Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone still play this; worth starting?

I played this game years ago as a bard and got a few levels but quit after a while as the bard class (other classes too I believe) were mainly broken and had issues.

Was curious, with the new expansion, whats the population like and is it worth playing this from scratch and leveling up? The fact that there are only a handful of posts from this year in these forums worries me and I didn't want to find out its empty and quit after a day.

Was hoping to find something for my 'loot fix' until Star Citizen launches and after being let down by everything from GW2 to ESO.

Thanks

Comments

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875
    I don't play it but I am willing to give it a shot if you want to team up I would be willing to try it. I live in AZ so the times I could play would be around 5pm to about 12am not that long in one sitting lol, but a couple of hours at a time. I also have a vent server we could use. Send me a pm if you are interested.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

If you dont try to get a typical MMO experience out of it, this game is still so much fun to play..

And if you like me are a fan of pre 4th edition D&D it is an absoluth must play...  

The game has a very differnt combow flow from most other games

And character depth is immense...

Graphics are a bit dated, but still very tollerable 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    Hmm im gona install it now and start over again

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Still has a good population.   The stater island can be quite crowd as it's a smaller space.  The numbers are still there once you leave, they're just more spread out.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• TruesightsageTruesightsage Member CommonPosts: 3
    Do yourself a favor and don't bother with this game. It is very poorly developed... I stress 'very'
  • DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I was so traumatized by how god awful this game was when it first came out I don't think I can ever even look at it again

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    I suggest you wait for Kings & Heroes that will be launched next month. It seems to be taking all the best aspects of DDO and mixing them with Diablo random loot and dungeons

• ThedipThedip Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I have tried a number of games, but the only one that I keep returning to is DDO. The game is fun and the classes are not as restricted as in many games. I am currently playing an axe wielding wizard and it is a completely viable build and with a quick mix of rogue can solo a lot of the game or add a fireball or three in a party.

The population of the game is OK and what you find is most people tend to be very helpful. Of course it isn't as pretty as some of the newer games, but it is fun.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Tried it out years ago and even back then it was a p2w game.
  • ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Siug said:
    Tried it out years ago and even back then it was a p2w game.

P2W? What are you smoking. There isn't even any real pvp. What and how are you winning through the cash shop? If you are ftp, you pay for content access or other things you can play without. I used to sub and get everything I needed with much extra free CS money left over, leveled a couple to max level and played all the content without paying for anything but sub. Looks like I won.

About the game, I found it very fun and true to D&D-rules, vibe, etc. It had a rough launch which kept players away, but over years improved much, tons of content. I think many players don't like because of high learning curve (like PnP version can be technical) and it's an actual difficult game to play and succeed, with different difficulty levels. On elite, an undisarmed trap can wipe a party, or just carelessness for that matter. Most gamers don't seem to want challenge, just faceroll easy. The quests are the best in any mmo ive played, hand crafted with traps, secret doors (thieves actually have thief skills/uses besides backstab, puzzles (and things to figure out to complete quests), etc. The classes and play are much like PnP-most of cleric/MU spellsare in game, as well as teamwork to succeed..

The bad- graphics dated (weren't the best to begin with) but doesn't ever bother me with gameplay i like, Most current players are lifers and playing alts, so sometimes they rush through quests since they know most quests by heart (this actually was my thing i didn't like the most as i like to discover and figure things out myself) but if you play with friends that on same lvl of knowledge can play any way you want.  Funner to team up, but if you build toon correctly can solo well with most classes (have npc toons to take on quests, but they can be a bit buggy). Worth a try, as I found it very like D&D and great fun for my time spent. I would get sub though. The content barrier is annoying if not.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    I suggest you wait for Kings & Heroes that will be launched next month. It seems to be taking all the best aspects of DDO and mixing them with Diablo random loot and dungeons
    Seriously?

Kings and Heroes looks like a shallow Diablo clone with nothing but generated dungeons using 4 tilesets.

One of the best things about DDO was the hand-crafted dungeons with a ton of story-related events.
  • TylionTylion Member CommonPosts: 2
    TheKraut said:

I played this game years ago as a bard and got a few levels but quit after a while as the bard class (other classes too I believe) were mainly broken and had issues.

Was curious, with the new expansion, whats the population like and is it worth playing this from scratch and leveling up? The fact that there are only a handful of posts from this year in these forums worries me and I didn't want to find out its empty and quit after a day.

Was hoping to find something for my 'loot fix' until Star Citizen launches and after being let down by everything from GW2 to ESO.

Thanks

Its now 2017 (April) and i went back on to ddo and can say back in the day it was the best game ive every played, still is because there was meaning behind each and every character used and i loved to "Zerg" dungeons but with its massive decline over the years and turbine handing over the servers to someone else there are not many people playing and would say its NOT worth playing anymore

• GoorlotGoorlot Newbie CommonPosts: 34
    edited July 2019
    ropenice said:
    P2W? What are you smoking.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Eberron_Unlimited_Release_Notes
     And VIP you have to pay for, so don't know what you're talking about.