Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battle.net Renamed Into Blizzard Launcher - MMORPG.com News

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageBattle.net Renamed Into Blizzard Launcher - MMORPG.com News

After 21 years the Battle.net name has been retired and will now be known just as Blizzard launcher. Battle.net was originally developed and released as a communications platform for co-op mode of original Diablo on 1996. Since then it evolved into a launcher for all Blizzard games, including World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch.

Read the full story here

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Blizzxit.

beLIEve

• Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192
    You put overwatch in there twice lol

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    edited March 2017

You put overwatch in there twice lol

Too much Overwatch for author's own good. :lol:

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    That's how to tell if someone really likes Overwatch. :)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Still not sure why. Battle.net is a well known name by now. It's easy to remember given that it's short. On top of that, it's "battle.net", not "battle.whateveryouwant", it's really poignant. And Blizzard partially gave up their own name after signing up with Activision. Some people only see "Activision". And given that clunky name, they might even change it to a single name, which might be neither Activision or Blizzard, which means they would have to rename their launcher. Or they might include other games there, e.g. Activisions..

And "Blizzard Launcher" is just so bland. There's a reason it's "Origin", "Glyph", "Uplay" and so on.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    This makes me sad.
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Anireth said:
    Still not sure why. Battle.net is a well known name by now. It's easy to remember given that it's short. On top of that, it's "battle.net", not "battle.whateveryouwant", it's really poignant. And Blizzard partially gave up their own name after signing up with Activision. Some people only see "Activision". And given that clunky name, they might even change it to a single name, which might be neither Activision or Blizzard, which means they would have to rename their launcher. Or they might include other games there, e.g. Activisions..

And "Blizzard Launcher" is just so bland. There's a reason it's "Origin", "Glyph", "Uplay" and so on.
    To know why you must think in corporate. It sounded good to the person that makes the decisions, that's pretty much it. 
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    says blizzard app on my computer, not blizzard launcher.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited March 2017
    jgDuffay said:
    says blizzard app on my computer, not blizzard launcher.
    Semantics. For Pete's sake. Some people live to nitpick. It is Blizzard. It is a launcher. Hence the title, capitalized as grammatically correct, says "Blizzard Launcher". In the body text, you'll note is with a lowercase "l" meaning it's not part of the official name, just that it is a launcher. LOL :D

I suppose it's the same reason many people called the BattleNet app the Battlenet launcher to differentiate it from the web site. Calling it the Blizzard launcher differentiates it from the company. It's just differences in how people name things. O.o

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Finally, been waiting for this for a long time.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Good bye world.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Honestly the best thing they could do is hold on to whatever connections that had to their roots. Since Activision came into the scene they have began to slowly change from all about dem sweet ass games to what can they squeeze the most money out of.

"Well yea, they gotta make money!", sure, and they have made TONS just off of their fandom. It has gone beyond that though imo. Now they just copy game types that have successful micro transactions. Battle.net was a big game changer and I suppose it seems fitting that they get away from that mentality now days...

*huge fan boy til Diablo 3 showed me the light.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    It's a simple branding change.  Happens in business all the time.  I remember railing... RAILING I tell you when Kentucky Fried Chicken changed to 'KFC'  Now that was truly a day that lives in infamy.

I self identify as a monkey.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited March 2017
    Phixion13 said:
    Honestly the best thing they could do is hold on to whatever connections that had to their roots. Since Activision came into the scene they have began to slowly change from all about dem sweet ass games to what can they squeeze the most money out of.

"Well yea, they gotta make money!", sure, and they have made TONS just off of their fandom. It has gone beyond that though imo. Now they just copy game types that have successful micro transactions. Battle.net was a big game changer and I suppose it seems fitting that they get away from that mentality now days...

*huge fan boy til Diablo 3 showed me the light.
    Honestly, I think that Blizzard is moving away from its history -- Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft -- and moving on to the new -- Overwatch with its professional esports teams, Hearthstone, even Heroes of the Storm. Smaller teams, esports potential and big bucks. They don't need the old games the way they used to. They'll keep them going on life support and squeeze every cent they can out of them but, in the end, it's the new they're looking at. 

I can't say that that's a bad thing -- all things change, evolve and move on -- but it makes me kind of sad. BattleNet is just the latest victim of "progress".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I read somewhere that Blizzard also wanted to get away from that "Battle" term because of kids, parents... blabla.
    Can't remember anymore where i picked that up, it was already some month ago.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    I thought it got renamed to Blizzard App

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    SBFord said:
    Honestly, I think that Blizzard is moving away from its history -- Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft -- and moving on to the new -- Overwatch with its professional esports teams, Hearthstone, even Heroes of the Storm. Smaller teams, esports potential and big bucks. They don't need the old games the way they used to. They'll keep them going on life support and squeeze every cent they can out of them but, in the end, it's the new they're looking at. 

I can't say that that's a bad thing -- all things change, evolve and move on -- but it makes me kind of sad. BattleNet is just the latest victim of "progress".
    Hearthstone - Warcraft verse, Heroes - all their IP verses. They still need them big time considering the games they moved on to are nothing new, but have the IP's their fans know and love.

Their fan base will follow to new IP's cause they have brand recognition and the Apple fan types that will buy up all they can without question. Do they make good games? Sure, no doubt. The problem is that they have lost their soul - something that happens to any company that bloats up like that. 

True its just a name and all things come to a pass, but the companies changes over even the past decade show that the developer we fell in love with just isn't the same; and while I'm all good with progress or evolution, the charm is simply gone.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited March 2017
    OMG Keep It BattleNet... This change is stupid BattleNet is a better name.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't see any reasoning or purpose,about all i can think of is some over paid exec needed to warrant his/her salary so needed to do something.Then likely played golf or somehow kissed ass with Kotick and got it ok'd.

Overall pretty meaningless really.

On the same note,i have had nothing but problems with the Blizzard app since their last update,it freezes and literally locks up my computer and no other app or game does that.So after avoiding the delete and new install,i am now going to try a new install.

I hate issues like this with a passion and hen i checked online MANY others also using notebooks had problems.So obviously very little if any testing done,just release it and let people deal with it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Man, that new name is CATCHY!
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    DMKano said:
    Its just a name change/rebranding.

everything is still the same.
    Yeah, they could used a little more imagination but beside the lame name nothing have changed and it isn't like Origin is such a great name either or UPlay for that matter.

Then again, better to save the good names for games.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited March 2017
    Bah Origin is a bad name IMO, and UPlay meh I don't really like either the UI could be better...

I won't be buying anymore of either companies games anyways because they are throwing in Denuvo... Screw that DRM everyone argues me about how its okay, but I disagree I don't want something that I can't fully uninstall on my system or better said with the Terms OF Service they make me agree to if I wan't to play the game... The games are fine, its Denuvo thats Malicious.

But anyways at least with BattleNet its a better name, and better layout compared to the other two.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    The word "battle" is not politically correct even though we commit murder in all their games on a daily basis.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    BruceYee said:
    The word "battle" is not politically correct even though we commit murder in all their games on a daily basis.
    I don't think thats the issue (at least I hope it isn't so), sounds more like some smart@ss at marketing decided he wanted to show off to his boss without actually doing any work. Picked the first name he thought off and just went for it.

Yeah, I live under the illusion that market guys are a bunch of useless (and probably drunk) people based on the ones I worked with ("Can you clean that CNN machine a bit more so it shines" seems more important to them then the products quality).
  • RegnorRegnor Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Can anyone explain to me just why the fuck I should care about this name change?

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes