Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect Andromeda Isn’t As Bad As You’ve Heard - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

Comments

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Phry said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Forgrimm said:
    You have a very different idea of what a white person is than the rest of the world.

This doesn't look white to you?...

Like I already said in my first post on the topic but moonbats seem intent on ignoring so they can continue to fanboy out, I can see some of the options being close enough to be considered Mediterranean white from places like Spain, Italy or Greece. That is definitely not light enough to be a typical Germanic, Scandinavian, or Irish person.

There is a lot of grey and brown in the that skin tone.

I'll say it again for the "special" people who are struggling with it.

"However I do see the argument, the lightest you can get looks Puerto Rican or Mediterranean. If you want to make someone who looks Irish, Swedish, German, etc. you're out of luck because the skin tones can't go that light. " - me

Moonbats, fanboys, and "special" people...Quite the mature response there. Considering the fact that I've never played any Mass Effect game, I don't think "fanboy" is going to stick. Just pointing out the fact that the blond-haired, blue-eyed, light-skinned guy in the screenshot looks quite Germanic. You seem upset that you can't use a Casper the Ghost skin-tone.
    So much in denial, the fact that you can't choose to be white in the game, its controversial sure, and when tied in with the stories of the writer guy being an anti white racist also, does kind of imply that there was some kind of anti white agenda, though whether it was their own, or they were just pandering to a perceived trend, who knows. O.o
    If there was an anti white agenda wouldn't they have made the default character something other than your typical sun depraved white man ?
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Bloodaxes said:
    He had issues with the costumes delivery.
    Yeah, but he made some interesting comments nonetheless. I'm finishing up Nioh now and trying to decide between this or Horizon ZD for my next game, they both look pretty good in their own way. Not a big fan of dinosaurs or space, but I loved ME:2 and really enjoyed DAI; the role of pathfinder also seems interesting to me.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    YashaX said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    He had issues with the costumes delivery.
    Yeah, but he made some interesting comments nonetheless. I'm finishing up Nioh now and trying to decide between this or Horizon ZD for my next game, they both look pretty good in their own way. Not a big fan of dinosaurs or space, but I loved ME:2 and really enjoyed DAI; the role of pathfinder also seems interesting to me.
    If you like games like far cry, you should enjoy horizon.

Alternatively wait a bit until they release some patches to improve ME:A, and probably price drop.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:
    idk how bad is bad or "what you've heard" but i would give it a 5/10.
    6/10 to me is  barely playable but i will play it,5/10 means it is ok but i won't play it.
    I feel people are way too easy and generous when handing out scores,i guess with limited knowledge i can understand it.It is like asking a soccer player to rate a baseball game.

I look to the main core design aspects,then i decide are any of them good?

graphics?They do nothing for me
    Story..again does nothing for me,cs's are not even done very well,poorly actually.
    combat?Hell no,sub par.
    mapping/layout...boring,does nothing for me.
    peripherals?I saw some,not enough to make up for he rest of the game.

How can you even begin to rate something you haven't played? Do you also rate books you haven't read and movies you haven't watched?

You and many others here just want to get in on the action of discussing a game that's being discussed everywhere without having played a minute of it for fear of being left out of discussing a hot topic. I get that.

But where do you get off giving it a numerical score?

You never fail to amuse.

I often read 3-5 pages chosen randomly, in a book I'm considering getting.  If the author is doing a poor job of writing, I don't buy the book!.   Doesn't require reading the whole thing to make the determination.  

So you feel qualified to assign the book a number from 1-10 after those 3-5 pages and discuss your rating with those who did read the book and base their rating on first-hand knowledge of the whole thing? Good to know. 

I absolutely feel qualified to NOT BUY the product if the sample is sadly deficit.

Now if friends whose tastes I trust tell me that it's worthwhile, I might consider retrying it.  But there's a ton of books, games, movies, etc; and no reason to waste your time and money on lackluster ones.  Even the people who are liking ME:A reveal aspects of the game that pretty much assure me that I'm not going to like it.

People's tastes differ.   And you can certainly like something that is really not done well.  But it is better if you realize it.

But I'm talking about Wizardry giving it a 5/10 without ever playing it.

Got anything to say about rating something that you just sampled on a 1-10 scale and trying to pass that rating off as being valid?

That's what my post that you responded to was about. Not some generic tangent about whether he liked what he has seen enough to buy it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited April 2017
    Phry said:

So much in denial, the fact that you can't choose to be white in the game, its controversial sure, and when tied in with the stories of the writer guy being an anti white racist also, does kind of imply that there was some kind of anti white agenda, though whether it was their own, or they were just pandering to a perceived trend, who knows. O.o
    And there it is, the real reason folks are pushing this narrative, to prove some anti-white conspiracy.... 

Denial lmao.....

For the record there's a lot more to races than skin tones, like bone structure, the way the eyes set, the shape of the nose. The picture of the base Forgrimm posted is very much a white guy, from the way the blond hair sets against his complexion, to his eye shape as well as color both of which his hair and eyes would look out of place on a darker olive skinned individual, to his overall bone structure. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Distopia said:
    Phry said:

And there it is, the real reason folks are pushing this narrative, to prove some anti-white conspiracy.... 

Denial lmao.....
    Pretty funny isn't it ;)

It leaves one to wonder... if in Mass Effect Andromeda's timeline, whether we would be all one color.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Distopia said:

And hence the politically-motivated metabombing 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

laserit said:
    Distopia said:
    Phry said:

Denial lmao.....
    Pretty funny isn't it ;)

It leaves one to wonder... if in Mass Effect Andromeda's timeline, whether we would be all one color.
    It certainly is silly, it's even sillier EA/Bioware took the time to address it, but that's video game companies for you in 2017. 

and many believe rightly or wrongly we're well on our way to that already:). 

laserit said:
    Distopia said:
    Phry said:

Denial lmao.....
    Pretty funny isn't it ;)

We're trying our best in my family to make it so. My gorgeous granddaughter is 1/2 Chinesse, 1/4 hispanic, 1/8 Icelandic and 1/8 French :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    First, from Tech Raptor.
    "Robertson stated that an artist “suggested that there are “sensitivities” within the company about representing women in a certain way.” It is important to note that while there is a PC" (Politically Correct, aka activism) "corporate culture involved in BioWare, it is not one that has been mandated by the staff. Robertson clarified with TechRaptor, noting that meetings between EA and BioWare have taken place regarding their games being more inclusive and diverse. "

Second, pale skin was noticeably absent from the custom character options. No surprise when one of the designers is on twitter attacking "white people" for being white among other things. They also brag about their agenda to push cultural marxism based "intersectionality" into games.

Based on that, one of the lead gameplay designers, Ian Soon Frazier, let drop that they will have to patch in lighter "tones" for the skin.

Third, because of clear PC driven ideology is doing the hires for "management" positions, its no surprise then that those placed in creative positions are picked less for talent or capability, but more for what their identity most likely is. The result is some very piss poor writing and cringeworthy ideology based dictates that effect the game as a whole.

Fourth, again they only used $40 million on this game and still did a ton of outsourcing. This is not the Bioware of old, but just another EA IP thats going to be used and abused till its not worth using anymore. EA is where good studios go to die. This is not hyperbole either, but the literal history of EA, especially in relation to buyouts.

Finally, and this is perhaps the most important part of all of this...
    WHY, is MMORPG.com focusing so much on non mmorpg games? Why go through so much effort to set up, promote and over value this game? What kind of benefits is MMORPG.com getting from EA? Are there "gifts" with those review copies? Why is there a sudden push to focus on non mmorpg games?

ME:A doesn't belong here. Why push it?
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    DataDay said:
    They've been covering non-mmo's for years.
    Forgrimm said:
    DataDay said:
    To this extent? I have been here for years and have only seen it get worse.

ME:A still doesnt belong here, nor do the other non mmorpgs.
    DataDay said:
    First, from Tech Raptor.
    "Robertson stated that an artist “suggested that there are “sensitivities” within the company about representing women in a certain way.” It is important to note that while there is a PC" (Politically Correct, aka activism) "corporate culture involved in BioWare, it is not one that has been mandated by the staff. Robertson clarified with TechRaptor, noting that meetings between EA and BioWare have taken place regarding their games being more inclusive and diverse. "

Second, pale skin was noticeably absent from the custom character options. No surprise when one of the designers is on twitter attacking "white people" for being white among other things. They also brag about their agenda to push cultural marxism based "intersectionality" into games.

Based on that, one of the lead gameplay designers, Ian Soon Frazier, let drop that they will have to patch in lighter "tones" for the skin.

LOL"pale" skin, not white skin.... there's a difference, it's just F'k silly the lengths people are taking this to. So they've gotta patch in nonsense rather than fix actual real problems? Congrats to the chicken littles I guess.... who complain about racial politics and then make a stink about their own trivial "exclusion" I can't be as pale as a ghost, oh noes... If no one knew about what that one employee said, do you really think this would have come up at all?

I have never seen this level of superficial nonsense about a game ever.... 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited April 2017
    DataDay said:
    Forgrimm said:
    DataDay said:

It's sort of a petty argument. There are people here who enjoy role playing games and it makes sense that they want to include them, especially since there isn't a lot of mmorpg news lately.

I know they are going to be putting a lot of more rpg news on their new site at some point. But then what? There are a few indies coming down the pike that may launch. If they do, great, some more news for a little while. And maybe there will be more indies?

No new large mmo's that I can think of other than a few possible Asian titles that might cross the pond. Is that really going to be enough to support a site?

I strongly suspect that some of us will eventually be going to their new site as there won't be an "mmorpg.com" if things don't change.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    DataDay said:
    Forgrimm said:
    DataDay said:

You don't decide what belongs here or doesn't...

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    DataDay said:
    Forgrimm said:
    DataDay said:

When you purchase this website, then you'll get to make that decision. Until then, or until GameSpace is more established, they'll be covering non-mmo's like they have for years.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Distopia said:
    DataDay said:

Forgrimm said:
    DataDay said:
    Forgrimm said:
    DataDay said:

When you purchase this website, then you'll get to make that decision. Until then, or until GameSpace is more established, they'll be covering non-mmo's like they have for years.
    Exactly.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Distopia said:

Maybe you should spend some more time on social media reading what the people who make this kind of garbage product are saying. Would you go and tell them they are being superficial? PC culture is growing at EA and Bioware, there is causality. Quality is the casualty.

I get it though, you have an emotional attachment to the game and must defend it at all cost. Superficial, sure if you want to apply it to all positions, for those for and against the product. Keep in mind, IPs such as ME have existing fan bases, they are marketed and sold as being a continuation of that franchise. Certain expectations exist, and if they are not present, if the product is being messed up worse than a Marvel Comic, yeah some people will take issue with it.

Just as you can defend the product, others can trash it.

This still doesn't detract from the position that this game is constantly being defended and promoted by the staff here. This is simply bizarre behavior that reeks of some kind of EA sponsored or promoted content, which is response to the mass of horrible reviews its being given, aka damage control. Want to write that off as superficial too?

Agree to disagree, but I will still share my opinions and positions, just as you are staunchly lurk here defending something that's... after all,  just a game (superficial?).
    Distopia said:
    Yeah actually I can say what I THINK doesnt belong here. How dare I have a position right? Lets just shut people up and posture like some neogaf moderator on a high horse because they say such things right?

I have been here since 2006, I think can safely have OPINIONS on the direction of where this site has been going. You can ignore it, so can they. No one is saying they have to adhere to every dictate of one user, but gee you certainly seem to come to that conclusion.

What a joke.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    DataDay said:
    Distopia said:

Maybe you should spend some more time on social media reading what the people who make this kind of garbage product are saying. Would you go and tell them they are being superficial? PC culture is growing at EA and Bioware, there is causality. Quality is the casualty.

I get it though, you have an emotional attachment to the game and must defend it at all cost. Superficial, sure if you want to apply it to all positions, for those for and against the product. Keep in mind, IPs such as ME have existing fan bases, they are marketed and sold as being a continuation of that franchise. Certain expectations exist, and if they are not present, if the product is being messed up worse than a Marvel Comic, yeah some people will take issue with it.

This still doesn't detract from the position that this game is constantly being defended and promoted by the staff here. This is simply bizarre behavior that reeks of some kind of EA sponsored or promoted content, which is response to the mass of horrible reviews its being given, aka damage control. Want to write that off as superficial too?

Agree to disagree, but I will still share my opinions and positions, just as you are staunchly lurk here defending something that's... after all,  just a game (superficial?).
    Oh here comes the "sponsored or promoted" content thing again. We always clearly mark sponsored articles. None of these are sponsored in any way shape or form.

But here's a revolutionary thought: How about the staff members who have written positively about the game overall simply like it? That is possible, you know. 

I like MEA quite a bit even with its issues. In my gaming world, I don't give one single rat's ass about what devs or publishers think politically. I am quite capable of making my own determination about what I think is or is not important to my own and my family's well-being. I don't look to games to tell me what I should be thinking and neither should you. If it's offensive, don't play it. It's pretty simple, really.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited April 2017
    DataDay said:
    Distopia said:

Superficial as far as a game's problems go, there not being enough skin tones, is a very superficial complaint.... I can't think of a single other time that that was presented as a problem with a game, which many games have limited hues to choose from. 

I didn't say a word about people trashing the game, that doesn't bother me in the slightest. All i said was such complaints are silly, that's not getting emotional. Outside of finding it humorous.

As far as emotional attachment goes, I'm not the one going to absurd lengths to find the most inane issues to complain about. Nor am I attached to the ME franchise in any way, I only like this one because it stepped out of the corridor based, led by your nose approach of the earlier entries. 

So carry on pretending that sharing thoughts in an active discussion means someone is "emotionally attached". That's as absurd as the complaints you're pushing...

edited April 2017
    DataDay said:
    Distopia said:
    Yeah actually I can say what I THINK doesnt belong here. How dare I have a position right? Lets just shut people up and posture like some neogaf moderator on a high horse because they say such things right?

I have been here since 2006, I think can safely have OPINIONS on the direction of where this site has been going. You can ignore it, so can they. No one is saying they have to adhere to every dictate of one user, but gee you certainly seem to come to that conclusion.

What a joke.
    You can say what you want, I didn't say don't say that, I said you don't decide that. I've been here since 05 what the hell does that do for me? It certainly doesn't give me control of their content.

Meanwhile back on my second playthrough (as melee this time using MikeB's build) still having a blast going between SP and multiplayer MEA.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:
    6/10 to me is  barely playable but i will play it,5/10 means it is ok but i won't play it.
    I feel people are way too easy and generous when handing out scores,i guess with limited knowledge i can understand it.It is like asking a soccer player to rate a baseball game.

Story..again does nothing for me,cs's are not even done very well,poorly actually.
    combat?Hell no,sub par.

How can you even begin to rate something you haven't played? Do you also rate books you haven't read and movies you haven't watched?

You and many others here just want to get in on the action of discussing a game that's being discussed everywhere without having played a minute of it for fear of being left out of discussing a hot topic. I get that.

You never fail to amuse.

I often read 3-5 pages chosen randomly, in a book I'm considering getting.  If the author is doing a poor job of writing, I don't buy the book!.   Doesn't require reading the whole thing to make the determination.  

So you feel qualified to assign the book a number from 1-10 after those 3-5 pages and discuss your rating with those who did read the book and base their rating on first-hand knowledge of the whole thing? Good to know. 

I absolutely feel qualified to NOT BUY the product if the sample is sadly deficit.

Now if friends whose tastes I trust tell me that it's worthwhile, I might consider retrying it.  But there's a ton of books, games, movies, etc; and no reason to waste your time and money on lackluster ones.  Even the people who are liking ME:A reveal aspects of the game that pretty much assure me that I'm not going to like it.

People's tastes differ.   And you can certainly like something that is really not done well.  But it is better if you realize it.

Got anything to say about rating something that you just sampled on a 1-10 scale and trying to pass that rating off as being valid?

That's what my post that you responded to was about. Not some generic tangent about whether he liked what he has seen enough to buy it.

Number grading is for the TLDR crowd.   You might like a game for what it does, and it could be the exact same thing that makes me dislike it.  Numbers won't tell you. 

So, agreed that the 5/10 ranking is bogus.  But all those numbers are bogus to me.  

I can tell by looking at the available material that my wallet is not opening for the ME:A.  Don't think it's worth it.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:

combat?Hell no,sub par.

You never fail to amuse.

Number grading is for the TLDR crowd.   You might like a game for what it does, and it could be the exact same thing that makes me dislike it.  Numbers won't tell you. 

So, agreed that the 5/10 ranking is bogus.  But all those numbers are bogus to me.  

I can tell by looking at the available material that my wallet is not opening for the ME:A.  Don't think it's worth it.

The bogus part is not the number, it's the fact that someone that never played the game feel that he can give a number at all.