Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect Andromeda Isn’t As Bad As You’ve Heard - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited March 2017
    Volgore said:
    People are disappointed by a game.
    MMORPG.COM releasing an article about how its not so bad.

Bu$iness as usual and nothing we haven't seen various times before.

Yet another baseless accusation. Go figure. 

wish we were paid to review positively. I'd have a lot bigger bank balance. Amazingly, I like it as do a whole lot of other people. That you don't like it is YOUR business but to, once again, launch an unjustified insinuation that a positive article or review is "paid for" is quite old and tiresome.

As much as everyone's supposed to accept that there are people who hate this game, are disappointed in the game, etc., so too should it be acceptable for people to like MEA and to give their reasons why. Chris acknowledged both pros and cons and made a good argument why he believes (CATCH THE KEY WORDS?) it's not as bad as it's been painted.

Such a tiresome, boring accusation with absolutely no proof other than "because I say it's so" behind it. Just stop.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ulrick1965ulrick1965 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Asch126 said:
    This is one of the worst articles I've seen here so far.

It's childish, and honestly, pathetic to just dismiss everything the community has said like this.
    Well...
    Just like some people won't accept that some people don't agree with their opinion?  Childish like that?  Certainly not honest.  Likely pathetic though.  Please note I was not referring to the article.  Just to be clear here.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Volgore said:

What disappoints me is games like heroes of dire which technically is a mmo lite got absolutely ZERO COVERAGE on this MMO website. Do we really need or want another article telling us how great some big budget AAA mess is??? 

Awaiting long winded retaliation response...../sigh 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

edited March 2017
    Asch126 said:

It's childish, and honestly, pathetic to just dismiss everything the community has said like this.
    Not everyone in "the community" is up in arms. Most are quietly and happily playing the game while acknowledging that there are flaws and bugs, even a lot of them, but also waiting to hear how those issues will be dealt with come Tuesday. Much of what is "wrong" with MEA will be addressed through patches. 

The bottom line is, if the story isn't to your liking. If the game doesn't meet your expectations. If you hate the game play, the character models, or any one of a litany of things -- stop playing  and go back to play the Original Trilogy and hope that the next ME game is better. 

I find that this has been a pretty damned good first effort by a young team. I have a lot of confidence in their future and the future of the series.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited March 2017
    thunderC said:
    Volgore said:

What disappoints me is games like heroes of dire which technically is a mmo lite got absolutely ZERO COVERAGE on this MMO website. Do we really need or want another article telling us how great some big budget AAA mess is??? 

Awaiting long winded retaliation response...../sigh 
    Did you know we have a tip box on the news.cfm page? If you use it, we'll check it out. We always do.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Volgore said:

Seriously this is the only forum that doesn't remove positive, or negative opinions, as well as many others just because a game company censors their own forums which is truly pathetic...

As for Mass Effect 4, I didn't have to read a review as soon as I saw Denuvo I knew I wasn't buying the game, no editor here had to tell me anything either I looked it up on YouTube of how bad the Dialogues are, the character models are a joke, and honestly that money wasted to pay for a piece of crap DRM which upset me as a consumer could have been used to pay for better character models, and MO-Cap but instead it was just thrown down the tolit.

And even in the old Second Life 2001 game has made better character models than in Mass Effect 4, and yet you wonder how Video Game developers these days design such crappy games, yet if you go back and look at the Original Mass Effect game, and Mass Effect 2 it was great, they started getting really bad at Mass Effect 3, and Made 4 even worse.

And they did the same thing with Dragon Age, how can someone make such a beautiful Intellectual property and throw it down the garbage, same thing happened with Resident Evil, and all these other games great IP's thrown down the tolit but the original concepts were very good, I wonder how this Newer Generation of kids who go to School, spend thousands of dollars taking classes, turn out to suck this much compared to older generation of developers?

Like I just don't get it.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    SBFord said:
    Volgore said:

wish we were paid to review positively. I'd have a lot bigger bank balance. As much as everyone's supposed to accept that there are people who hate this game, are disappointed in the game, etc., so too should it be acceptable for people to like MEA and to give their reasons why. Chris acknowledged both pros and cons and made a good argument why he believes (CATCH THE KEY WORDS?) it's not as bad as it's been painted.

Such a tiresome, boring accusation with absolutely no proof other than "because I say it's so" behind it. Just stop.
    I did not mean to say that you or everyone else got paid for a positive spin, although this website -like most other websites of this kind- is in a business that is about not to annoy the alpha dogs in the park.

Accordingly, in my 9(?) years on this page i have NEVER seen mmorpg.com taking the stance of their readers or community when people raised valid concerns or voiced their disappointment by a game or company.
    Instead i have seen MANY of these articles from mmorpg.com telling us that "its not so bad", including a "this is an objective opinion while yours is subjective" vibe between the lines.

But hey, at least that's something!

... because much more often i have seen mmorpg.com just comfortably hear nothing, see nothing, say nothing when the hype for a game that this page helped to build up on a daily basis subsided and people were left with the reality of $60 spent for an unfinished or low quality product. I witnessed this sad history all the way back to Age Of Conan's release.

• caim5caim5 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    edited March 2017
    I, for one, would like to thank you guys for your review of the game. I decided to take the plunge and I am happy that I did. I'm enjoying everything this game has to offer (mostly focused on MP at the moment). I won't let people's disappointment influence my own enjoyment of this game.

Thanks again for the honest reviews guys.

Are the facial animations strange at times? Yes. But I won't let that get in the way! I have a path to find.........(I know, cheesy). :).
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    SBFord said:
    Asch126 said:

Not everyone in "the community" is up in arms. Most are quietly and happily playing the game while acknowledging that there are flaws and bugs, even a lot of them, but also waiting to hear how those issues will be dealt with come Tuesday. Much of what is "wrong" with MEA will be addressed through patches. 

The bottom line is, if the story isn't to your liking. If the game doesn't meet your expectations. If you hate the game play, the character models, or any one of a litany of things -- stop playing  and go back to play the Original Trilogy and hope that the next ME game is better. 

I find that this has been a pretty damned good first effort by a young team. I have a lot of confidence in their future and the future of the series.
    "Most" are happily playing the game? Since when is YOUR opinion the opinion of "most" now?

"Oh, it'll be patched so it's ok", since when was that acceptable? Since when is a game with so many issues with animations and the writing given a pass because it's "a young team"?
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    30 hours in, enjoying it a lot. It has its flaws but they are not massive, just noticeable, and only really an issue because we expected more and the original 3 were an amazing journey.

If you are on the fence, try it when it goes on sale or something or try it round at a friends house. If you are determined to hate it, you will hate it, but if you go into it with an open mind its a good game. Not the world beater we wanted, but its a solid start.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I agree with @DMKano  which almost hurts.

@SBFord , I think what the community here is REALLY saying is that... with all the MMO's and other games available, why is it that you're focusing on Content that is lackluster?  Are the click-views really so much better on ME:A even if each article causes a little forum war each time?

Gotta be honest, the games that get time devoted to them recently have been head scratchers.  ME:A (as a long time ME fan (from the first one one) sucked.  I actually stopped playing it because I got tired of the same spiele over and over and over.  And I stomached TWO playthroughs of ME3 because of the change in story.

More importantly, why don't we focus on actual MULTI PLAYER content if nothing else.  You know the MM part?  Reading editorials about single player games can be done elsewhere.  I came here way back for the MMORPG, I'm sticking for the MMORPG but given the lack of those articles featured here anymore... I just dunno.  

And the "don't let the door hitcha" attitude when the community is trying to explain their point to you guys.... I get it.  You're tired of being told your opinions are bought.  I'm sure Trump or the Media feel similarly depending on which side you view it from.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Asch126 said:

"Oh, it'll be patched so it's ok", since when was that acceptable? Since when is a game with so many issues with animations and the writing given a pass because it's "a young team"?
    Since when was it not? People accept issues of varying degrees in everything, look at games like Skyrim, which had all kinds of issues, much more than I've seen in ME:A thus far, but hey I loved it regardless of the dragons flying backwards, the simple overused story, etc...

People have every right to care about what they want. If such issues don't bother them they don't bother them. I think it was TimE that said people seem to act as though a 7 (arbitrary chosen number) can't still be a good game, I have to agree with that assessment. As to me that's what I'm seeing here with ME:A. It's not the greatest game ever, it's far from the worst I've played. Either way I've had a ton of fun with it so far. That's all that really matters. Hence the trial has sold me on the game. Regardless of the crusade against it. 

Should I dislike it because you feel no game should be liked that has "issues with animations", or you didn't like the story? That sounds an awful lot like what you're saying to me...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Asch126 said:
    SBFord said:
    Asch126 said:

"Most" are happily playing the game? Since when is YOUR opinion the opinion of "most" now?

Almost all of the people that I know that bought the game are actually liking it. 1 out of 9 decided to stop playing and wait for updates.
    edited April 2017
    Ikeda said:
    I agree with @DMKano  which almost hurts.

@SBFord , I think what the community here is REALLY saying is that... 
    There's no consensus in this community on this matter, stop acting as though one side has an upper hand, as neither do. Some of us like the articles on ME ( most of them anyway, this one is just picking an unneeded fight)...

Distopia said:
    Asch126 said:

Since when was it not? People accept issues of varying degrees in everything, look at games like Skyrim, which had all kinds of issues, much more than I've seen in ME:A thus far, but hey I loved it regardless of the dragons flying backwards, the simple overused story, etc...

People have every right to care about what they want. If such issues don't bother them they don't bother them. I think it was TimE that said people seem to act as though a 7 (arbitrary chosen number) can't still be a good game, I have to agree with that assessment. As to me that's what I'm seeing here with ME:A. It's not the greatest game ever, it's far from the worst I've played. Either way I've had a ton of fun with it so far. That's all that really matters. Hence the trial has sold me on the game. Regardless of the crusade against it. 

Should I dislike it because you feel no game should be liked that has "issues with animations", or you didn't like the story? That sounds an awful lot like what you're saying to me...
    So what issues did Skyrim had that compares to ME:A?

Did i say no one should like it? No. Now you put words in my mouth just to pretend your point is more valid? You're even more childish and pathetic than the guy that wrote the article.
    Azoth said:
    Asch126 said:
    SBFord said:
    Asch126 said:

Almost all of the people that I know that bought the game are actually liking it. 1 out of 9 decided to stop playing and wait for updates.
    Oh really? The people YOU know like it? I'm sorry, i forgot you and your friends spoke for everyone else.
    edited April 2017
    Asch126 said:

So what issues did Skyrim had that compares to ME:A?

Did i say no one should like it? No. Now you put words in my mouth just to pretend your point is more valid? You're even more childish and pathetic than the guy that wrote the article.
    WOW I was asking you if that's what your point was, why so combative? 

WHat issues did Skyrim have? how about the game being completely broken on PS3? Like really completely broken..... stopping players in their tracks for what 6 or more months? Or the horrible physics applied to dragons that were problematic for months? How about getting hit once by a Giant and being sent 100 feet in the air?  could go on for pages here... what's the point when you'll just call me more names lol...

I didn't pretend my point was more valid... how did you read that in my post?

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Asch126 said:
    Azoth said:
    Asch126 said:
    SBFord said:
    Asch126 said:

Oh really? The people YOU know like it? I'm sorry, i forgot you and your friends spoke for everyone else.
    It's the only valid metric I have. At least it comes from people that have played the games.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Volgore said:
    SBFord said:
    Volgore said:

wish we were paid to review positively. I'd have a lot bigger bank balance. As much as everyone's supposed to accept that there are people who hate this game, are disappointed in the game, etc., so too should it be acceptable for people to like MEA and to give their reasons why. Chris acknowledged both pros and cons and made a good argument why he believes (CATCH THE KEY WORDS?) it's not as bad as it's been painted.

I did not mean to say that you or everyone else got paid for a positive spin, although this website -like most other websites of this kind- is in a business that is about not to annoy the alpha dogs in the park.

Accordingly, in my 9(?) years on this page i have NEVER seen mmorpg.com taking the stance of their readers or community when people raised valid concerns or voiced their disappointment by a game or company.
    Instead i have seen MANY of these articles from mmorpg.com telling us that "its not so bad", including a "this is an objective opinion while yours is subjective" vibe between the lines.

But hey, at least that's something!

... because much more often i have seen mmorpg.com just comfortably hear nothing, see nothing, say nothing when the hype for a game that this page helped to build up on a daily basis subsided and people were left with the reality of $60 spent for an unfinished or low quality product. I witnessed this sad history all the way back to Age Of Conan's release.

So now you're softpedaling from your bu$iness as usual bullshit?

The fact of the matter is that many of you are creating a fucking cesspool here with your constant digs always insinuating or outright stating that the reviews here are bought and paid for, They clutter every fucking review thread here with the same dribble.

You throw what is a very serious allegation around constantly and the staff here are just supposed to take your shit because you have a warped sense that freedom of expression means that you get to be as insulting as you want and no one is allowed to call you on it?

I can tell you that they are a lot more tolerant than I would be when accused of being dishonest at my job. I'd shut down the account of all the trolls in a fucking minute when they throw those unsubstantiated allegations around.

This goes well beyond just MEA. Dig up any review thread and you'll see the same shit from all those genius posters who are pissed that something they hate got a 7 or better. The same crowd I'm sure, that think it's cool to go to Metacritic and hand out 0's for shit and giggles.

If you want to disagree, disagree with fucking details. But that would actually take thought and work. It's much easier to just insinuate that the review was bought and the reviewer is corrupt.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    For all the people claiming the community is saying the game is bad, no you are saying it is bad and you don't speak for the community.  Sure there are some that don't like it but there are just as many that do.  You need to realize this, and realize that your opinion does not make it a community opinion.  
  • ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283
    key word is professionalism, this is not some third world company creating a game? imo their goal should be to reach out to the larger consumer based? but in this instance how on earth could they failed so badly? with basics stuff? 

hey this is the same as diablo 3, just shows companies are just interested in cashing  to fleece their loyal fan base?

imo, in this case its no difference than going to a posh resturant or buying a bmw or merc we expect a higher standard than the norm.

my 2 cents.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    76 for a series that has a 90-100 rating is a pretty huge drop. And a sign of things to come from BioWare. OK, honestly I gave up on BW once I saw that joke of a game called SWTOR. I knew they were just EA. I'm sure it a decent game, but ME and Bioware were so far above decent.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Maurgrim said:

I really don't care about the animations, I really don't care about the poor optimization, It's a good game but what I do care compare to ME2 are the companions, in MEA they are boring, not fun, stale, nothing to remember, but in ME2, damn those companions are gold and NPCs made the game, they were "alive"
    I don't see that happens in MEA.

Ahh... the just like the animations? Funny how that works.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    DMKano said:
    I can only speak for myself - Andromeda is the worst game of the series by far.

this is the only ME game where I actually LOL'd at how bad the writing and voice acting was. Animations I am not even going to go there.

What ME:Andromeda lacks is - soul. The previous ME games had it.

Ita feels like an assembly like mass produced product, and frankly it sucks.

So for me the game IS as bad as many say it is.

just my 2c

I didn't really mind the voice acting for the most part. There was just a lot of badly written dialogue.

MRW your squadmate says "I really pissed that one off .. Probably because I shot him in the face!!!!!"

I cringed so hard my face hurt. I don't blame the voice actor. Even a great actor couldn't make that line work.
  • spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    These teams need to learn from Naughty Dog, great writing, great VA, solid gameplay and exceptional animations. If these guys can do it on PS3 (referring to The Last of Us), surely with the hardware we have now things should not be released by AAA studios in this shape. If ME:A were an MMO, that's a different story, no one expects that but from a hugely hyped and highly budgeted single player title, this simply didn't live up. Feels like the gaming equivalent of True Detective S2.

That being said, if you enjoy the game, power to you, we're all here to have fun and some of us have different tastes and expectations than others.

In other news, Persona 5 has me hyped AF.