Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect Andromeda Isn’t As Bad As You’ve Heard - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageMass Effect Andromeda Isn’t As Bad As You’ve Heard - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

Mass Effect: Andromeda came in hot and landed in a cloud of disappointment… or some would have you believe. Others shout from the hilltops that it’s a failure, as bad as a Mass Effect could possibly be, that it’s the Arkham Origins of the Mass Effect universe. We’ve come to a place where the power of expectation and Twitter group think leads us to believe that a 76 on Metacritic is a failure. This week in the RPG Files, we take a Twitter break and try to see things like they really are.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    I am really enjoying Andromeda at this time, things do tend to get a little repetitive at times, but overall there are a ton of things to do in game and the story isnt half bad either.
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited March 2017
    It's bad and it isn't because of "social politics". A lot of people including me wanted the game to be good and it was supposed to be critically acclaimed. To say it's good and claim that the outcry of the fans of the series that say it's bad are nothing more than naysayers is childish at best.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    edited March 2017
    also please, don't matter what this site says, we know it will be aor a lie because you was paid or is just defending your source of future incomes.

ME:A just for having you spend points on each lvl like in ME1 does not make it closer to it, andromeda is closer to inquisition, with means they are really lacking on the creativity departament, they are incapable of making new things, so the best thing we could hope for it they lose money, and see if that is a wake up call if not, well closing a bussiness is never a bad thing, someone better tend to take the place

Edit: funny too just notice there is tera ads here and next to the andromeda pics, I find kinda strange then the tera ads have better graphics then the andromeda.....
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited March 2017
    It's bad and it isn't because of "social politics". A lot of people including me wanted the game to be good and it was supposed to be critically acclaimed. To say it's good and claim that the outcry of the fans of the series that say it's bad are nothing more than naysayers is childish at best.
    What's childish is acting as though you're the authority on what is good or bad, either is only true in the eye of the beholder. I find it to be a better game which is much more in line with my tastes than any of the past ME games, I don't think that's a universal truth though. Learn to respect others thoughts is what I say. 

There's a reason they set Both DA:I and ME:A outside of their predecessors, they were meant to be different games than what came before, connected in IP only.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited March 2017
    I've played it and I like many, many things about it. It was worth every penny and in the end 8.5 seems like the right score to me. The stories are solid and the combat part is extremely well done.

And yes, there are a lot more than just token tie-ins to the first trilogy. Some of those you only discover late into the game, but they are there.

It's also obvious that there are a few loose ends pointing as clearly to more ME in Andromeda as if they'd ended with "To be continued..."

The interactive epilogue after the credits was also a nice touch. More games should do this.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• venatisvenatis Member UncommonPosts: 42
    No, it's not a bad game, but it's not a great game.

The simple fact is it wasn't ready to be released. Majority of the things in the game are a step back from the previous games for me personally. I don't find the characters as interesting, in fact, I find the side characters more interesting than Peebee, Liam and Cora. Jaal, Drack and Vetra are alright though. The only time I've found interest in Liam is when he's talking to Jaal because they have some funny dialogue. And again, they have some great lines of dialogue scattered around the game, but the writing is just inconsistent.

They created a beautiful world here, no doubt about that. It's just such a shame it feels so lifeless. Even the populated areas feel dead to me. Everyone just stands in the same spot in the strangest stances I've ever seen looking like robots.

The combat is the high point of the game. I do also like Ryder. The way they were written was to show they were inexperienced and it shows. The voice actors I feel are on point for them too, whereas other characters are lacking.

So, no, it's not a bad game. I've played much, much worse. The people who are acting like this is the worst thing to grace gaming are being ridiculous. There is enjoyment to be had. It's just a shame the bugs, AI, animations, inconsistent story and the lifeless world bring it down.

It's not the same quality Mass Effect we got before and that's the problem.
  • n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

"Twitter group think leads us to believe that a 76 on Metacritic is a failure"

This goes in the same context as your review. Look at the user score: 4.7 2056 Ratings

your narrative. your "truth" what you want for us to BELIEVE : 21 Critics, outlets, = 76

Let me do a clap.....

*clap*
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Distopia said:
    What's childish is acting as though you're the authority on what is good or bad, either is only true in the eye of the beholder. I find it to be a better game which is much more in line with my tastes than any of the past ME games, I don't think that's a universal truth though. Learn to respect others thoughts is what I say. 

There's a reason they set Both DA:I and ME:A outside of their predecessors, they were meant to be different games than what came before, connected in IP only.
    i feel the same way i was never all that impressed with the original trilogy,i'm enjoying it for what it is.No question the game has many many issues but i wasnt hyped or had crazy expectations,the things i did want they seemed to have done well.
    I wont say you are dishonest but you try so hard to show to your readers you are "objective" reviewers and critics of gamest that you are willing to bend over backward.

Just forget it, there is no such thing. Accept it and people will accept your "opinion".
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Apparently on April 4th they (Bioware) are going to let us know how they are going to fix the game, but as The Know have said, is it too late to save the game, and how much can they actually reasonably fix, certainly not the writing, not unless they are willing to do a 'do over' as was done with FFXIV1.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVD0akqlZfA
  • CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257

Learn to respect others thoughts is what I say.

Say that to the author of the article.
    pantaro said:
    Distopia said:

i feel the same way i was never all that impressed with the original trilogy,i'm enjoying it for what it is.No question the game has many many issues but i wasnt hyped or had crazy expectations,the things i did want they seemed to have done well.
    My biggest problem with the past games is the urgency in the stories hurt RP tremendously IMO as it made wanting to explore and investigate environments make no sense (not that there was much to explore in them anyway), I don't feel that in ME:A. The set up feels much more in line with what I want in a space RPG, exploring/discovering, etc..The open world environments just adds to that fulfillment. 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Phry said:
    Apparently on April 4th they (Bioware) are going to let us know how they are going to fix the game, but as The Know have said, is it too late to save the game, and how much can they actually reasonably fix, certainly not the writing, not unless they are willing to do a 'do over' as was done with FFXIV1.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVD0akqlZfA

I agree that the writing can't really be saved. That's kinda shitty. I mean I'm playing through Horizon right now on PS4 and the animations are pretty much universally horrible. However, the story itself is pretty good, so all is forgiven. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

This goes in the same context as your review. Look at the user score: 4.7 2056 Ratings

your narrative. your "truth" what you want for us to BELIEVE : 21 Critics, outlets, = 76

Let me do a clap.....

*clap*
    You actually put a bunch of trolls who give the game a 0 or a 1 on the same level of relevance as people who do extended reviews explaining what they liked and didn't like?

Yeah I get that real reviews take time to read and the user "reviews" are more like tweets that may be more in your comfort zone, but give your head a shake, you're talking about two totally different things.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited March 2017
    Cygi said:

Learn to respect others thoughts is what I say.

Say that to the author of the article.
    That would be redundant, as that was for all to take into consideration...

Iselin said:

Let me do a clap.....

*clap*

You actually put a bunch of trolls who give the game a 0 or a 1 on the same level of relevance as people who do extended reviews explaining what they liked and didn't like?

Yeah I get that real reviews take time to read and the user "reviews" are more like tweets that may be more in your comfort zone, but give your head a shake, you're talking about two totally different things.

people who dont like the game = trolls

great logic dude ... another *clap* for you.
  • TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    I'm one of those gamers who hasn't bought it because of the word of mouth says that its a failure.

I tend to not listen to video games critics, because the reality is, they are not critics, they're the biggest fans and gamers out there. They love games so much, and love the developers that make them, that they'll never be able to give a honest and objective reviews, even though that say otherwise. Most "critics" get review copies for free, and even that skews your perspective. I prefer to read user reviews from people who have limited gaming budgets to help me find how best to spend my money on entertainment.

Iselin said:

Let me do a clap.....

*clap*

No, people who have played the game and rate it low are not trolls. Asshats who have never played it, give it a 0 or 1 and have some mention of SJW or Manveer Heir are.

And BTW, no fucks are given for your claps.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:

Iselin said:

Let me do a clap.....

*clap*

No, people who have played the game and rate it low are not trolls. Asshats who have never played it, give it a 0 or 1 and have some mention of SJW or Manveer Heir are.

... and presumably you are the one that decides who is who, knows even if they played the game or not ... well damn dude, you must be a god! 

LOL

and.... *clap*  :p
    Iselin said:

Iselin said:

Let me do a clap.....

*clap*

... and presumably you are the one that decides who is who, knows even if they played the game or not ... well damn dude, you must be a god! 

LOL

Yeah I decide for myself what I like... who decides for you?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Iselin said:

Iselin said:

Let me do a clap.....

*clap*

Those that do mention that person however, are just supplying the reasons why certain aspects of the game are sub par, as for the scorings, i think the bigger problem in that respect is the game reviews that are flooding youtube etc. that highlight the games inadequacies, they also point out which parts of the game are actually good.
    If it was just people who had never played the game etc. you can be very sure that Bioware would not be taking the criticism of the game seriously and be working on fixing some of those issues, there will be more on that on April 4th when Bioware plan to let players know what measures they will be implementing to address players criticisms.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    I like the game but am having a hell of a time getting through Hoval planet.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

Iselin said:

Let me do a clap.....

*clap*

LOL

Yeah I decide for myself what I like... who decides for you?
    See  I stated facts:  76 critics  from outlets vs 2000 user critics. you stated your opinion and you replied to my post. So it was pretty simple for me. I am not sure what facts do you have about your "trolls" and people that "didnt play the game".
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    edited March 2017
    Getting comparisons to DA:I is bad enough to convince me to stay away.  I can't recall a game where I was more hoodwinked by pro reviews than DA:I, and I'm not in the market to find a game that breaks that record.
    Elsabolts said:
    I like the game but am having a hell of a time getting through Hoval planet.
    It was my least favorite planet: dark, cramped, no use of the nomad and a lot of just trying to figure out how to get there from here with large remnant structures in the way.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED