Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Relaunching with a New Name: Secret World Legends - The Secret World - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageRelaunching with a New Name: Secret World Legends - The Secret World - MMORPG.com

The Secret World News - Funcom is finally ready to reveal the details about the recently-announced overhaul of The Secret World. When the game relaunches later this spring, it will do so with a new name: Secret World Legends. Funcom considers SWL a "shared world RPG" that sports over a hundred hours of stories and quests. Lastly, Secret World Legends will be adopting a free to play monetization strategy.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    OH BOY OH BOY!

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 532
    edited March 2017
    Wait, does this mean my lifetime account is going to not be lifetime anymore?

Edit: Nevermind, found out if you're a lifer, you get Patron benefits forever in SWL.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Lol, while i posted in the other thread you fired up the news entry... nice speed, Suzie :waving:
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    So what changed? Just the pay model?

Joined - July 2004

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    DMKano said:
    Combat remains unchanged?
    If you read the article, it says very clearly (and on their site) that combat has been reworked.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    I hope they preserve the questing experience. Some of the best, in my humble opinion.
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    So instead of fixing the game they turn it to action RPG.

*Facepalm*
  • KossuthKossuth Member UncommonPosts: 56
    So our characters will be stuck in TSW which won't presumably receive any new updates. Everything except vanity items bought in the shop is also nailed.

Very poor show funcom as a long term player of several of your games.

Bjoern / Sir Prime

Habitual Euthanasia
    Pandemic Legion

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

SBFord said:

DMKano said:

If you read the article, it says very clearly (and on their site) that combat has been reworked.

Color me skeptical at best. Here's hoping.

Joined - July 2004

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    deniter said:

*Facepalm*
    because the funcom ceo thinks gamers have MMO fatigue lol *doubleface palm*

pantaro said:

deniter said:

*Facepalm*

I think that's a fair assessment - not many people are interested in a cookie-cutter MMO anymore. Something different needs to happen. Not sure why you're facepalming.
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515

pantaro said:

deniter said:

*Facepalm*

I think that's a fair assessment - not many people are interested in a cookie-cutter MMO anymore. Something different needs to happen. Not sure why you're facepalming.
    that i do agree with,i know i'm beyond sick of themepark mmo's sandbox's not at all

http://nordic.ign.com/conan-exiles/1746/feature/interview-with-rui-casais-from-funcom-the-nordic-angle
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426
    I am hyped for this version of the game as the combat was the thing that drove me out of TSW. I am worried about the investigation missions though - they were by far the most unique component of TSW and I will be sad if they were removed in this new "action RPG" version of the game. Another system that I'm worried about is the character development system. They say that it will be reworked but from recent "reworks"(like Skyforge Ascension) my experience is that the devs "rework" the system by dumbing it down significantly or outright removing it. I hope this game does not fall victim to those very common mistakes. Thinking about it I actually think that it is a kind of brilliant move to launch it as a separate game instead of patching new systems on top of the old game, potentially ruining it for people.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    F2P

*Triple Facepalm*
    --------------------------------------------
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

SBFord said:

DMKano said:

We'll have to see...
    F2P

*Triple Facepalm*

You're a little late, it's been F2P. If you consider the purchase price of about 5 bucks now-a-days not free to play, then the micro-transaction market REALLY screwed up your way of thinking. :( 
  • ShainnaShainna Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Don't mess with the quests, they are the best thing in Secret World. It saddens me that you can't transfer your characters over, but we'll see what they do. Fix the combat and combat animations, pretty much all the ever needed to do, in my opinion.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    Legend has it that TSW once had awful combat......

Well since this was the area that put me off the game, here's hoping they do a really good job reworking this.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Looking forward to the combat rework. I hope it is a very significant rework, hopefully an entire overhaul.

TSW is that one mmorpg i always reinstall, waiting for that moment they decide to improve combat. I hope this is finally that moment.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I'd actually be interested except for it being on Steam only.

Maybe later there will be other options.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I'm back in a heartbeat if combat and its rework (both animations and abilities in general) are good.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Thoth_MosheThoth_Moshe Member UncommonPosts: 240
    I wonder if this means there will be a console port
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I love to go back. I hope they do more with their whole 3 factions thing going on. I'd love to see new stories. And for the love of all things holy, redo that combat, animations and the freaking UI. Also spend more 5 minutes designing your crafting system. <3
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 627
    Seems like 2 separate systems as existing characters can't be played in "Legends"??? That's bizarre.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    I'm excited but also disappointed that I have to start over. I have three characters already in TSW with enough progress and things on the account that I'm a bit upset that all of that won't be continuing in the new game. Oh well, maybe it'll turn out to be a good thing if so much has changed. We'll see.