Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shroud of the Avatar - Shooting Solo - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageShroud of the Avatar - Shooting Solo - MMORPG.com

With aim somewhat more accurate than a certain trigger-happy green alien, the team behind Shroud of the Avatar spoke with Red Thomas about coming efforts to wrap up some big holes in offline gameplay.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    I am a backer and have played this a little while during the development phase but I will probably be waiting for offline mode before i get back at it. The online play in this game didn't really grab my attention, especially with the player community fluctuating so much.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Want to talk about big holes, heh, this embarrassing heap belongs in the hole next to E.T.
    Rawyn

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• doug200463doug200463 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Expected way more from this company/game.. but it feels like their focus is to find new ways for you to spend, even more money on this game.. when their focus should be the game.. I backed this game for $20 when it went on Kickstarter, Sold it a couple months ago for 300$. So glad i got out and made money on a game for once..
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    Torval said:
    I love the skill leveling. For whatever reason I can't nail down this is one of the games that causes my computer to do a hard reboot. It's such a bummer.

The new combat is better in some ways but the mouse lock control feels wonky.

Also, I disagree with Starr and think that if you're developing an offline version of a game it should really come and be tested first while implementing network infrastructure in tandem while resolving issues.
    Except that Starr's done this professionally for a while now.   =)  Franky, all these monthly roll outs and no unexpected down time makes me take anything I get from this team really seriously.   I know some folks don't like the game, but you have to respect the technical proficiency of a team that can pull that off.   It's not like they have a wealth of people, either.

I would have been with you before talking with Starr about it.   Well, I think online first is the right way to go because it's how you generate revenue and stay healthy.  I would have thought balancing offline first would be the easier route, though.  

The problem is that it's easier to test player behavior and then model AI behavior than the other way around.   Offline first means a lot of rebalancing, and you know nothing will survive contact with players.  
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Interesting how SC appears to be taking the opposite approach and plan to deliver the offline game first.

Weird.
    Rawyn

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

Kyleran said:

Interesting how SC appears to be taking the opposite approach and plan to deliver the offline game first.

Weird.

The online mode will bring you more money... People are using the cash shop for online purposes.
    And since they are greedy..

• joezhudarakjoezhudarak Member UncommonPosts: 32
    after 1500 hours playing sota i still adicted

after 1500 hours playing sota i still adicted

http://steamcharts.com/app/326160

• PierrenardPierrenard Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited March 2017
    I want to play the game for long time But since last wipe is done and the price of a house i figure i wont have even a place for a house so i keep waiting and waiting and the game still not rdy I still have esitation on getting the game
  • happymushroomfellahappymushroomfella Member UncommonPosts: 2
    There are free UO servers with higher player base....hah
  • catnipgamescatnipgames Member UncommonPosts: 17
    SOTA dev Chris here!

@Torval, for R40, the reticule mode is not mapped to a key. While many newer RPG players demand reticule mode, most our our audience prefers the old style cursor mode so we will be putting that front and center and letting players opt in for reticule.

@Pierrenard, Since final wipe around 2000 players have gotten their house in game without spending a dime more than the cost to buy the game. Lots are for sale in game for gold from other players. I know if you read the comments on the game on some websites, all people do is complain about the cash shop but almost everything is available in game and is VERY achievable.

All items in the cash shop are vanity items and most have a similar but slightly less fancy version that can be crafted in game. We sell armor and weapons in the shop but it has newbie gear stats and is really only intended to be salvaged to get the pattern that can be used to make good crafted gear look like it.

Also, while I know there is a set of people that come and spew hate on the game every time a new story comes out but in the mean time, more than 10 million hours of play time has been logged by players who love it. If you haven't bought the game yet and want to give it a try, keep your eyes open for a free trial announcement. If you tried it last release and had issues, the AMD compatibility issues were fixed, memory footprint is way down and performance is up since last month. Also, the new user experience is much improved even just in the past 30 days.

As always, thanks for your support and see you in game!
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Ain't it fun when you know you're gonna die young...
  • PierrenardPierrenard Member UncommonPosts: 30

SOTA dev Chris here!

@Torval, for R40, the reticule mode is not mapped to a key. While many newer RPG players demand reticule mode, most our our audience prefers the old style cursor mode so we will be putting that front and center and letting players opt in for reticule.

@Pierrenard, Since final wipe around 2000 players have gotten their house in game without spending a dime more than the cost to buy the game. Lots are for sale in game for gold from other players. I know if you read the comments on the game on some websites, all people do is complain about the cash shop but almost everything is available in game and is VERY achievable.

All items in the cash shop are vanity items and most have a similar but slightly less fancy version that can be crafted in game. We sell armor and weapons in the shop but it has newbie gear stats and is really only intended to be salvaged to get the pattern that can be used to make good crafted gear look like it.

Also, while I know there is a set of people that come and spew hate on the game every time a new story comes out but in the mean time, more than 10 million hours of play time has been logged by players who love it. If you haven't bought the game yet and want to give it a try, keep your eyes open for a free trial announcement. If you tried it last release and had issues, the AMD compatibility issues were fixed, memory footprint is way down and performance is up since last month. Also, the new user experience is much improved even just in the past 30 days.

I will get the game if i knew that i will find ppls guild to join but I cant post on website since i dont have the game... so i am waiting... The fun for me in a game is to join a guild and craft for guildmates etc...
    edited March 2017
    @Pierrenard, agree completely. Last time we did a free trial, the guilds organized and were feverishly trying to recruit people joining and teach them the ropes. Lots of people do nothing but gather and craft so you'll be right at home.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    @Pierrenard, agree completely. Last time we did a free trial, the guilds organized and were feverishly trying to recruit people joining and teach them the ropes. Lots of people do nothing but gather and craft so you'll be right at home.

They were feverishly trying to recruit people because the population is so low, they're desperate for someone else to join the game and hang out in their big $$ towns.
    Kyleran said:

Weird.
    lol  Massive difference there, man.  The least of which is that we're talking about economy balance, not just generic gameplay.  Also, breaking the netcode sort of forced them down that track early on.
  • FuriantFuriant Member UncommonPosts: 30

Torval said:

I love the skill leveling. For whatever reason I can't nail down this is one of the games that causes my computer to do a hard reboot. It's such a bummer.

The new combat is better in some ways but the mouse lock control feels wonky.

Also, I disagree with Starr and think that if you're developing an offline version of a game it should really come and be tested first while implementing network infrastructure in tandem while resolving issues.

It likely causes a soft reboot. A hard reboot is when you physically cut the power to the machine by using the power button or unplugging it. Soft rebooting just cycles the power feed.
    black777 said:

The online mode will bring you more money... People are using the cash shop for online purposes.
    And since they are greedy..
    ...because you know, a no company should want to be profitable, keep their investors happy, or build retained earnings for additional development.

Yeah, I know the remark is pretty dumb and not worth replying to, but it was a chance to point out that I actually know several of the devs on the project.  I happen to know what several of them make, and this is definitely not a team that's in it purely for the money.  It is a business, though.  The company needs to make money, and I know they have investors from before this project that wouldn't be very happy if they stopped trying to do so.

Calling a company out for trying to make a profit is like ripping a football player for trying to get a touchdown.  It's kind of the whole point of what they're doing...  not sure how there's confusion on that point.
    Torval said:
    Other projects have gone the other route and it's worked well. Life is Feudal took the limited server approach and is developing their mmo server infrastructure from that.

The problem is that going this way has caused problems for the single player and limited friends modes so has it worked well?

The combat interface has improved somewhat but it's still clunky. It will have to be rebalanced either way, but I'm not getting the impression that focusing on network multiplayer has done them justice if the combat and other systems are problematic.

For example one of the combat issues I've seen is how easy it is to get put into and out of the mouse lock mode.

I probably won't play in offline mode at all, so the opinion is not personally motivated. I also considered that the team is experience at this when I made my opinion, so it's not that I think this is necessarily always true, but I feel like in this case other systems have suffered because the mmo part gets too much attention.
    Yeah, but you're kind of talking about a different kind of game, too.  LiF is more of a survival game, so the economy there works a lot different.  I don't think they have NPCs at all in the game either, do they?

Also, I'm not saying it can't be done.  Plenty of games have, but I can't think of another that's persistent and an MMO.  I think it'd be a pretty big pain to try an balance an offline economy, push that to an online environment.  You'd be balancing twice for every patch.

Besides, it's pretty irrelevant.  Even when I thought building an economy offline and then transitioning online was easier, I still would have said to do online first.  A studio needs revenue to stay healthy and complete the project, and that comes from online far more than offline sales.  It's the same thing I kind of picked on Crowfall for, so I'm not defending the position just in this case.  I've taken shots at other projects (including ones I liked) for not doing the smart pro-revenue approach earlier in development.
    edited March 2017

SOTA dev Chris here!

I will get the game if i knew that i will find ppls guild to join but I cant post on website since i dont have the game... so i am waiting... The fun for me in a game is to join a guild and craft for guildmates etc...

Dude, look at the chart.
    Even with a free trial, the numbers didn't even go up.

So yeah. That game will be free to play before a year after release. With a niceee cash shop.
    Don't waste a dime on this one.
    There is plenty of GOOD games incoming. http://steamcharts.com/app/326160#1m
    Rawyn

black777 said:

SOTA dev Chris here!

Dude, look at the chart.

Even with a free trial, the numbers didn't even go up.

So yeah. That game will be free to play before a year after release. With a niceee cash shop.

Don't waste a dime on this one.

There is plenty of GOOD games incoming.

http://steamcharts.com/app/326160#1m

Ah, this clears up some things for me. So our free trial was NOT on Steam, as in you can't do the free trial through steam. We are actually on Steam reluctantly at the request of players and it makes up only a fraction of our players. If you are looking at Steam and thinking this somehow represents our player base, I think that explains some of the comments I see here about a small player base. We will likely be more interested in Steam in the future, right now our Steam page starts with all caps, "DO NOT BUY THIS GAME..." The majority of our audience is NOT on Steam and instead just plays through our website and Steam was an after thought that represents about 20% of our audience.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    This is what happens when you can't get sufficient funding and it is rather pervasive through the industry today.  Big investors are not interested so you have to get gamers with some free cash to invest and that does not set well with others that do not have that freedom.

They have to survive to make the game, hence funding the game has to be priority.  Personally not happy with the manner of funding, but get used to it that is what the industry has to do to make these games.

I wish them luck, but I will personally stick with the older games, just don't like feeling like a bottom feeder.
    edited March 2017

Ozmodan said:

This is what happens when you can't get sufficient funding and it is rather pervasive through the industry today.  Big investors are not interested so you have to get gamers with some free cash to invest and that does not set well with others that do not have that freedom.

They have to survive to make the game, hence funding the game has to be priority.  Personally not happy with the manner of funding, but get used to it that is what the industry has to do to make these games.

I wish them luck, but I will personally stick with the older games, just don't like feeling like a bottom feeder.

Dark and light is going to be really good with a lot of things to do in game. And the game is buy to play only. Which should be better than sota. Agreed, older games are better but Dark and Light looks good too.

And as catnip said, the game is not popular on steam. For good reasons.
    Dark and light, however.

• K4B4LY3R0K4B4LY3R0 Member UncommonPosts: 5

SOTA dev Chris here!

this is true... bought an Ornate Greenhouse Row Home worth 100 USD in the add-on store with game gold from a player vendor... same with the now expired Knight Benefactor Martial Home... also bought a Blue Tile Roof 4-Story Row Home and Shogun 4-Story Row Home both worth 50 US with game gold...

and just yesterday, I bought a Tax Free Founder Place Anywhere Row Lot Deed with game gold... playing the game without spending anything besides the cost of the base game is possible... ^_^
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Lord British can keep this one! I backed it early, but it has now been confirmed that this is just a money grab game seeking whales to fund it! Horrible development with little improvement. This game offers the many little to enjoy and asks of the few to keep throwing it money.