Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ship of Heroes: The Nagdelian Antagonists Explained a Previews at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageShip of Heroes: The Nagdelian Antagonists Explained a Previews at MMORPG.com

In the latest exclusive Ship of Heroes developer diary, MMORPG.com readers are given some background information about the Nagdelian antagonists that will be plaguing players at every turn.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Ooooooooo shiny! Looks awesome!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Looks like Champions Online.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Anyone else think this game could do with a better lore writer/brand designer? I'd say start from scratch.
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Oh, I don't know about starting from scratch. Or if they did, drop the whole "ship" thing and maybe say they landed on a planet and started a colony there. Colony of Heroes. Oh, they might worry about getting sued for the CoH. Maybe Planet of Heroes or Heroic Planet. I'd like to see a game with a whole planet to play on -- Google Earth has our real planet in pictures, 3D and street view, right? Should be possible to make a CG alternate Earth and use that as the backdrop for a game... oh I shouldn't have gotten started...

What I wanted to say was, I'm glad to see some regular output, but ANYBODY can write about story backgrounds, NPCs, archetypes, and all that... what I'd like to see is videos showing testing of gameplay elements, showing they're making progress on programming. Sort of like Worlds Adrift was doing. Having seen much in that line from them lately, though, have you? or from Valiance?
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    edited March 2017
    Ummm... the "Nags?"
    /backs away slowly from this one... edit: how about *any* other consonant?
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Anyone else think this game could do with a better lore writer/brand designer? I'd say start from scratch.
    So how many other MMOs take place on a giant spaceship?
    I think for a grass roots project that started a bit less than a year ago they have come a long ways.  Their crew is a total of ten guys, and one guy has been funding everything since day one from his savings.  They are also too far in to change the lore, even if they wanted to.  They are City of Heroes fans that miss THEIR game.  So they are making what they hope is an even better game.  Actually, if you played from day one, you would realize that City of Heroes had a lot of problems.  Making a successor game that starts off better than the CoH start is actually setting the bar pretty low.  CoH grew into a great game through a lot of trial and error.  All of the successor projects have the advantage of knowing what to avoid with their games.

I think people are missing the point of the 'ship' element.  This allows almost infinite expansion.  They have port of calls that will involve saving planets, and each one will probably add some element to the game, such as powersets and Archetypes.  If a planet sucks, then they never go back.  But a planet that is true awesome would get a teleport link to the ship, so going back is easy peasy.  Also, each level of the ship is about half the size of Paragon City at the initial release of City of Heroes.  They have two of these levels ready to add missions to as well as an 'underground' area between them that is mostly hazard zones.

edited March 2017
    GladDog said:
    I think for a grass roots project that started a bit less than a year ago they have come a long ways.  Their crew is a total of ten guys, and one guy has been funding everything since day one from his savings.  They are also too far in to change the lore, even if they wanted to.  They are City of Heroes fans that miss THEIR game.  So they are making what they hope is an even better game.  Actually, if you played from day one, you would realize that City of Heroes had a lot of problems.  Making a successor game that starts off better than the CoH start is actually setting the bar pretty low.  CoH grew into a great game through a lot of trial and error.  All of the successor projects have the advantage of knowing what to avoid with their games.

I think people are missing the point of the 'ship' element.  This allows almost infinite expansion.  They have port of calls that will involve saving planets, and each one will probably add some element to the game, such as powersets and Archetypes.  If a planet sucks, then they never go back.  But a planet that is true awesome would get a teleport link to the ship, so going back is easy peasy.  Also, each level of the ship is about half the size of Paragon City at the initial release of City of Heroes.  They have two of these levels ready to add missions to as well as an 'underground' area between them that is mostly hazard zones.
    That's all fine and dandy, I was a from day 1ish CoH player. You can rationalize all you want about why it's called Ship of Heroes, that doesn't make it any better. When you are going to spend a lot of money making a game I think it's worth it to spend some of it on branding and a good writer. The Repopulation is the spiritual successor of SWG, but they didn't call it Factions with Differences of Opinions on Population Growth Galaxies.

Look at the subject of this article, the Nagdelians. Really? Where does that come from? A random name generator? And they actually call them the Nags . . . . and they use Unobtanium . . .

I'd like to think this is constructive criticism, I'd like to see a good CoH successor, but I really can't take this game seriously, and it's because of the lore/branding. There are lots of awesome writers out there that wouldn't charge a fortune to come up with something less . . . cringeworthy. You could even keep the ship idea, just change the details and some of the imagery.
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Damn Unreal for giving out the engine for free....

BRB going to DL some marketplace assets from CGPersia and make a mmorpg.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Epic gained my respect a long time ago.Look to the present 2017,Blizzard doesn't give anything away for free with Overwatch and it doesn't even have a single player game either,so cheap 101.

Then we have the licensing cost,sure at one time it was very costly but not anymore.Now you can license it financially for a simple 5% royalties,to me that is a bargain.Epic likely needed to go a cheaper route anyhow,i seriously believe their hard work is being stolen and used in many a game engine now.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

GladDog said:

That's all fine and dandy, I was a from day 1ish CoH player. You can rationalize all you want about why it's called Ship of Heroes, that doesn't make it any better. When you are going to spend a lot of money making a game I think it's worth it to spend some of it on branding and a good writer. The Repopulation is the spiritual successor of SWG, but they didn't call it Factions with Differences of Opinions on Population Growth Galaxies.

Look at the subject of this article, the Nagdelians. Really? Where does that come from? A random name generator? And they actually call them the Nags . . . . and they use Unobtanium . . .

I'd like to think this is constructive criticism, I'd like to see a good CoH successor, but I really can't take this game seriously, and it's because of the lore/branding. There are lots of awesome writers out there that wouldn't charge a fortune to come up with something less . . . cringeworthy. You could even keep the ship idea, just change the details and some of the imagery.
    First off, what is wrong with a new idea?  When Dynamix announced that Tribes would not have any single player campaigns but instead would only be multi-player, EVERYONE said the game would crash and burn, but it was successful enough to spawn a sequel.  When SOE announced they were making a PvP only MMOFPS everyone cringed, but Planetside lasted for over ten years, and also spawned a sequel.  Both of these concepts are now mainstream.

How can you be judging a game that is very pre-alpha based on a concept?  I was also skeptical of the concept at first, but instead of assuming it would suck and bashing it I did the unthinkable - I ACTUALLY RESEARCHED IT.  Now that I understand the concept I am supporting it.

The game is still in pre-alpha, I am sure that some of the names, such as unobtanium, will change.  Heck CoH was called A City of Heroes until beta began, then they dropped the A.

And one last thing - notice how NCsoft put Statesman into one of their beta MOBAs with all kinds of fanfare?  They were putting all of the successor projects on notice that THEY STILL OWN THE IP.  Don't tread on their toes because they WILL kick back.  Things like setting the game on a starship separate them CoH.  There are other things that will also separate them from the game SoH is based on, but this is probably the one that makes being sued unlikely.

• SaltyDog79SaltyDog79 Member UncommonPosts: 119

Samhael said:

Ummm... the "Nags?"

/backs away slowly from this one...

edit: how about *any* other consonant?

Hmmm ok let's call them Vagdelians instead! Then we can call them.... oh.... ummm nevermind....
  • DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    The only successor which will actually release.

Vaporware Online and SoH have the right idea, SoH appears to be taking a sci-fi route, which are big in the gaming realm. This could be a huge mmo in general, because of the sci-fi theme.

saltyd said:

Samhael said:

Ummm... the "Nags?"

/backs away slowly from this one...

edit: how about *any* other consonant?

Hmmm ok let's call them Vagdelians instead! Then we can call them.... oh.... ummm nevermind....

How about Naddelians? Then we could call them...

umm, nevermind...

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Naddelians and Vagedellians are both acceptable. (in fact, I suspect it will catch on in whatever supergroup I join... or I'm not going to be a good fit for that SG!)
    GladDog said:
    GladDog said:

First off, what is wrong with a new idea?  When Dynamix announced that Tribes would not have any single player campaigns but instead would only be multi-player, EVERYONE said the game would crash and burn, but it was successful enough to spawn a sequel.  When SOE announced they were making a PvP only MMOFPS everyone cringed, but Planetside lasted for over ten years, and also spawned a sequel.  Both of these concepts are now mainstream.

How can you be judging a game that is very pre-alpha based on a concept?  I was also skeptical of the concept at first, but instead of assuming it would suck and bashing it I did the unthinkable - I ACTUALLY RESEARCHED IT.  Now that I understand the concept I am supporting it.

The game is still in pre-alpha, I am sure that some of the names, such as unobtanium, will change.  Heck CoH was called A City of Heroes until beta began, then they dropped the A.

And one last thing - notice how NCsoft put Statesman into one of their beta MOBAs with all kinds of fanfare?  They were putting all of the successor projects on notice that THEY STILL OWN THE IP.  Don't tread on their toes because they WILL kick back.  Things like setting the game on a starship separate them CoH.  There are other things that will also separate them from the game SoH is based on, but this is probably the one that makes being sued unlikely.
    Nothing wrong with new ideas, I love new ideas! You are talking about game mechanics, I'm talking about branding and story. I have no objection to the ship idea. I don't think NCsoft could make any claims on Heroes in Cities . . . Marvel and DC would want to have a word with them. ;)
  • lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
    As they say, every epic journey starts with a single step. The developers did a lot of work on this before they even announced its existence to the rest of the world. They have a fully functional character creator (and plan to release a stand alone version for people to create their characters before launch), they've shown us actual combat footage and videos showing one of the cities within the ship that the heroes will be protecting.

Personally I really like what I've seen and heard so far. I'll be supporting the game on Kickstarter in the hope that it'll be successful. Yes, it's a risk, all Kickstarter projects are. But if, as a species, we never took any risks we'd all still be living in caves huddled around a fire jumping in fear at every little sound that reached us from the world outside.
    lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
  • dmcmahonjrdmcmahonjr Member UncommonPosts: 15

lunawisp said:

As they say, every epic journey starts with a single step. The developers did a lot of work on this before they even announced its existence to the rest of the world. They have a fully functional character creator (and plan to release a stand alone version for people to create their characters before launch), they've shown us actual combat footage and videos showing one of the cities within the ship that the heroes will be protecting.

Personally I really like what I've seen and heard so far. I'll be supporting the game on Kickstarter in the hope that it'll be successful. Yes, it's a risk, all Kickstarter projects are. But if, as a species, we never took any risks we'd all still be living in caves huddled around a fire jumping in fear at every little sound that reached us from the world outside.

Yep, their Kickstarter has begun for the next month and a half. And they are very upfront that if they do not meet their goal by then, they will not complete the game. So as I pay some bills, I will be able to see how much I can afford to kick into the kitty. I have great hopes for this game.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I do not understand the philosophy of WASTING your time completely.

I am talking about gambling on money and gambling on your game.All i can come up with is they NEED a job,they need money,so they figure even if all fail,they got paid a wage or likely a salary that comes off first,game second.
    How can you even start a project like that ,not knowing if you will enough money and just wasting your time,employees time and anyone who gave money,their time as well.

Such is life i guess,about 99.9% of life doesn't make any sense.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.