Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Undocumented Monster Scaling Addressed, Hotfixes Deployed - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageUndocumented Monster Scaling Addressed, Hotfixes Deployed - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

World of Warcraft News - Earlier today, we reported that players had discovered an undocumented addition to the v7.2 World of Warcraft update. Without prior testing on PTR or inclusion in the patch notes, it was found that monsters' health pools and damage were increasing according to player iLevel. As a result, the best geared players were unequipping items to mitigate the increase and many in the community were loudly protesting the change.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Obviously they over tuned it... but do they really think it is a good idea to scale mobs with player iLvl?

One of the best things about the whole themepark gear progression / reset thing is getting to a gear level where you can 1 shot stuff that used to be a challenge... and then it all just resets with the next expansion anyway. Take that sense of overpowered progression away and it just becomes an endless gear treadmill that you never feel like you are making any real progress on*.

*Which is already an issue for these sorts of games, as 100 damage vs. 1000 HP is effectively the same as 100,000 damage vs. 1,000,000 HP, i.e. 10 hits per kill. The numbers may be bigger, but the gameplay is exactly the same.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Stizzled said:
    Just Blizzard doing what they've always done best, take ideas from other games. ESO recently did it with much success, Blizzard probably figured they could too.
    Level scaling in Legion zones was already in place since the xpac launched back in August. But once you hit the level cap, all max level mobs had static health pools, damage, etc. So for a fresh level 110 character, level 110 mobs would pose somewhat of a challenge. But as the player geared up more and more, level 110 mobs became trivial. With this new change, as a player gears up and his/her item level increases, the mobs will scale up with them.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Stizzled said:

Just Blizzard doing what they've always done best, take ideas from other games. ESO recently did it with much success, Blizzard probably figured they could too.

Alliance and Horde able to get each others quests from level 1 on PvE servers ...
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Increasing the opponents to match or exceed the players makes player advancements both redundant and a waste of time.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• molepeopomolepeopo Member UncommonPosts: 40
    monsters scaling with gear? then whats the point of gear?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017
    I believe i said scaling is a real bad idea a longtime ago.
    SOE thought a cool idea,i did as well but then Splitpaw Saga arrived and man did scaling blow balls.
    So bad after being able to test the idea in live game play with real players,that SOE did not repeat it ever again.
    So fast forward many years and seems devs are not learning anything from past mistakes.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Wizardry said:
    SOE thought a cool idea,i did as well but then Splitpaw Saga arrived and man did scaling blow balls.
    So bad after being able to test the idea in live game play with real players,that SOE did not repeat it ever again.
    So fast forward many years and seems devs are not learning anything from past mistakes.

People keep praising it in ESO.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited March 2017
    Wow people do want everything easy, too easy gets boring );.

I do like scaling and getting wiped it adds more fun and challenge to the game for those who still play WOW.
  • storagstorag Member UncommonPosts: 17

Horusra said:

ESO's team had enough sense to know where to stop - scaling stops at CP160 and works differently. In ESO the world is set on that stats and it is a player character that is scaled UP to that level until it reaches CP160. That scaling affects mostly gear which is only one part of ESO's multifaceted progression + CP level is shared between characters on account.

Blizzard fucked it up by scaling "world" to a player =|
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Horusra said:
    Wizardry said:

As @storag says above it is implemented very differently in ESO with lots of strands. And as a result there is both "balance" and "progression". 

And if you haven't experienced it then for about the cost of a 1 month subscription to WoW you can try it. 
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    I am playing WoW right now, and I feel like it is a good system if you let it work. I have been 110 on several characters for quite awhile now, and it gets boring being able to crush an entire area within a couple seconds. This system brings back a sense of risk, albeit a small one.

I have a feeling that most of the people complaining aren't the ones actually playing the game, they just have to take shots at Blizz whenever they can. 

I am no WoW fanboi, but this system is not what people (that actually play the game) should be complaining about.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    What's the point of ilvl then if difficulty scales up with ilvl.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• storagstorag Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Hatefull said:
    I am playing WoW right now, and I feel like it is a good system if you let it work. I have been 110 on several characters for quite awhile now, and it gets boring being able to crush an entire area within a couple seconds. This system brings back a sense of risk, albeit a small one.

I have a feeling that most of the people complaining aren't the ones actually playing the game, they just have to take shots at Blizz whenever they can. 

I am no WoW fanboi, but this system is not what people (that actually play the game) should be complaining about.
    So does that mean that grinding same mobs that you've been grinding since hitting 110 (which is a long time a presume) but now a bit slower is your idea of fun and chalanging gameplay? Think what you want of me but I can't see how that can be good. Just can't. 
    This game had single big goal for like ever - get better gear so you can kill things faster, because killing things is the only activity the game really offers. And this "design" descision puts that goal in question! Why the heck should I spend time grinding for some minor upgrades to my gear if those upgrades effectivness is further redused by upscaling everything? 
    Please, I beg you, enlighten me! Because, frankly, I'm at a loss. The Maslow Pyramide WoW's been teaching me since it's start Is falling apart =)
  • ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    It is an issue when world quest mobs vaporize before you can tap them. The underlying problem is that the power curve with gear is quite dramatic, and as a result people who are geared to face current end-game challenges will absolutely steamroller landscape mobs. With the benefit of hindsight, they probably shouldn't have had such an aggressive power increase during the course of the expansion. As others have noted, they could have made Nighthold (end-game raid) just as challenging with smaller player numbers by tuning the mobs.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017

Horusra said:

Wizardry said:

Well the mmo demographic has changed a lot,seems gamer's accept lots of bad ideas because they seem more focused on gaming as a "completionist" than a role play gamer.

Scaling completely ruins immersion,something that is fading badly from rpg's as they become narrowed down into instance end gaming,which is really sad to see. This is not to say TESO is a bad game because it is not but they do make mistakes on ruining what a rpg should stand for and that is an immersive world.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's not often that WOW assimilates the ideas from other MMOs and doesn't do it better than the original, but this seems to be one of those times.

ESO for all its other warts, did scaling in a better balanced way than WOW has. Including gear scores in WOW's formula and trying to make the scaling infinite based on ilvl are both biting them in the ass.

I don't think anyone is ready for or wants a vertical progression game to provide the same exact difficulty from level 1 to 1000. You have to factor in some sense of of feeling more powerful in there somewhere.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED