Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Celebrating 5 Years Of Subscriptions

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited March 2017
    bartoni33 said:
    See how easy it is?
    Very fascinating.
    Well I guess I'll have to go with... You clearly don't understand game development!

Five years of subscriptions to a game that has not yet released and is probably still quite far from release is pretty unprecedented, I think.
    Because it is not a game sub, yet a community sub. That was always the point of the subs, in every single show, stream and such they have done on the past 5 years they always thank one group of people, the ones who pay for it.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    MaxBacon said:
    bartoni33 said:
    See how easy it is?
    Very fascinating.
    Well I guess I'll have to go with... You clearly don't understand game development!
    You obviously didn't see my post before yours.

And while I don't completely understand Game Development I do understand Developer Incompetence, as well as Greed and Preying on the Gullible. One most definitely applies here, the other two might if you have a very low opinion of CR/CIG. My opinion of CR is terribad, CIG is much more optimistic.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Five years of subscriptions to a game that has not yet released and is probably still quite far from release is pretty unprecedented, I think.
    You may want to understand that the voluntary subs are NOT for supporting the game development, but for supporting the COMMUNITY  (creating a community magazine called "Jump Point", video blogs a la "ATV" or "10 for the XXX" with questions from subscribers, community items like the JP paper volumes etc. ).

So for these voluntary community subscriptions it does not matter wether the game has been released or not.

You are correct that this may be unprecedented.

In my observation the Star Citizen community is a very dedicated, very supportive community.

There are some that might say "CIG got enough money, why ask for subscriptions?" That is 2020 hindsight. Back when subscriptions started there was not even a dream of raising 145 M$. But people continue being subscribers. Because they like it and consider those things they get good value for money.

Have fun
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    flizzer said:
    Is this a joke?  There is no actual game yet.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Kyleran said:
    flizzer said:
    flizzer said:

Subscribers are quickly becoming the gaming equilvalent of Scientologists.

OMG! I was literally just making that very same comparison!
    Might be me accurate to call them Citizenologists at this point
    I'm thinking the Scientology folks are taking notes.
    Lol, too funny but I think it's the other way around and CR and company studied the tricks of Scientology in preparations for his upcoming game and how to fund it.
    edited March 2017
    bartoni33 said:

And while I don't completely understand Game Development I do understand Developer Incompetence, as well as Greed and Preying on the Gullible. One most definitely applies here, the other two might if you have a very low opinion of CR/CIG. My opinion of CR is terribad, CIG is much more optimistic.
    O.o! I wasn't even serious and go all "I'm terriserious.". Oh dear!
    /runs away quickly
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Wow simply incredible. This is what the industry has come to. People willing to subscribe to a concept of a game. Sad day.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    edited March 2017
    So .. welcome to all those that needed 5 (!) years to discover that there are voluntary community subscriptions in Star Citizen.

Its on the official homepage.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/subscriptions

Its in the video gaming press e.g.:
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citizen/star-citizen-has-invented-the-12-monthly-development-subscription

Its in the Star Citizen WIKI
    http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Subscriptions

And its only been mentioned  IN EVERY SINGLE COMMUNITY VIDEO BLOG right at the start (and usually end also !).

Yeah, some need a bit more time than others ....

Have fun
    edited March 2017
    bcbully said:
    Wow simply incredible. This is what the industry has come to. People willing to subscribe to a concept of a game. Sad day.
    Its called crowdfunding. And gave us some of the best games in recent years. More to come.

Have fun
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    MaxBacon said:
    bartoni33 said:

O.o! I wasn't even serious and go all "I'm terriserious.". Oh dear!
    /runs away quickly
    Yep re-reading that now I see your intentions.

Sorry it's early and I'm not feeling well. :(

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

edited March 2017
    Erillion said:
    And its only been mentioned  IN EVERY SINGLE COMMUNITY VIDEO BLOG right at the start (and usually end also !).
    Yup, it was always "brought to you by". And they always thanked for the past 5 years the subscribers at the end of their community content.

idk how people can miss that the subs pay up for the community content, there are employees paid from it and to work on it.

Not to talk that the subs are excluded from the funds raised for the game dev.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Why launch when the profits are so high in alpha?
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    MaxBacon said:
    bartoni33 said:
    See how easy it is?
    Very fascinating.

Because it is not a game sub, yet a community sub. That was always the point of the subs, in every single show, stream and such they have done on the past 5 years they always thank one group of people, the ones who pay for it.
    Pay for shows, streams, but not for a game so far.

I just wonder with the money flowing in and apparently not stopping anytime soon, what is the incentive to actually release the game? Because that would stop backer money streams. And there would be no sub for the game, right? So, won't it be more interesting to keep this never ending development cycle going as long as possible?

Maybe once backer money stops flowing, they finally feel the much needed pressure to deliver?
    edited March 2017
    Why launch when the profits are so high in alpha?
    Because i personally do not think that THIS dev team does it for money and profit.

Personal impression, based on meeting some of them during video game shows (GamesCom) and during BarCitizen meets.

It was my impression that they want the game out as much (or more) as any dedicated fan. But only AFTER it is as perfect as they can possibly make it.

Have fun
    edited March 2017
    Maybe once backer money stops flowing, they finally feel the much needed pressure to deliver?
    That analogy is flawed really, you can imply that they purposely are developing the game slowly to get more money...

But here's some info... on development, time IS money, the company costs millions a month to maintain, only the base costs of almost over +360 employees is +2 Million a month alone.

So the point self-defeats itself because the time is not independent of the money it costs, it would just make the same thing more expensive to make instead.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I think the subs thing is a complete scam. Most crowdfunding projects are about connecting with their playerbase and keeping them informed via weekly/monthly updates or what have you, not charging you for "extra" content. CIG are simply 'profiteering' off something that is more or less a normal part of the process, all they've done is roll it up into some shitty chat show style videos and said "pay us to see what you should be getting for free."

Take Camelot Unchained with their generous weekly updates, they don't charge people extra http://camelotunchained.com/v3/category/news/ They don't charge extra for their streams, it's just part of it.

CIG could have the weekly/monthly newsletter, the forums and Spectrum to keep backers informed and it would still be more than enough. This multi chat show crap is just useless information overload.

If they stopped this so-called community content what would be missed?

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited March 2017
    "Celebrating Five Years of Subscriptions" for a game that isn't even a game yet should have been a hilarious joke topic, but it ended up being a true thing. *shudder*
    edited March 2017
    CIG could have the weekly/monthly newsletter, the forums and Spectrum to keep backers informed and it would still be more than enough. This multi chat show crap is just useless information overload.

If they stopped this so-called community content what would be missed?
    There's people who pay for it, there's people who want that extra layer of community content, what clearly shows when some shows were off-air for quite a bit and the subs asked them back. In fact thanks to them, several people are employed at CIG (jobs tying directly to that content). Most certainly that money is also supporting the setup of the bigger shows like the presentations at Gamescon and such.

So a scam as you call it, a scam people want, like and pay for, that everyone gets for free.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited March 2017
    I see it as a sports team mentality.  People want their team to win and are willing to spend lots of money to support it.  Just like the Cubs before they won big, a lot of people were spending lots of money on them and still supported them.  Personally, I don't see myself spending from $5K to $20K on any game or sports team but that's just me, and a lot of people appear to have no problem doing it.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    MaxBacon said:
    That analogy is flawed really, you can imply that they purposely are developing the game slowly to get more money...

But here's some info... on development, time IS money, the company costs millions a month to maintain, only the base costs of almost over +360 employees is +2 Million a month alone.

So the point self-defeats itself because the time is not independent of the money it costs, it would just make the same thing more expensive to make instead.
    What if i told you there is no 360+ employees...... its all a scam,, wake up neo.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    As someone who does not care much about the game, certainly not until it releases, and who comes on these forums, StarCitizen's, mostly out of curiosity, to see how far did they go; No, I did not know that the backers were already paying a subscription.

Made my day.
  • HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Erillion said:
    When is this game coming out? 
    No fixed date. No official announcement. "When its done"....

My personal estimate:

Squadron 42 solo game (first part, of three) ... sometime 2017 (most likely before X-Mas)

Persistent Universe Multiplayer Game (selected systems, not the full 100)  .... second half 2018

Full PE (100+ systems, all ships) ... 2019

Have fun

and last year you would have said sometime 2016, 2017 and 2019

yeap just for fun ;)
    rensta said:
    What if i told you there is no 360+ employees...... its all a scam,, wake up neo.
    I'll need your magic beans first, then i'll believe it.
  • bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    So many people caring about how others spend their money lol. Same people are probably going to church and putting their money into the donation bin. Let people do whatever they want.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    edited March 2017
    And here i am, wanting to pay for a game made by some fans in their spare time with their own money, because i loved the first game (a HL2/Source mod, but really unique, as in, they got invited over to Valve, it was used as backdrop in a random add by a big international company, and CD Project Red cited it as inspiration for working on Cyberpunk 2077), but i can't because the patreon is paused because the lead dev thinks it's not really fair taking money when development is so slow.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    So many people caring about how others spend their money lol. Same people are probably going to church and putting their money into the donation bin. Let people do whatever they want.
    There's a contradiction in your post.
This discussion has been closed.