Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect Andromeda Isn’t As Bad As You’ve Heard - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Forgrimm said:
    You have a very different idea of what a white person is than the rest of the world.

This doesn't look white to you?...

It sure does to me.

I think what they're bitching about is that they can't make this guy:

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ziabatsuziabatsu Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Anyone with eyes who can watch YouTube videos will tell you; this game looks like anus.
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    ziabatsu said:
    Anyone with eyes who can watch YouTube videos will tell you; this game looks like anus.
    Who's anus ? Cause I've happily licked some in my life. So I am not sure if you are praising the game or not there ...
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    To be honest I haven't read/seen many reviews that say the game is "bad". The main criticism levelled against it is the facial animations are wonky and the female characters look like shit.

Bioware really dropped the ball in that respect because appearances are important; those negatives are so egregiously bad and in your face that a wave of bad reviews was pretty much guaranteed. Those particular points are so bad in fact that even youtubers that don't usually do game commentaries are posting about it. Its like they sabotaged their own game.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Forgrimm said:
    You have a very different idea of what a white person is than the rest of the world.

Like I already said in my first post on the topic but moonbats seem intent on ignoring so they can continue to fanboy out, I can see some of the options being close enough to be considered Mediterranean white from places like Spain, Italy or Greece. That is definitely not light enough to be a typical Germanic, Scandinavian, or Irish person.

There is a lot of grey and brown in the that skin tone.

I'll say it again for the "special" people who are struggling with it.

"However I do see the argument, the lightest you can get looks Puerto Rican or Mediterranean. If you want to make someone who looks Irish, Swedish, German, etc. you're out of luck because the skin tones can't go that light. " - me

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    You're right, it's worse. The feminazi agenda is just icing on the cake. How on earth can you hire the equivalent of 12 year olds to do all of the design on the game? Seriously.
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Like I already said in my first post on the topic but moonbats seem intent on ignoring so they can continue to fanboy out, I can see some of the options being close enough to be considered Mediterranean white from places like Spain, Italy or Greece. That is definitely not light enough to be a typical Germanic, Scandinavian, or Irish person.

"However I do see the argument, the lightest you can get looks Puerto Rican or Mediterranean. If you want to make someone who looks Irish, Swedish, German, etc. you're out of luck because the skin tones can't go that light. " - me

So now disagreeing with a thought is fanboying out? Declarations like that do no one any good, as no one was fanboying in that exchange, simply disagreeing with your opinion. Name calling doesn't make you right....

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited April 2017
    I've probably had more entertainment watching people argue or complain about this game than I did with the game itself. So many things were just plain awful that playing through it was a comedy in itself and totally worth the time investment.

Though the core game in itself is still functional. It still has a story and some okay gameplay. Not irredeemably horrendous like some would like you to believe, at least in my opinion. But I think they rushed it out the door a bit early.

To give it a bit of critique in what I laughed at the most was mainly the facial expressions, writing and acting. Might as well just put a stick figure in place of some characters, and I'd probably feel more attached to them and immersed. There were almost no portions in the game that had me on the edge of my seat, or committed or immersed into the game or the world. In fact, all that came to mind was noting one missed opportunity after the next as I played through. Or poorly implemented things or themes.

As for the content itself or any perceived messages, I couldn't care less. Different universe, with characters that are supposed to have differing opinions and conflict. What I do care about is how odd and out of place some of it felt due to writing or poorly executed transitions... or conveying emotion through sight and sound -- the whole game just lacked heart in that department. Though that's just my opinion as someone that values story and interaction and such.

If asked what I thought of it in a short answer... I'd say that it "Felt like a game." Whereas past experiences with the series -- and other games in general -- that I felt were done well would be, "It felt like an experience."
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:
    idk how bad is bad or "what you've heard" but i would give it a 5/10.
    6/10 to me is  barely playable but i will play it,5/10 means it is ok but i won't play it.
    I feel people are way too easy and generous when handing out scores,i guess with limited knowledge i can understand it.It is like asking a soccer player to rate a baseball game.

I look to the main core design aspects,then i decide are any of them good?

graphics?They do nothing for me
    Story..again does nothing for me,cs's are not even done very well,poorly actually.
    combat?Hell no,sub par.
    mapping/layout...boring,does nothing for me.
    peripherals?I saw some,not enough to make up for he rest of the game.

How can you even begin to rate something you haven't played? Do you also rate books you haven't read and movies you haven't watched?

You and many others here just want to get in on the action of discussing a game that's being discussed everywhere without having played a minute of it for fear of being left out of discussing a hot topic. I get that.

But where do you get off giving it a numerical score?

You never fail to amuse.

I often read 3-5 pages chosen randomly, in a book I'm considering getting.  If the author is doing a poor job of writing, I don't buy the book!.   Doesn't require reading the whole thing to make the determination.  

Me, I gave up on Bioware after DA:O and ME2.   Nothing I have seen about ME:A has convinced me they suddenly got better.  It looks to have poor writing and character presentation.  Bad UI and messed up animations.   But decent combat.  Strictly going on reviews and video snippets.   Not going to buy the game on the chance it might be different and better, when there are enough examples of MEAndromeda  not delivering.

Different strokes for other folks of course:  Some really liked DA2 or Oblivion.  Don't understand it, but it's the nature of the beasts.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Every person can listen to the "chicken littles" of the world crying in pain like little douchebags, but unless you actually play, you'll never really know what you're missing with ME:A. Yup, there are issues with animations (if this really bothers you) and the story writing might not be above average, but this game has so much more interesting and fun things to see and do that it more than makes up for a couple shortcomings that mature gamers should be able to look past.
    I have not played the other ME games at all, but thank god for that apparently as I went in with no preconceived notions and haven't been disappointed...
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Trand said:

This game is Dragon Age: Inquisition in space, But I loved that game and I am really enjoying Andromeda.

My biggest complaint is the animations, yes you get used to them, but it should not have launched like this.

Otherwise great game.

"Great game, apart from the many bugs and very poor animations."

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Distopia said:

So now disagreeing with a thought is fanboying out? Declarations like that do no one any good, as no one was fanboying in that exchange, simply disagreeing with your opinion. Name calling doesn't make you right....

When even Bioware agrees that you can't make a northern European skin tone because all of their scanned heads were of dark skinned people, and you continue trying to deny it anyway, it's fanboying.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Forgrimm said:

Moonbats, fanboys, and "special" people...Quite the mature response there. Considering the fact that I've never played any Mass Effect game, I don't think "fanboy" is going to stick. Just pointing out the fact that the blond-haired, blue-eyed, light-skinned guy in the screenshot looks quite Germanic. You seem upset that you can't use a Casper the Ghost skin-tone.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited April 2017
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:
    6/10 to me is  barely playable but i will play it,5/10 means it is ok but i won't play it.
    I feel people are way too easy and generous when handing out scores,i guess with limited knowledge i can understand it.It is like asking a soccer player to rate a baseball game.

Story..again does nothing for me,cs's are not even done very well,poorly actually.
    combat?Hell no,sub par.

How can you even begin to rate something you haven't played? Do you also rate books you haven't read and movies you haven't watched?

You and many others here just want to get in on the action of discussing a game that's being discussed everywhere without having played a minute of it for fear of being left out of discussing a hot topic. I get that.

You never fail to amuse.

I often read 3-5 pages chosen randomly, in a book I'm considering getting.  If the author is doing a poor job of writing, I don't buy the book!.   Doesn't require reading the whole thing to make the determination.  

So you feel qualified to assign the book a number from 1-10 after those 3-5 pages and discuss your rating with those who did read the book and base their rating on first-hand knowledge of the whole thing? Good to know. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    ME:A IS as bad as you have heard. Only the most ardent fanboys seem to defend the game at this point. Worst part is, EA will not issue refunds.
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    Muke said:

Trand said:

This game is Dragon Age: Inquisition in space, But I loved that game and I am really enjoying Andromeda.

My biggest complaint is the animations, yes you get used to them, but it should not have launched like this.

Otherwise great game.

"Great game, apart from the many bugs and very poor animations."
    What platform are you playing on? Not that I doubt you  since multi platform games would have different bugs. But I  have to ask because in my pc play through I played 81 hrs with a 91% completion I only had one bug and that was  helmet  type bug where I could not unequip it. A reload to a previous save fixed it for me.
    edited April 2017
    DataDay said:
    ME:A IS as bad as you have heard. Only the most ardent fanboys seem to defend the game at this point. 
    Who would think only fans like something.... hmmm that's a real head scratcher there. 
    Post edited by Distopia on

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Distopia said:
    DataDay said:
    ME:A IS as bad as you have heard. Only the most ardent fanboys seem to defend the game at this point. 
    Who wold think only fans like something.... hmmm that's a real head scratcher there. 
    You got "only fans" from "ardent fanboys seem"? Whatever floats your boat. Using my significant other as an example,  half of their wardrobe is made up of bioware licensed clothes... and by that I mean Mass Effect themed. If its Mass Effect, they want it.

When it comes to ME:A, they couldn't even get a refund they hate the game so bad. So no, its not "only fans", but there are those whose bias will not allow them to see the flaming pile of garbage ME:A is. The writing, the bugs, the animation, the over all design... its so piss poor its not even funny. In fact they let one of Bioware's worst performing studios take on the task of developing it, which on top of that those poor performers even outsourced the work.

The product is objectively BAD. The writing is objectively bad. The history of the development of this product is bad. Marketing at EA promoted a different game than what people bought. They only put $40 million into developing this game, and it shows. Typical EA behavior.

So yeah, its going to require some special kind of pathology to think ME:A is "not bad".
    edited April 2017
    DataDay said:
    Distopia said:
    DataDay said:
    Who wold think only fans like something.... hmmm that's a real head scratcher there. 
    You got "only fans" from "ardent fanboys seem"? Whatever floats your boat. Using my significant other as an example,  half of their wardrobe is made up of bioware licensed clothes... and by that I mean Mass Effect themed. If its Mass Effect, they want it.

When it comes to ME:A, they couldn't even get a refund they hate the game so bad. So no, its not "only fans", but there are those whose bias will not allow them to see the flaming pile of garbage ME:A is. The writing, the bugs, the animation, the over all design... its so piss poor its not even funny. In fact they let one of Bioware's worst performing studios take on the task of developing it, which on top of that those poor performers even outsourced the work.

The product is objectively BAD. The writing is objectively bad. The history of the development of this product is bad. Marketing at EA promoted a different game than what people bought. They only put $40 million into developing this game, and it shows. Typical EA behavior.

So yeah, its going to require some special kind of pathology to think ME:A is "not bad".
    If that's how you feel about it that's how you feel, I'm not here to change your mind. 

I guess I like an "objectively" bad game... /shrugs....

BTW I was referring to ME:A fans, not ME fans...
    Post edited by Distopia on

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:

combat?Hell no,sub par.

You never fail to amuse.

So you feel qualified to assign the book a number from 1-10 after those 3-5 pages and discuss your rating with those who did read the book and base their rating on first-hand knowledge of the whole thing? Good to know. 

I absolutely feel qualified to NOT BUY the product if the sample is sadly deficit.

Now if friends whose tastes I trust tell me that it's worthwhile, I might consider retrying it.  But there's a ton of books, games, movies, etc; and no reason to waste your time and money on lackluster ones.  Even the people who are liking ME:A reveal aspects of the game that pretty much assure me that I'm not going to like it.

People's tastes differ.   And you can certainly like something that is really not done well.  But it is better if you realize it.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Forgrimm said:
    Forgrimm said:

Moonbats, fanboys, and "special" people...Quite the mature response there. Considering the fact that I've never played any Mass Effect game, I don't think "fanboy" is going to stick. Just pointing out the fact that the blond-haired, blue-eyed, light-skinned guy in the screenshot looks quite Germanic. You seem upset that you can't use a Casper the Ghost skin-tone.
    So much in denial, the fact that you can't choose to be white in the game, its controversial sure, and when tied in with the stories of the writer guy being an anti white racist also, does kind of imply that there was some kind of anti white agenda, though whether it was their own, or they were just pandering to a perceived trend, who knows. O.o
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Angry Joe's review is pretty reasonable; unfortunately its not as fun as his usual reviews:

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    He had issues with the costumes delivery.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Phry said:
    So much in denial, the fact that you can't choose to be white in the game.
    You mean the "fact" that's been proven to be a non-fact already many times? See Fritz below. 

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Must be pretty bad, they seem to be ramping up the commercials.