't see that happening considering the vast lore opportunities in any Star Wars time frame. They really don't need to tie in to the Movies at all in order to set the game in any time period. There's a whole galaxy of happenings and locations to draw on or create as well as explore.. It's not like the Old Republic era wasn't set amidst the vast tales of the Jedi comic series. 

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    This could be good but also very tricky.
    Aren't future games held to the same rules of canon as comics, books and movies since the purchase and reorganization by Disney?
    Thourne said:
    Aren't future games held to the same rules of canon as comics, books and movies since the purchase and reorganization by Disney?
    That's a pretty easy thing to get around considering there are so many holes to fill in the greater lore. A good example of that is the many LOTR games, which are set within the time frame of the books, yet tell a different story involving different characters, while only using known events/people in a passing word of mouth nature. 

OG_Zorvan said:
    Thourne said:
    So far none of EAware's KotOR games are considered canon, so Disney may just tell them to stay in their "Legends" box out of the way like they are now.
    It's rare for games to take the official canon route, especially with a cinematic franchise. They usually leave the official tales for box office gains. 

OG_Zorvan said:
    Thourne said:
    So far none of EAware's KotOR games are considered canon, so Disney may just tell them to stay in their "Legends" box out of the way like they are now.
    That was kind of my point.
    If Disney allowed them to reference any of the old KoTOR games it would make them in part or in whole canon.
    It would seem something Disney would likely, prefer left in Legends territory.
    Just for the record I for one would be happy if it just turns out to be a remake of the original on a modern engine with better combat. I'd be happier with a new game entirely of course. 

Distopia said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Thourne said:
    It's rare for games to take the official canon route, especially with a cinematic franchise. They usually leave the official tales for box office gains. 
    Except that in this case, every game released since the rule change  that was released post April 25, 2014 has been canon(Unless I am failing to recall one). This has even included their mobile games.
    Disney has gone so far as to make everything created after April 25, 2014 canon by default, requiring it to specifically denote by case when it is not.
    Thourne said:
    Distopia said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Thourne said:
    Except that in this case, every game released since the rule change  that was released post April 25, 2014 has been canon(Unless I am failing to recall one). This has even included their mobile games.
    Disney has gone so far as to make everything created after April 25, 2014 canon by default, requiring it to specifically denote by case when it is not.
    That may be the true, I hadn't heard that was the case with games, I thought it was mostly in regard to the books. Most games thus far haven't really told stories aside from that mobile RPG that got shutdown. Canon or not I don't think that really effects much for the game though, as like I said above there is so much unexplored territory to draw on for a new RPG project. 

Distopia said:
    Thourne said:
    Distopia said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Thourne said:
    That may be the true, I hadn't heard that was the case with games, I thought it was mostly in regard to the books. Most games thus far haven't really told stories aside from that mobile RPG that got shutdown. Canon or not I don't think that really effects much for the game though, as like I said above there is so much unexplored territory to draw on for a new RPG project. 
    Absolutely.
    Tons they could do and many places they can go.
    It simply makes me curious how hard they will be constrained by canon requirements or if they just side step the whole thing.
    Regardless of which way they choose to go it isn't like I wouldn't be pre-ordering :)
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Distopia said:
    Just for the record I for one would be happy if it just turns out to be a remake of the original on a modern engine with better combat. I'd be happier with a new game entirely of course. 
    I'd play that.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Wizardry said:
    They already used it in SWTOR which is why i lost interest in SWTOR because it was a VERY lazy design for a mmo.
    I really don't like much of Bioware period,their  designs are all cheap/lazy.I still remember the day i bought KOTOR ,i was really excited,it was my first SW's game and i somewhat enjoyed it for a few days until i realized how simple and repetitive the design was.It is one of the few big name games in my portfolio of hundreds that i have never wanted to go back and play/finish.
    Seeing the poster above me,maybe that's that problem,just like SWTOR i heard so many people praise the  story/dialogue,i thought it wasn't even average but more so below average and VERY predictable.So all 3 aspects,the story/combat/interaction were just not good enough.I realize MOST games fail in interaction but i don't use that as an excuse for every other game.
    Why even post if yo don't like the company or the game.  Do you have a need to feel superior to everyone else because you think the game is lazy/cheap and therefore have more discerning taste. 

I have a serious question.  Is there a AAA game in the last 5 years that has been released that you do like?  10 years?  I would like to see the list of games that are not lazy/cheap. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Thourne said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Thourne said:
    That was kind of my point.
    If Disney allowed them to reference any of the old KoTOR games it would make them in part or in whole canon.
    It would seem something Disney would likely, prefer left in Legends territory.

Who gives a crap about canon?  Make a good game to heck with canon.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"