Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

14-Day Free Trial Limit Removed, Experience Now 'Unlimited' - Final Fantasy XIV News

2»

Comments

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Its one of those games that I always considered giving a second try given how well received it was. This way I don't have to pay any money if I still don't like it.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Glocker said:
    From the old trial page, the "important" ones:

- Lv cap at 35 (if I'm not mistaken you get to try all the base jobs)
    - Gil cap (no info on the exact number)
    - Can't use shout, yell or tell
    - Can't create linkshells, but can join one if invited
    - 8 characters account-wide, but one per world
    - Can't use the market board
    - Can't trade
    - Can't use the mail system
    - Can't create parties, but can join an existing one if invited or via Duty Finder
    - Can't join/create a FC
    - Can't use the lodestone
    - Can't progress past level 10 in the Deep Dungeon
    Sheesh that seems awfully restrictive...im guessing they let up on that down the road
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Herase said:
    DMKano said:
    Eothas said:
    DMKano said:
    And people said it would never go F2P ;)
    Are you serious? WoW have pretty much the same system. I guess WoW is going F2P too...

Yes, the previous restrictions for trial account will still apply. No acess to MB, FCs, tells, etc...

Umm are you seriously asking me this? That emoticon there at the end of my post wasnt clear enough?

tbh i think the site needs some new updated emjois, can barely tell what some of them are :P
    I agree, they are weaksauce and most people these days like expressing their thoughts with them; so why in this day and age they have terrible emojis here? I have an idea why. It must be because people felt trolled by them. We used to have a ton more, but for whatever reason they removed most of them and left the lame ones.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Glocker said:
    From the old trial page, the "important" ones:

- Lv cap at 35 (if I'm not mistaken you get to try all the base jobs)
    - Gil cap (no info on the exact number)
    - Can't use shout, yell or tell
    - Can't create linkshells, but can join one if invited
    - 8 characters account-wide, but one per world
    - Can't use the market board
    - Can't trade
    - Can't use the mail system
    - Can't create parties, but can join an existing one if invited or via Duty Finder
    - Can't join/create a FC
    - Can't use the lodestone
    - Can't progress past level 10 in the Deep Dungeon
    Sheesh that seems awfully restrictive...im guessing they let up on that down the road
    That's pretty standard for a free trial actually. They need those restrictions to cut back on goldsellers. WoW's unlimited time trial restrictions are similar:

"You do not have access to the following while on the Starter Edition:
    • Expansion content (quests, zones, etc)
    • Characters above level 20
    • Pet Battles
    • Other chat channels and whispers to non-friends
    • All guild-related functions
    • Value added services (character transfers, faction changes, etc)
    • Party formation
    • Trade, mail, or the Auction House
    • Voice chat or Real ID
  • Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192
    I'm pretty sure you wont have to deal with gold spammers. They will most likely make it to where you can not chat, invite, party, guild, or anything that you would be able to do to annoy others unless your either A on there friends list. or B pay a month and buy the game. A mmo that has ran as long as this one is as high of quality I highly doubt they will do anything to ruin it for the loyal and very large fan base it has now.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Perfect.  I alway wanted to try it out but I hate having to cram enough playtime into a limited time trial to see if I like it.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    It's the same trial as before, just without the time limit.

Overall it is pretty similar to what AoC had when they switched to unlimited trial (and then turned into f2p, so maybe in a while Kano will be right :wink: ), except the no trading part... so in FF you can't use them as mules and item storage, like you could in AoC.
  • Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Have they enabled accounts that already tried the trial but never upgraded? There was some talk about that taking time.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    That was annoying as heck,4-5 clicks later still just a page to sign up.
    So to get the information you need you have to sign up first .

No big deal to me i guess,already have a past account,already know the game i would have only dabbled around for free because i like the FF lore and graphics but i won't ever be signing up full time again because i know what the game turns into at level 40+.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    As long as there are enough players,it will never go f2p.
    If they restrict trading it won't aid rmt anymore than is already there,but yes it would allow them to create free chat sellers which would be super annoying to players.

I feel similar to FFXI,it is one of the few games you need to ply for awhile because it changes mid stream.FFXI changed for the better but then got bad again at 76+,FFXIV goes pretty good until 40+ more so around 50 although many people felt the sub class system did not pan out that well until higher levels with more choice.

If you played Wow ,then you will likely find this game better all around with more to do,same end game raiding non stop.You get a chocobo to fight with though and that is something you won't see in everyday games.

Definitely a game worth at least trying,it is professional quality but the design does not suit my wants/needs.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• yonpachiyonpachi Member UncommonPosts: 191
    I have stopped playing a year ago. Can I log back in and check under a free trial account or is it impossible without creating a new free trial account?
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Wizardry said:
    If you played Wow ,then you will likely find this game better all around with more to do
    WoW is stil the best theme park MMO by a mile. And with all its expansions it definetly has more things to do then FF14
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    mindw0rk said:
    WoW is stil the best theme park MMO by a mile. And with all its expansions it definetly has more things to do then FF14
    The amount of content may have something to do with the sliiiiiiiiiiiiight difference in age of those 2 games.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Tiller said:
    Herase said:
    DMKano said:
    Eothas said:
    DMKano said:
    Are you serious? WoW have pretty much the same system. I guess WoW is going F2P too...

Yes, the previous restrictions for trial account will still apply. No acess to MB, FCs, tells, etc...

Umm are you seriously asking me this? That emoticon there at the end of my post wasnt clear enough?

tbh i think the site needs some new updated emjois, can barely tell what some of them are :P
    I agree, they are weaksauce and most people these days like expressing their thoughts with them; so why in this day and age they have terrible emojis here? I have an idea why. It must be because people felt trolled by them. We used to have a ton more, but for whatever reason they removed most of them and left the lame ones.

I miss the foot tapping one and the donkey pooing.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    If you played the beta you can't do a free trial.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Shaigh said:
    If you played the beta you can't do a free trial.
    They don't count those, but they love to push it like they have that many active players...which is far from the truth and it still gets people to think it means that. The game itself has pretty much plateaued and this likely wont get them many more players (since there was already a trial). This i more of them doing what WoW has done since this game is very similar in a lot of design choices.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Unlimited free trial lasted about 20 minutes for me...not my cup of tea...Dont know how people can stand story driven games...Boring as heck.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Eothas said:

DMKano said:

Are you serious? WoW has pretty much the same system. I guess WoW is going F2P too...

You can not level past lvl 20 in WoW without paying. I don't know how unlimited XIV will be with this new business model but i hope i can log in with my existing account. I purchased the game when it was still 1.0 but i don't feel like subscribing at the moment.

edited April 2017
    EDIT:

So...

- I cannot download the unlimited trial from NA because "i already own the game".

- I cannot download the unlimited trial from Japan because " i don't own the game".

**** this.
    Post edited by rojoArcueid on

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Unlimited free trial lasted about 20 minutes for me...not my cup of tea...Dont know how people can stand story driven games...Boring as heck.
    Story driven games are the only games I enjoy.  Now how good is the story?   That becomes the real question.  I've never been partial to Eastern MMOs and doubt I will bother with this one. 
    flizzer said:
    Story driven games are the only games I enjoy.  Now how good is the story?   That becomes the real question.  I've never been partial to Eastern MMOs and doubt I will bother with this one. 
    The story is as good as every Final Fantasy game in history. The problem is that this one is affected by the downsides of mmos such as generic side quest and grinding gear threadmill.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    EDIT:

So...

- I cannot download the unlimited trial from NA because "i already own the game".

- I cannot download the unlimited trial from Japan because " i don't own the game".

**** this.
    Just make an account with another email address, problem solved.
  • redneckgamerredneckgamer Member UncommonPosts: 52
    JudgeUK said:
    EDIT:

So...

**** this.
    this exactly.   i owned the game, so I just made another gmail account to get the free trial
    edited April 2017
    JudgeUK said:
    EDIT:

So...

**** this.
    this exactly.   i owned the game, so I just made another gmail account to get the free trial
    I did not want to do that. I own the game twice already (PC and PS4 with two separate accounts). With that said, i looked into it and it looks like not only i would have to make a third XIV account for the trial, but i would have to create a new PSN account too (which i also have two already, NA and Japan). I prefer that version.

Too much hassle, its easier to just resubscribe or walk away lol.

Last time i subbed i wasted my money because nobody was doing the particular story dungeon i needed to progress in the game so i wont subscribe until they remove forced grouping for story missions.