Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you open most articles off the main page?

NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
I come here mostly to learn about MMOs, its why I have been here for 10 years plus. I get the changes is to keep this site going and keep everyone employed but I find with the heavy onslaught of gaming information being posted, it takes to much to figure out what article is about upcoming MMOs. I read 1/2 an article just to find out if the game is a MOG, FPS, RPG and so on. Sometimes the article does not make it clear what type of game it is at all. So I end up googling the name of the game to find out if its a type of game I want to read up on. 

Would anyone else like to see each article labeled in some way as to the type of game it is? Maybe a color code. All MMO articles have a purple border/header. All MOBAS have green. Something that helps fans of types of games find what they are looking for. Because at this point I have stopped clicking on most articles and stick to the forums. As I find it cumbersome. Am I alone on this? Would anyone else like to see the a clear labeling system? Is there changes you would like to see?  I post this only as a fan of this site, because I want to see MMORPG.COM to have another great 10 years.

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    They've mentioned that they'll be moving a lot of the non-mmo content over to GameSpace.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    While that sounds like a reasonable idea I can see one potential problem. Single player games is no problem to label as such but the MMO's will be another story. Just today Bill clearly stated that he belives Destiny and more specifically Destiny 2 is an MMO, which it isn't.

When the staff working at MMORPG.COM - including the editor, the man in charge - can't even distinguish a multiplayer game from a Massively Multiplayer game, asking them to clearly label articles by genre could be a problem.

I don't read most of the articles, just the ones about MMO's I have an interest in, which at this point in time is very few.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Forgrimm said:
    They've mentioned that they'll be moving a lot of the non-mmo content over to GameSpace.
    This, though there will be a few remnants of things with ties to MMOs, though fewer over time. Also, the names of the games on the main page news feed are at the bottom of the introductory paragraph making it easier to know what the game is and whether it's interesting to you or not. 

But, as @Forgrimm said, over time, most non-MMO content will be dropping off to GameSpace once we've established a viable community over there.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    IMO even if I dont agree what they call a MMO, having them labeled would help allot. At this point I am sick of googling names of games to find out if I want to read an article. Few miss labeled I can handle. 
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Nanfoodle said:
    IMO even if I dont agree what they call a MMO, having them labeled would help allot. At this point I am sick of googling names of games to find out if I want to read an article. Few miss labeled I can handle. 
    We can always see if @meddle can pull the "genre" into the info next to the name. Tagging him.

As for "what's an MMO and what's not". We need to get past narrow definitions of this term. If you can't, that's fine. But as a site and as a fan, we have to. Otherwise we'd be covering about 10 games and countless Asian imports only.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Nanfoodle said:
    We can always see if @meddle can pull the "genre" into the info next to the name. Tagging him.

As for "what's an MMO and what's not". We need to get past narrow definitions of this term. If you can't, that's fine. But as a site and as a fan, we have to. Otherwise we'd be covering about 10 games and countless Asian imports only.
    To be honest IMO any game that has a massive world where you can play as a team. Is an MMO. So I am in your corner. If you guys started labeling things I would be a happy camper and you would get many more clicks from me =-)
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I look at it this way, we could focus on our own preferences (EX "I only wanna read about MMOs") or focus on the fact the site has to cover enough things to keep a certain level of traffic. The first option leads to limited coverage, repetitive coverage, as well as dwindling traffic. If this site goes away I for one would give up following gaming websites all together as it's really the only one I visit regularly. I have no interest in the others at all TBH. Option two is my choice...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

To be honest IMO any game that has a massive world where you can play as a team. Is an MMO. So I am in your corner. If you guys started labeling things I would be a happy camper and you would get many more clicks from me =-)
    Well, except the definition of MMO has nothing to do with it having a massive world, and all about the number of players within a persistent world.  Regardless how often people say the distinction is unimportant the definition does not change.

You can stretch it a bit saying a game with a massive lobby and a sharded game world such as the new TSW release is a MMO, but you can't claim a game with 100 or less people in a world regardless of size is a MMO. (as is often done with Survival games these days)

Since the site's argument is "we need something to cover" no reason for labels, or for moving content over to another site really, which seems would lead to this site's extinction if left to focus only on MMOs and psuedo MMO's.

BTW, I think the site could have gone a different route, offer far more in-depth coverage of existing MMORPG's already released (there's literally hundreds) along with new release coverage, instead of basically just republishing news which comes off "the wire" which of course is focused only on what's "New"

As it stands now, often we read of "news" about existing MMO's long after it has been revealed, or from other sources and are told here, "well, they didn't send us anything, so we didn't know"

Is OK, gives me a reason to visit other sites for news from time to time.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Distopia said:
    I look at it this way, we could focus on our own preferences (EX "I only wanna read about MMOs") or focus on the fact the site has to cover enough things to keep a certain level of traffic. The first option leads to limited coverage, repetitive coverage, as well as dwindling traffic. If this site goes away I for one would give up following gaming websites all together as it's really the only one I visit regularly. I have no interest in the others at all TBH. Option two is my choice...
    I agree, I rather they have all the gaming info here on this site as well. I just want to see things labeled. So I can find what I want to read at a quick glance. 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited March 2017
    Nanfoodle said:
    Distopia said:
    I agree, I rather they have all the gaming info here on this site as well. I just want to see things labeled. So I can find what I want to read at a quick glance. 
    Be sure to write @meddle as @billmurphy mentioned with the suggestion for labels. I'm sure there's something he can work out.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I've never, ever visited the front page.  I always come straight to this forum.
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

I always hit the front page first.  See what everyone is talking about and to see the news articles ;).  I understand why you guys are splitting things up but I have always loved that you covered other things as well ;).  Now I will be FORCED to go to 2 different sites ;D.

Beyorn said:

I always hit the front page first.  See what everyone is talking about and to see the news articles ;).  I understand why you guys are splitting things up but I have always loved that you covered other things as well ;).  Now I will be FORCED to go to 2 different sites ;D.

Ya I would rather they kept everything here as well. There is the odd game other then MMOs I like to read up on. 
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I only visit the mainpage to see what giveaways i have missed and which keys i can now buy on ebay from the 1 post folks.

While that sounds like a reasonable idea I can see one potential problem. Single player games is no problem to label as such but the MMO's will be another story. Just today Bill clearly stated that he belives Destiny and more specifically Destiny 2 is an MMO, which it isn't.

When the staff working at MMORPG.COM - including the editor, the man in charge - can't even distinguish a multiplayer game from a Massively Multiplayer game, asking them to clearly label articles by genre could be a problem.

I don't read most of the articles, just the ones about MMO's I have an interest in, which at this point in time is very few.
    As to the genres etc...i said it many times: on this website every game that generates clicks is a "MMO". It is what it is and i've seen that countless times with many games over the years.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I always hit the home page first. I enjoy reading the features about games I've either played or am interested in for the future. Sadly, there isn't much I'm interested for the future, and coverage of games I used to play is extremely limited, so there isn't much to read. 

After the features, then I hit the forums. 

Admittedly, I almost never read the news section of the site. The few times I've been there it's had very little of interest, mainly just short bits of info plus a link elsewhere. A tagging system may help, but content is king. 

Once I'm done with the features and forums here, I do tend to head over to MOP for more news. They always seem to have more of it and better presented, but again, I'm mainly interested in their proper columns and featured. I particularly like their Massively Overthinking column and MMO Mechanics column. Luckily, MOP doesn't have a forum, otherwise I'd probably leave this site, but I love the forum here.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    What is MOP camel ?

I check this site several times a day but my history is never saved so most times I am not logged in even if I may check this site ten times a day and I usually go to front page and read what's there before making my way to recent discussions.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    kitarad said:
    What is MOP camel ?

I check this site several times a day but my history is never saved so most times I am not logged in even if I may check this site ten times a day and I usually go to front page and read what's there before making my way to recent discussions.
    http://massivelyop.com/

It's basically the same as this site, but with a modern look to it. They have more articles / features, but no forums. A comments section for an article just isn't good enough for me, I like these long running discussions.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    BillMurphy said:

We need to get past narrow definitions of this term. 
    I go by Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart's famous quote:

"I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description, and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it ...."

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests