Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Denuvo couldn’t stop Mass Effect: Andromeda from getting cracked on PC in just 13 days

DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
"The PC version of Mass Effect: Andromeda uses Denuvo anti-tamper – the protection service designed to prevent the game from being cracked. Despite this , it’s become yet another Denuvo game to be cracked in record days after launch, reports PCGamesN."

https://www.vg247.com/2017/04/06/denuvo-couldnt-stop-mass-effect-andromeda-from-getting-cracked-on-pc-in-just-13-days/

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    And it was cracked in 13 days, just because hackers were to busy laughing about animations :D

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    They slowed it down a bit wasn't it same day as release before

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    kitarad said:
    Doesn't really make any difference given how quickly it was done, it just means that Denuvo cannot be relied upon to protect games, though if they (EA/Bioware) had taken a leaf out of CD Project Reds book, they might have saved themselves the money they wasted on Denuvo in the first place. :o
    Phry said:
    kitarad said:
    Doesn't really make any difference given how quickly it was done, it just means that Denuvo cannot be relied upon to protect games, though if they (EA/Bioware) had taken a leaf out of CD Project Reds book, they might have saved themselves the money they wasted on Denuvo in the first place. :o
    True. As I understand Denuovo is also very expensive. Although it should not be EA concern

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Those first 2 weeks are probably more valuable to devs then all the time after so thats probably worth it to them, in this case I'd say Denuovo did its job fairly well.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Yeah I think the publishers value the first 2 weeks enough to justify Denuvo.

It's the initial hype-sales boost of release dates they don't want affected by piracy.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    None of the systems seem to actually prevent anything and they add to the overhead that the game uses. Instead, why not have the stream of the game encrypted? 

• ConvaelConvael Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I heard something about Nier is using the new layer of protection from Denuvo and ME:A isn't . Regardless like others have said , they have 2 weeks . Most people who really wanted the game would have already beaten it . After 2 weeks the sales probably have slowed down and the crack wouldn't affect the sales as much.
    DMKano said:
    First 2 weeks is basically 90%+ of all the sales.

So it was well worth it.
    For bad games

Good games actually make more sales later.

I wish for the time companies will actually try to make good games, instead unfinished POS+Aggressive advertising.In order to sell as many games possible until people start to talk how bad the game is.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    botrytis said:
    None of the systems seem to actually prevent anything and they add to the overhead that the game uses. Instead, why not have the stream of the game encrypted? 
    Microsoft seems to have encrypted game files for Gears of War 4 and it kind of stinks if you want to have a backup or transfer the game to another PC without having to redownload it.  I know Steam lets you backup games to an external drive, but I don't see that feature in the Windows Store at the moment.  The other issue with encrypted files is the game can't be modded at all.  I find that kind of bland and restrictive.  I like to see what people can do with these games when thinking outside of the box.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I guess that's why the trend toward requiring an "always-on" internet connection to be able to play any game will continue to gain popularity.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Phry said:
    kitarad said:
    What did CD Project Red do?
    --------------------------------------------
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Phry said:
    kitarad said:
    They didn't pay for denuvo.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    MEA was using the older denuvo version, we shall see how cpy does with the new sniper game which is suppose to use the latest up to date denuvo  version.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    DMKano said:
    First 2 weeks is basically 90%+ of all the sales.

So it was well worth it.
    For bad games

Good games actually make more sales later.

I wish for the time companies will actually try to make good games, instead unfinished POS+Aggressive advertising.In order to sell as many games possible until people start to talk how bad the game is.
    If your minimum standard for "good" is something like Overwatch, or Couterstrike...   You're missing out on a lot of games.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Phry said:
    kitarad said:
    the accepted piracy exist but trusted true fans would buy their game to support them versus trying to hunt everyone down who did not buy it.

in the end it gain more respect from other an increased sells because of it.

Phry said:
    kitarad said:
    Witcher 3 has no copy protection whatsoever. You can basically copy the install and give it to friend

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Who the fuck still pirates games in 2017....? 

This have been a good conversation

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    tawess said:
    Who the fuck still pirates games in 2017....? 

The 100's of millions of people not living in NA/EU, whose disposable income is meagre in comparison...
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    kitarad said:
    ^Basically this.
    People get impatient and jealous when their friends are playing the game THEY want to play, and they can't yet. I've known some who gave in and bought the games themselves for that reason, rather than doing the usual "Haha, people who pay for games are suckers!" sneering.

That Denuvo no doubt already paid for itself during those two weeks.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    RIP Denuvo. 0

Hackers 1

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Phry said:
    kitarad said:
    Witcher 3 has no copy protection whatsoever. You can basically copy the install and give it to friend
    They accepted that a certain amount would pirate the game, but they were people who wouldn't have paid for the game regardless, they still sold 6 million or so copies of the game, the only minor quibble i had with that game was that they limited the PC's graphics to that of the consoles, but overall i think it highlights not just how overrated services such as Denuvo are, but how unnecessary they are, they seem to cause more problems for people who legitimately purchase games, than those who don't. :o
    Gorwe said:
    You can't stop pirates, you can only slow them down. So, why wage war on them and hurt your loyal purchasers? Really, the CD Projekt's approach to this is the most sane one.
    It seems like the Windows Store Apps have not been cracked yet.  They seem to use some type of encrypted files that will no longer work if you copy them to another machine.  

One thing Microsoft could do to stop pirating of Windows Store games is to deny access to Windows Store apps folder.  Right now you can take ownership of the folder, but I'm sure they can completely restrict it and deny people from gaining access to it if they really want to.

I don't see much reason to pirate games unless you don't have money for some reason.
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    kitarad said:
    They accepted that a certain amount would pirate the game, but they were people who wouldn't have paid for the game regardless, they still sold 6 million or so copies of the game, the only minor quibble i had with that game was that they limited the PC's graphics to that of the consoles, but overall i think it highlights not just how overrated services such as Denuvo are, but how unnecessary they are, they seem to cause more problems for people who legitimately purchase games, than those who don't. :o
    I read an article and CDRProeject and their upcoming game that disappointed me a bit.  They said they didn't make as many sales of the Witcher 3 as they wanted too despite the game being game of the year.  I'm willing to bet if they only sold the game through Steam they would have made more money.  From the sounds of it they are going to do what they can to give their next game more mass appeal.  That disappoints me a bit as it almost certainly means going more PC and giving in to the masses.  The Witcher series was never about that and CDRed Project never seemed to be about trying to reach mass appeal.  If they are so worried about their sales then they should not have released the game without copy protection.  I loved the game and paid for it on both PC and PS4.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    The real best way to stop piracy is do what pisses off people but it works out. Put saves on the cloud.

When Simcity released and the saves were put on the cloud, the game was immune to cracks until they released one update with offline play. This would mean the game has to have online connection to be played.

But by removing the save from your filesystem and make it communicate towards authenticated game-servers to do is something that will stop pirates. It's what mostly secures MMOs.