Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is why you don't use Best Buy...

RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
If you thought I was paranoid because of Xing Code & Game Guard installing itself without permission...

Imagine Geek Squad, keeping a copy of all your personal files, and sharing information without your consent including "Music" that hasn't been legally downloaded, movies, or games, even if its just one song they report it to the FBI, and search your stuff without permission?

http://www.ibtimes.com/best-buys-geek-squad-fbi-more-connected-previously-suspected-2506335

I wouldn't even put it past the employee hiding files on a users computer then reporting them to the FBI with false evidence just to get free money.

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited March 2017
    Oh and get this "Geek Squad" doesn't know the difference between a WD Green Hard Drive & A WD Black Hard Drive lol... 

I asked them in store they said I don't know what the difference is doesn't it say on the box, nope...

Wan't it done right, and your piece of mind build it yourself.\

http://imgur.com/a/TGL8v  hahaha Geek Squad admit to me they keep a copy of your personal information.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited March 2017
    @Renoaku that's was strange a little bit :)

LOL Yeah exactly the thing I question I hit up their Live chat, and they told me they keep a copy of your hard-drive, whenever you take it in for repair, so basically all your personal data, any passwords or data you have saved now becomes their property as well?

Obviously I would expect anyone who sees things like Child P**** to report it to the police / FBI, like in that news article, but to openly go searching peoples files for "Cracked Games" "Music" or copyrighted content simply to report it, and openly admitting to keeping a copy of peoples files is beyond me... 

If this is true this could be one heck of an easy way to steal a persons personal information, commit fraud or other illegal crimes, lets say some people who use password remember software, and such to login to services, wouldn't be that hard to get hold of someones PayPal account for example, and turn that into Bit Coin, quickly launder it around and PayPal for example there are many connect to a persons Real World bank account so someone would be out of a lot of money, obviously money can be printed but still...

Honestly I am glad I really don't take my computer into anyone to service it, let alone Vehicle, or other devices, heck I hate even letting other people wire my home simply because they can't do it right the way I would lol.
  • christianjosephchristianjoseph Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I do not really let my laptop to be repaired by anyone since I am very cautious on private secrecy most specially my Paypal and other online banking accounts. Actually, I am afraid of frauds and other scams since nowadays people tend to manipulate other people so that they can get more money out from him/her.