Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alpha 2.3 Was Released Exactly One Year Ago Today

CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
This thread is currently at the top of the Star Citizen subreddit and it might be good for some discussion https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/61ptoo/alpha_23_was_released_exactly_one_year_ago_today/

Cloud Imperium Games 2.3 announcement https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15266-Star-Citizen-Alpha-23-Available

P.S. Would be nice if we could forego the arguing and keep the discussion about CIG's plans for the previous year, how they have changed and what those changes mean for the coming year. Thanks.

Comments

• bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    No it wasn't...
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    OK I'll bite!

The plans for last year were not achievable, were not implemented and are currently holding back the plans for this year. B)

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Remember during that time when they made the video about patches every month? And since they were also (according to them) working on the Lumberyard format shouldnt it now be easier? Wasnt that the whole point?

2.0 was the first 'next big thing'. 2.3 was supposed to make it even better. It didnt. Then 3.0 was supposed to add to that, it was announced for Dec 2016. Instead they put out Star Marine. And SQ 42 got put somewhere. When that was at one point going to be the focus (according to one of the videos they do).

So nows its back to praying for 3.0 and how mining is going to be added. Yeah OK. Exactly what does that entail? To do mining in even a rudimentary way you need about 10 things, none of which are in the test bed theyre calling an alpha which include but arent limited to....resource system of any kind, the actual mechanics for mining (whatever those are going to be), the ship (which they have sold how many of?) transfer from the 'node/asteroid' to the ship, a storage place to hold that transfer within the ship, a place to transfer from the ship to ANOTHER storage space (warehouse or floating box if they want to copy EVE), and ultimately a place to sell it, transform it, or 'craft' it into something usable. SO them saying "mining is coming (early)" is just another talking point thaty even if it does come wont be ANYTHING remotely resembling actual 'mining
     other than maybe shooting a rock with a laser and MAYBE getting something from it. I would bet they certainly wont have a mechanic in place where you can actually DO anything with what you 'mined'.

And thats JUST mining, something as simple as it gets in terms of harvesting. How much crafting have they claimed? An economy? Oh yeah I know once they get the 'blueprint' set it will go MUCH faster. Yup THATS the whole point of that reddit. since 2.0 (and the alleged) switch to Lumberyard things have actually slowed down. A 2.0 which was supposed to already have cargo and mining in it, along with what else? Bounty hunting, more missions, salvaging (I think) and a fully operation PU (which theyre not even close to yet).

People also might want to realize that we are 25% into 2017 already and what has come out this year of any substance? I guess its all going to come out all at once? Well for the glass half full guys they have 75% of the year left. But in 30 days that 25% turns to 33%.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited March 2017
    bartoni33 said:
    The plans for last year were not achievable, were not implemented and are currently holding back the plans for this year. B)
    I think instead of holding back the plans for this year, they became the plans for this year. I remember Erin Roberts exactly 1 year ago as well (really! *) about the PG Planets and such being stuff to release in 2016, so it was 2016 the year of PG when unveiled in 2015... RIP Plans aside...

2017 is really about 3.0. And with 2.6.2 releasing all the eyes will be looking for the next major release Production Schedule.

That's all they need right now, independent of how close or far it is, they need the schedule public so we know what to expect, and its status on all the dev fronts for its features.

http://scqa.info/?keywords=this_year&show=10FTC&episode=80&qid=6
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    this game cracks me up.  i can't wait for it to come out, ppl are going to make fun of it soooo much. hahah

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    bartoni33 said:
    I think instead of holding back the plans for this year, they became the plans for this year. I remember Erin Roberts exactly 1 year ago as well (really! *) about the PG Planets and such being stuff to release in 2016, so it was 2016 the year of PG when unveiled in 2015... RIP Plans aside...

2017 is really about 3.0. And with 2.6.2 releasing all the eyes will be looking for the next major release Production Schedule.

That's all they need right now, independent of how close or far it is, they need the schedule public so we know what to expect, and its status on all the dev fronts for its features.

Why isn't the production schedule released now? With 3.0 I mean. It's the production schedule so it should already exist right?
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited March 2017
    Meanwhile .....

Alpha 2.6.2 Patch is out. 
    Drake Bucaneer testing ongoing.

i rather test and play what is there than theorycraft about 2.3, what it was or what it should have been. 

Have fun
    edited March 2017
    Kefo said:
    Why isn't the production schedule released now? With 3.0 I mean. It's the production schedule so it should already exist right?
    Yeah, then the stuff that got delayed past 2.6 was put on instead within 2.6.x.

Now after 2.6.2 gets released the next major update schedule is what everyone is expecting.
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    The only thing that matters is that there is no game and no release date anywhere in the near future despite the nearly 6 years in development and 100million spent. This continues to be the biggest shitshow in gaming development. 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    bartoni33 said:

No, I think that they have the features that will be "included" in 3.0. That's available right on their website. The schedule itself wouldn't be set until after the prior release. There's probably some road maps, but they haven't actually attached dates to it, is my thinking. Should be interesting to see what's on that schedule once it's actually released. Based on what they've said, 3.0 should signify the culmination of game features into something cohesive. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

donger56 said:
    The only thing that matters is that there is no game and no release date anywhere in the near future despite the nearly 6 years in development and 100million spent. This continues to be the biggest shitshow in gaming development. 

5 years in development and, honestly, if we're really splitting hairs, it's probably less because the staff was ramped up. Someone who gives a fuck can probably link staff over time and then someone can judge their progress against other similar projects and make comparisons using logic. That's all a venture in futility, though, right? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    donger56 said:
    So many wrong facts in such a few sentences ;-)

No proof for claims either.

I accept your OPINION .... although I do not share it. 

Have fun
    edited March 2017
    CrazKanuk said:
    No, I think that they have the features that will be "included" in 3.0. That's available right on their website. The schedule itself wouldn't be set until after the prior release. 
    They had the roadmap planned features, yeah, the schedule was to be out on January (for 3.0 that is), but they were working on 2.6.1 and 2.6.2, the schedule released is for the next release so 3.0 was not added to it.

After 2.6.2, what is to expect is the jump to 3.0 (or the possibility of 2.7 if they decide so)
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I think they're really great at doing concepts but their ability to fully execute those concepts need a lot of work.  They appear to be a concept heavy company.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited March 2017
    I think they're really great at doing concepts but their ability to fully execute those concepts need a lot of work.  They appear to be a concept heavy company.  
    You're confusing the concept with design, a concept is a conceptual idea, the design is what is set to be executed. And the design section is a big department on any game development, everything will go through concept to design to execution. And guess what, in all of them the execution is obviously what needs a lot of time and work.

I would agree if you said they are a prototype heavy company, because they are constantly prototyping features/tech to see what will work or not, how it would work and what they can do with it.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017
    I can judge what they have done because i know what the heck i am looking at and understand how much time and effort it takes.
    w/o dissecting every last square inch i will say two things,their effort has been extremely subpar to looking like an amateur operation to blatantly repeating stuff every time they make a video or make claims of work/progress.

You can't mention or show past work you already took credit for doing last time or the time before but this team likes to do that.

I also do not like the way hey seem to label VERY minute work as being some new numbered update 2.01 2.02 2.3 whatever number they attach is meaningless.
    A numbered system of updates should be attached to a whole new section of development and not every time someone writs a line of code or changed one line of animation movement on a model.

Example in one aspect you might call it 1.0 because your working on the combat structure then 2.0 the ships then 3.0 the worlds etc etc,not each line of code.

I watched that video in that other thread and i seriously started laughing then actually became annoyed because the guy was rambling on numbers after numbers 2.2 1.4 3.2 2.5 it was hilariously bad.Even worse is he managed to ramble on about ships and numbers for like an hour or however long it was,i couldn't take anymore.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I remember CR did state at one of the cons last year that updates would go from every month to every three months.  Which would mean 3.0 by the end of 2017.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017
    Point being ,i want to see FINISHED stages of work not more promises,not everytime someone goes to get a coffee or so called "improvements".
    When they created those |stretch goals" those were suppose to be ideas that get FINISHED not just promises or we need to improve on them,start showing us what your FINISHING and forget all this crap with numbers like 2.2 and 2.3 just finished work....please!.

I will show an example of a professional studio and how it should be done.This is one guy's work and he never showed us every stage,he showed us his FINISHED work..ONE guy put it together,although a few people made the textures and stuff.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited March 2017
    Wizardry said:
    When they created those |stretch goals" those were suppose to be ideas that get FINISHED not just promises or we need to improve on them,stat showing us what your FINISHING and forget al lthis crap 
    Then you don't know what one iterative development process is.

If you are developing a feature by iterations, it won't just be FINISHED and that's it, it will continue to improve towards finished every iteration it gets.

Call them amateurs by doing so but that's how SC develops on every front. They don't finish X feature and move to Y, they finish the first iteration of X feature as they work on the second iteration of Y.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iterative_and_incremental_development
    edited March 2017
    Wizardry said:
    I can judge what they have done because i know what the heck i am looking at and understand how much time and effort it takes.
    w/o dissecting every last square inch i will say two things,their effort has been extremely subpar to looking like an amateur operation to blatantly repeating stuff every time they make a video or make claims of work/progress.

You can't mention or show past work you already took credit for doing last time or the time before but this team likes to do that.

I also do not like the way hey seem to label VERY minute work as being some new numbered update 2.01 2.02 2.3 whatever number they attach is meaningless.
    A numbered system of updates should be attached to a whole new section of development and not every time someone writs a line of code or changed one line of animation movement on a model.

Example in one aspect you might call it 1.0 because your working on the combat structure then 2.0 the ships then 3.0 the worlds etc etc,not each line of code.

I watched that video in that other thread and i seriously started laughing then actually became annoyed because the guy was rambling on numbers after numbers 2.2 1.4 3.2 2.5 it was hilariously bad.Even worse is he managed to ramble on about ships and numbers for like an hour or however long it was,i couldn't take anymore.

I find it funny that you claim that you "can judge what they have done because i know what the heck i am looking at" and yet you don't seem to have ANY concept about build numbers, lol (re: I also do not like the way hey seem to label VERY minute work as being some new numbered update 2.01). 

There are certainly deviations as far as how software versioning is performed by different companies or projects, but if you can't even wrap your head around the concept of versioning or if you can't easily identify their versioning strategy with SC then you certainly do NOT know what you're looking at because you clearly haven't ever worked on a software project. 
    Post edited by CrazKanuk on

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited March 2017
    By the time the game actually launches (if it does), the people that are in the alpha/beta phases will be 5 years ahead of anyone who joins at launch.....This si the danger of letting people donate/buy their way into betas....It creates a huge advantage over anyone who buys the game at launch.