Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta Review - It's Rough, But There's Potential - Revelation Online Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageOpen Beta Review - It's Rough, But There's Potential - Revelation Online Review - MMORPG.com

It’s been the normal mode of business for free to play MMOs to have an Open Beta that’s essentially a soft launch. Most of the time things are pretty much done by the time Open Beta rolls around and the devs are just polishing and making sure their infrastructure can handle everything. This is not the case for Revelation Online.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    A 7 / 10 is also about where I would put it. 

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    DMKano said:
    The game is a design mess of systems that all seemed thrown together with little thought.

Kind of like going to japanese/italian/mexican buffet - lots of variety but when put togethet its quite awful.
    Now I have a craving for a sushi taco with meatballs on the side.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I think that score is way too generous. A 7 would be above average assuming a 5 or 6 is average. There is no way this game is above average.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I call it Feature Vomit Online. Lots of gameplay mechanics and features randomly thrown together to become an annoying incoherent mess. This game actively annoys me which is quite a feat of itself...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    New update  =)

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    The spam is out of control and it doesn't seem like they care. Their reporting system is broken (bouncing reports) so they aren't going to be notified of new spammers. That's keeping me away from the game more than anything else right now.
  • drc721drc721 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited March 2017
    You really left out...the fact countless players have been banned undeservedly and the customer support has yet to address it. Huge story. Oh yeah going on 2 weeks this has been happening.
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    I'd give this game 3/10 and even then I'm being generous.
  • ScarranScarran Member UncommonPosts: 102
    I have to agree that 7 is a bit generous. Played the game and for me it was a mess and felt like there was no cohesion.

I would give it a 5 at most as it is a bang average game.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    You gave this a 7?
    Honestly, if you regard this level of gaming as just 3 points away from perfect then please do not bother with any more reviews.
    You may just as well pick a number out of a lucky dip bag and use that - it would have the same degree of reality.
  • AzukaeAzukae Member UncommonPosts: 14

drc721 said:

You really left out...the fact countless players have been banned undeservedly and the customer support has yet to address it. Huge story.

Oh yeah going on 2 weeks this has been happening.

What do you mean by undeservedly ban ?
    I mean, post a virustotal scan of their files on their forum should be a fully deserved ban, doesn't it ?
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2017
    7/10 is pretty fair. They devs should've showed restraint on the quests and my.com's localization is still pretty bad given how much time they had. Of course if there were half as many quests, they might've got it done faster, I suppose. I just really hope it doesn't shut down later this year. Quite a few released and shut down all before the year was over last year.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    I was kinda excited for this game... and then I wasn't. =-)
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    i'm more worried with you adressing a MMO with story, a MMO should never be the main focus story, 7? only if was 7/20

questing its been a long time I just accept quests without reading (translation is really lacking even worse then age of wushu when it launched), game is not complete yet, everything looks like it was rushed to they launch(a 2 year old game with worse graphics then aion yeah .... even age of wushu have better)

also the pay for power, ITS A CHINESE MMO expect paying for power part of the game, even a chinese player mentioned that on they forums saying ti part of they culture to pay for it, for the merit to be powerfull(and from all chinese games I played was always there)

if you want to play something new its ok go for it, but expect 3 things you will grind like hell be pvp/pve gear or crafting, things in the future will be extremely annoying if you don't spend a lot, the game will never get as good as the ones who was over hyped by the game and was trying to make everyone they know to play it(black desert all over again)

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    DMKano said:
    The game is a design mess of systems that all seemed thrown together with little thought.

Kind of like going to japanese/italian/mexican buffet - lots of variety but when put togethet its quite awful.
    Epic @DMKano post is Epic!
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Ruh Roh... they used the "P" word...
  • YoofaloofYoofaloof Member UncommonPosts: 217
    It's ok, but I went to make a cup of tea at level 4, came back and found I was level 20.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    The game that finally made me hate MMOs.

If this is in any way a direction that this sad genre is heading. Its beyond repulsive.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,821

Robsolf said:

Ruh Roh... they used the "P" word...

Yeah, the term ".... but it's got potential" is pretty much the kiss of death for MMOs.
  • molepeopomolepeopo Member UncommonPosts: 40

Aori said:

Your Score is wonky. Fun starting at high level is definitely not a pro. This for me is a massive con. I also don't view extensive daily quests as a pro either but that be subjective.

Either way the initial starting experience is pure trash and is no way overwhelming, it is underwhelming. The UI is also the most cluttered crap I've seen in awhile.

i have to agree with this guy to be honest. Why should we have to wait untill the end to have fun?
  • slowz2secretslowz2secret Member RarePosts: 400
    already pay to win, plague of bots, random account hacks, bad support, yes this is the wort game ever in open beta.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Six classes. I didn't even get past that and look at the cash shop or gameplay, when you release a game in 2017 with only six classes you drum up about as much interest as this post expresses. Pretty much none.

Feels like they are not even trying.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017
    start on roadside,walk from point A to Point B following the yellow markers ....LEVEL 2 !!!

CYA BYE,..thanks for wasting my time.
    If the developer can't put any effort int othe starting experience,they deserve a 0/10,the first 10 minutes is the most important part of gaming and they failed badly.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    I would put the game around a 5.5/6 atm with the potential to be decently higher. Then again most mmos launched recently I would give a similar or lower score.

I disagree with fun start at high level as being a plus.

I also disagree with the guild aspect at least to lvl 59, besides capturing castles, and some character progression and solo quest linked to guilds I have seen no real benefit of being in a guild. Yea you have to be in a guild to do these things.... but at least so far 95% of guild stuff is solo which is not really guild content. Dungeons can be pugged, so no real need to do them in guilds. Maby this changes at cap... but have not seen it so far.

The worst thing about this game is the p2w aspect of and overwhelming number of bots and rmt. It is to the point of absurdity. All the starting harvesting nodes are camped by rmt bots named asnboiuvdashvgiu or something simliar and the top guilds were all at 115k+ gs at the end of the first week.. which is not possible to farm that much gold in a week in game... so groups of people are already buying power. People bragging about dropping $500-1000 into the game.... and their gear score is literally about as high as you can get it atm because of it... which is complete BS to the highest level. The p2w is Archeage on steroids atm. Which is putting everyone else who is not dropping paychecks into the game at a huge disadvantage.

I will also add the game is based on dailies... this is a big negative to me at least. I do not really know many ppl who log into a mmo and say "Woohoo I get to do my dailies again!" Good thing is the amount to do lessens this impact some, the dailies after a week are monotonous.

The game has good potential I will agree, But the cons are mountainous. Game is in beta still, sorta, so I will wait to pass final judgement when I see what content is added and if they fix some of the rmt/p2w aspects of the game.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Revelation Online gets a solid: Meh out of Meh.

Joined - July 2004