Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some hopes

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Loke666 said:
    The real problem with maps is that they always show where you are in RPGs, I think you still could keep the map and have the world feels just as real as long as you got rid of that part.
    With a good map, a reliable compass, and a straight edge I can locate myself within a small triangle of error in a few minutes.  Comparing the ground to the map I can improve my sense of were I am. I could do this at age 11, why should it be harder in a computer game?

EDIT: For the benefit of the young, this was 50+ years ago and no GPS was involved. In latter life I learned to use charts and a sextant too.
    Someone was a Boy Scout I think, at least that's where and when I learned orienteering.

Weird thing is, in the real world I have an uncanny sense of direction and always find my way even when given little to start out with.

I have a very solid sense of spatial awareness in RL situations but put me in a game world or worse a dungeon I am almost totally disoriented, no Idea why.

In DAOC I've gone in every dungeon many times, and DF hundreds of times from every realm.

Even tabbing to a map I still struggle. :(

Weird.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    deniter said:
    Daft said:
    I was playing p1999 the other day and I came to the realization that, Everquest is the only MMO that I dont have my face planted in a map. I think not having a map made EQ feel like a real world to me. I didnt realize it at the time but i do now. I respect the fact that I can get on p1999 and know where im going like I was in my own city. My point is that If pantheon adds a M button, I really hope it just brings a plain map up but doesn't show your location.

I read someplace that they are using EQ classic combat. I loved getting duel wield, and double attack. I liked that when i got those skills i sucked at them, then I got better with use. Same with magic and fizzles .

Last but not least. My favorite part of everquest was twinking!  I understand some stuff having level restrictions, but I really hope we get twinking back with pantheon.

IM Drunk

Drunk or not, it's a good idea !

I can't wait to see a large amount of young people embracing this game too :)
    Most young people have the attention span of a gnat.  You are living in a delusion if you think they'll be coming in legions for this game.  I want this game to get made and I will try it.  But you need to get a reality check and realize this game will be niche at best.

To be honest, most young people don't play MMOs or RPGs in general even if they played some form of video games.

We're not trying to break records here, just waiting for a nice game for those who play MMOs and still think the RPG part should be included in MMORPG.
    I think what you meant is that young people don't play traditional mmos.  MMOs on consoles, especially newer ones like Destiny and The Division is very populated by younger gamers.  My point was just that this type of mmo is not the next WoW and people like Delete need to stop trying to push that narrative on every Pantheon thread.  Realistic expectations will help this mmo more than fantasy.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited March 2017
    Nanfoodle said:

No, this needs to be a modern MMO. All that stuff needs to be worked out before launch. This is not 1999 when there was no options. Not saying we should have a WoW style auction house but tools for trading with others needs to be in at launch. Voice chat needs to be good to go and VR has already said thats the plan. They have also said they have something to test for a trading system. Just letting players work it out with major systems will not cut it any more.
    Yeah, because those bells and whistles have totally made the last decade of MMOs work. :confounded:

There was never "no options". That's a silly delusion that people continue to push to knock EQ. There was UO, AC, AC2, DAOC, Matrix and half a dozen other titles during EQs time of supremacy.

Does that mean it should be totally bare bones? Of course not. What it means is that not every modern "feature" need be present to succeed. Especially things like maps.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Dullahan said:
    I think a cartography trade where players create more detailed maps the higher level they get would be great. Whatever they do, a player should never have GPS.

I still think no maps is probably the better way to go, and as the OP said, part of why the EQ world felt much more real. You actually had to learn the terrain to find your way around.
    Yeah, unless, of course, you printed out one of the widely available zone maps and used that. Which so many people did of course.

No maps are inevitable, they are far too useful to ignore.

Dullahan said:
    I think a cartography trade where players create more detailed maps the higher level they get would be great. Whatever they do, a player should never have GPS.

I still think no maps is probably the better way to go, and as the OP said, part of why the EQ world felt much more real. You actually had to learn the terrain to find your way around.
    Yeah, unless, of course, you printed out one of the widely available zone maps and used that. Which so many people did of course.

Dullahan said:

The better statement would no or limited in-game maps, with no GPS.

There was never a problem with out of game mapping, if anything it encouraged immersion instead of breaking it. It meant you, as the player, had to actively participate in the mapping process.

GPS? GPS? WTF?

What about a map, a reliable compass, and a straight edge? Don't need no fancy GPS! Navigation was performed for a very long time before the invention of GPS and is entirely consistent with a fantasy setting.
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Dullahan said:

Dullahan said:

Dullahan said:

The better statement would no or limited in-game maps, with no GPS.

There was never a problem with out of game mapping, if anything it encouraged immersion instead of breaking it. It meant you, as the player, had to actively participate in the mapping process.

GPS? GPS? WTF?

What about a map, a reliable compass, and a straight edge? Don't need no fancy GPS! Navigation was performed for a very long time before the invention of GPS and is entirely consistent with a fantasy setting.

An out of game map or limited in-game maps still allow for that.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    How about a blade of grass and the sun,i have been doing that since i was 5 ...lol

Ok that was sarcasm...sorry.
    If Brad sticks to his word and makes a game "that makes sense" i am sure i will enjoy it.That is a major turn off for me in games,if every 15 seconds i am looking at a design that bothers me,in a way that yellow markers over npc heads has bothered me since forever.

Immersive wold...makes sense..good to go.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Loke666 said:
    The real problem with maps is that they always show where you are in RPGs, I think you still could keep the map and have the world feels just as real as long as you got rid of that part.
    With a good map, a reliable compass, and a straight edge I can locate myself within a small triangle of error in a few minutes.  Comparing the ground to the map I can improve my sense of were I am. I could do this at age 11, why should it be harder in a computer game?

EDIT: For the benefit of the young, this was 50+ years ago and no GPS was involved. In latter life I learned to use charts and a sextant too.
    My thoughts exactly...

Seems like you learned everything but to navigate by stars and a sunstone then. :)  
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Even Project: Gorgon was smart enough to include some sort of map....just saying :)
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    It would really only makes sense to have no maps if it's uncharted territory, at least from an RP perspective. If there are people there are maps that is just the way things are. They don't have to give you a UI map from the start, yet IMO there should at least be a vendor of some sort that sells them. Loot drops is another option for them. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited March 2017
    I loved the old school days when the only map you had, was the physical one that came with the game.

I'd like to see a map that looks hand drawn and starts very vaguely. As you explore the world it fills in more detail of the places you have been. No GPS

You can't stop people from looking things up on the net, but that shouldn't stop developers from creating that immersive experience, for the ones that want to discover things the old fashioned way. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    laserit said:
    I loved the old school days when the only map you had, was the physical one that came with the game.

I'd like to see a map that looks hand drawn and starts very vaguely. As you explore the world it fills in more detail of the places you have been. No GPS

You can't stop people from looking things up on the net, but that shouldn't stop developers from creating that immersive experience, for the ones that want to discover things the old fashioned way. 
    Thats why I hope its something VR will add. So they can get most people using these types of maps over something like EQ Atlas and if you had some skill that let you add your own detail to the map that would be even better. IMO that would add to the exploring. Your map would become part of the history of that char. Where you have been, what you did there. 
    edited April 2017
    laserit said:

That same principle tied to a mapping or cartography tradeskill would be amazing.

I've proposed this before in other places, but imagine this. The cartographer goes through a low level, less dangerous zone mapping. He or she uses crude tools, basic inks, and cheap parchment to survey the area. The end result is a very generic map, and a few skill points in the Cartography skill. After doing this in low level zones several times, the skill caps for that type of area. To continue gaining skill, the cartographer has to venture out into more dangerous places.

As the cartography skill goes up, they are able to use better tools, better inks or colors, and higher quality parchment (much of which could come from other tradeskills). This allows them to create better maps of zones, including the earlier areas they mapped at lower levels.

Each map would have a material cost, and would become bound to a players mapbook to keep demand for those products. At a high skill level (perhaps max), the cartographer could gain the ability to create a copy of a map, but each copy would be somewhat less exact and pristine than the original. Maps could even fade or degrade after long periods of time, giving players a reason to buy new ones. All of these things give value to the cartography trade.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Dullahan said:
    laserit said:

That same principle tied to a mapping or cartography tradeskill would be amazing.

I've proposed this before in other places, but imagine this. The cartographer goes through a low level, less dangerous zone mapping. He or she uses crude tools, basic inks, and cheap parchment to survey the area. The end result is a very generic map, and a few skill points in the Cartography skill. After doing this in low level zones several times, the skill caps for that type of area. To continue gaining skill, the cartographer has to venture out into more dangerous places.

As the cartography skill goes up, they are able to use better tools, better inks or colors, and higher quality parchment (much of which could come from other tradeskills). This allows them to create better maps of zones, including the earlier areas they mapped at lower levels.

Each map would have a material cost, and would become bound to a players mapbook to keep demand for those products. At a high skill level (perhaps max), the cartographer could gain the ability to create a copy of a map, but each copy would be somewhat less exact and pristine than the original. Maps could even fade or degrade after long periods of time, giving players a reason to buy new ones. All of these things give value to the cartography trade.
    Except .. 6 months after realease every square inch of the land mass will mapped and online for anyone to get for free
    Scorchien said:
    Dullahan said:
    laserit said:

Except .. 6 months after realease every square inch of the land mass will mapped and online for anyone to get for free
    Except, that will require people constantly loading those maps, devoting extra monitors or alt-tabbing rather than simply being able to pull them up in-game using a single hotkey.

Dullahan said:
    Scorchien said:
    Dullahan said:
    laserit said:

Except, that will require people constantly loading those maps, devoting extra monitors or alt-tabbing rather than simply being able to pull them up in-game using a single hotkey.
    Lotsa of gamers have an extar monitor now , just for that , or a laptop or an ipad or a phone for that matter ... I dont see any Smart dev dedicated resources to developing a throw away skill
    edited April 2017
    DMKano said:
    Dullahan said:
    Scorchien said:
    Dullahan said:
    laserit said:

As if this is somehow hard?

Dual displays are common, or heck, just pull up a map on your phone/tablet/laptop.

This is trivial today.
    and Dam , dont make me agree with Kano ........... A part of me dies ....
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Dullahan said:
    laserit said:

This might of been a good idea in 1999.  Today it would be pointless.  There would be an app available for any phone/tablet on launch completely making this skill arbitrary. 
    edited April 2017
    Dullahan said:
    Scorchien said:
    Dullahan said:
    laserit said:

And listen Dullahan , im not trying to piss in your cornflakes i love the idea, just dont think it will stand up on its own , I been playin UO for 20 years , and the feeling of exploration was fantastic and still can be ..

What you need to do is tie the cartography to other activites , like in UO for ex.. Cartography is a must for any Treasure Hunter .. Im certain you can come up with some good addtions to the Cartography to make it a viable and useful skill .. But on its own ... Its has no value ...

In addition i like BM work , and his vision behind Pantheon and have enjoyed reading your thoughts and enthusiasm towards Pantheon .
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Nanfoodle said:
    I would love to see a trade skill everyone can pick up that lets you make a map by exploring a zone to the full. One that VR designs so it gives info but not so much it's over done. If they don't add some map system it will just be a matter of time before someone finds a way to add a functional map. Be it web based or a program that has takes priority and stays the dominant window like most voice chats overlay. 

Fact is all explorers make maps and that's what we are in any MMO like this. We need to be able to make maps and mark on it where the best place to fish is. Where our favorite camp is. This is what explorers do. 
    Fully agree. This is what I loved about Morrowind. 
    edited April 2017
    Scorchien said:

And listen Dullahan , im not trying to piss in your cornflakes i love the idea, just dont think it will stand up on its own , I been playin UO for 20 years , and the feeling of exploration was fantastic and still can be ..

What you need to do is tie the cartography to other activites , like in UO for ex.. Cartography is a must for any Treasure Hunter .. Im certain you can come up with some good addtions to the Cartography to make it a viable and useful skill .. But on its own ... Its has no value ...

In addition i like BM work , and his vision behind Pantheon and have enjoyed reading your thoughts and enthusiasm towards Pantheon .
    I disagree. It's silly to pretend people will not strive to collect the best maps like they strive for far more pointless achievements, especially when it means the accessibility of maps using a single key.

Some of you seem dreadfully out of touch with the average MMO player if you think people want to deal with the inconvenience of relying on apps and navigating wikis on a second monitor every time they travel, rather than utilizing an in-game map. We're talking about a breed of gamers that spend months uncovering every area of their map just to check a box, who kill thousands of mobs of every variety to unlock a useless achievement, or walk around picking up shiny things on the ground for months on end for an obscure title.

Yes, they will continually craft and buy maps to keep a complete book of the highest quality on every character.

More features would make it even better, and it should have more, but it would be viable alone as described.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited April 2017
    Dullahan said:
    Some of you seem dreadfully out of touch with the average MMO player if you think people want to deal with the inconvenience of relying on apps and navigating wikis on a second monitor every time they travel, rather than utilizing an in-game map. 
    You are right, they do not want to deal with inconvenience of seeking maps out of game, and that is why we have maps and exclamation marks above NPCs in games in the first place because any sort of "mapping skills/management" is even greater annoyance and waste of development time.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited April 2017

Scorchien said:
    Dullahan said:
    Scorchien said:
    Dullahan said:
    laserit said:

Lotsa of gamers have an extar monitor now , just for that , or a laptop or an ipad or a phone for that matter ... I dont see any Smart dev dedicated resources to developing a throw away skill
    No way.  You cannot develop a game with the expectation of your users having a 2nd monitor.  Some might.  Not enough to expect it though.  And looking up maps on a phone?  absurd
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    deniter said:
    Daft said:
    I was playing p1999 the other day and I came to the realization that, Everquest is the only MMO that I dont have my face planted in a map. I think not having a map made EQ feel like a real world to me. I didnt realize it at the time but i do now. I respect the fact that I can get on p1999 and know where im going like I was in my own city. My point is that If pantheon adds a M button, I really hope it just brings a plain map up but doesn't show your location.

I read someplace that they are using EQ classic combat. I loved getting duel wield, and double attack. I liked that when i got those skills i sucked at them, then I got better with use. Same with magic and fizzles .

Last but not least. My favorite part of everquest was twinking!  I understand some stuff having level restrictions, but I really hope we get twinking back with pantheon.

IM Drunk

Drunk or not, it's a good idea !

I can't wait to see a large amount of young people embracing this game too :)
    Most young people have the attention span of a gnat.  You are living in a delusion if you think they'll be coming in legions for this game.  I want this game to get made and I will try it.  But you need to get a reality check and realize this game will be niche at best.

To be honest, most young people don't play MMOs or RPGs in general even if they played some form of video games.

We're not trying to break records here, just waiting for a nice game for those who play MMOs and still think the RPG part should be included in MMORPG.
    I think what you meant is that young people don't play traditional mmos.  MMOs on consoles, especially newer ones like Destiny and The Division is very populated by younger gamers.  My point was just that this type of mmo is not the next WoW and people like Delete need to stop trying to push that narrative on every Pantheon thread.  Realistic expectations will help this mmo more than fantasy.
    Yep, that's pretty much what i meant. Thank you! :)
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    svann said:

Scorchien said:
    Dullahan said:
    Scorchien said:
    Dullahan said:
    laserit said:

No way.  You cannot develop a game with the expectation of your users having a 2nd monitor.  Some might.  Not enough to expect it though.  And looking up maps on a phone?  absurd
    ive done it before in everquest, you just alt+tab. even if you can simply look up maps online it's nowhere near as good as having them in game with GPS.

IMO they could make a map maker skill  and make editing the map in game impossible unless you have that skill or possibly maps are bought in game from other players with the skill.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I think the only real way to actually make a map skill that would "stick" is to make it more interactive.  If it's just a static map system, then people will simply find what they want on the web, etc.
    You could even piggyback the static map cartography system.

Ex. ---------------
    Cartographer A makes maps, and everyone who owns a "Made by Cartographer A" map gets "live"(quotes because literal live updates would be a nightmare)  updates on their map(think basic enemy/node info, weather report, etc.)

Updates to the map could happen based on someone being physically present and  "spotting" in that area.
    So, whichever map maker had the best "Scout" network would have the most interactive, up-to-date maps.

Maps showing that a boss is up in a distant zone or a rare named is up, locations of current rare ore nodes, etc. would certainly give people a reason to prefer an in-game map.
    Obviously, a system like that would have great economic and business impact as well.
    --------------------
    I realize Pantheon isn't going to do anything that complex and involved, but the point is that the only way in-game maps would be preferred, overall, is if they actually had some in-game advantage over what you'd find on the web.

If the in-game map were the same as the web map, it'd certainly be more convenient to hit a button and view the in-game map without having to open a browser or whatever, but I have to agree with some folks that it might not be worth development time in the long run to bother with cartography skills, etc..