Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta Review - It's Rough, But There's Potential - Revelation Online Review - MMORPG.com

Comments

• kyphoriakyphoria Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I wanted to really like this game as well. For me there was just far too much thrown at you to start with and no explanation to the various currencies, systems and crafting which from what i have been told is supposed to actually be relevant.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited March 2017
    I'd give this game 3/10 and even then I'm being generous.
    I think thats even a little high....After I got my 10th level for not doing a single thing I was done...jsut an awful game.....How these games make a dime is beyond me....people say how awful grinding games are but to me this is worse. Giving levels for absolutely no reason is ridiculous.
  • hycxhycx Member UncommonPosts: 12
    The fact that the game still has no invert mouse (y-axis) is crazy. I installed it... opened settings and it was nowhere to be found. I'm not going to try changing my gaming habits because of one game, and a horribly localized one at that.
  • ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283
    yup potential to drain your wallet, its fun <50 but when u sit back and look at the whole picture after level 50, you begin to realised even if u grinding till your fingers bleed it's not enough, you need to throw money into the game too.
  • valoizvaloiz Member UncommonPosts: 52

Aori said:

Your Score is wonky. Fun starting at high level is definitely not a pro. This for me is a massive con. I also don't view extensive daily quests as a pro either but that be subjective.

Either way the initial starting experience is pure trash and is no way overwhelming, it is underwhelming. The UI is also the most cluttered crap I've seen in awhile.

Was overwhelming for me too, thats subjective
  • truewarlordtruewarlord Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Revelation Online is in my opinion the best free to play MMO in the market right now. It has a huge amount of features:

A very solid combat system; a beautiful and huge OPEN world with events and lots of stuff to do; a robust craft system (puts B&S in the ground); housing; guilds matter (hello GW2, shame on you); aptitude system (less you play in a day more XP you will get making it easy to people that don't have all day to play); intimacy system that open funny interaction options for people that you do stuff together; you can transfers refinements in your current gear to the next gear you will get, even the gems, you never lose the improvements you put in your gear; robust PvE and PvP options; Massive PvP with hundreds of persons fighting together (sometimes more than 500 players fighting) and the game performs VERY WELL ; Dungeons in GOD MODE are very hard to do, you realy need to learn the mechanics; and the godamm list goes on with a huge amount of features.

I totally can see someone not liking the chinese theme, but to say RO is a 3/10? Seriously? No way.

And what is your argument? "HODOR THE GAME IS TRASH HODOOORR"... Sorry it is not an argument... Put it against the MMO you're correct playing, let's compare the features, i challenge you to put Revelation Online against ANY free to play MMO in the western market, none will be better... Blade & Soul only has a "good" combat system, everything else in the game, including the limited world is a shame. GW2 was good till i get my fourth character in the lvl cap full ascended, the game is just too casual and easy. Archeage is a solid game, i wast 4 years of my life there, but enough is enough, that game will never improve and i'm tired of doing the same thing again and again everyday forever.

A lot of great guilds are quitting their old games and coming to Revelation online, and there is a good reason for that. It is a SOLID game with SOLID features and long terms progression.

But you guys are probably right, Revelation Online is "trash" just because you want it to be, there is no need to justify your opinion in a "discussion forum... "Buah buahh it is my opinion don't ask me questions".

I give Revelation online a 8/10, but i take this 7/10 as fair enough.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    It is a true POS in the MMO world.  I think a room full of monkeys would code a better game.
  • huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Aori said:

Your Score is wonky. Fun starting at high level is definitely not a pro. This for me is a massive con. I also don't view extensive daily quests as a pro either but that be subjective.

Either way the initial starting experience is pure trash and is no way overwhelming, it is underwhelming. The UI is also the most cluttered crap I've seen in awhile.

Man lay off with the negativity. This game is good and worth checking out even in the beta state of playing this game. I have played to level 14 and had liked what I have seen so far from RO. Anybody wanting to check this game out should give it a whirl.

Edgar F Greenwood

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Revelation Online is in my opinion the best free to play MMO in the market right now. It has a huge amount of features:

A very solid combat system; a beautiful and huge OPEN world with events and lots of stuff to do; a robust craft system (puts B&S in the ground); housing; guilds matter (hello GW2, shame on you); aptitude system (less you play in a day more XP you will get making it easy to people that don't have all day to play); intimacy system that open funny interaction options for people that you do stuff together; you can transfers refinements in your current gear to the next gear you will get, even the gems, you never lose the improvements you put in your gear; robust PvE and PvP options; Massive PvP with hundreds of persons fighting together (sometimes more than 500 players fighting) and the game performs VERY WELL ; Dungeons in GOD MODE are very hard to do, you realy need to learn the mechanics; and the godamm list goes on with a huge amount of features.

I totally can see someone not liking the chinese theme, but to say RO is a 3/10? Seriously? No way.

And what is your argument? "HODOR THE GAME IS TRASH HODOOORR"... Sorry it is not an argument... Put it against the MMO you're correct playing, let's compare the features, i challenge you to put Revelation Online against ANY free to play MMO in the western market, none will be better... Blade & Soul only has a "good" combat system, everything else in the game, including the limited world is a shame. GW2 was good till i get my fourth character in the lvl cap full ascended, the game is just too casual and easy. Archeage is a solid game, i wast 4 years of my life there, but enough is enough, that game will never improve and i'm tired of doing the same thing again and again everyday forever.

A lot of great guilds are quitting their old games and coming to Revelation online, and there is a good reason for that. It is a SOLID game with SOLID features and long terms progression.

But you guys are probably right, Revelation Online is "trash" just because you want it to be, there is no need to justify your opinion in a "discussion forum... "Buah buahh it is my opinion don't ask me questions".

Your experience and view on RO is almost totally unique compared to almost every other poster on this forum.

I can't quite figure out why unless a player really has to shoulder through a lot of early, uninspiring content before really learning enough about the game to start having fun. (EVE is actually like this)

You write about things no one else does, god mode dungeons, huge PVP battles, robust PVE options etc, almost like you are playing a different game.

Weird.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    I almost tried this game (even had it installed) but after My.com was very open about the cash shop (to their credit) and I researched what the items did that were sold - it completely turned me off from even launching the game. Cash shop is not outright P2W (they don't sell BiS gear) but is so horribly P2getridiculouslyaheadofnonwhales that it might as well be P2W. I was hoping this game was Aion 2.0 for me (I miss my wings!) but sadly, it was not meant to be.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    edited April 2017
    Don't have a feeling for the game at all, but the word POTENTIAL should never be used in a review.   That's something that fits in a PREVIEW...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

lmao at least say its a goddam grinding game u have to grind special skills to level it and grind items to level the tree ontop you have to grind gear and items for the gears wait u only have x hrs per day, gasp its not enough well easy way out is the cash shop even with that you still have to grind 24/7 from level 50 to level 70 and with each stage of 10 levels in between the grinding gets more intense and u need to throw more money.

well if this is the kind of game u like good for u, enjoy the ride there will always be free loaders since its f2p heh.
  • ArchaegeoArchaegeo Member UncommonPosts: 233

Elminzter said:

lmao at least say its a goddam grinding game u have to grind special skills to level it and grind items to level the tree ontop you have to grind gear and items for the gears wait u only have x hrs per day, gasp its not enough well easy way out is the cash shop even with that you still have to grind 24/7 from level 50 to level 70 and with each stage of 10 levels in between the grinding gets more intense and u need to throw more money.

well if this is the kind of game u like good for u, enjoy the ride there will always be free loaders since its f2p heh.

The previous guy you are talking about is 100% correct about how good the game is. Remember, its always the silent majority and the vocal minority on forums, people happy with things do not post.

I will concur that up to around level 30 the game can seem very simplistic, and yes, the main story does suck and makes the game get the nickname F-Space.

But after that, the game opens up with lots to do, and has some great systems to keep people "close" if they cant no life play it all day long.

I do agree as well it is the worst translated game with the worst help files (none) and goldspam bots are very bad, and bot players are minor, but that doesn't stop you from having fun and enjoying the games systems, once you figure them out.

Explorer 73% Achiever 53% Socializer 53% Killer 20%

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Aori said:
    valoiz said:

Aori said:

Was overwhelming for me too, thats subjective
    The starting experience is so handholdy, how could you possibly be overwhelmed, you're on a kiddy rollercoaster for 30 levels.
    Apparently not 30 levels. This basically Tutorial goes up to max level ( endgame )
    With short break from 30 to 40

And in endgame there is only handful of dungeons - thats about it

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    OG_Zorvan said:
    "Potential".

The word that automatically makes me ignore a game immediately.
    :-)
    saying a game has Potential can be translated to 'if........'

if a game changes xxxxx
    if a game does away with xxxxx
    if a game reworks xxxxx
    if a game introduces xxxxx
    if a game fixes xxxxxx and xxxxxx and xxxxxx

....then it might not be half bad.

that's Potential.
  • PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    How many of you waited for the download? Fk that. This is 2017 not on dial up anymore....

I retired retroactively..Haha

Kyleran said:

Your experience and view on RO is almost totally unique compared to almost every other poster on this forum.

I can't quite figure out why unless a player really has to shoulder through a lot of early, uninspiring content before really learning enough about the game to start having fun. (EVE is actually like this)

You write about things no one else does, god mode dungeons, huge PVP battles, robust PVE options etc, almost like you are playing a different game.

Weird.

I'm in an alliance with more than 400 players. Right now we are with 154 players in OUR TS3 preparing for the war that will happen soon. And those numbers is only for our alliance, there are so many others with even more numbers than us.... Talk about a MMORPG being a MMORPG, the HORROR....

But sure, you totally should trust people that don't even played a day (lvl 30+) the tutorial and don't have a single ARGUMENT, and are afraid to COMPARE Revelation Online with ANY MMORPG in the market... Yeah, sure dude... Have fun.

I'm busy now, i'm an officer of my guild and a have a lot of players to prepare for battle, have fun in your single player experience in whatever MMORPG you choose to play.

Truewarlord, SSGT consilor, server Darkfall.
  • Xav_MMOXav_MMO Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Installed it yesterday. I was disconnected from the servers 4 times during character creation. Uninstalled.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited April 2017

Kyleran said:

Weird.

I'm in an alliance with more than 400 players. Right now we are with 154 players in OUR TS3 preparing for the war that will happen soon. And those numbers is only for our alliance, there are so many others with even more numbers than us.... Talk about a MMORPG being a MMORPG, the HORROR....

But sure, you totally should trust people that don't even played a day (lvl 30+) the tutorial and don't have a single ARGUMENT, and are afraid to COMPARE Revelation Online with ANY MMORPG in the market... Yeah, sure dude... Have fun.

I'm busy now, i'm an officer of my guild and a have a lot of players to prepare for battle, have fun in your single player experience in whatever MMORPG you choose to play.

Truewarlord, SSGT consilor, server Darkfall.
    Clearly you have no idea what sort of MMORPG's I favor if you think they are single player in nature.

But realize your experience is really only backed up by one or two other posters in this thread and even then with few details other than to say what you wrote is correct.

Most any other game in these forums has a plethora of supporters who will respond to detractors comments and provide detailed responses about what a game has to offer, yet this one only has.... you.

As I said, I'm trying to figure out the disconnect and I agree, many of the comments appear to come from people who didn't get very far into the game.  (but the question is, how far do you have to get to start really having "fun?")

I recall Ripper X writing a few articles as he leveled up to 40 so he could start doing PVP, which he considered the good part.  Didn't see if he ever got there or if it was fun once he did. 

You mentioned an upcoming battle of hundreds, what levels are these folks, a wide range from 40 to ??? or is it primarily level/gear capped folks only?  (Not sure what the cap, if any might be)

There are responses in these threads from reasonable posters who regularly share their thoughts on games, and IMO are far too forgiving of the "flaws" in most titles, yet even these folks are calling this game a solid "Meh"

You mentioned a beautiful, broad open world, I've seen reports this is true, but it is largely empty from those who explored it.

You stated there's in depth PVE content and dungeons, I've read virtually nothing about any of them in terms of interesting mechanics or what not. 

You state God Mode is "hard", compared to what else that you've played previously (you did mention GW2 but how about WOW, Aion, EQ1, or Wildstar)

Did they really name one of their servers Darkfall?  A bit overused I think.

Weird.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RawasaRawasa Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Well guess its time to wait for The Secret World legends, GG RO you tried and failed.
  • wishewishe Member CommonPosts: 1
    I played RO into the late 40s. I will admit there was a lot to do, but I it always felt like a chore rather than fun and because very little had explanatory info had been translated you really had no idea why you were doing it. Usually in MMOs I level one character with a partner and one character solo but there really was no point in teaming up in that way. The story? All I did was press 'f', 'space' and click paths in the end. What translations that were completed were abysmal (I am assuming the original story wasn’t that badly written) and my Chinese language skills are non existent so a large amount of untranslated text/voice/cutscenes was of no value. Belonged to 3 guilds and had to move each time as they became ghost towns when GLs and officers and eventually all the members stopped logging in. The bots, omg! One staff member banning people on each server would have made a huge difference. I bought the high level starter pack just prior to launch and other than taking advantage of early open beta access the rest remains untouched. Have played lots of MMOs and this had been the first I have totally lost interest in before experiencing endgame. It may be pretty to look at but I've never played a more soulless MMO.
    edited April 2017

Kyleran said:

Kyleran said:

Clearly you have no idea what sort of MMORPG's I favor if you think they are single player in nature.

But realize your experience is really only backed up by one or two other posters in this thread and even then with few details other than to say what you wrote is correct.

Most any other game in these forums has a plethora of supporters who will respond to detractors comments and provide detailed responses about what a game has to offer, yet this one only has.... you.

As I said, I'm trying to figure out the disconnect and I agree, many of the comments appear to come from people who didn't get very far into the game.  (but the question is, how far do you have to get to start really having "fun?")

I recall Ripper X writing a few articles as he leveled up to 40 so he could start doing PVP, which he considered the good part.  Didn't see if he ever got there or if it was fun once he did. 

You mentioned an upcoming battle of hundreds, what levels are these folks, a wide range from 40 to ??? or is it primarily level/gear capped folks only?  (Not sure what the cap, if any might be)

There are responses in these threads from reasonable posters who regularly share their thoughts on games, and IMO are far too forgiving of the "flaws" in most titles, yet even these folks are calling this game a solid "Meh"

You mentioned a beautiful, broad open world, I've seen reports this is true, but it is largely empty from those who explored it.

You stated there's in depth PVE content and dungeons, I've read virtually nothing about any of them in terms of interesting mechanics or what not. 

You state God Mode is "hard", compared to what else that you've played previously (you did mention GW2 but how about WOW, Aion, EQ1, or Wildstar)

Did they really name one of their servers Darkfall?  A bit overused I think.

Weird.

Most of the other games in this forum actualy have empty comment sections in their "news" because no one here is playing them. That is a simple and very empirical statement.

I've made a challenge for the people claiming the game is "trash" to say what MMO they're playing and what features are better there, no one actually reply that, and the reason could indeed be the lack of interest, but i truly believe that it is not the case, they actually lack knowledge.

Well the number of the level you need to get to start having fun don't really matter. I mean, in some games you need to get level 20 to start to do stuffs that really matter, and it can take a whole month.. In other game you can end the tutorial at level 100, and it can only take 2 days... The NUMBER after the level is not what matter, but the amount of time you need to put.

In Revelation Online you can easily get level 50 in a very short time, lets say 7-9 days (i can do it in 4 days but i'm not an average gamer), and i would say that you're starting to see the massively aspect of the game in this level range. The "history quests" in RO are just that, a history being told, and if you like it or if you do not like it's a total subjective matter, but the game can't be summed by the history quests. First because there are many "quest types" with different styles, and second because the history quests is basically the tool they use to tell you the game story. But the game itself don't happen in the "story quests".

The game is very new and everyone can fight in territorial wars. In this particular event (territorial wars), the goal is to take control of one (or more if your guild could hold more than one) castle and keep it till the end. Every soldier is welcome, everyone matter. In the last war my guild manage to hold 2 castles in the Darkfall server, after huge battles.

The open world of RO is full of events, everywhere, so more people talk non senses about the game being "empty" more i'm preaty sure they don't know what they're talking about... You literally never run out of stuff to do. But it is very different from what happened in Archeage, where you take a lot of time doing the same thing, in RO you have so many different stuff to do... Sometimes i look at the windows and the sun is rising again, and i did not even notice that i just did a not intended all night.

You start to do dungeons in God Mode at level 45 (and yes it is very soon) and they're the most harder dungeons i've seen so far in my MMORPG life (i'm an UO player). In my guild we have ex WoW players, ex FFXIV players, and a lot of ex B&S and TERA players. Everyone agrees with me... And i'm talking about hundreds of players. You need to learn the mechanics else you die, simple as that. Some DGs you can't do without TS3/Discord/whatever voicer you like to use, because you need to comunicate all the time. Not only the "heal there", "hold the DPS for agro", i'm talking about required communication to do mechanics of specific bosses.

The last thing i would like to say is, it is natural people having different tastes and opinions. I'm not here to discuss subjective matters. But when you judge a game being "good" or "bad" you're Instantly comparing it with other games of the same genre. So, apart from people that don't like a specific genre at all, when you say that a game is "bad", or "trash", or a "3/10", you have an OBLIGATION to say what games are better, and why. You have an obligation to compare the features or at least say what are the parts of the game that are not your likings and what other game has done it better. And sorry, but that is not happening in this forum, not at all. Actually, this forum is becoming more and more full of trolls, discussions here are becoming meaningless and Ad Hominem is becoming a norm.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Thanks for all the remarks , save me from trying this.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    edited April 2017
    I see this game going exactly the same way as Skyforge. It's a sticking plaster game, played for a bit until the person:
    a) Switches to the next 'the greatest game of the year' to be released, or
    b) Just realizes that it's an extremely poor mish-mash of features that have been thrown together with no real thought on game immersion.

And Open Beta, what is this supposed to mean?
    I know what it used to mean.

It was a game standard where the developers released the game for bug/issues feedback. The game was played by people with the intention to test the game functions.
    How can you possibly do that here when you can't understand half the dialogue? When you know that this 'open beta' is likely to follow previous examples in lasting for months, with the cash shop open in a theoretical testing phase?
    A phase they could legally just wipe clean if it all went pear shaped.

I was going to compare it to BDO, but I think it won't last as long, as Black Desert has bit more about it. Not much, but enough to beat this effort.
  • MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    It makes me wonder, that those who complain of some sort of grind, which all mmos have in one context or another, how will they fair in games like Chronicles of Elyria, Camelot Unchained, or Ashes of Creation, which to me will be games that will eat your life, like the mmos of old, and personally I look forward to. To me RO is no more grindy than Vanilla WoW was, it isn't even as remotely grindy as FFXI (which ate my life for 3 years).

To me it's all about who much entertainment am I getting for my money, and I find RO entertaining, at least I find it's class design entertaining, Will the game hold my money for a long term, who's to say, I still pay for Archeage, FFXIV, TSW, Tera and Riders of Icarus, and I bounce around them, whenever the mood strikes, I still have trouble finding that one game that will eat my life and keep me from bouncing around from it's competitors. Hopefully a game will captivate me as much as FFXI once did.