Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Writer's Paradox a Columns at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageA Writer's Paradox a Columns at MMORPG.com

This week Tim Eisen writes about writing about MMORPG’s so…like, don’t click this if you want to read about MMORPG’s…which is kind of odd on a site where you go to read about MMORPG’s but whatever I, I guess…

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    The main mmorpg.com page was just down for a bit. Only the forum page was working.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I know you're a fan of Black Mirror (as am I) and you've alluded to the Nosedive episode a couple of times. I loved that one too! It's an episode that should be included in school curriculum :)

As to your qualifications to critique games, that's simple: if you have passion for the games and the genre, you're qualified. Having the ability to communicate that passion is a bonus...

...and as Rock Paper Shotgun has shown, numerical scores are optional. I actually enjoy their reviews that much more because they don't use numbers.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I want to see the passion showing up in game design.
    I don't want devs spending millions on marketing,spend that on the game is what i want.

I want a legit person to sit down and discuss the game design live with the developer and not just kiss each others ass to make money.You can ask tough questions of criticize without causing anger.
    But devs don't want that,they are NOT serious about their work,only serious about their approach to marketing their games.

So yeah i'd like to see the passion show up instead of the business.IMO if you are so handcuffed by the business end of design that your game cannot flourish,i don't want it.

I can think of ANY trade outside of gaming and it is a whole different world.If i offer to frame someone's house,no marketing or websites or you tuber's will save BAD work.The customer will not come up and say "oh your Indie,ok fair enough,here is your money".
    The customer will not say "oh your in early access framing,np i can wait forever,oh btw did we have a contract?".Oh no worries ,let's rip up the contract,i'll just live under the leaky roof until you can finish your work properly.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited March 2017
    The intro into your story was priceless, don't click this if you want to read about MMOS.....

Following that advice I'd not get to click on anything here....

Its OK, I'm getting used to not reading about MMOs on this site, pretty much status quo.

As for the challenges you face as a writer or critic, keep this one key thing in mind...

Yours is the only opinion that ever really matters, let the unwashed masses eat their cake... B)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Point being that game studios are HIDING.
    Hiding behind copyright laws and NDA's,hiding behind TOS,lawyers document's and hiding behind collaborative marketing and advertising.NOTHING is transparent ,even when using OUR money there is little transparency.
    So ask yourself why?Well because hiding behind all those walls allows them to sell us subpar work,that is NOT accepted anywhere else in the world except the game industry.

Passion is like Zuckerberg or John Carmack or Tim Sweeney,NOT these giant industry businesses that do more lobbying than game design.You will know passionate developers from typical show up to work businesses because they will stand out.
    A typical example,99% of the studios are just tossing together some npc's with a yellow marker over their head and triggering a quest to them. and repeat it over and over..LAZY design,BUSINESS like design and NOT passion.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I wouldn't be nearly so upset with numeric scores if people would start using real and imaginary numbers instead of the integers and imaginary numbers they use.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2017

TimEisen said:

Iselin said:

I know you're a fan of Black Mirror (as am I) and you've alluded to the Nosedive episode a couple of times. I loved that one too! It's an episode that should be included in school curriculum :)

As to your qualifications to critique games, that's simple: if you have passion for the games and the genre, you're qualified. Having the ability to communicate that passion is a bonus...

...and as Rock Paper Shotgun has shown, numerical scores are optional. I actually enjoy their reviews that much more because they don't use numbers.

I...you...(stands up and begins to applaud). On an overcast day you just handed me an umbrella, thank you.

Also, good idea, it should be in school curriculum along with a class on how to protect yourself from marketing and propaganda.

Unfortunately, at this point, we're closer to having a class fully dedicated to indoctrinating our children into the world of marketing and propaganda than a class preparing them to see through such matters. It's a sad state.

However, your article is excellent. Always enjoy not only reading your articles but seeing your follow up responses to critiques of and commentary on your articles.

Also, I just wanna take the wind outta the troll sails by being the first to (jokingly) say this:

WTF? I come here to read articles about MMORPGs, not this shit! Tim, you must've been paid to write that article!! SHILL!

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    that pic from swg get me everytim. man i misss swg
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444

Iselin said:

Why it gotta be black? Hmm?
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    long story short of a reply that would have been too long: Timothy, my hero =P
    JamesGoblin