Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking Roleplay To New Heights - GM Asks For PK Essay - Black Desert Online - MMORPG.com

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageTaking Roleplay To New Heights - GM Asks For PK Essay - Black Desert Online - MMORPG.com

Black Desert Online News - After a long string of offenses against roleplaying community by a player named Kimochi, a Black Desert Online GM took matters into his own hands. GM Rothaaz contacted the player in question to discuss his behavior. Rather than outright ban him, the GM suggested a way "redeem" himself through a 501-word Roleplay essay focused on the story of Kimochi.

Read the full story here


«1

Comments

  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,235
    edited March 2017
    This was a unique approach by the GM and surprisingly the player also decided to play along making an interesting story. Although the first part read like soft porn I suppose that was why it got deleted from the forums.

  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,447
    Perma Ban the IP problem solved.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ThaneThane Member RarePosts: 3,447

    Elsabolts said:

    Perma Ban the IP problem solved.



    lol, just if his IP is static, which is most likely won't be :)

    IP bans are so outdated

    "I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,721
    Not the way I handled things back in my days but I have to admit it's an interesting approach.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,771
    A game that actually respects roleplayers?! Like the early 2000's all over again.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Glad to see GMs have more creative ways to approach issues. This was more entertaining than reading a rant about someone being banned.


  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 8,953
    That was a nice way to handle it.
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 814
    edited March 2017
    Why not give him a trophy and call him king of the RP'ers, lol.

    For someone who was a minor annoyance and who had redeemable qualities, maybe this is a valid approach. Not for someone who takes things to extremes.

    For someone like this it should have been a straight out perma ban. Stop coddling people and remove ass hats from the community. Period. End of Story.

    The foundation of all law began over 3500 years ago. "Anu and Bel called by name me, Hammurabi, the exalted prince, who feared God, to bring about the rule of righteousness in the land, to destroy the wicked and the evil-doers; so that the strong should not harm the weak; so that I should rule over the black-headed people like Shamash, and enlighten the land, to further the well-being of mankind."  -Hammurabi's Code, Prologue
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 618
    cool :))) reminds me why i love mmorpgs.

    image


    Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Reply
    Add Multi-Quote

  • RakujiRakuji Member UncommonPosts: 144
    I am sorry what he hacking and Pk'n? or just PK'n? Cause pretty sure after lvl 35 or 40 u are open game. Been awhile since I've last played BDO. But what I don't get is why PK'n would be a GM issue in the first place. If the dev's feel like it's punishable they should take it out of open world. Why punish those that have been given the ability to do it in the first place. Same goes in flippin WoW if your on a pvp server shouldn't get banned for open world pvp. Tell you who should be banned are the cry babies that play a pvp based game and can't handle it. GTFO

    Kick to the Face.

  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

    Thane said:



    Elsabolts said:


    Perma Ban the IP problem solved.






    lol, just if his IP is static, which is most likely won't be :)



    IP bans are so outdated






    Agreed. Most ISPs providing non-business services rotate the ips on customer's modems periodically.
  • velimiriusvelimirius Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Who knows what ungodly amount of cash he left in their shop, so ofc it would be a shame to ban him straight :)
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,536
    Rakuji said:
    I am sorry what he hacking and Pk'n? or just PK'n? Cause pretty sure after lvl 35 or 40 u are open game. Been awhile since I've last played BDO. But what I don't get is why PK'n would be a GM issue in the first place. If the dev's feel like it's punishable they should take it out of open world. Why punish those that have been given the ability to do it in the first place. Same goes in flippin WoW if your on a pvp server shouldn't get banned for open world pvp. Tell you who should be banned are the cry babies that play a pvp based game and can't handle it. GTFO
    Seriously?  And you have the gall to wonder why the GM had to talk to the PK'er?  Killing someone is normal in a PVP game.  Doing it over and over again is harassment.   You should look up the word as you evidently have no clue what it means.  Rather important you understand the difference as such behavior will get you banned even in a PVP game.  

    It is no wonder why PVP games get such a bad rap when you have players like the above.

  • BalticthunderBalticthunder Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Heh, I can imagine what kind of roleplaying is going on in this game :P
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,580
    edited March 2017


    Who knows what ungodly amount of cash he left in their shop, so ofc it would be a shame to ban him straight :)



    Yep game companies give all players "internal score" based on how much/long they played, what kind of influence they have on other players and obviously how much they spend on the game.

    High scoring players are treated very differently than "shit tier" players (never spends any money, plays solo, not guilded and very short playtime).

    If this was a low rank player they would have been banned without even a second thought.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    What were his actual offenses?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 1,887

    Elsabolts said:

    Perma Ban the IP problem solved.



    You don't ban IPs anymore. You ban the credit card, flag the home address, etc.


    MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,728
    DMKano said:


    Who knows what ungodly amount of cash he left in their shop, so ofc it would be a shame to ban him straight :)



    Yep game companies give all players "internal score" based on how much/long they played, what kind of influence they have on other players and obviously how much they spend on the game.

    High scoring players are treated very differently than "shit tier" players (never spends any money, plays solo, not guilded and very short playtime).

    If this was a low rank player they would have been banned without even a second thought.
    That's what I always suspected, Kano.

    My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

    https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,384
    DMKano said:


    Who knows what ungodly amount of cash he left in their shop, so ofc it would be a shame to ban him straight :)



    Yep game companies give all players "internal score" based on how much/long they played, what kind of influence they have on other players and obviously how much they spend on the game.

    High scoring players are treated very differently than "shit tier" players (never spends any money, plays solo, not guilded and very short playtime).

    If this was a low rank player they would have been banned without even a second thought.
    That's what I always suspected, Kano.
    Have never seen any proof of such a score, so take this with a grain of salt.

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,384
    Ozmodan said:
    Rakuji said:
    I am sorry what he hacking and Pk'n? or just PK'n? Cause pretty sure after lvl 35 or 40 u are open game. Been awhile since I've last played BDO. But what I don't get is why PK'n would be a GM issue in the first place. If the dev's feel like it's punishable they should take it out of open world. Why punish those that have been given the ability to do it in the first place. Same goes in flippin WoW if your on a pvp server shouldn't get banned for open world pvp. Tell you who should be banned are the cry babies that play a pvp based game and can't handle it. GTFO
    Seriously?  And you have the gall to wonder why the GM had to talk to the PK'er?  Killing someone is normal in a PVP game.  Doing it over and over again is harassment.   You should look up the word as you evidently have no clue what it means.  Rather important you understand the difference as such behavior will get you banned even in a PVP game.  

    It is no wonder why PVP games get such a bad rap when you have players like the above.

    Fairly certain his punishment was not for pking, rather for spamming chat incessantly with anti roleplayer hate.

    He said he plans to go back to pking role players regularly, but without the spam.

    Unless there is a specific rule in the TOS against griefing (which should never really be in a FFA PVP game) then he should not be punished as long as he's not hacking or exploiting.

    I'm as carebear as they come, but virtual worlds need their villians. >:)

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Elsabolts said:
    Perma Ban the IP problem solved.
    Uhm, I can change my IP in 30 seconds to a whole bunch from over the entire world so that work great, right? It do affect my ping a bit though but with modern VPN servers an IP ban is just an annoyance.

    In any case here they tried to solve the problem in a rather unique way and maybe actually got through to the offender so he/she just wont change IP/character or game and continue to chat grief people.

    I like it, it is clever but not something that would work in any situation. They can always ban him/her for real if the lesson don't get through.

    It is one thing to get ganked now and then in a PvP game, that you have to live with but in the chat you can harass a whole bunch of people constantly be they women, people of different religions or people who prefer playing in a different way and that is not okay, stuff like that seriously both hurt the game and make the community toxic so it needs to be dealt with.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,884
    edited March 2017
    They need to perma ban the Ip , thats a start , also the credit card/cards(put name on watchlist) used on any purchases and the EMail acct , and Delete the current acct , .. This will send the message to the fuggin idiots that deserve it , Now they can get a new ip , a new e mail, a new credit card and start a new acct over , But for most a lesson is learned , if not rinse/repeat till you knock the fuggin stupid out of them and wear them down with this process.. This is easy enough to do for any Dev , if they desire to ... And a meaningdul soulution

  • West_LightzWest_Lightz Member UncommonPosts: 22

    Ozmodan said:


    Rakuji said:

    I am sorry what he hacking and Pk'n? or just PK'n? Cause pretty sure after lvl 35 or 40 u are open game. Been awhile since I've last played BDO. But what I don't get is why PK'n would be a GM issue in the first place. If the dev's feel like it's punishable they should take it out of open world. Why punish those that have been given the ability to do it in the first place. Same goes in flippin WoW if your on a pvp server shouldn't get banned for open world pvp. Tell you who should be banned are the cry babies that play a pvp based game and can't handle it. GTFO


    Seriously?  And you have the gall to wonder why the GM had to talk to the PK'er?  Killing someone is normal in a PVP game.  Doing it over and over again is harassment.   You should look up the word as you evidently have no clue what it means.  Rather important you understand the difference as such behavior will get you banned even in a PVP game.  

    It is no wonder why PVP games get such a bad rap when you have players like the above.




    Killing someone in an open world pvp game is harassment? LOL just go for a walk, no more "harassment".
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,499
    "I Put on My Robe and Wizard Hat" would be a good start.

  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Scorchien said:
    They need to perma ban the Ip , thats a start , also the credit card/cards(put name on watchlist) used on any purchases and the EMail acct , and Delete the current acct , .. This will send the message to the fuggin idiots that deserve it , Now they can get a new ip , a new e mail, a new credit card and start a new acct over , But for most a lesson is learned , if not rinse/repeat till you knock the fuggin stupid out of them and wear them down with this process.. This is easy enough to do for any Dev , if they desire to ... And a meaningdul soulution

    A new paypal account, a new hotmail and just change the IP on their VPN server, people who do this kind of things tend to be stubborn. Or they change the game and annoy people in something else instead.

    And that is just if you have a static IP, with a dynamic it changes by itself at times and you could just turn it on and off in the command prompt otherwise until you get a new. In fact could you get the IP yourself if you have the same ISP and suddenly be banned so IP banning is often a bad idea. You do often keep the same IP for months even with dynamic IP so it might work if the perp have zero computer skill but it is risky.

    Here a GM actually tried a holistic solution instead that might fix the problem for good, your solution can always be implemented after if the lesson don't work.
Sign In or Register to comment.