Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV - Palace of the Dead - Why Everyone Must Try to Hit Floor 200 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageFinal Fantasy XIV - Palace of the Dead - Why Everyone Must Try to Hit Floor 200 - MMORPG.com

In my first column for MMORPG.com, I wrote about Palace of the Dead, FFXIV’s diablo-style randomly generated dungeon. In it, I praised its revolutionary mechanics and how it gave almost everybody something to do. Now, over half a year later, I’m returning to the Palace, despite there being no real updates or movement to the content.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Palace of the Dead was a proof of concept that I thought no 3rd person MMO would do, but I knew would be successful. Start turning dungeons into procedurally generated dungeons so they don't ever get old. Even put bosses in different orders so as to combat repetition fatigue.

I loved Palace of the Dead but overall I am burned out on the game thanks to Roulettes, lack of finding a nice guild, and just becoming bored with the same old tried and true MMO formula. Good game overall, but just tired of "good". I want "great" again. Its been a couple years and its about time for another AAA MMO to emerge from the shadows and ride the hype train yet again. For me, Pantheon is looking like that game, too bad it's years out from release.

In the meantime, I'll still keep up to date on FFXIV and perhaps sub for a month or two here and there, but overall, sadly, this game has lost its luster and is overdue to be put out of its misery. At least in my gaming world it is. I'm ready for the next new big thing.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Wow, that just sounds awful. AOE that instakills you? Bro, talk about lack of creativity. DUDES, lets just throw in something that will instakill them all. That'll teach 'em.... uh.... ok. No surprise no one does it. Use a little bit of common sense.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Golelorn said:
    Wow, that just sounds awful. AOE that instakills you? Bro, talk about lack of creativity. DUDES, lets just throw in something that will instakill them all. That'll teach 'em.... uh.... ok. No surprise no one does it. Use a little bit of common sense.
    There are early level dungeons that have AOEs that will kill someone unsynced (max level, and dungeon not scaled up) in max tank gear (they're are actual damage so maybe after the expansion someone will be able to take that hit).  

There are mid level dungeons (mid 30s out of 60 levels) where killing default mobs before boss rooms in the wrong order can end with the tank getting their health halved.   Where the first boss casts doom, which will kill you if you don't know how to clear it (walking to a pad).    And the final boss summons AOE/beam monstrocities add mobs, where if you don't purposefully walk into a debuff zone that add will spend time behind a invulnerability shield.

Prisons/similar are a used mechanic (sometimes even taking out the healer or a tank).  In larger parties tank swapping tanks to prevent X from happening aren't unheard of.   Even slightly changing the expected rules isn't unheard of (IE:  getting marked normaly you need to run away from the party but in X fight you need to run towards to get a prison killed,  or chains that are broken different ways in different fights).

________

Insta kill, permanently messing/slowing/difficulting up a fight with a mistake, and similar...  Are something that is taught at early levels in the game.   And pretty much expected in the game.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    I enjoyed reading this. I do not play, but if I am understanding this correctly if you die on floor 199 you will drop to floor 101?
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Golelorn said:
    That's how they design a lot of their endgame content. One shot AOE's
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    To each their own in a sense of accomplishment I suppose. For me, since Primal is a meh data center compared to Aether, getting the Raigo mount filled me with a good feeling of accomplishment, since I dont like how pvp is in XIV.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Golelorn said:

It's an incredibly popular feature that's always full, with near instant queues. The only thing that isn't done as much is 100-200 due to it needing a pre-made group.

That said, mechanics tend to be the real deal in the game. If you ignore them, you wipe. Horribly. You either learn and get good, or you go back to a game that lets you stand in fire for five minutes and ignore mechanics.

Of all the floors, floor 50 tends to be the one where people wipe the most due to the AoEs and Cold Feet mechanics. The AoEs aren't one shots, but they can hurt and cover massive areas. Though the real threat is Cold Feet in that you have to face the other way while it's being casted. Get hit by a few of those, and the group wipes. But that's a relatively old mechanic in Deep Dungeons, as floor 50 was released when the system was implemented.

Nowadays most don't wipe on floor 50, unless they're all new players. The game is quite punishing fairly early, so people adapt and become better players over time rather than having their hands held through all levels until they get to a difficulty that allows them to, again, avoid mechancis. Or they wipe until they actually learn that this game makes you learn mechanics and that 90% of the time, gear doesn't matter if you don't follow mechanics (especially with level syncs). Unless you're talking about the recent fight where you can skip a phase with a bunch of overgeared players.

It can be difficult, yes. Especially if you play a class that has a 50 button rotation without any addons to help, while trying to watch out for area mechanics, boss mechanics, team mechanics, etc. In addition to worrying about comboing your combos, and how effective each move within said combo is versus the front, side and back of mobs to maximize your damage. Threat modifier combos, buff combos, damage combos, DoT combos, debuff combos... Though classes in general have different difficulties. All the while avoiding mechanics and AoEs and sometimes figuring out little puzzles that are easy to remember once you know them.

But by the time people actually get to max level, they're adept at such things. The game literally throws you to the dogs as you level up, in a lot of ways. In the end, I'm happy to join PuGs simply because I know they were forged by trial by fire and can handle most things, especially if it pertains to their class. There are the few odd cases, but they are a rarity. A Ninja might not know how to effectively perform their mini-game hand symbols mid-battle and be only half effective since they are losing out on 20% of their speed and DPS. Or they might delegate it to a macro, making them lose out on 3 seconds due to it being faster to input it manually. A monk might get lazy and only attack from one side, instead of constantly moving and attacking all fronts for that additional 10-15% DPS bonus.

Is it good design to expect people to do mechanics properly or expect them not to stand in the fire? Maybe not. They'd probably get even more people to come if they made it so mechanics were irrelevant and they changed the combat system -- and the rotations -- to something akin to button mashing. Though it is why a lot of former WoW players came to FFXIV in the first place -- to avoid just staring at the screen and mashing buttons without having to move or worry about complex rotations and bosses without the help of addons telling them to "run away, little girl" or when to press what.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • AlieniconAlienicon Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Been playing the game for 2 months now. Unsubbing. Just wasn't for me. Seems there are more FCs than people. It's rare I ever see the same FC name twice. I can't get any savage groups because I don't know the fights (go figure). I did potd a ton from 50-100 just to level jobs and test out each class. I even paid to transfer to a populated server. I just do not see it as a new player friendly game. Unless you know some folks who have been in it awhile and they can help you along. I'm retired now and look to have fun, but lately it's been a chore to try to progress. Maybe it's just Cactuar. I'll probably try ESO now.
  • VivianeDevillersVivianeDevillers Member UncommonPosts: 8
    edited April 2017

Golelorn said:

It's an incredibly popular feature that's always full, with near instant queues. The only thing that isn't done as much is 100-200 due to it needing a pre-made group.

That said, mechanics tend to be the real deal in the game. If you ignore them, you wipe. Horribly. You either learn and get good, or you go back to a game that lets you stand in fire for five minutes and ignore mechanics.

Of all the floors, floor 50 tends to be the one where people wipe the most due to the AoEs and Cold Feet mechanics. The AoEs aren't one shots, but they can hurt and cover massive areas. Though the real threat is Cold Feet in that you have to face the other way while it's being casted. Get hit by a few of those, and the group wipes. But that's a relatively old mechanic in Deep Dungeons, as floor 50 was released when the system was implemented.

Nowadays most don't wipe on floor 50, unless they're all new players. The game is quite punishing fairly early, so people adapt and become better players over time rather than having their hands held through all levels until they get to a difficulty that allows them to, again, avoid mechancis. Or they wipe until they actually learn that this game makes you learn mechanics and that 90% of the time, gear doesn't matter if you don't follow mechanics (especially with level syncs). Unless you're talking about the recent fight where you can skip a phase with a bunch of overgeared players.

It can be difficult, yes. Especially if you play a class that has a 50 button rotation without any addons to help, while trying to watch out for area mechanics, boss mechanics, team mechanics, etc. In addition to worrying about comboing your combos, and how effective each move within said combo is versus the front, side and back of mobs to maximize your damage. Threat modifier combos, buff combos, damage combos, DoT combos, debuff combos... Though classes in general have different difficulties. All the while avoiding mechanics and AoEs and sometimes figuring out little puzzles that are easy to remember once you know them.

But by the time people actually get to max level, they're adept at such things. The game literally throws you to the dogs as you level up, in a lot of ways. In the end, I'm happy to join PuGs simply because I know they were forged by trial by fire and can handle most things, especially if it pertains to their class. There are the few odd cases, but they are a rarity. A Ninja might not know how to effectively perform their mini-game hand symbols mid-battle and be only half effective since they are losing out on 20% of their speed and DPS. Or they might delegate it to a macro, making them lose out on 3 seconds due to it being faster to input it manually. A monk might get lazy and only attack from one side, instead of constantly moving and attacking all fronts for that additional 10-15% DPS bonus.

Is it good design to expect people to do mechanics properly or expect them not to stand in the fire? Maybe not. They'd probably get even more people to come if they made it so mechanics were irrelevant and they changed the combat system -- and the rotations -- to something akin to button mashing. Though it is why a lot of former WoW players came to FFXIV in the first place -- to avoid just staring at the screen and mashing buttons without having to move or worry about complex rotations and bosses without the help of addons telling them to "run away, little girl" or when to press what.

fanboy detected... ff14 got the most narcissistic fanbase ever