Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Celebrating 5 Years Of Subscriptions

CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
As a special perk to celebrate 5 years of subscriptions CIG are rewarding subscribers with a  Big Bennys vending machine to decorate their hangar. You will also qualify for an exclusive discount of the Jump point magazine #3 physical print. Anyone that subscribes before April 18th will also qulaify for these perks.
Subscriptions come in 2 flavors, $10 per month (Centurion) or $20 per month (Imperator).

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/citizens/15797-Year-5-Subscriber-Perks-Update

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Wow, I never knew SC already had subs... xD

And for five years at that... *looks at the $20 version and does some quick math* ... so that's another $1200 some people have spent on this game in addition to all the ships...

I applaud the devotion you SC fans have! :pleased:

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Is this a joke?  There is no actual game yet.
    Also...

"Star Citizen is a sci-fi MMO in development from Cloud Imperium Games Corporation and Chris Roberts, designer of the famous Wing Commander and Privateer series. The game allows players to take the roles of smugglers, pirates, merchants, bounty hunters, and pilots in a sandbox universe. Star Citizen will be available for a one-time purchase fee and no subscription, with an item shop based on in-game currency for convenience and customization items."

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

In the best of times gamers often find it difficult to explain to non-gamers why they play online games.  Imagine this conversation:

Im subscribed to this awesome space game called Star Citizen!

Non-gamer friend:   How ofen do you play?

Well, the game hasnt actually launched yet.

Non-gamer friend:  Uhm, okay.   (I think it is time for an intervention),

Subscribers are quickly becoming the gaming equilvalent of Scientologists.

flizzer said:

OMG! I was literally just making that very same comparison!

flizzer said:

Might be me accurate to call them Citizenologists at this point
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    Wow, I never knew SC already had subs... xD

And for five years at that... *looks at the $20 version and does some quick math* ... so that's another $1200 some people have spent on this game in addition to all the ships...

I applaud the devotion you SC fans have! :pleased:
    SC has voluntary subscriptions since the start of the project.

It was always on the homepage as an option and has been discussed in various v-blogs and articles there.

The subscribers make all the extra video blogs (e.g. ATV, 10 for the XX etc.)  and "Jump Point" Magazine articles possible. The JP Editor and the CIG cameraman is paid from the subscriptions. Most JP articles appear on the official homepage after some delay.

Its part of the SC community voluntarily paying something extra so that the rest of the community can get more in depth behind-the-scenes looks at this project.

Subscribers get some cosmetic hangar decoration perks and can more easily test ships via REC leasing in the Arena Commander module. Subscribers DO NOT get anything that the others won't be able to get in game after launch day. That especially means subscribers do not get any special extra UBER ships or equipment.

There are no known numbers how many people are subscribers. I can only tell the numbers from my own personally known circle of SC backers - about one fourth (down from one third ... there are many more backers now) are subscribers. Of those, about one forth are Imperator subscribers, three fourth are Centurion subscribers.

Personally I can say that the fan fiction articles in Jump Point magazine alone would be worth the subscription for me. Some of the authors there could easily write excellent SF novels if given half a chance. That is also why the two (soon three) JP high quality paper print volumes have a special place in my book shelves.

Have fun

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    When is this game coming out? 
    When is this game coming out? 
    No fixed date. No official announcement. "When its done"....

My personal estimate:

Squadron 42 solo game (first part, of three) ... sometime 2017 (most likely before X-Mas)

Persistent Universe Multiplayer Game (selected systems, not the full 100)  .... second half 2018

Full PE (100+ systems, all ships) ... 2019

Have fun

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    It will come out when the Heat in the Kitchen gets turned up more.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Lol, is this some 1 april joke? I knew you could buy nice looking ships to store in a hangar, but sub? What for?
    Lol, is this some 1 april joke? I knew you could buy nice looking ships to store in a hangar, but sub? What for?
    *** What for?***

Scroll up five posts.

Or read this:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/subscriptions

Have fun

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Do the $20 per month guys not get anything more than the $10 per month guys then?
    They don't get additional ships to try out?
    They don't get additional hangar perks?
    They don't get free ship skins or free UEC or anything else to justify that additional $10 per month?

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    This is fine.
    This is fine.

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    I find this news... surprising.  I don't agree that subs are needed for them to be able to support additional marketing material considering the amount of money they have raised.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Do the $20 per month guys not get anything more than the $10 per month guys then?
    It doesn't matter because none of the subscribers really get anything worthwhile for their money. It's more like a donation to support a worthy cause.

Some people donate to poor and sick, other people donate to their religion. Star Citizen subscribers donate to Chris Roberts and Ortwin Freyermuth.

edited March 2017
    They don't get additional ships to try out?
    They don't get additional hangar perks?
    They don't get free ship skins or free UEC or anything else to justify that additional $10 per month?

Read this:

It answers your questions.

As they were rhetorical anyway, i know you will not read it. But others might.

Have fun
    I find this news... surprising.  I don't agree that subs are needed for them to be able to support additional marketing material considering the amount of money they have raised.
    Back when subscriptions were first offered ... and freely accepted to support the project .... there was no hint that such a huge sum of money would be raised during the project.

We backers do not consider it marketing material. Its additional content for the community, by the community and the dev team and voluntarily financed by the (subscriber) community.

Have fun
    edited March 2017
    Erillion said:
    Read this:
    It answers your questions.
    As they were rhetorical anyway, i know you will not read it. But others might.

Have fun

Nah not wholly rhetorical, I honestly didn't know the differences between the sub options.

So for an extra $10 you get 1 additional hangar flair, 10% more discount (usable after 12 months sub and 1 time use to a max of $100), 20,000 more REC and access to all ships in the PTU.

Edit: Ships avialable for 1 week after the patch goes live, not PTU only.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    flizzer said:
    flizzer said:

Might be me accurate to call them Citizenologists at this point
    I'm thinking the Scientology folks are taking notes.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Scientology rofl that is a fantastically apt comparison.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    This thread again reminds me of the vast gulf of though-processes between Fanboys and Haters in regards to this game.

The same "news" is seen in vastly different terms by both groups. As Mr. Spock would say "Fascinating".

Disclaimer: The terms "Fanboys" and "Haters" are not in any way discriminatory or use in a derogatory way, even if you mistakenly feel that they are. =) This apparently must be stated or certain folks will get all butthurt over being called a fan of a game. Again "Fascinating".

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited March 2017
    Jesus, what's all the hate for?
    They have subs to support their community content since as far I can remember.

Then come here with cheap psychology talk, it's just precious lol
    "Look there's people who support this game with subs, they must have a mental problem!"
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited March 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Jesus, what's all the hate for?
    They have subs to support their community content since as far I can remember.

Then come here with cheap psychology talk, it's just precious lol
    "Look there's people who support this game with subs, they must have a mental problem!"
    Hello! Devil's Advocate here.

Where is the game?

/end Advocate

See how easy it is?

Very fascinating.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

This discussion has been closed.