Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Like It or Not, Destiny 2 is Good for the MMO Genre - Bill Murphy at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageLike It or Not, Destiny 2 is Good for the MMO Genre - Bill Murphy at MMORPG.com

Destiny 2 is coming to PC. Praise be to RNGeezus, it’s true. While the “Persistent Online Shooter” does everything it can to avoid the term MMO, truth is they’ve invited us (a site mainly focused on MMOs) out to their studio on several occasions. Acronym or not, even Bungie realizes the game’s draw for fans of the genre. With the sequel now officially launching on the PC September 8th, Destiny 2 has become the bright spot on the MMO gamer’s horizon.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    since when is destiniy a MMO also then firefly and warframe would be MMOs too. MMOS are dead until VR takes place.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    edited March 2017
    Calling it THE bright spot is a little "bought and paid for". Did I preorder? I have the bobblehead in front of me. Is it THE only good thing coming up? Lol hell no. Pantheon has probably caught more MMO gamer attention, maybe crowfall; a few other titles too...And they're actual MMOs. Your blurb has the legitimacy of someone praising Nickleback's songwriting.
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Calling it THE bright spot is a little "bought and paid for". Did I preorder? I have the bobblehead in front of me. Is it THE only good thing coming up? Lol hell no. Pantheon has probably caught more MMO gamer attention, maybe crowfall; a few other titles too...And they're actual MMOs.

Your blurb has the legitimacy of someone praising Nickleback's songwriting.

Pantheon is not AAA. This is about AAA titles in development. If you read, I go further to praise Pantheon and other Indies. But they don't have the weight a AAA title does at influencing market trends.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Too early to call it whether the game will be good for the genre or not, first it has to be a success, lot of crossed fingers on that as the game is not a shoo-in for success, just look at Titanfall 2. :o
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Haha @BillMurphy I knew you'd write this article when I saw your comment the other day. Good one. <3
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Destiny had the potential to be something truly great but a few minor flaws turned out to be glaring issues. If they tweak those, this could be really good.
  • whiteheartxwhiteheartx Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Just because you and some other mediocre sites feel like it's an mmo doesn't make it one. Bungie has said time after time that it is not an mmo, it just has mmo elements. So why exactly is a non-mmo good for the mmo genre?
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Just because you and some other mediocre sites feel like it's an mmo doesn't make it one. Bungie has said time after time that it is not an mmo, it just has mmo elements. So why exactly is a non-mmo good for the mmo genre?
    Proving you didn't read the article. Go do that and then present  your arguments instead of insults. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited March 2017
    I consider Destiny every bit an MMO as I did the original Guild Wars.

I don't think lobby games are necessarily excluded from the genre. I think Bungie just wants to distance itself from the label because then it gets lumped in with the likes of WoW and Lineage, and that is clearly not their target audience. The only thing I find concerning about all of this, was the original Destiny was a long-term project. Didn't Bungie say something like a 10 year lifecycle for the game? Now maybe they will continue to support it (like EQ is still supported today, despite EQ2), and I think, in my opinion, 2.0 will all but kill 1.0 and that all development on that will stop. But we will see.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Destiny was always a mmo. 
    @SBFord I actually did and he said it was an mmo so what exactly are you talking about? I'm not insulting anything, I'm stating the fact that it is not an mmo which the creators of the game have even said.
  • garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284
    Destiny is 100% an MMO and was designed that way from the beginning. It is instanced out purposefully to fit players so you are never alone. Hosting off the central hub system where players interacted and having PvP separated out into its own arena zones...honestly, the game is more MMO than you realize. Just because it is not one giant open world, it hosts large groups of players in zones throughout the game. Lots of MMOs have gone this route over the years as it is just easier to manage your player base and not have latency issues. Console game play had to be fast paced and smooth, so breaking it out made sense. Destiny and Destiny 2 are shooter MMOs. All Bungie said was they did not want the game categorized into one genre.
    Phixion13
     :p 
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    To the no sayers??!! :P 

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Destiny 1 is an MMO-FPS, as least in my book. So Destiny 2 probably also will be one. It's really hard to find any concrete info about Destiny 2 and why it's different compared to 1 other than that it will be available on PC.
    So being an MMO-FPS and, ok, being released on PC, but why should that be in any way be good for the MMO genre ? And it definately is bringing nothing new to the MMORPG genre, which is the one I am interested in. At least nothing we know about yet.

P.S. I really read your article, maybe I just didn't get the point. ;)
    You can think it's an mmo all you want but there's a reason Bungie, every wiki site, the game box, hundreds of posts including ones from mmorpg.com staff have said it's not and given reasons as to why it's not. Planetside 2 is an mmofps, Destiny is just a shared world shooter with mmo elements just like Bungie has called it.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    @SBFord I actually did and he said it was an mmo so what exactly are you talking about? I'm not insulting anything, I'm stating the fact that it is not an mmo which the creators of the game have even said.

Actually, just because the developer is saying it isn't doesn't mean it isn't. Ubisoft promoted The Division as an MMO for quite a while before they seem to have backed off from that stance. Fact is it's not a flattering term. 

Try to explain to someone how MMOs aren't a grind and try to keep a straight face. Shoot, try working WoW into a gaming conversation and see how people look at you. The stigma was worse a decade ago, but it still lingers today. 

Just because I tell you that a dog isn't a dog, it's a cat, doesn't magically make it a cat. Destiny had, effectively, all the components that you would expect from an MMO, minus the massive scale, possibly, and the social tools. DESPITE not having social tools, which you might think would gimp an MMO, there ended up being community tools like DestinyLFG which popped up and STILL get thousands of LFG requests on an hourly basis 2 years after the initial release. 
    Phixion13

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Good article. Whether it can officially be labeled an "MMO" or not, I still can't wait to finally play Destiny on PC!
    --------------------------------------------
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    Man I really hope we won't have to load to a simple map that shouldn't have to be loaded to, just to load to where we want to go. I like Destiny, but every time I have to load to orbit before I can load to where I really want to go I just want to choke someone. Preferably the person that thought that would be a good idea to make the game more enjoyable.

How did that conversation go?

Developer 1: "Ok, so we need a way for people to choose to go to new locations. Any ideas?"

Developer 2: "Hmm, well many games before this has a map that you can open up where you are, click on a location and then you can go to that location directly. Maybe as the player loads their chosen location we do a quick animation of beaming to their ship and the ship briefly flying."

Developer 1: "Yeah, that's not bad. But what would be even better is instead of being able to open that map and choose where to go we first make the player load for 20 seconds to another location that has no other function except to choose where to go!"

Developer 2: "Ummm... so you want to force the players to wait 20 seconds to do nothing but choose where to go so they have to wait another 20 seconds?"

Developer 1: "Great, it's decided!"
    edited March 2017
    @CrazKanuk Ubisoft never said it was an mmo. I followed the game since the E3 reveal until the release. Ubisoft said it was an open world TPS game with mmo elements. You said it's an mmo minus key features mmos possess already proves that it's not really an mmo..lol

I'm done though, it's getting silly. Call it whatever you like but in reality it was a lackluster game regardless of the genre. Great idea ruined by dlc and shitty devs, the story of many games nowadays.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    Why are people so hung up on labels?

Some people around here spend so much time and effort trying to define what it and what isnt an MMO I dont think they actually play them anymore.

Whether its a Persistent Online Shooter or a MMORPG doesnt matter. What matters is the people playing it and there will be overlap with shooter players and MMO players with a game like Destiny.

But, Destiny 1 was very popular despite the many many flaws it launched with. If Bungie can take the opportunity afforded them with a sequel to outright change some of the more problematic systems for the better then Destiny 2 could firmly entrench itself as a major force among MMO players.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    @CrazKanuk Ubisoft never said it was an mmo. I followed the game since the E3 reveal until the release. Ubisoft said it was an open world TPS game with mmo elements. You said it's an mmo minus key features mmos possess already proves that it's not really an mmo..lol

I'm done though, it's getting silly. Call it whatever you like but in reality it was a lackluster game regardless of the genre. Great idea ruined by dlc and shitty devs, the story of many games nowadays.

I never said it was missing MMO features. Unless we're not considering LFG as a key MMO feature. I know there are plenty who would like to do away with LFG, though. Also, I brought up massive as it's always contentious, not because it wasn't massive. It was massively popular. How many players were actually in any given instance? I don't know. For some reason I think it's 16 per map, so hundreds throughout the world? Could be more massive that some MMORPGs even with 16 concurrent users :) 

Just saying. 

I know plenty thought it was lackluster and some felt like the DLC should have all been included but, in the end, it was really no different than paying $60 plus $15 a month. They just figured out how to get you to pay a subscription in a more creative way :) When I say "you" I'm obviously not talking about you specifically, since you obviously weren't a fan, but the collective "you" as in the millions who did/are playing it. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

Calling it THE bright spot is a little "bought and paid for". Did I preorder? I have the bobblehead in front of me. Is it THE only good thing coming up? Lol hell no. Pantheon has probably caught more MMO gamer attention, maybe crowfall; a few other titles too...And they're actual MMOs.

Your blurb has the legitimacy of someone praising Nickleback's songwriting.

Pantheon is not AAA. This is about AAA titles in development. If you read, I go further to praise Pantheon and other Indies. But they don't have the weight a AAA title does at influencing market trends.

Lol fuck market trends. Look at the spin down the shitter wow caused.

No matter how you gift wrap your bias their link to your wallet is glowing
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Yeah, as Mom always said, if everyone jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?

Apparently some would.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    MMO is so 2000. It's a shared world FPS.... get with the program SWRPG.COM :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED