Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old Love EVE cannot die but i also cannot play it with these people.

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    hfztt said:
    Hariken said:
    Welcome to the new generation of mmo players OP. I also remember how Eve was in those early years and how players had a code of honor about where you pvped in the game. And if someone broke the code you got half the server hunting him down for it. The bounty system was in place just for this. But over the years CCP just let the wolves take over the game and now you have what it is today. You have an ingame option to avoid low sec.space in your map and back then you could play the game in completely safe space. But now there is no where safe. Its to bad CCP let the game get to this point.
    No. That was not how it was. Sorry. That is just wrong. I got ganked in Empire the first time back in the summer of 2003. Same shit back then as now.

m0o was famous for their gank setups in and out of empire. They had no code. That is just bullshit. You kille dpeople when you could, bakc then, and still do today. FA, SA, BOB, Goons, RA. The only honor was about how much meta you brought to the table. Was it OK, to crash a node? Was it OK to influence GM's?

Kills ahve always been kills in EVE. Stop the rose tinted "good ol' days" crap. It just isn't true.
    Amen to that.

I play EVE since 2004.

I do not get ganked more often in High Sec now compared to back then. Which means .. very rarely.

Dont fly with 88 PLEX in your cargo hold in high sec if you do not want to get ganked !
    Dont fly AFK. Take a look at the map and the "Killed last hour" tab.

In short ... dont be stupid, lazy or both.

Have fun
    Krematory
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Erillion makes a very good point about the economy being driven by the destruction in PvP.  The PvP does drive the economy and is an essential ingredient to the stability and continuation of the economy in EvE.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited March 2017
    Distopia said:
    LOL whatever you say chief...
    Good.

When you say complete opposite of my point and then proceed with "Your post here isn't saying anything different than I did more or less.", you better not engage in discussion about topics you know too little about.

I believe I already told you before but you are just making assumptions about the game.
  • ReskalReskal Member UncommonPosts: 57
    I started playing in an early beta until summer of 2008 when I left.  Like the OP described, there used to be something for everyone.  If you didn't want to PVP, you didn't have to as long as you stayed in .5 or above.  Unless of course you were in a corp that was at war.

That slowly started changing when they altered a couple popular routes to make you go through .4 or lower space  and relocated some popular ore for mining to lower sec space.  When that didn't work, they changed some of the mechanics of the game which made ganking much easier in .5 or above.  That is the point that I hung it up.  I loved PVP in eve, but I saw the writing on the wall of where this game was going.

Don't worry about it OP.  They aren't going to change and will continue to bleed players as older ones move on and getting new players to stay for an reasonable length of time isn't working out very well.

It's still a great game and I think everyone should at least give it a try.  You never know, you might find yourself enjoying this type of game.
    A little hope might be that CCP is giving the spoon to another company. Maybe they understand better to deal with ganker-fans and open the game again for carebears & other friends of beautiful gameplay beyond the stars.

Hey do you remember the old letters they had  when the warp sequence started ? It was all like a movie !
    edited March 2017
    Several people here started playing in 2012 and try to proof they started in 1996.
    It was long years safe in highsec, i played it again and again, hauled stuff with my freighter, played missions, mined, never got suicide gankers on miners, maybe between corps when one had a very precious freighter filled with stuff but you could mine in 0.5 without ever being attacked, the worst to me happend for years were ore thiefs and i never heared something else.

I mean, why you think i open this thread ? Try to get your heads out of your smartphones and activite the pea between your ears.
    Because i hope the old times come back. Anyhow.
    And some of you guys will pass me in my Navy Megatron , being afk since 2 hours and you can do nothing against it. Not playing god, or judge or whatever, you just can bash your little heads on your keyboard because there is someone with another playstile and a real life.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Reskal said:
    Several people here started playing in 2012 and try to proof they started in 1996.
    It was long years safe in highsec, i played it again and again, hauled stuff with my freighter, played missions, mined, never got suicide gankers on miners, maybe between corps when one had a very precious freighter filled with stuff but you could mine in 0.5 without ever being attacked, the worst to me happend for years were ore thiefs and i never heared something else.

I mean, why you think i open this thread ? Try to get your heads out of your smartphones and activite the pea between your ears.
    And some of you guys will pass me in my Navy Megatron , being afk since 2 hours and you can do nothing against it. Not playing god, or judge or whatever, you just can bash your little heads on your keyboard because there is someone with another playstile and a real life.

You got unlucky that's all there is to it.
    Back when I was playing there were kills in High Sec just like there are now. People were using a trick to lure Concord to the other side of a system and then a gank would take place and Concord wouldn't be able to respond in time.

EVE is about blowing up spaceships. Getting blown up is no big deal.

• DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308

Ya know I used to play EVE for like 5 months years ago and I totally agree with the OP. The game is designed to revolve around these "power players" and they pay big money to power play. It's not a good game. It's literally 99% tedium with an occasional moment of excitement but that excitement is a very awkward mechanical BS Gank syle combat that is really stupid.

I got so fed up with games like EVE, Astro Empires and OGame I actually started making my own Sci Fi MMO game.

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Reskal said:
    Cotic said:
    The thing is EVE has always been like this, anyone going in and expecting it to somehow be different is in for a rude awakening.

Just read the thread, you will find how it was a long time, and it was really different.

http://eve-search.com/thread/417682-0/page/1

Note the date.

https://www.engadget.com/2008/08/06/era-of-suicide-ganking-in-eve-online-coming-to-a-close/

Note also the date

The idea that decade-ago EVE hi-sec was some kind of safe PvE Eden is no more than selective memory heavily seasoned with good old fashioned "it was never a problem until it happened to me!".

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Heh I went to the second page of results and found this:

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/eve-online.93046/page-117

People were bitching about miner ganking in 2005.

edited March 2017
    So i guess i and several other people played another game then. For long years i played my safe and cosy playstile i enjoyed so much, i have completely other imaginations about eve then the defenders of ganker-style in here and i could live with it very well.
    Yes your threads seem to prove me wrong, but only seem to , because it obviously was possible since the beginning of the game, but was not used that often, that must be the reason then. From around 2011+ much more people used  the ganker style is my impression. After that year it was not possible anymore for me to mine in a t2 barge without getting blown up or flying a mission without being bothered by immature persons.

Don't forget: topic is not about pvp between 2 fighter ships, its about seeking weak targets that cost much money and to destroy them, because such people know how frustrated and hurt other people sit behind the game screen then.
    To allow such behaviour is absolutely indiscussible, CCP is causing pain every day with that system.

Btw, the people in the threads you show are the reasons for prefering me playing solo in eve. No 0.0, no corp, nothing. The same people that click "lol" on every post i do, they go on with the war in here.

I want mechanisms in EVE that prevent very young and childish persons to stop bullying their fellow humans.

I want EVE back.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Cotic said:
    Reskal said:
    Cotic said:
    The thing is EVE has always been like this, anyone going in and expecting it to somehow be different is in for a rude awakening.

Just read the thread, you will find how it was a long time, and it was really different.

Oh I read the thread. There is only one person who makes that claim and how much of that is down to rose-tinted glasses? The game has always been a dog eat dog world.

More of a wolf eat sheep world.

Just seems over the years the wolves keep getting longer legs. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Reskal said:

You got unlucky that's all there is to it.
    Back when I was playing there were kills in High Sec just like there are now. People were using a trick to lure Concord to the other side of a system and then a gank would take place and Concord wouldn't be able to respond in time.

EVE is about blowing up spaceships. Getting blown up is no big deal.

No big deal at least if you aren't the one getting blown up.

Or having to jump through all sorts of additional hoops to keep it from happening due to changes over the years.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    I think it boils down to a mixture of chance and 'situational awareness'.

I've watched people on stream playing for very long stretches of time, hours, and never get touched or bothered by anyone, in hi- or null-...

Then I've watched people where it seems like anywhere they go, there's someone soon to show up and "say hi".

The one main thing I've noticed between the two - though not in all cases - is that those who don't get attacked or ganked seem much more wary of where they are, and where they're going. That, to me, is part of the challenge, even fun, of playing in an open PvP game.

There seems to be a misconception from people about hi-sec. Just because you're in hi-sec, doesn't mean you're safe or protected from these people. If someone doesn't care about the repercussions of destroying your ship, or perhaps is challenging themselves to see if they can pull it off and survive, the color of your region on the star map is going to mean squat to them.

Lineage 2 had a very similar setup. Anywhere outside a town or city was fair game. Closer to a town, you had more protection from guards who would attack any Red/Chaotic player. However, that didn't stop some people from doing so anyway. So, in L2, you had to always be aware of your surroundings and keep a keen eye on chat to see if anyone was warning of Reds/gankers in your area. I fell victim to them on occasion, but by and large, the vast majority of my time in L2 was peaceful, in terms of ganking/griefing.

Over time, I learned to keep my eyes open once I stepped outside a city or town's gates - whether there were guards around or not. It seems playing Eve would benefit from that same outlook. Once you leave the safety of a dock, consider yourself an open target for someone and proceed accordingly.

I don't say this to sound glib or hardcore, but simply to be practical... If playing a game where you could have a bulls-eye on your back at any moment is not your thing, then you probably shouldn't be playing an open PvP game.

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    hfztt said:
    Hariken said:
    Welcome to the new generation of mmo players OP. I also remember how Eve was in those early years and how players had a code of honor about where you pvped in the game. And if someone broke the code you got half the server hunting him down for it. The bounty system was in place just for this. But over the years CCP just let the wolves take over the game and now you have what it is today. You have an ingame option to avoid low sec.space in your map and back then you could play the game in completely safe space. But now there is no where safe. Its to bad CCP let the game get to this point.
    No. That was not how it was. Sorry. That is just wrong. I got ganked in Empire the first time back in the summer of 2003. Same shit back then as now.

m0o was famous for their gank setups in and out of empire. They had no code. That is just bullshit. You kille dpeople when you could, bakc then, and still do today. FA, SA, BOB, Goons, RA. The only honor was about how much meta you brought to the table. Was it OK, to crash a node? Was it OK to influence GM's?

Kills ahve always been kills in EVE. Stop the rose tinted "good ol' days" crap. It just isn't true.
    I remember running iterons through Moo gate camps back then. But of course back then we could use double MwD :P And we all had to have bookmarks to land right on the gate.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Mawnee said:
     back then we could use double MwD :P
    30 seconds through a system ... gate to gate ... good times !

Have fun
    Reskal said:
    So i guess i and several other people played another game then. For long years i played my safe and cosy playstile i enjoyed so much, i have completely other imaginations about eve then the defenders of ganker-style in here and i could live with it very well.
    Yes your threads seem to prove me wrong, but only seem to , because it obviously was possible since the beginning of the game, but was not used that often, that must be the reason then. From around 2011+ much more people used  the ganker style is my impression. After that year it was not possible anymore for me to mine in a t2 barge without getting blown up or flying a mission without being bothered by immature persons.

Don't forget: topic is not about pvp between 2 fighter ships, its about seeking weak targets that cost much money and to destroy them, because such people know how frustrated and hurt other people sit behind the game screen then.
    To allow such behaviour is absolutely indiscussible, CCP is causing pain every day with that system.

Btw, the people in the threads you show are the reasons for prefering me playing solo in eve. No 0.0, no corp, nothing. The same people that click "lol" on every post i do, they go on with the war in here.

I want mechanisms in EVE that prevent very young and childish persons to stop bullying their fellow humans.

I want EVE back.
    No like I just said: it always happened. You just never realised it was a thing that happened until it happened to you.

Malcanis said:
    Reskal said:

I want EVE back.
    No like I just said: it always happened. You just never realised it was a thing that happened until it happened to you.
    While it always happened, the frequency has gone way up, just my opinion.

edited March 2017
    Malcanis said:
    Reskal said:

I want EVE back.
    Well this runs in a circle now. Many people had the same observation: the frequency went up. You were right, it was not as i thought, that there was no suicide ganking. But there was a clear difference between the years to 2011 and after. You saw the difference not only in the happenings of own deaths, but in all the warnings, the behaviour in chat and the general srewing up of the people. They went more and more mad and evil.
    Like when suddenly a horde of thousands of devils joined the game.

To prepare and handle ganking: this means you have to fly cheaper ships, install anti-jammer-modules or platings instead of mine-more-modules or have-more-cargo-space-modules, means: you have slimmed down your fun to avoid bigger mispleasure.
    But i dont want to deal with all that, because pvp is not my world. I've always been a sheep with short legs and a big heart, goal number one to griefers ingame and haters in forums.
    It's like in a fascist political system: the strong survive and the weak get eaten up, but this comes at a price: civilization, values, life quality.
    Only dreamers of sick dreams enjoy the stoneage.
    Kyleran said:
    Malcanis said:
    Reskal said:

I want EVE back.
    While it always happened, the frequency has gone way up, just my opinion.
    And again, people were saying exactly that in 2008. 9 years ago. "Oh sure, it always used to happen, but now it's happening way too often."

And you check, and yeah, sure enough, some dude's hope-tanked Retriever died.

Reskal said:
    Malcanis said:
    Reskal said:

I want EVE back.
    Well this runs in a circle now. Many people had the same observation: the frequency went up. You were right, it was not as i thought, that there was no suicide ganking. But there was a clear difference between the years to 2011 and after. You saw the difference not only in the happenings of own deaths, but in all the warnings, the behaviour in chat and the general srewing up of the people. They went more and more mad and evil.
    Like when suddenly a horde of thousands of devils joined the game.

To prepare and handle ganking: this means you have to fly cheaper ships, install anti-jammer-modules or platings instead of mine-more-modules or have-more-cargo-space-modules, means: you have slimmed down your fun to avoid bigger mispleasure.
    But i dont want to deal with all that, because pvp is not my world. I've always been a sheep with short legs and a big heart, goal number one to griefers ingame and haters in forums.
    It's like in a fascist political system: the strong survive and the weak get eaten up, but this comes at a price: civilization, values, life quality.
    Only dreamers of sick dreams enjoy the stoneage.
    What you're describing is literally the game: balancing risk and reward; making choices that have consequences; interacting with and adapting to other players; non-consensual PvP; EVE is real!

EVE is explicitly marketed as a dark, dystopian sandbox, and it always has been. The only thing that seems to confuse people is that CCP have actually allowed it to be a dark dystopian sandbox, unlike so many games which merely provide a bit of lore and fluff to that effect, but your actual game experience is about as dystopian as a well-staffed nursery school playground.

PvP doesn't have to be your world if you play EVE, you just have to accept that you're sharing the game with other players for whom it is their world. In other words, not wanting to shoot at other people doesn't give you any special privilege of not being shot at. Just as not wanting to mine doesn't give those other players any exemption from paying whatever price you want to set for your minerals.
    Krematory

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I hope Eve never dies because while its still going it keeps all those narcissistic rancid players out of the games I play. :pleased:
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    I hope Eve never dies because while its still going it keeps all those narcissistic rancid players out of the games I play. :pleased:
    I am sure they can play more than one game.

If you were hoping to insult the average EvE player it did not work.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Eve is not meant to be a 'safe space' for carebears. Everything has a measure of risk associated with it, and that is not a bad thing, in Eve you cannot play 'oblivious' to your environment, its a sure fire way to lose your ship, but many people lose their ships to 'stupid' until they learn how to play. ;)
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    The trouble is when you start using terminology like that, is that it tends to be a self application in the eyes of others. :p
    Krematory
    Btw, someone mentioned that CCP will sell EVE to another company ? Does someone know what company that is, and if they will drain ganker-fun ?