Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Japan's FFXIV-Themed TV Show Headed to Netflix - Final Fantasy XIV - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageJapan's FFXIV-Themed TV Show Headed to Netflix - Final Fantasy XIV - MMORPG.com

Final Fantasy XIV News - If you remember a month or two ago, we reported that Japan had created a live-action television show based on Final Fantasy XIV. Called "Daddy of Light", the show centers on a father and son who both play the game and bond through their shared experiences. Netflix will be rolling out the program to Japanese audiences in mid-April and that a Western version will be released some time after and keep the original series title.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I would be more interested in a Machinima show. Or a CG show set in the world of FF that dives into the lore. Maybe bringing in people chars into the show as a way to bring people into the game. I think they missed the boat on this one.

Aori said:

Nanfoodle said:

I would be more interested in a Machinima show. Or a CG show set in the world of FF that dives into the lore. Maybe bringing in people chars into the show as a way to bring people into the game. I think they missed the boat on this one.

I think you're missing the point of the show..

Enlighten me

Aori said:

Nanfoodle said:

Aori said:

Nanfoodle said:

Enlighten me

It is about a father and son bonding over a video game which just happens to be FFXIV. 

Yup didnt miss the point. I stand by my OP. Could have been better if...
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    I don't think I quite understand the idea. How do you make an entire show about this? And how do you make it interesting?
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Nanfoodle said:

Aori said:

Nanfoodle said:

Aori said:

Nanfoodle said:

Enlighten me

It is about a father and son bonding over a video game which just happens to be FFXIV. 

But that has absolutely nothing to do with what they made, or had intention to make. You can't just state something would be better if it was something completely different. That's like me eating a pizza and saying, well it could have been better if it was chocolate. That's not what you go in expecting.

Nanfoodle said:

Aori said:

Nanfoodle said:

Aori said:

Nanfoodle said:

Enlighten me

But that has absolutely nothing to do with what they made, or had intention to make. You can't just state something would be better if it was something completely different. That's like me eating a pizza and saying, well it could have been better if it was chocolate. That's not what you go in expecting.

So you do get my point. You like pizza and I would rather have chocolate. IMO a FF name on a show would be a bigger hit with more people IMO if it was actually about the game they made and the lore that makes it up. Why? Because the FF fans that like drama are a smaller circle of people, then the circle of people who like FF who would watch a show about FF. If they had tied that into the game, they may have netted most of the people who play the game.

Aori said:

Well this is inspired by a blog from a player who records his experiences with his father through the game and how they grew closer.

The blog and the show share the same name, Hikari no Otou-san. 

Hope they get the following they are looking for.
  • HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    There is no evidence that the show will not have any CGI versions of them also bonding in the game.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I wish them good luck, but sounds awful to me.

I self identify as a monkey.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited April 2017
    Nanfoodle said:

Nanfoodle said:

Aori said:

Nanfoodle said:

Aori said:

Nanfoodle said:

Enlighten me

So you do get my point. You like pizza and I would rather have chocolate. IMO a FF name on a show would be a bigger hit with more people IMO if it was actually about the game they made and the lore that makes it up. Why? Because the FF fans that like drama are a smaller circle of people, then the circle of people who like FF who would watch a show about FF. If they had tied that into the game, they may have netted most of the people who play the game.
    I think it was said above, but it's based on a true story, and could have been any game, but just so happened to be FFXIV. So this argument is pretty pointless regardless of whether you're right or wrong.

That being said, I know I'll never watch it.
  • DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 157
    april fools guys lmao
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728

DarkHigh said:

april fools guys lmao

This was posted march 31....

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    At first I thought this was a joke, then I discovered it wasn't. Now I just wish it looked like this The live action trailer that can only be described as a masterpiece.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I stumbled onto a FF movie the other day "Kingsglaive",a somewhat recent one 2016 and watched it..I have never seen it mentioned anywhere so obviously not a lot of marketing done where as when Warcraft movie came out it was posted everywhere.
    I have friends who liked Advent children as well.Personally i am not so big on animation movies but have been trying to watch more the last couple years.I tend to like humor more inside of anime and serious when not anime.
    As to this particular show or whatever it is,i don't think i would be interested.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• norman728norman728 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    so FFIV is joining the likes of ARCHLORD and LOTRO except with a tv show instead of a movie
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Wizardry said:
    I stumbled onto a FF movie the other day "Kingsglaive",a somewhat recent one 2016 and watched it..I have never seen it mentioned anywhere so obviously not a lot of marketing done where as when Warcraft movie came out it was posted everywhere.
    I have friends who liked Advent children as well.Personally i am not so big on animation movies but have been trying to watch more the last couple years.I tend to like humor more inside of anime and serious when not anime.
    As to this particular show or whatever it is,i don't think i would be interested.

It wasn't like the WoW movie. It came out before (and was packaged with some editions) FFXV. It was just a bluray/digital release tied in with XV.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Interesting trailer.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.