Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Do you prefer PvP? PvE? Both?

Comments

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Windamere said:
    I chose PVE, why because when you make an MMO you want people to stick around...PVE promotes community and working together to accomplish specific goals whether resource gathering or AI Raids....PVP does absolutely nothing but put division and argumentative states into "A GAME" that causes people to eventually leave.
    Latest research shows the opposite: competition actually promotes community, particularly when it is structured competition (i.e. pvp zones, arenas, battlegrounds).

http://quanticfoundry.com/2017/03/23/competition-not-opposite-community/
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Windamere said:
    I chose PVE, why because when you make an MMO you want people to stick around...PVE promotes community and working together to accomplish specific goals whether resource gathering or AI Raids....PVP does absolutely nothing but put division and argumentative states into "A GAME" that causes people to eventually leave.
    Latest research shows the opposite: competition actually promotes community, particularly when it is structured competition (i.e. pvp zones, arenas, battlegrounds).

You're wasting your time...

• pjsung0118pjsung0118 Member CommonPosts: 5
    PvE. Simply because PvP tends to bring out the worst in people, not because of the gameplay.
    Read more at http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/461395/poll-do-you-prefer-pvp-pve-both/p2#9qhCWwRJifqyQ104.99
  • arrowsmith00arrowsmith00 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    A good balance of both is needed but I feel like mostly the pve is a bit more important since thats the basis of most games. @MikeB
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Windamere said:

Firstly that wasn't 'latest research' but a single non scholarly article. Secondly the statistics, which were somewhat simplistic, did not support the statement that 'strong' correlation had been found. Yes they found some correlation in the data, but the author then jumped straight to a conclusion of causation without any analysis. Worthless article really.
  • Eva-01Eva-01 Member UncommonPosts: 69
    PvX  I love fighting for objectives and NPC's.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    Interesting results of the poll so far.  So far, it supports my belief that PVP is not as popular. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Interesting results of the poll so far.  So far, it supports my belief that PVP is not as popular. 
    Yes but that is with regards to a specific type of MMO but if you look at other types of games PvP is very popular . 

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

Strictly PvE

I have zero interest in PvP

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    jircris said:
    PVE, mine is due to a medical condition, my reflexes are no where good enough for pvp or competitive at all. Even some PvE end game stuff is a no go.
    That depends a lot on the game though, some games are really fast while others are way slower.

I don't think I played a turned based PvP MMO but there is no reason why someone can't make one and there you win purely on brain and no reflexes at all.

If it just is reflexes that is the problem then there should be a few slower games that would work for you while some PvE games might be too much as well.
  • Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326
    For those of you who refused to pick a side:

What makes a man turn neutral ... Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?
  • LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    The numbers are always like this, which is still baffling why so many new mmo's are PvP first focused and rarely are there open world, non theme park PvE focused mmo's.  Almost every sandpark mmo over the last ten years has a high, if not first priority, on PvP
  • hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    I think PvP should be left out of MMORPGs. Play mobas, fps shooters, strategy games for your PvP needs.
  • FaunNoeFaunNoe Member UncommonPosts: 56
    PvP is beautiful, to defeat another player brings such happiness...such bliss. I wouldn't play an mmorpg if I couldn't kill another player or be killed(It's fun either way in my experience). If someone wanted  PvE why not just play single player rpgs?  Online PvE = grouped up bots, people fighting monsters alone....

friends who have more time to play the game than you, so when you log in they are fighting monsters you have no chance against or perhaps even in an area you have no access to. In which case you barely if ever see them again or just become a question pig constantly private messaging them what to do when you hit a wall in a quest or whatever. In which case you find new friends and it's rinse and repeat.

I can't see the fun in it. Even when grouped together to take down a difficult programmed monster it is so blah. You beat the monster, another group of people beat the monster, everyone eventually beats the same monster lol. BORING AS HELL. Well anyway, that's just my opinion ya know? Maybe there is some side to PvE that I am blinded to that all the PvE/PvX lovers can see. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    So what PVP MMO are people playing that is any good? Not MOBAs, shooters, etc
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    FaunNoe said:
    PvP is beautiful, to defeat another player brings such happiness...such bliss. I wouldn't play an mmorpg if I couldn't kill another player or be killed(It's fun either way in my experience). If someone wanted  PvE why not just play single player rpgs?  Online PvE = grouped up bots, people fighting monsters alone....

friends who have more time to play the game than you, so when you log in they are fighting monsters you have no chance against or perhaps even in an area you have no access to. In which case you barely if ever see them again or just become a question pig constantly private messaging them what to do when you hit a wall in a quest or whatever. In which case you find new friends and it's rinse and repeat.

I can't see the fun in it. Even when grouped together to take down a difficult programmed monster it is so blah. You beat the monster, another group of people beat the monster, everyone eventually beats the same monster lol. BORING AS HELL. Well anyway, that's just my opinion ya know? Maybe there is some side to PvE that I am blinded to that all the PvE/PvX lovers can see. 
    To me most mmorpg pvp is blah, if I want to fight against worthy opponents,  I play mobas or fps. Most mmo pvp cater to the wolves that are afraids to fight on even playgrounds.
    Azoth said:
    FaunNoe said:

To me most mmorpg pvp is blah, if I want to fight against worthy opponents,  I play mobas or fps. Most mmo pvp cater to the wolves that are afraids to fight on even playgrounds.
    What are considered worthy opponents? What is an even playground? Is it numbers, skill or a combination of both? The thing about being attacked by 5 people in an mmorpg is that you can also attack 5 people back if you bring 4 friends with you....it's really fun stuff. It's just that most people cry that 5 people attacked them and do nothing about it for some strange reason when they have a supposed list of so called friends they play with. I guess they don't back each other up for whatever reason?

If you mean high levels beating on the low levels you can find that in any online competitive game where brackets/tournaments etc. aren't concerned lol.  Mobas aren't really my thing but I played online fps games HEAVILY in my life and must say there is no even playground. Either you are a player or more short on your team which is then an imbalance of numbers or you and other team have the same amount of players but their level of skill/experience is higher. In which case it is not an even playground. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by even playgrounds and worthy opponents. 
    FaunNoe said:
    Azoth said:
    FaunNoe said:

What are considered worthy opponents? What is an even playground? Is it numbers, skill or a combination of both? The thing about being attacked by 5 people in an mmorpg is that you can also attack 5 people back if you bring 4 friends with you....it's really fun stuff. It's just that most people cry that 5 people attacked them and do nothing about it for some strange reason when they have a supposed list of so called friends they play with. I guess they don't back each other up for whatever reason?

If you mean high levels beating on the low levels you can find that in any online competitive game where brackets/tournaments etc. aren't concerned lol.  Mobas aren't really my thing but I played online fps games HEAVILY in my life and must say there is no even playground. Either you are a player or more short on your team which is then an imbalance of numbers or you and other team have the same amount of players but their level of skill/experience is higher. In which case it is not an even playground. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by even playgrounds and worthy opponents. 
    The problem with mmorpg is that you add yet another level of in-balancing possibilities. While mobas and fps are certainly affected by player skills, in most mmorpg you add another layer of artificial bonuses to some players. If there is a vertical progression, be it levels or weapons, you cannot have fair fights.

So do you actually get your fun when fighting 5 vs 5, or just killing that lone pve er with your 4 friends ? What do you not like about Mobas ? They are the truest evolution of challenging pvp.
    Azoth said:
    FaunNoe said:
    Azoth said:
    FaunNoe said:

The problem with mmorpg is that you add yet another level of in-balancing possibilities. While mobas and fps are certainly affected by player skills, in most mmorpg you add another layer of artificial bonuses to some players. If there is a vertical progression, be it levels or weapons, you cannot have fair fights.

So do you actually get your fun when fighting 5 vs 5, or just killing that lone pve er with your 4 friends ? What do you not like about Mobas ? They are the truest evolution of challenging pvp.
    The mix of balance and imbalance is what makes an mmorpg great. I would say it's the closest to reality which is the most fun of all. I've done the whole group vs group pvp, group vs 1 pvp sometimes me being the 1 sometimes being the group. It's all good fun. Fairness vs All really isn't so fun in my opinion. Because of the progression in mmorpgs there will usually/always be low, medium, high and varying grades between and above based on gear, level, etc. As I said in my first post I don't mind being killed, the mere action of killing or being killed by another player is good fun.

When there is someone you can't possibly beat at your current standing. There is someone else who sees you as an impossibility to beat, and there are those who are around your level, gear, etc. that aren't sure if they can beat you or not. That variety of uncertainties and certainties makes it all so great in my opinion. 

I don't dislike mobas but they never hooked me into wanting to continue playing. Had more fun in rts games like starcraft and command and conquer. 
    FaunNoe said:
    Azoth said:
    FaunNoe said:
    Azoth said:
    FaunNoe said:

The mix of balance and imbalance is what makes an mmorpg great. I would say it's the closest to reality which is the most fun of all. I've done the whole group vs group pvp, group vs 1 pvp sometimes me being the 1 sometimes being the group. It's all good fun. Fairness vs All really isn't so fun in my opinion. Because of the progression in mmorpgs there will usually/always be low, medium, high and varying grades between and above based on gear, level, etc. As I said in my first post I don't mind being killed, the mere action of killing or being killed by another player is good fun.

When there is someone you can't possibly beat at your current standing. There is someone else who sees you as an impossibility to beat, and there are those who are around your level, gear, etc. that aren't sure if they can beat you or not. That variety of uncertainties and certainties makes it all so great in my opinion. 

I don't dislike mobas but they never hooked me into wanting to continue playing. Had more fun in rts games like starcraft and command and conquer. 
    It's good that you found something you like. To me getting my ass kicked by someone I cannot touch or kicking the ass of someone that cannot touch me, is no fun at all. The only mmorpg pvp I ever truly enjoyed was UO. The power gap wasn't so bad most of the times. The odd time someone would bring vanquishing weapons out, they could be applauded for having the balls to bring it out of the bank, but even then you could still kick their ass.
  • LogumLogum Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Of course PvP, i think that the PvE is very boring in most mmo and is just a "path" for the pvp.

Some of the reasons for PvE strike me as odd, for example...

"I joined the Peace Corps because I hate what the Military does" or "I'm a Vegetarian because I heard how violent meat eaters are"

Can't you be a Vegetarian because of health reasons? Can't you PvE because you enjoy fighting NPC's? I'm pretty sure if you don't normally play PvP games you probably aren't doing "PvP" correctly. For example, if you find yourself always getting killed by higher level characters or you're always attacking players much lower than yourself... you are not PvPing correctly. 

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

"I joined the Peace Corps because I hate what the Military does" or "I'm a Vegetarian because I heard how violent meat eaters are"

Can't you be a Vegetarian because of health reasons? Can't you PvE because you enjoy fighting NPC's? I'm pretty sure if you don't normally play PvP games you probably aren't doing "PvP" correctly. For example, if you find yourself always getting killed by higher level characters or you're always attacking players much lower than yourself... you are not PvPing correctly. 
    They may not be PvPing correctly but far too many do attack people, at random, that are much lower than themselves, they also attack in overwhelming numbers.

This is why PvE players do not want them in the same game. PvP players happily killing each other is not the issue.

If the game allows it, then it is a design flaw. Not the players fault.

They may not be PvPing correctly but far too many do attack people, at random, that are much lower than themselves, they also attack in overwhelming numbers.

This is why PvE players do not want them in the same game. PvP players happily killing each other is not the issue.
    Yes, you can be attacked at random at anytime in PvP games, that's kind of the whole point. You don't have to worry about dying in PvE MMO's because it's a controlled environment, you know whats going to happen. In PvP MMO's it's not a question if you're going to be killed by another player, it's when. I think if some players understood this they would have much better time than trying to do the whole "going to the Waterpark and not get wet" approach. It's your job to control mitigate encounters with groups of players and high level characters looking for a easy fight. No true PvPer would take pride in rolling or killing a lower character.

What you probably encountered was a PvE player would learned how to excel in a PvP game but didn't learn the art of PvP... thus why he attacks lower level characters. Killing easy lower level things is a PvE trait  :p

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file