Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Celebrating 5 Years Of Subscriptions

Comments

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Am I the only one that finds it completely insane that they offer a subscription option for a game that isn't even released yet? 
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Am I the only one that finds it completely insane that they offer a subscription option for a game that isn't even released yet? 
    If you are misinformed, yes. If you are informed, no (as you would know the sub is not a game sub so it doesn't relate to it being released  or not).
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Amazing
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    MaxBacon said:
    If you are misinformed, yes. If you are informed, no (as you would know the sub is not a game sub so it doesn't relate to it being released  or not).
    Still seems insane. Do they not have enough money from crowdfunding for the game and the community stuff?
    edited March 2017
    Still seems insane. Do they not have enough money from crowdfunding for the game and the community stuff?
    The point that made the community subs to happen was... The money funded to the game was to go towards game dev.

This is why the subs are excluded from the game's funding counter. Their point is expanding community content, they hired people that directly work on that, supporting as well the events they do like Gamescon. This is simply, if the community is willing to support that, so it happens, so it did and still does.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Something so simple made out to be a the crazyist thing ever. 

These forums never fail to surprise me.

Simple: The sub is not going towards the game. People out of their own choice donate towards community driven content.

This is something that has been in from the start, tbh think it just shows how little people who seem to scream the loudest about the project actually know :/

Oh well, predict another 10 pages of nothing
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well it at least made me smile and chuckle a bit.No cheap psychology talk just plain FACT,there are millions of communities on the internet that do not cost a single penny.Now the VALUE of each content is obviously up to the individual,honestly speaking i do not see anything worth the same value as subbing to a full finished game in the SC community.

MOST of the community stuff is relayed to people for FREE anyhow because they use it as marketing/advertising.

I might tend to give the SC ceo's props for being able to so easily exploit people to sub to a game not a game yet but seems money is flying around everywhere in gaming like it was growing on trees.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited March 2017
    Herase said:
    This is something that has been in from the start, tbh think it just shows how little people who seem to scream the loudest about the project actually know :/
    Yup, 5 years later... A Thread on MMORPG.com implodes about the community subs... 

All this hate for something that represents a fraction of the Backers supporting what everyone gets for free (backer or not)... Oh well.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited March 2017
    The ultimate idiocy, subbing to a game that does not exist.  Did not know there were so many gullible people out there.

If you think that comment is hate, you are completely clueless.
    edited March 2017
    Ozmodan said:
    The ultimate idiocy, subbing to a game that does not exist.  Did not know there were so many gullible people out there.

If you think that comment is hate, you are completely clueless.
    You're insulting the people who support the community-subs of SC.

How is that not one hate comment?
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Erillion said:

There are no known numbers how many people are subscribers. I can only tell the numbers from my own personally known circle of SC backers - about one fourth (down from one third ... there are many more backers now) are subscribers. Of those, about one forth are Imperator subscribers, three fourth are Centurion subscribers.

So your "own personally known circle of SC backers" is around 300,000 people?  Because if not, your numbers are incredibly made up. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I'm wondering what the SC community wouldn't pay for...related to the game.  What would be too far?
    Mardukk said:
    I'm wondering what the SC community wouldn't pay for...related to the game.  What would be too far?
    Did you know... the SC community pays for the toilet paper they use at the bathroom?!

I know right, mind-blowing!
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    MaxBacon said:
    CIG could have the weekly/monthly newsletter, the forums and Spectrum to keep backers informed and it would still be more than enough. This multi chat show crap is just useless information overload.

If they stopped this so-called community content what would be missed?
    There's people who pay for it, there's people who want that extra layer of community content, what clearly shows when some shows were off-air for quite a bit and the subs asked them back. In fact thanks to them, several people are employed at CIG (jobs tying directly to that content). Most certainly that money is also supporting the setup of the bigger shows like the presentations at Gamescon and such.

So a scam as you call it, a scam people want, like and pay for, that everyone gets for free.
    If the shows were off-air then of course people were asking for them back, after all they were now paying for something and not getting it.... :)

I don't care about the saving jerbs things, it's still a pile of crap no matter what light you hold it under.

If we didn't have these shows very little of importance would be lost. Like so much that comes from CIG, rebranding stuff that everyone else does already and charging you extra to do it....

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Herase said:

Much like the delivered game eh?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Whats the SQ42 news? More mo cap being done?
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    edited March 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Herase said:

Why nothing,amusing weekend laughs,classic haters vs fanboys with trolls,I hope this game will never release and we can keep on going forever like this  hahaha :pleased:

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    wow that sucks so hardcore.  i feel terrible for those who have spent 5 years of subs on this "game" still yet to have a go live date ready.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    MaxBacon said:
    Maybe once backer money stops flowing, they finally feel the much needed pressure to deliver?
    That analogy is flawed really, you can imply that they purposely are developing the game slowly to get more money...

But here's some info... on development, time IS money, the company costs millions a month to maintain, only the base costs of almost over +360 employees is +2 Million a month alone.

So the point self-defeats itself because the time is not independent of the money it costs, it would just make the same thing more expensive to make instead.
    What analogy (you might want to look that word up)?

Your time is money platitude is besides the point I was trying to make.

Without actual investors that demand results or simply a limited budget, I see a lack of pressure for delivering a working game within a planned schedule. As long as the backer sub money flows and ship packages are sold, why bother making a long term schedule at all?
    Just throw around some vague pointers at possible future dates. I mean there is no problem if you don't deliver, because new money keeps coming in.

I am very curious how the current yearly revenue is from subs and ship selling. I would like to know how that compares to yearly dev costs atm. Because atm it looks as if backers are just funding the running of a company and not so much an actual game with clear features as endgoal.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Hedeon said:
    Erillion said:
    When is this game coming out? 
    No fixed date. No official announcement. "When its done"....

My personal estimate:

Squadron 42 solo game (first part, of three) ... sometime 2017 (most likely before X-Mas)

Persistent Universe Multiplayer Game (selected systems, not the full 100)  .... second half 2018

Full PE (100+ systems, all ships) ... 2019

Have fun

and last year you would have said sometime 2016, 2017 and 2019

yeap just for fun ;)
    I am saying the same numbers since 2012.

5 years development for first results was and is my estimate.

Have fun
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Kyleran said:
    Herase said:

Thank you for proving my point
    Rhoklaw said:
    The only thing I found informative in this thread was the Scientology comparison.

@flizzer Spot on man, spot on.
    That comparison is only 2, maybe 3 years old by now.

And you will find memes, videos and whatnot about it. Even here in this subforum.

Favorite analogy used by the Goon/SA.com  trolls and their Internet Warlord fan from Florida.

Have fun
    Talonsin said:
    Erillion said:

There are no known numbers how many people are subscribers. I can only tell the numbers from my own personally known circle of SC backers - about one fourth (down from one third ... there are many more backers now) are subscribers. Of those, about one forth are Imperator subscribers, three fourth are Centurion subscribers.

So your "own personally known circle of SC backers" is around 300,000 people?  Because if not, your numbers are incredibly made up. 
    I personally know around 70 people that play Star Citizen.

BarCitizen parties are great for meeting fellow fans.

You can think whatever you want. I do not care .... it does not change the numbers i mentioned. You may WISH it to be different - try mindbending reality.

Have fun
  • BrunlinBrunlin Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited March 2017
    When is this game coming out? 

There is no reason for the game to ever come out, as they seem to be making all their money now. I imagine, however  when people start to dwindle and they milked it for all they can,than they will release something. Im not against the game but just pointing out some obvious facts here.

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    I've spent close to a Grand for several years now not sure if I had to do all over again that I would.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
This discussion has been closed.