Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Like It or Not, Destiny 2 is Good for the MMO Genre - Bill Murphy at MMORPG.com

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Xiaoki said:

Why are people so hung up on labels?

Some people around here spend so much time and effort trying to define what it and what isnt an MMO I dont think they actually play them anymore.

Hey, Bill started it. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited March 2017
    Xiaoki said:

Some people around here spend so much time and effort trying to define what it and what isnt an MMO I dont think they actually play them anymore.

Whether its a Persistent Online Shooter or a MMORPG doesnt matter. What matters is the people playing it and there will be overlap with shooter players and MMO players with a game like Destiny.

But, Destiny 1 was very popular despite the many many flaws it launched with. If Bungie can take the opportunity afforded them with a sequel to outright change some of the more problematic systems for the better then Destiny 2 could firmly entrench itself as a major force among MMO players.
    Agreed, but in the end it's hipsters being hipsters. There's always a subset of an audience who thinks they're the authority on all aspects of their interest, when in the end it's just about them being the authority (they were there first in their minds so they own it).............. It's worthless to engage such people really... 

Growing up in the the local punk and metal scene in the DC/Bmore area, I've been around those types my whole life. You learn to ignore them. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Distopia said:
    Xiaoki said:

Whether its a Persistent Online Shooter or a MMORPG doesnt matter. What matters is the people playing it and there will be overlap with shooter players and MMO players with a game like Destiny.

But, Destiny 1 was very popular despite the many many flaws it launched with. If Bungie can take the opportunity afforded them with a sequel to outright change some of the more problematic systems for the better then Destiny 2 could firmly entrench itself as a major force among MMO players.
    Agreed, but in the end it's hipsters being hipsters. There's always a subset of an audience who thinks they're the authority on all aspects of their interest, when in the end it's just about them being the authority (they were there first in their minds so they own it).............. It's worthless to engage such people really... 

Growing up in the the local punk and metal scene in the DC/Bmore area, I've been around those types my whole life. You learn to ignore them. 

You know what, I can't even take you seriously without a fedora! 

OH!!! Metal? Do you listen to DragonForce? If you don't own a DragonForce album, I don't know if I can consider you a metal gamer :)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Distopia said:
    Xiaoki said:

Maybe to some it's that but labels, as descriptive shorthand are only useful when your audience agrees that you're both talking about the same thing.

I seriously think that Funcom had a stroke of genius when they decided to call their Secret World relaunch a "shared world RPG." It's a much more inclusive and descriptive label that sidesteps all the inevitable discussion about whether an old label is being used in the old fashioned or new way.

I think Shared World is a much better label for a lot of these games than MMO ever was... and then we can just argue about how RPGish the games are :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    I will play for the LOOT. The game might be an MMO if going by what those words mean but doesn't matter to me. I will likely miss a huge portion of the game because I avoid the PvP as I accept cheating happens in these games no matter how I play. That is ok because I will still kill lots of things and take their loot.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Iselin said:
    Distopia said:
    Xiaoki said:

Maybe to some it's that but labels, as descriptive shorthand are only useful when your audience agrees that you're both talking about the same thing.

I seriously think that Funcom had a stroke of genius when they decided to call their Secret World relaunch a "shared world RPG." It's a much more inclusive and descriptive label that sidesteps all the inevitable discussion about whether an old label is being used in the old fashioned or new way.

I think Shared World is a much better label for a lot of these games than MMO ever was... and then we can just argue about how RPGish the games are :)
    That's true as well, there's a purpose in certain types of labels, it's just nothing to get all uppity about. I also agree with your take on funcom's decision. It is a much more fitting term. I just hope we don't see people start breaking that down into meaningless criteria like it has 500 people in an instance instead of 20 so it's something else. Too many labels just gets redundant. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited March 2017
    @SBFord I actually did and he said it was an mmo so what exactly are you talking about? I'm not insulting anything, I'm stating the fact that it is not an mmo which the creators of the game have even said.

MMORPG

massively multiplayer online role-playing game: any story-driven online video game in which a player, taking on the persona of a character in a virtual or fantasy world, interacts with a large number of other players.

"mmorpg". Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House, Inc. 31 Mar. 2017. <Dictionary.com http://www.dictionary.com/browse/mmorpg>.

It fits the definition. Your personal opinion of what an MMO is means nothing.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Tiller said:
    @SBFord I actually did and he said it was an mmo so what exactly are you talking about? I'm not insulting anything, I'm stating the fact that it is not an mmo which the creators of the game have even said.

MMORPG

massively multiplayer online role-playing game: any story-driven online video game in which a player, taking on the persona of a character in a virtual or fantasy world, interacts with a large number of other players.

"mmorpg". Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House, Inc. 31 Mar. 2017. <Dictionary.com http://www.dictionary.com/browse/mmorpg>.

Yeah, but some would prefer to do away with story entirely..... sooooooooooooo........ 

;P Happy Friday! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515

Just because you and some other mediocre sites feel like it's an mmo doesn't make it one. Bungie has said time after time that it is not an mmo, it just has mmo elements. So why exactly is a non-mmo good for the mmo genre?

not only that but the worst parts of themepark mmo's at that! fine if people enjoy it,i'm happy your happy. but the so called destiny 2 reveal further justifies how many feel about triple A games and hype and how it does no one any good. personally i dont want anymore triple A mmorpgs,the indie companies seem to be the only ones who actually get what made mmorpgs have that compelling staying power they once had......the community!

I'll be open minded about it when they actually share some real info and destiny actually has a real universe for friends to get lost in!
  • xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    In my opinion If the game format are like Warframe, it will be a big hit.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417
    Whether or not we should call Destiny 2 an MMO remains to be seen. If they're stuck with the same player experience as the first game, it's not.

This seems to be a common theme in recent years, the term MMO is becoming more and more washed away and meaningless by the year. Hell, even the guys at MOP likes to call Path of Exile an MMOARPG. (Bree, I love you but that's just ridiculous to me) Here as well, the developers themselves refrain from using the term and encourage others not to apply it to their game all willy-nilly.

As for the franchise reaching PC; fantastic news! I'm not sold yet, will need to see some actual gameplay first. However, given that the option will be available to me, perhaps now I will keep an eye on it.
  • BukkerzBukkerz Member UncommonPosts: 177
    I would say that because Bungie are releasing Destiny 2 as a new and rebuilt, re-imagined and perfected reboot of Destiny would certainly indicate that they are including more MMO functionality ....otherwise they would have just continued the DLC Route surely.

With WOW and Legion performing so well and having weathered the storm over many years against other AAA titles I would guess that Activision / Blizzard would be pushing Bungie into putting in so many features from more open world community areas and social hubs with increased story and lore aspects to more variety in kit and rewards. Basically hitting a competitive nail with a mallet.

The decision to add PC at launch just backs this up. Who knows what happened with all of the work blizzard put into 'Titan'  ...... sounds viable that not only Overwatch would benefit from all the millions spent on development.

Either way I reckon it will almost certainly be as much an MMO as many and possibly  an industry kick up the backside.

Very interesting ....
    Tiller said:

MMORPG

Ah, but the devil's in the details, especially the first two letters, "Massively Multiplayer". 

What exactly does this mean?  Back when this site started, it meant at least 500 players in a single persistent game world.

Based on this criteria, I suspect Destiny 1 and 2 don't measure up.

If one "authority" who no longer supports their own definition doesn't convince you, we can look at historical trends when the genre first came out. 

Pretty much every MMOPRG starting with UO (maybe Meridian 59?) could support at least 500 or more players in a single server, I recall playing DAOC back in 2001 on servers with 1000 to 2500 online at any given time.

Lineage 1 and 2, Shadowbane, WOW, LOTRO, just the "MMO's" I played and every one met the above "standard" (which likely was originally created based on observation of the games within the genre.)

Now days apparently 20 players counts as massively, or if 1000 players can stand in a lobby to then depart in a group of 5 it's again "massive?" O.o

All part of the "newspeak" we're increasingly subjected to. 

So no, the qualification is not based on some "hipster" or personal definition, but rather long standing characteristics and agreements to what is and is not a MMO. 

Sure, people for many years now have been trying to "change" the definition, but screw it, a dog is still a dog, a cat still a cat, and I'm not going to call a CORPG (another brilliant term by the Anet folks) a MMO.

Being right lets you sit very high up on your high horse.  B)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I'm interested in D2... despite that hideously bad video. I wanted to slap pretty much every character that said something. Obviously, I wish it had shown gameplay instead of some random piece of lore that I don't have the background to understand.
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    I'm not going to engage regarding labels; I find that tiresome, you can call the game what you want.

I have to disagree regarding your beliefs regarding Destiny 2 affect on the MMO genre.  Destiny 2 may be a great game and will be highly successful, but in my opinion it's benefit to the MMO genre will have the same impact as Battlefield 1 and Dota 2.  I agree if its highly successful every man and their dog will try and clone it, but just like MOBA's it will be it's own sub-genre.  If you love shooters you're going to be in shooter heaven, but the affect on more traditional MMO's is going to be (IMO) minimal at best.  Bill already mentioned in his article that game studios are distancing themselves from the MMO, WoW type of tag, so I honestly cannot see them suddenly deciding to make a fantasy based MMO due to Destiny 2 being a success.
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Tiller said:

MMORPG

Ah, but the devil's in the details, especially the first two letters, "Massively Multiplayer". 

What exactly does this mean?  Back when this site started, it meant at least 500 players in a single persistent game world.

Based on this criteria, I suspect Destiny 1 and 2 don't measure up.

If one "authority" who no longer supports their own definition doesn't convince you, we can look at historical trends when the genre first came out. 

Pretty much every MMOPRG starting with UO (maybe Meridian 59?) could support at least 500 or more players in a single server, I recall playing DAOC back in 2001 on servers with 1000 to 2500 online at any given time.

Lineage 1 and 2, Shadowbane, WOW, LOTRO, just the "MMO's" I played and every one met the above "standard" (which likely was originally created based on observation of the games within the genre.)

Now days apparently 20 players counts as massively, or if 1000 players can stand in a lobby to then depart in a group of 5 it's again "massive?" O.o

All part of the "newspeak" we're increasingly subjected to. 

So no, the qualification is not based on some "hipster" or personal definition, but rather long standing characteristics and agreements to what is and is not a MMO. 

Sure, people for many years now have been trying to "change" the definition, but screw it, a dog is still a dog, a cat still a cat, and I'm not going to call a CORPG (another brilliant term by the Anet folks) a MMO.

Being right lets you sit very high up on your high horse.  B)

The phrase "massively multiplayer" in that definition is defined as "interacting with a large number of players". That is clearly defined according to Random House. That happens in the hubs in the case of Destiny and GW.

The anecdotal examples you provide in the body of your post don't contradict that definition even if you choose to imply those numbers mean something else.

You haven't proven or more importantly disproven the premise that the definition clearly defines massively multiplayer clearly.

masterful stroke of "Blackwhite"

Ignore the clear examples of almost every game in the genre created in the first 10 years or more of it's history and point to a model first made popular in 2005 by GW1 who's creators clearly labeled it a CORPG because they understood what they had built with their "lobby" game.

Nothing anecdotal about the evidence in any way.

Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    The phrase "massively multiplayer" in that definition is defined as "interacting with a large number of players". That is clearly defined according to Random House. That happens in the hubs in the case of Destiny and GW.

The anecdotal examples you provide in the body of your post don't contradict that definition even if you choose to imply those numbers mean something else.

You haven't proven or more importantly disproven the premise that the definition clearly defines massively multiplayer clearly.

masterful stroke of "Blackwhite"

Ignore the clear examples of almost every game in the genre created in the first 10 years or more of it's history and point to a model first made popular in 2005 by GW1 who's creators clearly labeled it a CORPG because they understood what they had built with their "lobby" game.

Nothing anecdotal about the evidence in any way.

I'm not saying Destiny is or is not an MMO, BUT @Torval has a valid point, too. Also, if we're being fair, I'm not even sure how many players are supported in modern MMOs. Aren't games like ESO, WS, WoW, etc. broken down into instances, zones, shards, etc. all convening in hubs? I could be wrong, that's an actual literal question. 

From a philosophical question, If Destiny said they supported 1000 players per zone and then load balanced their servers to never put more than 16 per zone, would that make them an MMO? I think it's more than players supported too. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    So we will curb the many complaints about Destiny 1 and hide that behind an argument weather it is mmo or not?

There is a LOT that goes into game design,it takes a LOT of work to make it really good,so i am not about to start praising any developer until i see what they can do.
    To lay claim Destiny 2 is good for the industry before it is even out is like saying Wow was good for the industry even though it kickstarted nothing but clone after clone after clone.

It takes a lot of effort to make a game, a JOURNEY,to create lots of systems and scripts the entire way.
    So let's WAIT and see if they can build a game as good as they advertise.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017
    There is so much WRONG when we get feedback fro ma site that makes money from the developers,it is an extremely biased structure that aims to give gamer's deceptive ideas.
    Point being,this site is not coming back with any criticism that is not minute and carefully worded,they likely even have to form an agreement about what can be said under some nda.

Well actually there 100% will be some kind of kinda agreement,they are not going to allow anyone free willy to spill the beans before they are ready with their marketing campaign.So we are going to get deceptive advertising and not gaming news and exacly what D2 team says we can have.

So head on out to their office,nothing good will come of it for the readers.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    I'm kinda of confused, I thought we might have seen some inside info about the game, content or something, but the only reason it's good for the genre is it will make more money than Destiny 1? What?

Feel there's bit overhype, which you're more than welcome to have, but I can't get behind it. Might be wrong, but this just says to me, "it's coming to PC, we have no idea if the games good or better, but throw money at it, PC yay"
  • Thoth_MosheThoth_Moshe Member UncommonPosts: 240

Recore said:

Destiny was always a mmo. 

It was missing a lot of mmo features
  • Thoth_MosheThoth_Moshe Member UncommonPosts: 240
    edited March 2017
    Destiny is more like Diablo and Guild Wars 1.  No one is calling those an mmo.  Maybe Destiny 2 will be more like an mmo, we will see.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_(video_game)

So I never played it but going by the wiki...

3 player groups, 6 player raids and 12 player pvp.

How is that a MMO?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    All I wanted for destiny has already been promised. it's coming to PC. and yes, it's a MMO
  • RomeoRomeoRomeoRomeo Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Imo, Destiny is definitely an mmo. Not only that, it's one of the best I've ever played. Over the last three years, I have played Destiny with hundreds, literally hundreds of different players. Destiny is one of the most social games out there. From weekly raiding with my guild and with LFG groups, to pvp, to public events like Archon's Forge and Court of Oryx. Man, this game has given me so many memories. Thousands of hours spent busting up aliens with my mates, and even more spent in the tower hunting for that perfect outfit. In the article, Bill said Destiny is the WoW of the consoles and that is true for me. Apart from Witcher 3 and one or two other games, the Destiny disc has barely left my console since I bought it. Thanks for all the memories Destiny, and here's to Destiny 2. See you all there.