Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's With Warhammer? - Garrett Fuller at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhat's With Warhammer? - Garrett Fuller at MMORPG.com

Games Workshop is a mystery to many. A company that began as a grassroots RPG and model company in the U.K. Now has become a global titan in gaming. Yet, everyone seems to think that Warhammer should be bigger than it actually is. Well in some cases this is true, but the story here is more about the company making a fantastic come back and growing its brands to be a global leader.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    If I remember right, warcraft was originally going to be a warhammer game, but games workshop refused to give them the license. Wonder if they regret that decision now
  • grigdushergrigdusher Member UncommonPosts: 139
    edited April 2017
    no it was different: blizzard was unhappy to work with license (they had a bad experience with DC and the superman videogame )https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_and_Return_of_Superman, so they decided to create a new ip instead of use licensed IP. http://kotaku.com/5929161/how-warcraft-was-almost-a-warhammer-game-and-how-that-saved-wow "[Blizzard co-founder] Allen Adham hoped to obtain a license to the Warhammer universe to try to increase sales by brand recognition", Wyatt says. "Warhammer was a huge inspiration for the art-style of Warcraft, but a combination of factors, including a lack of traction on business terms and a fervent desire on the part of virtually everyone else on the development team (myself included) to control our own universe nixed any potential for a deal. We had already had terrible experiences working with DC Comics on "Death and Return of Superman" and "Justice League Task Force", and wanted no similar issues for our new game."

war 40K Eternal Crusade: refferal 4$ bonus: EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Give me a computer, turn based strategy game for 40K with a decent AI and I'll slap money on the table so fast it would their eyes bleed, even if I had to purchase each army separately.

The last thing I was is a FPS or RTS. Neither game style suites my preferences.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• nastilonnastilon Member UncommonPosts: 150
    I love warhammer but they killed off warhammer fantasy and basically turned it into warhammer 40k as well.. :( Age of Sigmar is rotten to the core. How can it compare with the old world such as Altdorf, Sylvania, Bretonnia, etc....
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    That Warhammer MMO was the most fun I ever had in PvP and this is from a person who loves PvE. But every iteration of the game seems fraught with problems. It's like it's cursed or something.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284
    I feel like with all the Warhammer games out there. Many are solid, some great, but still waiting on one to come along and really push the brand into gaming pop culture. If you ever get the chance to talk to the Blizzard guys, they are all HUGE players. Every time I see them at a show we always talk Warhammer.
     :p 
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    No mention of Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade? It just went free to play and while I doubt anyone would ever accuse ti of being the game that brings 40K into the spot light (especially in light of ideas to big for reality that have marred it's production) it is a solid lobby shooter, and it has some interesting progression. The fan base seems to be mostly staunch 40K fans. and lets be honest, with what passes for an MMO on these forums, Eternal crusade is absolutely within...standards?

Anyway, if you want a fun, free, lobby shooter in the 40K theme, check it out. all it will cost you is time.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited April 2017
    Its also the comp Blizzard got alot of their Ideas from- remember Blizzard wanted to buy warhammer franchise along long time ago...so these guys (workshop) are the REAL thing! great games to checkout: Total war-warhammer// Mordheim: City of the Damned// Man O' War Corsair// Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II// Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach// Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr// and the one that got away...Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium all stellar games-
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    I remember going into my local Games Workshop and asking people why they thought the MMO shutdown.

Most of them came to the same conclusion, most who play the game like to build,control armies and not a single character.

That's why the RTS games are more successful than MMORPG's.

Asamof said:

If I remember right, warcraft was originally going to be a warhammer game, but games workshop refused to give them the license. Wonder if they regret that decision now

doubt it.
  • ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328

Hatefull said:

No mention of Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade? It just went free to play and while I doubt anyone would ever accuse ti of being the game that brings 40K into the spot light (especially in light of ideas to big for reality that have marred it's production) it is a solid lobby shooter, and it has some interesting progression. The fan base seems to be mostly staunch 40K fans. and lets be honest, with what passes for an MMO on these forums, Eternal crusade is absolutely within...standards?

Anyway, if you want a fun, free, lobby shooter in the 40K theme, check it out. all it will cost you is time.

I play WH40KEC, as well, and I openly admit it is the very first (and only) FPS/RTS, so I have no frame of reference as to how good or bad it is in comparison, but I love the art and the progression ladder and load out points give it that rally spot on WH40K feel to it. However, it feels half done, with tons of options that go no place, the functions are clunky, combat feels awkward, not to mention that they only have a "vault" option, and no jump means , results in sometimes getting stuck on terrain, with no ability to jump/climb over it.

Now Like I said, I have not played any RTS games before, so this just might be the way they are, and if that is the case. so be it, but, in comparison to another MMO I am playing, Trove, MMO, it just feels difficult to move around and fight.

Right now, I continue to play, simply because I like the W40K setting, I love the graphics this game has, and all in all, the progression ladder is spot on to the lore, so I am right not at the point, playing hoping that somehow this game is gonna get better. but, I am getting the vibe that once DoW-III comes out.. I'll be swiftly moving on to that for my "Fandom Fix". For all they have done right with WH40KEC, there feels like so much is missing to make this game complete.

Just my feels tho.
  • bigcrackerbigcracker Member UncommonPosts: 87
    They need to bring the table top game online. I live in a major city and have a GW 45mins away from me to play, but I have tons of friends online that are willing to play. Table top simulator shows this can be done, GW needs to work with a game company and make models and maps and charge a DLC price for it or even MTG Online. Fans would drop so much money on it to be able to play with friends they rarely or never see in person.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I problem I have with Warhammer is that they seem to give their IP to any swinging richard out there. Means there are some really good games, but some really bad ones also. I think they would be better served, being a bit more judicial with giving out their permissions.

I self identify as a monkey.

• PC_FerretPC_Ferret Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I used to play WH40K back in the 1980's and '90's. GW has ONE property that would make a very interesting MMORPG and that's NECROMUNDA, which is the closest GW ever got to Tabletop RPG.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited April 2017
    Seems like they go for quantity over quality when it comes to most of their video games and the highest quality one they shut down. They seem to pick only very small studios after EA(WaR) to develop their games and it makes me wonder if it's because of some strange power trip that they are rumored to have with companies they work with. I'd like to see better online multiplayer games come from them in the future whatever genre they may be as long as they up the quality control a bit.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Give me a computer, turn based strategy game for 40K with a decent AI and I'll slap money on the table so fast it would their eyes bleed, even if I had to purchase each army separately.

The last thing I was is a FPS or RTS. Neither game style suites my preferences.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/502370/

That Warhammer MMO was the most fun I ever had in PvP and this is from a person who loves PvE. But every iteration of the game seems fraught with problems. It's like it's cursed or something.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Lovead Warhammer the mmorpg. Don't care what anyone says, it was one of the funnest PvP mmos I've ever played. I so wish it was still playable....
    Lovead Warhammer the mmorpg. Don't care what anyone says, it was one of the funnest PvP mmos I've ever played. I so wish it was still playable....
    https://www.returnofreckoning.com/about.php
    Total war-warhammer - that is all you need.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    Games Workshop themselves are idiots.

If you look back through their company history, it is a shambles. They have some great creative minds in the business and have created artwork, models and stories that are truly epic, but their ability to convert that creativity into a successful business has been limited.

On the actual tabletop front, they never seem to be able to create a balanced game. It costs £100s to build your army, then 100s of hours to get it painted up, only to end up with unbalanced games. So, every couple of years they release a new rulebook which fixes some stuff and undoes other stuff. They release new models and new rosters, requiring you to spend loads more money to remain up to date. It is infuriating, so a lot of people quit.

I personally stopped playing the actual game when I was 12. I was using all my pocket money and my dad was getting sick of shelling out all his spare money on it too.

Since then, I've just turned into a casual collector. I probably buy new models every 6 months or so as the quality of their models is still awesome, and the 40k stuff still looks amazing. But, prices are still ridiculous.

On the games front, again, just some really bad decisions by both Games Workshop and the people who use the license. For a long time, THQ has exclusive rights to the license, but used it really badly. They occasionally paired up with decent developers (thats how we got DOW series) but mostly, just trash.

When THQ went bust, Games Workshop went a bit nuts and let anyone use their license, resulting in a ton of shit again. Even games like Space Marine, which looked awesome, was just an extremely bland, linear game with basically nothing to do except walk forwards and kill whatever is in your path.

Still, with all that poor history, the IPs from GW still have massive potential. As far as I'm aware, there has never been a decent RPG for the IP. Someone could easily do an open world RPG in the Warhammer universe and it would be considered awesome (skyrim, but warhammer). The 40k IP is my favourite, so again, I'd love a decent RPG in that universe. The IP is also perfect for a sandbox MMO - it's all about endless wars and territory control, with loads of crafting, building etc to keep us entertained. Dark Millenium looked like it had potential before it got cancelled.

There also seems to be a problem in that a lot of developers seem to focus on races / creatures that they personally find fun, but the general public might not necessarily enjoy. For example, Vermintide, the Left 4 Dead style game, focuses on humans and skaven. I know skaven are relatively popular within the fanbase, but outside, how many people really want to fight overgrown rats? I think these style games would have been much more popular if they'd focused on dwarves, orcs, elves etc - I know they've been overrused, but GW have their own unique take on them and they're still fun.

What I'd really like to see, in order to bring the IP to the general public, is the following:

1) More Total Wars. They've just announced Total War: Warhammer II and III which is great. The first game was amazing, so once they complete the trilogy it'll be epic. I'd also love to see WH40k versions too.

2) A AAA RPG or two. The lore is vast, the landscapes amazing, so tons of potential for an RPG. The only thing that might get slightly in the way is the fact that everyone is constantly at war with one another, so it would be lore breaking if I could play an orc, but visit dwarf strongholds. They might have to simplify it to good vs evil.

3) Warhammer Fantasy MOBA - should be fairly easy to produce, but the lore makes it easy to come up with 100s of characters and maps. Whilst I dont like MOBAs myself, a well made warhammer one would really help get the brand out.

4) A 40k MMOTPS - EC was supposed to be this, but fell massively short. 40k has so many awesome guns, vehicles and melee stuff it really lends itself to a third person shooter style game. I'm imaging planetside with a 40k skin and Space Marine style combat.

5) A 40k FPS - Something like Battlefield, but for 40k. One of the best bits about warhammer is simply the scale - billions of people fighting endlessly for millennia. Its not unusual to have millions of fighters in a single battle (in the books anyway). Its hard to bring that scale to a computer game, but I think a battlefield style shooter with large maps, loads of vehicles etc could give you some awesome set pieces and locations without having to worry about how you got there.
  • MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350
    I've been doing the alpha for Warhammer 40K Inquisitor Martyr and I have been very happy with it so far. It's kind of like Diablo 2 if it was set 40000 years in the future. I would recommend any fan of the arpg genre to check it out.
  • ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328
    @cameltosis

I think the reason they keep putting out new books and models and rules, is to keep people buying more stuff, after all, they are there to sell stuff. I think you are correct tho, this keeps making unbalanced games, and ends up costing their players soo much money, they a lot of people drop off. I had the same thing happen, as I got involved with WH40K due to chaos, as I enjoy modding the models, but, the total lack of balance to the game made trying to play on the table top an exercise in frustration, as I would go from fielding an OP army one edition to having a total pile of crap the next. It simply was not worth trying to play the game, or keep up. While I still enjoy modding and painting a model from time to time, but when it comes to playing the game itself, DoW made a better balanced game then GW has put out, and even WH40KEC, is closer on the fairness of the fights.
  • Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Warhammer MMO was awesome in the first tier zones but terrible in the second and third. An extra year of fine tuning to get the entire game more in the style of the first zone, perhaps by making the experience more compact, and a better graphics engine would have made this the ultimate pvp experience ever.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    You're talking about the Warhammer MMO they shut down a year or two ago?  Yeah, unbelievably fun in PVP.  Loved it.  I can't remember why I didn't stick with that game...