Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Revelation accounts being hacked!

SchwartzkokSchwartzkok Member UncommonPosts: 1
This is the first time I've ever had a game account hacked, and I've been online gaming since 14.4Kbps dialup modems were the rage.

I've only been playing Revelation for a few days and I was really starting to enjoy my vanguard after trying a couple classes. I logged in last night to find a message at the login screen saying that my account was already signed in and asked if I wanted to force log off, so I selected yes. I tried to log on again but this time I got a message saying the account was in some sort of protection mode... I give it a couple minutes and I finally log on to find my character not in the spot I logged off at. I open my inventory and see all of my Imperial Coins (currency you gain from quests to use in trading with other players) are gone. I didn't have a lot, maybe 100k. I check over my inventory, and it seems like everything is there. So I think maybe it's a game glitch, but then why was my character moved? I did a few google searches and find many other posts starting around the 17th of March claiming they had been hacked, their currency taken, unbound items missing, guild stash robbed, and items deleted that were bound to the player..

There are many posts on the my.com forums all describing the same situation, they all eventually get shut down by a forum moderator saying to "contact support" before locking the thread from further comment. I've gathered that since this is such a widespread problem this can not be the result of malware, keystroke loggers, virus, or phishing. My.com has had their player account info leaked/hacked, or they have a huge hole in account security that allows hackers to bypass needing a password to gain access to your account and characters.

Funny thing is, after you have been hacked you can go open your mailbox to compose a new letter and in the "To:" field hit space bar once and you'll see the names of people who were sent your items! I had at least 7 names on my past recipients list, and I have never sent mail in game.

My.com has a solution for this problem, you can put a password on your inventory in game!

My solution. Stay away from this game until my.com openly admits to the problem and fixes it. Having an inventory password is a nice backup, but the account should be more secure than to have to rely on an inventory password to be your main line of defense against hackers.  The question is not IF you will have your Revelation account hacked, the question is WHEN will your account come up next on the list, and HOW MANY different game currency dealers have a copy of this list?

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    you know then that will never happen, what you can do is the same as I did when I was hacked on path of exile, delete the char unistall the game and don't bother ever to go back
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    If a company sees a need to add an inventory password to their game you know they've accepted the fact they are powerless to prevent hacking.

Likely their own staff is part of the hacking ring, or totally sucks at online security.

Probably both.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    edited April 2017
    I think the worst part is the silence on their behalf.  It takes forever for them to respond if you have been hacked, and even longer for them to assist you. And I may have missed it, but I haven't seen any kind of announcements on them even working on the problem. Instead, the RO facebook just announced an expansion. 
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    This is sad to read, and for anyone affected, I feel for you.

But as DMKano said above, and I would add: My.com already had a horrible reputation before RO was even the "new shiny" on the horizon.  I wouldn't touch any of their games with someone else's PC, much less my own.  I don't mean to make it sound like anyone "deserved" to get hacked, but when you are dealing with a company notorious for P2W tactics and poor customer support, you should expect issues like this to arise.

I would posit that RO will be a dead zone before too much longer anyway, so if you just delete your toons and uninstall I doubt you will be missing much.
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote