Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Making a Good Game Better - MMORPG.com

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
edited April 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageMass Effect: Andromeda - Making a Good Game Better - MMORPG.com

BioWare has created a solid RPG that’s significantly rough around the edges. This is no remarkable revelation, of course. Much ink has been spilled on the topic; but now that I’ve experienced it myself and we’ve learned what BioWare’s plans are for the game’s future, I felt it prudent to put those plans up against what I feel needs to be done to get the game in better shape.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GrintchGrintch Member UncommonPosts: 132
    I'd like to see some improvement on the map, it can get a little frustrating sometimes.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited April 2017
    ME2 felt like it has full of life when you came to Omega and Illium but in MEA populated places feel bland and dead, void of all life, sure you see NPC here and there but the sounds are not there, the feeling of the environment are not there It's just.....dead.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Hmm... isn't the Bio Converter augment the one that reloads your weapons at a cost to health? Haven't used it yet... what makes it so OP?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    If they fix the weird eyes and bugs, I will pick it up when it's on sale with all the DLCs in a year or two. Till then I have a long list of great games to play on my PC and PS4. Really glad to be over the pre-orders and hype.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    This is the contradiction in video games. The companies put so much weight on opening sales and making a release date but in doing so they effectively sabotage their own games by forcing developers to release buggy games. Would have been that hard to tell the public that they're pushing the release date back a few months and show them some game footage of the clipping graphics?
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    edited April 2017

Iselin said:

Hmm... isn't the Bio Converter augment the one that reloads your weapons at a cost to health? Haven't used it yet... what makes it so OP?

No reload animation, pretty much infinite ammo and 0 reloads. Instead of reloading you lose ~5% hp and you gain full clip. Snipers work like a charm this way you can remain scoped indefinitely and given how strupid strong black widow VIII is (haven't gotten to X yet) with proper build you can even heal. Basically you start dishing out SICK amounts of damage.

Sometimes I wish we had more than 3 abilities. With 4 I could make insane build. With 5 i can make borderline godmode :D Btw is it me or there's no need to use other weapon tech other than Milky Way? I'm running black widow packed with a sidewinder and some random assault rifle. With maxed out combat fitness I have tons of weight. I'm one-shotting most mobs (with headshots) even those special type ketts with the shields. 2-3 bullets and move on. Are there stronger and more versatile weapons? I really didn't like the remnant energy guns. Seemed meh at best.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    If this trend continues, more of us will stop buying games at launch. Imagine how different the play experience will be when you compare the launch day experience to holding off until December, buying this game at half price and having most of the bugs fixed.

I dont know if I am just getting too old for video games or the industry has gotten too big for its britches. I do know that more and more I hear people talk about not buying at launch and being much happier getting the game for half price and being able to play it with the majority of bugs fixed.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Leon1e said:

Iselin said:

No reload animation, pretty much infinite ammo and 0 reloads. Instead of reloading you lose ~5% hp and you gain full clip. Snipers work like a charm this way you can remain scoped indefinitely and given how strupid strong black widow VIII is (haven't gotten to X yet) with proper build you can even heal. Basically you start dishing out SICK amounts of damage.

Sometimes I wish we had more than 3 abilities. With 4 I could make insane build. With 5 i can make borderline godmode :D Btw is it me or there's no need to use other weapon tech other than Milky Way? I'm running black widow packed with a sidewinder and some random assault rifle. With maxed out combat fitness I have tons of weight. I'm one-shotting most mobs (with headshots) even those special type ketts with the shields. 2-3 bullets and move on. Are there stronger and more versatile weapons? I really didn't like the remnant energy guns. Seemed meh at best.
    "Remain scoped indefinitely"... gotcha. I can see it now :)

And yeah, for both weapon and armor I also stick with Milky Way tech.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Iselin said:
    Leon1e said:

Iselin said:

"Remain scoped indefinitely"... gotcha. I can see it now :)

And yeah, for both weapon and armor I also stick with Milky Way tech.
    For armor I went with Remnant armor, almost maxed it out. Just need to grind few more levels. From the vaults I got tons of research points. 

Though I'm really eyeing that sweet N7 armor for nostalgia's sake.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

Talonsin said:

If this trend continues, more of us will stop buying games at launch. Imagine how different the play experience will be when you compare the launch day experience to holding off until December, buying this game at half price and having most of the bugs fixed.

I dont know if I am just getting too old for video games or the industry has gotten too big for its britches. I do know that more and more I hear people talk about not buying at launch and being much happier getting the game for half price and being able to play it with the majority of bugs fixed.

I've stopped playing singleplayer games (not mmorpgs though) at launch 2 years ago. Although just because I am very busy but I found the experience rewarding. I don't see bugs and I buy them cheaper as you said. Yes, I am much happier.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Iselin said:

Instant reloads, no reload animation, with the trade off being 5% of your health on the clip emptying. Buff your shields up and use the Life Support upgrade in Team Support to heal yourself on tech skill usage and you have infinite ammo and crazy ROF. I can fire the massively powerful Isharay like a semi-auto sniper rifle and pump out crazy damage with no real downside. It's just too good. Overshadows everything else.
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    edited April 2017
    The combat is solid, but BioWare allowed a tiny minority of political belief of She Who Shall Not Be Named to influence their design concept on the female and male models. Its a joke.

I'm not a super human buff man but when I create characters in MMO's and RPG's alike, I create my avatar, what I want my digital representation to be in a shared or solo game world. It doesn't make me feel bad about myself to see attractive character models and I'm willing to bet 99.99999% of the rest of the gamers world wide feel exactly the same way as I do. Female or male.

I apologize if ive violated some forum standard by stating the above, but I believe this to be the major mistake BioWare has made... I mean, c'mon, the ME3 Character's looked WAY better...
  • zenomexzenomex Member UncommonPosts: 242
    edited April 2017

Talonsin said:

by the time you're done with that trend that has been going on for ages in the first place, the ones profiting are already swimming in your money and tears. in fact, they probably already are
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Alverant said:
    This is the contradiction in video games. The companies put so much weight on opening sales and making a release date but in doing so they effectively sabotage their own games by forcing developers to release buggy games. Would have been that hard to tell the public that they're pushing the release date back a few months and show them some game footage of the clipping graphics?
    I think the problem is that they feel there will always be bugs to fix no matter how long you delay launch so might as well launch and patch the biggest issues that come up right away and some of the smaller ones later before the next game comes out.  

It's a fine line to walk.  Watch Dogs runs pretty well now but it took two years of patches to make it run descent. That would have been a very long time to wait and some of the problems were so big that sales were bad when WD2 came out and gamers still had that bitter taste in their mouths.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited April 2017
     It doesn't make me feel bad about myself to see attractive character models and I'm willing to bet 99.99999% of the rest of the gamers world wide feel exactly the same way as I do. Female or male.

If that were the case I highly doubt Skyrim would have been as popular as it was. I doubt that many care about the attractiveness of characters TBH. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283
    just sad they forgot that 80% of gamers are male and most male visual creatures, the die has already been cast and nothing they could do to save the sinking ship, i pick this up when everything is fixed and its 75% off, there are better games out there to earn my hard earn money and this clearly is not one of them.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Distopia said:
     It doesn't make me feel bad about myself to see attractive character models and I'm willing to bet 99.99999% of the rest of the gamers world wide feel exactly the same way as I do. Female or male.

If that were the case I highly doubt Skyrim would have been as popular as it was. I doubt that many care about the attractiveness of characters TBH. 
    I don't really. But female Ryder made me queasy. I ended up customizing into a sort of Asian-y female Ryder that honestly looks pretty great. 
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited April 2017

Distopia said:

I agree with this, as long as character models fit the aesthetic. With ME:A specifically though, they just feel off somehow. Like I can almost get my character where I want it, but not quite. With Skyrim, big hulking women with facepaint and massive nasty haired men that took an axe to the face with the scar to prove it fits the aesthetics of that game. The previous Mass Effect games didn't put in extra effort to be "average." Is it any surprise that Andromeda feels out of place as a result of this change in philosophy?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    wanderica said:

Distopia said:

I agree with this, as long as character models fit the aesthetic. With ME:A specifically though, they just feel off somehow. Like I can almost get my character where I want it, but not quite. With Skyrim, big hulking women with facepaint and massive nasty haired men that took an axe to the face with the scar to prove it fits the aesthetics of that game. The previous Mass Effect games didn't put in extra effort to be "average." Is it any surprise that Andromeda feels out of place as a result of this change in philosophy?
    That's a fair point, the ugliness probably does fit the aesthetic of Skyrim more. Although I do have to disagree with the point about ME's past characters, I've always found them to be kinda weird looking especially when viewed from multiple angles. Especially the presets. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Talonsin said:

Completely agree. I hardly buy any games at launch anymore. ME:Andromeda being one of them.

I only bought Zelda and Horizon this year so far and that's it. Those were the only two exceptions.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Will the patch fix the cursor issue ? Windows cursor always pops up in middle of screen after some time. Annoying. I got used to the models. Created my own char which still looks mediocre but not too weird. A little asian though, but the only somehow visuals I were able to make all had that asian look. ;)
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    I'm sorry, but these daily articles from MMORPG staff, defending the game, justifying its failures, and telling detractors they are "childish" or "playing it wrong"....it's just funny now. For Pete's sake, this thing isn't an MMO by any stretch of the imagination, yet every single day there's another write-up here. Lol.

You know, guys, there's nothing wrong with being a compensated endorser. The key there is being honest about it. Oh, and not calling people childish or immature because they fail to see the "glory" in a game that has been widely reviewed as a 4.5-6.5/10, and apparently had little to no QA prior to its release. Sure, the 0/10 and 1/10 reviews are most likely trolls, I get that. But to continue to hype this wreck, and to take such a condescending tack in doing so, is just ridiculous.
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Its nice that they're willing to patch some of the major issues as recognized by players but sadly at this point the game is what it is at its core. You can try and dress it up but you can't change it all that much. You won't get another release or another initial reception. You can't unring the bell. For my money, it belongs in the bargain bin along with all the other half-hearted efforts to recreate a once mighty title, all in the name of cashing in.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Anthur said:
    Will the patch fix the cursor issue ? Windows cursor always pops up in middle of screen after some time. Annoying. I got used to the models. Created my own char which still looks mediocre but not too weird. A little asian though, but the only somehow visuals I were able to make all had that asian look. ;)
    I don't have any cursor issue on my PC with the game and never heard of anyone complaining about that before you.
    edited April 2017
    FYI the PC patch is available now but the MP will be down for another 30 minutes or so.

The patch is 1.9 GB.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED