Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect Andromeda Isn’t As Bad As You’ve Heard - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    "Mass Effect Andromeda Isn’t As Bad As You’ve Heard"

The title of this article isn't very reassuring lol. By saying it is not "as bad", that still leaves us to conclude that you think the game is some degree of bad. :lol:
    --------------------------------------------
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Talmien said:
    I'm one of those gamers who hasn't bought it because of the word of mouth says that its a failure.

I tend to not listen to video games critics, because the reality is, they are not critics, they're the biggest fans and gamers out there. They love games so much, and love the developers that make them, that they'll never be able to give a honest and objective reviews, even though that say otherwise. Most "critics" get review copies for free, and even that skews your perspective. I prefer to read user reviews from people who have limited gaming budgets to help me find how best to spend my money on entertainment.
    I'm one of those who is usually more interested in playing when there's so much hoopla. Just to see for myself, as the amount of money isn't much of a risk, especially with EA titles as you can just get EA access (5 bones) and try their new games for 10hrs. No different than going to blockbuster in the 90's to rent games to test them out. I'm usually left perplexed by what the hoopla was all about. I just wonder how many jump onto these bandwagons making so much noise without ever touching the game themselves. All because they read something that says it's bad. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Here's the problem everyone's opinion is subjective, no one can truly have objective opinions because there is always some form of personal feeling or emotion attached.  With that said no one person is wrong about their opinion for them, but that also means that their opinion is just that an opinion not a fact.  Everyone acts like their opinion are facts when they are not facts.  To some the game is great and worth every penny they spent to others is isn't a good game and they regret buying it. 

To those that haven't played it personally your opinions matter the least to me and many because you don't have first hand knowledge about anything.  Watching others play and reading other peoples comments don't give you any expertise on the game at all.  Whether you like it or don't, if you haven't played it you are basically wasting your time trying to change peoples minds.  The second I find out you haven't played it I totally stop listening to you as I am sure many others do as there is no way for you to give a review because you haven't played it.

People that have played it and don't like it are entitled to that.  They can review it and say why and I will most likely respect their opinion even if I don't agree.  I may ask why they feel that way to understand better why they feel that way. 

That is the difference for me, have you played it or haven't you.

Overall for me I have have enjoyed the game.  The story for me has been great.  I love the new feel with the little bits and pieces of the previous games thrown in here or there in some form or other.  The combat is very much improved vs. the past games.  The open planets give use room to roam and find the little hidden things vs. running down a pre-fab corridor in every mission.  Yes there is so repetition in the main story quest with resetting the planets but that is about it.  For me at least the game has been mostly bug free other than a script error because I did something that wouldn't let a quest advance because the script is to kill a target in range and I sniped them out of range.  Other than 2 bugs where I did the before mentioned I haven't ran into a single other bug and I fixed those two by reloading and moving into range.  Even the nomad is a greatly improve vehicle and fun to drive on some planets once ungraded to the fullest.  One of only bad things for me is the facial animation really, and I just laugh that crap off because it can make a rather dull moment hilarious when you see it.  The only other part that is really boring to me is wasting my time scanning planets that I can't land on, they could have cut that part out and still had a decent game.

My personal score for this game right now is a 8.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Phry said:
    Those that do mention that person however, are just supplying the reasons why certain aspects of the game are sub par, 
    No matter how you shake it, the mention of his tasteless tweets are 100% irrelevant to the game. It just makes those who insist on mentioning that or throwing SJW in there easy to dismiss as trolls with an agenda other than the game's merits or lack thereof.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited March 2017

Iselin said:

Phry said:

Those that do mention that person however, are just supplying the reasons why certain aspects of the game are sub par, 

No matter how you shake it, the mention of his tasteless tweets are 100% irrelevant to the game. It just makes those who insist on mentioning that or throwing SJW in there easy to dismiss as trolls with an agenda other than the game's merits or lack thereof.

hmm I see you mention SJW in your comments so much. why it bothers you? are they trolls because they dont like the game AND SJW?
  • ulrick1965ulrick1965 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    edited March 2017
    Love the game. I have over 70 hours logged via multiplayer and campaign.

It would be great if the haters would identify whether or not they purchased and played the game or were simply programmed by social media.

If you have not paid anything why are you acting like Bioware is shoving a rough stick up your butt? What is your stake in the conversation? If you have not played it why are you commenting at all?
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    edited March 2017
    Don't you think if you're going to QUOTE someone talking about the game, you'd talk to someone a little bit further than just discovering the Angara? Just sayin'. I expected more from @GameByNight . That's like asking someone to tell you about the car when they're on their test drive from the lot.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    TimEisen said:

It's bad and it isn't because of "social politics". A lot of people including me wanted the game to be good and it was supposed to be critically acclaimed. To say it's good and claim that the outcry of the fans of the series that say it's bad are nothing more than naysayers is childish at best.

I honestly think you are confusing social politics with marketing. Studios follow the money.

I try to think of games and their appeal based on multiple groups.

For general fans of this kind of game this one sounds average if not a hair below average at best.

For hardcore ME fans, yes I can see how this one is a disappointment.

Let's also not forget Mass Effect 3, which has a User Rating of around 5.6 on Metacritic. Again, I feel like some people believe that the fan outcry is far more relevant that it is for this specific series. What's problematic with this is that in the event that someone happens that fans really hate (like in ME3 and now in ME4) they will revolt and be very vocal about it and dig up just about anything they can. So the relevance of their voice is really diluted. Same goes for ME4. Personally, I don't know how anyone could possibly make a purchase decision based on the reviews. You don't know how prevalent the issues with the game are since the User Reviews are so massively skewed. So, instead, you end up sifting through heaps of shit trying to find what you believe to be an objective review. Or you just listen to the critics. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    CrazKanuk said:
    TimEisen said:

It's bad and it isn't because of "social politics". A lot of people including me wanted the game to be good and it was supposed to be critically acclaimed. To say it's good and claim that the outcry of the fans of the series that say it's bad are nothing more than naysayers is childish at best.

I honestly think you are confusing social politics with marketing. Studios follow the money.

I try to think of games and their appeal based on multiple groups.

For general fans of this kind of game this one sounds average if not a hair below average at best.

For hardcore ME fans, yes I can see how this one is a disappointment.

Let's also not forget Mass Effect 3, which has a User Rating of around 5.6 on Metacritic. Again, I feel like some people believe that the fan outcry is far more relevant that it is for this specific series. What's problematic with this is that in the event that someone happens that fans really hate (like in ME3 and now in ME4) they will revolt and be very vocal about it and dig up just about anything they can. So the relevance of their voice is really diluted. Same goes for ME4. Personally, I don't know how anyone could possibly make a purchase decision based on the reviews. You don't know how prevalent the issues with the game are since the User Reviews are so massively skewed. So, instead, you end up sifting through heaps of shit trying to find what you believe to be an objective review. Or you just listen to the critics. 
    yeah because ME3 was so "good", that ending, that cut on game lore, was better then ME2 but that does not mean much really
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • molepeopomolepeopo Member UncommonPosts: 40

Talmien said:

I'm one of those gamers who hasn't bought it because of the word of mouth says that its a failure.

I tend to not listen to video games critics, because the reality is, they are not critics, they're the biggest fans and gamers out there. They love games so much, and love the developers that make them, that they'll never be able to give a honest and objective reviews, even though that say otherwise. Most "critics" get review copies for free, and even that skews your perspective. I prefer to read user reviews from people who have limited gaming budgets to help me find how best to spend my money on entertainment.

it's hard for me to take player reviews serious when you see alot of reviews on metacritic like "lulz game sucks"
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited March 2017
    I really don't care about the animations, I really don't care about the poor optimization, It's a good game but what I do care compare to ME2 are the companions, in MEA they are boring, not fun, stale, nothing to remember, but in ME2, damn those companions are gold and NPCs made the game, they were "alive" I don't see that happens in MEA.
  • starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230
    this is why you never buy an ea game at launch...1/2 baked and buggy as hell /smh
  • Thoth_MosheThoth_Moshe Member UncommonPosts: 240
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Iselin said:
    Phry said:
    Sorry, but Manveir and the SJW developers on his team as well as the SJW main character voice actors had a direct effect on the games development, so they are highly relevant to the discussion, whether you like it or not.
    I think I know where Manveirs complaints are coming from

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    I have no idea why the staff here are defending the game as much as they are. I haven't seen it taken to this level before. We get it. You like the game. You really, really like it. Some people won't like it as much as you or at all. Some of the criticism is a little overboard (like all the social engineering stuff) but there are many legitimate problems with this new ME. Some of the staff responses are borderline fanboyism. Relax and calm your tits.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I'm more interested in playing torment, nier:automata and the ds3 dlc.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited March 2017
    TimEisen said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Iselin said:
    Phry said:
    Sorry, but Manveir and the SJW developers on his team as well as the SJW main character voice actors had a direct effect on the games development, so they are highly relevant to the discussion, whether you like it or not.
    Did the devs make the SJW angle clear? IMO studios follow money and avoid nich politics as those things generally cost more than they are worth and cause drama which adds another cost. I assumed they were just getting on the "strong female lead" gimmick that has taken over Hollywood ever since Hunger Games proved to be a draw. 
    Nah. It's just hysterical and irrelevant nonsense.

Considering the world demographics and that the human ark should theoretically be representative of that, if anything, white males are over-represented... just like they are in all space operas.

It's the same old gamergate crap with the same cast of characters who like to insult professional reviewers as corrupt lackeys and Bioware as part of some feminist agenda. They just pointed their hate at MEA and went with it.

The twitter mob mind at work.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• FlharfhFlharfh Member UncommonPosts: 24
    edited March 2017
    Ginaz said:
    I have no idea why the staff here are defending the game as much as they are. I haven't seen it taken to this level before. We get it. You like the game. You really, really like it. Some people won't like it as much as you or at all. Some of the criticism is a little overboard (like all the social engineering stuff) but there are many legitimate problems with this new ME. Some of the staff responses are borderline fanboyism. Relax and calm your tits.

You are right, the original review posted here was pretty blatant fanboyism. The reviewer wrote something like "graphic flaws don't matter because Mass Effect isn't about graphics." A video game where graphics don't matter? What is it, a MUD or something?
  • TrandTrand Member UncommonPosts: 234
    This game is Dragon Age: Inquisition in space, But I loved that game and I am really enjoying Andromeda.

My biggest complaint is the animations, yes you get used to them, but it should not have launched like this.

Otherwise great game.
    DOAC is still the MMO I judge other games by, My first and still my favorite.

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited March 2017

Distopia said:

What's childish is acting as though you're the authority on what is good or bad, either is only true in the eye of the beholder. I find it to be a better game which is much more in line with my tastes than any of the past ME games, I don't think that's a universal truth though. Learn to respect others thoughts is what I say. 

There's a reason they set Both DA:I and ME:A outside of their predecessors, they were meant to be different games than what came before, connected in IP only.

My point is exactly the same. Just because I didn't say 'in my opinion' at the end there doesn't mean it wasn't my opinion. Of course it is. Difference is I wasn't saying that the reason there are people that don't like the game is because someone told him to or due to some irl prejudice of some sort against minority groups or majority groups. If you read through, you can see that I am against the notion that one group or another believes he or she has the right to condemn the other argument for the game to be insignificant or wrong in comparison to their own. Thanks for your time
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I hear the characters are worse than Mass Effect 3 "Model Wise".

And the game has Denvuo, when it removes Denuvo, and if the rumors aren't true ill buy it.
  • Jester135Jester135 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    A lot of people complained about the crappy dialogues, facial expressions etc. I found them entertaining, a nice break from the serious parts of the game. Love the combat system, the new crafting system is pretty awesome, since you can actually customize what goes into your gear. Also like how the class system works now. Do admit ME3 facial animations were way better, but the goofy facial expressions on this one doesn't ruin the game.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

Trand said:

This game is Dragon Age: Inquisition in space, But I loved that game and I am really enjoying Andromeda.

My biggest complaint is the animations, yes you get used to them, but it should not have launched like this.

Otherwise great game.

I personally find it better than DAI and I was a DA fan before being a ME fan before MEA. I also love DAI (I got over 300 hours in it).

Also, my perception is that MEA is getting a better reception from "fans" who played the game than DAI did. The release reception of DAI on the official forums was quite mixed, with many people not liking the gameplay and game features that much. MEA reception on the unofficial BSN (where most of the official BSN moved after it was closed) is way more positive (minus the trolls). The main negative point for MEA on the uBSN is the lackluster character creator...(yeah, not even that animations).
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    This is one of the worst articles I've seen here so far.

It's childish, and honestly, pathetic to just dismiss everything the community has said like this.
  • RubrubgrrRubrubgrr Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I am totally loving ME4, all of it. Guess it sucks ass to be those who are whinging and whining about it now then doesn't it? Boo hoo for them LULZ. As quite often seems to be the case though, this is the place where all the "pro critics" come to bash something new and try and convince everyone else why the game is bad. Again, sucks ass to be them now doesn't it? LULZ! TBF though, IMHO, there does seem to be unusual amount of minor bugs in game atm that I do not expect to be present in this day and age
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    People are disappointed by a game.
    MMORPG.COM releasing an article about how its not so bad.

Bu$iness as usual and nothing we haven't seen various times before.