Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D&D Online login error "unable to login failure to write"

ortheneorthene Member UncommonPosts: 13
im looking for a solution for this error hopefully.  Searchd forums , submitted tickets, nothing is helping.  Im using my old account from when i used to play back in 2011.. everything checks out until i hit login and i get this error.  

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Failure to write? that seems odd, your harddrive have enough space, right (just checking)?.

Otherwise try the usual things: close down your firewall, only run programs you have to, update your GFX drivers and reboot. That usually solves most login problems if they are on your side.

It is of course possible that the login server was down, maintenance, DDOs attack, murphy or something.
  • ortheneorthene Member UncommonPosts: 13
    yea man, got tons of free space left over and tried to run admin with and w/o the firewall
    even tried no antivirus to be sure.. same error  :<

Hmm, tried to run it as an administrator as well? It might be that the file have got a read only protection on it. Happened me a few times in other games but I have to admit that the only MMO I ever seen it in was AoC once.
    well i sure do appreciate the response , im gonna keep looking for solutions as my best friend bought all of the xpacs and is bragging .. i gotta get this working.
    orthene said:
    well i sure do appreciate the response , im gonna keep looking for solutions as my best friend bought all of the xpacs and is bragging .. i gotta get this working.
    I do believe that the temp files for the game have gotten write protected somehow. The problem is of course that they are hidden files, probably under C/Users somewhere but I don't have the game install anymore myself and finding them are tough.

To see them at all you would need to cross in "show the hidden files" in the folder alternatives (or is it folder settings, I run a Swedish windows) in the windows explorer (not to be confused with Internet Explorer).

The problem with that is that reinstalling the game might not help at all since games often leaves those files even after un-installing. 

After that you need to locate the D&D folder somewhere in the users menu, it is probably either under C/Users/all users or C/Users/(your loginname)/appdata/local.

And that is if you run Windows 7, not sure about 8 or 10. Then you rightclick the folder and click preferences and go to security. There you click in so you get full access and press OK, it should do it.

It is still just a guess, but it do happens from time to time in games, CIV IV for instance done this to me 3 times during the years. 

If this doesn't work you should probably ask Quzzical, he is kind of our computer guru here. 
    ok, so i checked all the security permissions, it was all set to allow already :<  im sorry to say im still stuck.  Who is this computer guru you speak of and how do i get a hold of this person :awesome:
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017
    I do not see your error in your post so i went on what umm looks up again "poor memory"oh yea,what Loke said.

so this might have your answers.
    http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/tip/8-common-causes-for-delayed-write-failed-errors
    check cables or simply delete and have it write again somewhere different on the HD
    Can do a check of your disk sectors etc etc..

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    I do not see your error in your post so i went on what umm looks up again "poor memory"oh yea,what Loke said.

so this might have your answers.
    http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/tip/8-common-causes-for-delayed-write-failed-errors
    check cables or simply delete and have it write again somewhere different on the HD
    Can do a check of your disk sectors etc etc..
    Hmm, you reminded me that I got a write failure to a an old crappy SATA cable once but I don't see why that would just happen in DDO then.

Old regular harddrives could loose sectors (Windows explorer have a built in program that would lock them off), usually because a single speck of dust got into it, in that case you would loose sectors faster and faster.

But I find either unlikely, particularly since it just affect a single game.orthene said:
    ok, so i checked all the security permissions, it was all set to allow already :<  im sorry to say im still stuck.  Who is this computer guru you speak of and how do i get a hold of this person :awesome:
    Might be that the directory is fine but the file is still write protected. Happened to me once but it may be a #¤% to fix, took me 2 bloody hours since it resetted the things  as soon as I quit explorer.

Quizz?  http://forums.mmorpg.com/profile/Quizzical Just send him a PM, he is a rather helpful guy and you can say that I recommended him ;) Give him a link to this thread in it so he can see what already been suggested. I can of course not promise that he want or can help you since it is rather rude to volunteer others but it surely doesn't hurt.

Reinstalling might work in worst case but then you really need to delete everything, not just a regular uninstall. Do it as usual first and then remove all DDO folders by hand or use a program that helps you like Easycleaner.

And if nothing else work you can always go for DDOs support, while that usually takes time they might have heard of others with a similar problem.

Good luck. :)
    Torval said:
    It could be a folder/file permission issue. I've seen this problem quite a while ago with LotRO (lotro and ddo work a lot alike) and checking the problem and solution is tricky.

If you don't have any special or saved config files you could rename the DDO folder in Documents to "Dungeons and Dragons Online_backup" and launch the game in admin mode to see if it fixes the issue.

If this is a fresh install or that doesn't resolve the issue I would go to the forums and get more directed guidance. The community and mods are pretty helpful.
    That is good thinking Torval, it should work. (Why didn't I think of that yesterday? Doh).
    wow lots of feedback thank you all , very amazing!  I tried to install a few other games , and was successful so i dont feel like its a hardware issue.  I did a full removal and removed all the old files as ddo never existed on my system.. reinstalled and still the same error.  Luckily ddo support emailed me back today and i sent them my system specs, so hopefully they will have a fix for me!  When i get it resolved ill post the update!!  Thank you  all again <3

orthene said:
    wow lots of feedback thank you all , very amazing!  I tried to install a few other games , and was successful so i dont feel like its a hardware issue.  I did a full removal and removed all the old files as ddo never existed on my system.. reinstalled and still the same error.  Luckily ddo support emailed me back today and i sent them my system specs, so hopefully they will have a fix for me!  When i get it resolved ill post the update!!  Thank you  all again <3

The thing is that DDO keeps the temp files in the users directory while it keeps the game files in the install programs directory and unless you manually remove the temp files nothing will happen. You probably did purge both but it is worth to point it out as most people don't know that.

I hope it works out for you. :)